Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Trying to get my wife into skiing, is the best way to put her into a class? Anyone here take it up as an adult?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Thank you all!

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Hell yeah

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Residency Evil posted:

How many of us ITT grew up learning to ski on this trash mountain hill.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
7 springs is some of the worst skiing in the country and when I was 5 it was the coolest place on earth

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Wistful of Dollars posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRHDB75gkdY

Black Crows continues with their baller "Ghost Resorts" series.

As someone who lives not too far from Fortress it's neat to see this. They've been talking for years of reopening but i'll believe it when I see it. If they can keep the Cat operation going then good on them.

Sick

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
skiing some ice this weekend wish me luck

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

this is my poo poo

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Killington is as good as east coast gets right now. Put down a lot of vert with no lines today

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Probably the last day I’ll get out this year and I’m preemptively sad

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
F

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I haven’t been to crested butte in 15 years what should I know before I go again

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

waffle enthusiast posted:

What info are you looking for?

Terrain: High Lift and North Face will have the best expert terrain. Paradise and East River for more mellow options.

Food: Slogar, Thai Chili 78, Secret Stash are all good options. Honestly most everything in town is good. Though you might need a reservation on the weekends. Check early. I haven’t been to The Last Steep since it reopened under new ownership, but it was a good burger. Butte Bagels for breakfast; if you’re staying in Mt. CB: Coffee Lab.

Depending on how much your copay is:

Thank you my friend

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Steve French posted:

Almost didn’t notice this while skinning past on my tour today

Sick

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
My wife didn’t think she would like skiing so she wouldn’t let me buy her a pass or skis. We just got her boots.

At this point we have spent double that in day passes and rentals. Expensive start for her lol

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Absolutely worth it, love having her out there with me

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Anyone have any idea when passes for next season might drop? And if they drop will they let you roll spring skiing onto them? I gotta get my wife onto one asap

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

so sick

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Lmfao

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Ski recommendation request:

East coast based, looking for skis that are fun in the trees here. Because it’s the east coast, I don’t really need to worry about knee deep powder days very often. Most of the glades I find here are deep, tight mogul runs that look more like a series of trenches. I need to get better at these and have a lot of room for technique work.

That said, I’m taking some Volkl mantra m6s through these and they are supremely Unfun. They are too long (~190) and way too stiff. I’m looking for something that won’t feel like I’m trying to steer the titanic through sharp ruts.

Where should I start looking? Is 88 underfoot right? Am I looking for a rockered ski or no? If anyone has something they love for this let me know.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
The scanners at Stratton can’t even get through a pocket it’s so annoying. Let me take out my pass like a caveman

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

jamal posted:

Haven't been skiing in a few weeks and got up to the local hill after hours yesterday. Sun was out and took a little trip above and past the boundaries to the top of another mountain

It's popular to ski down to the lake there but I was by myself at the end of the day and conditions are questionable due to lots of new windloaded snow on crusts so I just came straight back down the ridge

Can't fall off of or get stranded on the chair if you don't ride them (two things that have happened in the last week or so)

about 7pm here

In conclusion skiing is fun. Getting close to 40 days for the season- more touring than lifts but have more than paid for my season pass.

sick pics

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
https://www.instagram.com/p/CrEqc6dLNWM/

Saw this live yesterday and thought this guy died. He had an ice axe fall down the hole with him and he climbed out like 5-10 minutes later. Craziest poo poo I have ever seen. He didn’t break anything just was soaking and needed to warm up at the hospital from what I heard

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

ought ten posted:

And I love that there’s also this video from the identical spot. No serious injury afaik. Tucks is such a shitshow this weekend. Glad I’m not up there.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrGMwiTOZNI/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

it was actually a ton of fun, except those 5 minutes where I thought that guy died

Also respect to this dude for sending it like that but it was a wild rear end fall

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Thinking about going back to tucks this weekend

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Steve French posted:

The moral of the story here is that I loving love skiing, and while I'm a bit grumpy that I can't ride my mountain bike yet without driving downhill a bunch, I'm not that grumpy because I can resort ski for the next two months still

