Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So I'm kind of learning snowboarding in an indoor place, for eventual snowboarding in the alps. I'm kind of annoyed by the rental boots. They seem to be some old rear end version of the Burton Imprint boots, and I'm not too impressed by their fit. Is it worthwhile to get my own boots quite ahead of time (i.e. the vacation)? It feels like the better the fit, the easier to control the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Went to the shop today for some proper boots. Jesus Christ, what a difference in fit vs. those rentals.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What style of knee protector works the best for whenever my front facing edge of the snowboard grips accidentally when facing the downwards slope and throws me over forward? I'd prefer not loving up my knees on hard ground (indoor).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Thanks for the suggestions. I currently used my mountain bike ones, which are a centimeter of hollow patterned D3O foam, but I still hosed up my knee yesterday that it swelled up (again). Probably because of poo poo fit over thermal underwear.

https://www.endurasport.com/mt500-lite-knee-pads-black/12928809.html

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

How much of a difference does a wide snowboard make compared to a normal one? I'm asking due to what's available in remaining stock of last year models. For instance, when I look at a Capita Mercury board, the 155 size has a waist of 255mm, whereas the 156W has a waist of 261mm. It's "just" 6mm, but when I keep reading about wide boards, they're "oh so much harder" to switch edges on.

(For another example, sizes 159 vs 158W, the difference is 4mm, from 259mm to 263mm.)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Thanks for the help. I guess I have to risk it, because there's decent discounts on remaining stock. That said, after more endless reviews, maybe it'll be a D.O.A instead. Guess I shouldn't go too stiff at this stage. That said, I hate that drat silkscreen on it (--edit: of the '22 version).

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 21, 2022

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Montec/Dope clothing? Any opinions? They seem to be super polarizing for some reason. I'm looking for a hoodie style shell and they seem to have the most variation in design and don't break the bank.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm still on the indoor track, learning. Given that I'm riding a cheap badly maintained rental, that I have issues to get the board gliding on a flatter decline is presumably normal?

Also, can't wait for my new own board arriving. I'm starting to regret insisting on the 2023 model, due to the wait. Today I went through three rentals. One had a tear in the toe strap, nearly all the way through, the second one had a broken ratched, and on the third one a binding was loose from the get-go. And this is the "best" and longest indoor track in a reasonable vicinity.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

babby's first snowboard is here :woop:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Just hope my eyes weren't bigger than my skills. That said, in retrospect, I guess I'm glad I started learning on a flat base instead of a rocker. Guess this'll be somewhat manageable.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anyone been at Les Arcs in France? That place good?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So I rode my DOA / first own snowboard the first time yesterday. Quite a few reviews were touting this an advanced intermediate board and there were a few rare claims says that its edges were actively trying to get you if you weren't on your game. Considering I'm a beginner that rode indoor so far only, and we finally moved from the blue to the red slope the same time, the board was pretty manageable, not eating any snow unlike the expectation that was setup via these reviews, and we ended up zipping down the track way faster than all other days up until now.

tl,dr: gently caress Youtube reviewers and rental gear.

Also, we booked Les Arcs for the second week in 2023 :woop:

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 19, 2022

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Are there any lists or wikis that maintain info about helmet-goggle compatibility, that one ought to know about?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Not much shops around here, nor with much (varied) stock. I guess I'll have to make extensive use of return policies to have one ready for vacation. I have a POC Obex and want to match an Anon Sync to it. Fingers crossed.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Gave waxing my board an attempt. I did apply the wax in the kitchen. Seen guys on Youtube do it there, too. However my smooth brain then figured to just scrape it there. My kitchen floor's sure slippery now, don't know about the board yet.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Is there any appreciable difference between a mountain bike backpack and a ski/snowboard one? I have former, I'm evaluating whether I need another one.

Also, anyone been to Les Arcs via Bourg Saint-Maurice and stayed in that Hotel Basecamp Lodge? How is it? I'm looking into booking it for mid February.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yea, resort and mostly just snacks and water. I could stash the snacks in my front pouch, but I'd rather not fall with the chest on a (plastic) water bottle. The backpack also has a built-in back protector, that might be useful.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Two of these, one each pant leg pocket, I guess that's an idea.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

jamal posted:

I have a 500ml soft flask (this one but there's lots of stuff out there) i just put in an inside pocket of my ski jacket along with snacks and then don't have to wear a pack and can ski a good part of the day without stopping in the lodge.
I found this one on Amazon, selling to Europe. There are quite a few complaints that the water tastes plasticky. Was this the same to you? If so, how did you "fix" it?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Interesting. I have a Camelbak backpack for mountain biking, and I find it relatively neutral. So if a Hydrapak is same or less, I guess everything's fine.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

We've rented an apartment near Lech in Austria for second week of January, and it's been a pain to see everything melt away day for day on webcam. :(

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Too bad I have only so much paid vacation in a year, the season is that short and TGV/Thalys tickets being that costly, because I've now checked the route and bought the tickets to Bourg St. Maurice, and it starts right away 200m from home at our Hillbilly train stop. So I don't even need to take a car to anywhere at all. :haw:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

First actual snowboard vacation is already trippy. European blues that are way steeper than 25% in sections, narrow cat tracks on steep hillsides not secured with nets, white out while on top of a run on this afternoon on the first day. Sure nice for a beginner. :suicide:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

IDK, the third day down here in Austria, as a beginner, I widely prefer hosed up tracks to icy hard groomed tracks.