The stuff palisades is doing with Donny has been really funny

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Combat Pretzel posted:

Midjourney is doesn't the gently caress know what a snowboard is, but I want the outfit it generated.

did it write the text for you too

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Snow was mushy in valle nevado today which is funny because I think when I hit mammoth last week it was nicer. The Andes are wild tho and I’ll take skiing over not skiing no matter the conditions. A+ would rec doing laps with endless bowls of raw fish to power your turns

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Big snow coming to valle nevado

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
for ice coast backcountry what width skis are you all on? I borrowed a 110 setup to ski tucks last season but it was Too Wide. I’m seeing some 88 ripsticks that I would love to ski in bounds also but wondering if that’s just too narrow, even for out here. I’m probably going to be a moron and get shift bindings so I can use whatever I get inbounds too

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Thanks goons. My experience off piste thus far has just been “that looks like a cliff drop we can hit. Those look like fun trees” so I’ll probably go with something 100+ even if I hate going that wide on ice

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Got a pair of ripsticks new for 300

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I’m ready, for snowsports

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Dumped at Alta today. Was sick

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Murgos posted:

Anyone here familiar with the family ski scene in Vermont/NH? I'm trying to plan our presidents week ski trip (T-Th) and having trouble deciding where to go.

Background is that my Wife doesn't ski and my kids are 10 and 11 and have been doing lessons at Nashoba and, this year, Wachusett and last year we did two days at Waterville Valley. So, the kids were pretty comfortable on all the Waterville Blue's last year despite the horrendous conditions but hated the one black we tried to the point that they are still worried about it. To be fair it was so icy that the slope looked like it was strewn with corpses from all the people who had fallen and we were forced into it because the blue trail we wanted turned out to be closed after we had committed.

I have no other experience in the area other than a trip to sugarbush before the kids were born.

Anyway, mostly debating either Okemo or Killington. Killington seems to get good marks generally because it's huge and theres good maintenance but Okemo seems kind of ideal because it seems that even most of it's blacks would be solid blue's somewhere else and it's still got a lot of trails even if not as much as Killington.

It's kind of important that the mountain be pretty well laid out and marked since I really don't want to end up with a situation where someone makes a wrong turn and ends up at a different base especially as its just me skiing with them and my understanding is that Killington is pretty confusing sometimes.

So, at the moment I am leaning pretty heavily toward Okemo. Any thoughts or strong opinions on this choice? If someone thinks neither of these is a good choice then that would be interesting too.

For your specific needs, Okemo is a better option. Okemo is an easier mountain to get around with friendlier terrain for beginners. It’s also less icy than killington on the trails you would be running. Both are going to be mobbed that weekend though prepare for lines

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Palisades inbounds avalanche with at least one fatality

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Steve French posted:

Yeah no worries, it took me a bit to sanity check in my head.

More sliding today inbounds as well, nobody caught in it fortunately. These aren’t normal conditions for us and it seems challenging for the established patrol operations to deal with it well.

it seems like ppl ducked the rope and triggered it for day 2

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Steve French posted:

Interesting, where’d you hear that? Seemed to me like patrol had opened the bowl but I don’t have that on solid authority. Pretty fuckin brazen and stupid if true, considering the circumstances. Guess I can’t be too surprised though

a patroller there posted that to their Insta story and then deleted it. Could be a lie/misunderstanding but the person is really a patroller there

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I have a dumb problem and someone here might have a good solution. I bought a pair of atk freeraider 15 evo bindings from an online retailer. the box was apparently opened prior but I got them in new condition for like 70% off. However, when I took them to get mounted apparently the shop needs a paper jig to do it and it wasn't in the box. I emailed ATK to see if they have a pdf they can send me but its been radio silence. Does anyone know where I could find something that works? Im kind of losing my mind trying to solve this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

George H.W. oval office posted:

Buy a new set and return it after you make a copy

this seems like a good plan b if the pdf doesnt materialize somehow