Also, snowboarding seems easier shitfaced coming from Apres-Ski. I made the 3km down from the party tent way smoother than anything else today.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Youtube got flooded with Step-On reviews while I was away in Austria this week, besides the eternally hounding Step-On ads on Facebook. Next week I'll be hitting the indoor slope on Friday, and Burton happens to have Step-On tryouts there. Jesus Christ, since I have a mild interest for these anyway, I guess I will be owning some soon it appears.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I tried these Step-Ons. Them nice.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I need to learn how to ride within deep ruts and bumps better, i.e. a hosed up track, and/or figure out how to emulate it (see end of post).

I went to the Belgian High Fens today, because there's a workable layer of snow since a week now. But the lift there drove me crazy, because the track under it was FUBAR. 3 in 5 other snowboarders planted themselves, too, attempting to use the drag lift, but the other 2 of the 5 coasted through it like it's nothing, so I guess it's a learnable skill. Some skiers also seemed to have issues with it, so it wasn't nothing.

I would have given it more attempts, but the wait at the lift was like 20-25 mins at some point, so I lost interest. That's too long of a wait for a measly 700m run on a rectangular prairie.

--edit: Any tutorial videos I just checked had their drag lifts run noticeably slower than what that place today did. Heh.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 28, 2023

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Ohtori Akio posted:

I care about my wrists a lot, anyone have a favorite wristguard? I'm seeing the Demon Flexmeter recommended a lot but it's pretty expensive for what I assumed is a glorified splint.
drat, they some bulky wrist guards.

I have the Burton ones. They seem to be generally be more flexible than others, which is kinda nice, but I guess it's a trade off against chance of wrist breakage. Had to buy larger gloves to fit over them, tho.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Fifty Three posted:

One complaint- we had a very new skier in our group this year, and internet searching led us to believe Sun Valley would be a good pick for them to get comfortable. This was not the case- they have exactly one truly beginner level green and it's at the River Run base, which we didn't start our first day at. Every other green seemed unusually difficult to our entire group compared to greens we've seen at Whistler, Lake Louise, Park City, Killington, and local hills. Very weird experience, frustrating and discouraging for our new skier. Hoping to get them back on the horse sooner rather than later. :smith:
Same poo poo happened to me and my sister on our first actual snowboard vacation. Austria, at least where we were, did seem to play it a bit loose with track colors. On the blue runs, there were more than a few sections that were steeper than 25% (the indoor track we learned at was 25%, and these bits were definitely way steeper). I suppose that's unavoidable depending on the terrain, if you don't want to mark absolutely everything red. It was a bit discouraging the first two days, tho.

One of the other guys, a better rider, went solo for a while, to the other side of the mountain and found one of the blues on our side marked as red. I guess they didn't update their maps :haw:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Jesus loving Christ. Start of January, I happened to end up on the tail of heat wave in the Austrian mountains, making the slopes terrible, and now few days ahead of my trip to France, temperatures are rising down there. :argh:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Krogort posted:

It's one of the worst year in France weather wise, there have been no rain or snow in about a month, with is the longest streak (in winter) since records began.
So you got old snow that is getting warmed up. They predict it should snow next week though.
I'm only on the slope Monday to Wednesday. First snow is announced to come Wednesday evening so far. Hope that'll move forward until then. For Tuesday, they currently predict up to 6-11°C depending on altitude.

Hopefully it'll end up in slush all day. I'd probably prefer that to the icy poo poo last month in Austria. Not a good year to start with snowboarding so far. :[

--ninja edit: Then again, it'll probably be the same poo poo as last month, too. As soon as I leave the place, it starts snowing like a motherfucker.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

poo poo’s melting here at Les Arcs, at 12°C. :argh:

Also, so much loving ski school classes. Yikes. I picked the wrong week.

Other than that, it’s nice riding here. What bothers me the most are skier slowpokes on the cat trails, killing my and other snowboarders’ momentum. That said, it’s like eight pairs of ski per snowboard here.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Krogort posted:

I'm going there in a couple weeks, hopefuly it gets colder. This is very strange weather for february but those oddities are getting more and more common in europe.
And yea, it's school holiday in France so it is got to be packed with kids.
Hrm. This week is carnival in my region. The company closes down on Mondays and Tuesdays, some union negotiated thing (since people are getting shitfaced all weekend and on the main event on Monday, too). So it only takes three days of PTO to take the whole week.

Hope it doesn’t coincide with their holidays next year.

That said, the weather report predicts negative temperatures at the end of the week, and some minor snow so far.

That’s on a lift at Vallandry earlier today, which got hit the hardest by the current weather:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Now that I'm back from France, while Les Arcs was nice in regards to slopes, I guess due to school holidays/being touristy or whatever... The amount of people with talent of stopping and/or blocking in the worst possible places for no good reason (e.g. loving about with their phones, random need to hug their partners(???), or just generally a thumb up their asses) was kinda astounding. And generally people stopping in the middle of crossings were slopes joined.

I think the worst I had was that family on the entrance of that 40-50ft wide cat trail across a mountain ridge, arguing rather aggressively which way to go, while also spread all across it, spazzing back and forth on their skis and waving around with their poles, making it super sketch to get past them.

I guess it had its advantages, because it eventually pushed me more towards the red slopes, because these were practically clear of such folks.

Also, what is it with people doing close fly-bys when there's ample space? On more than one occasion I had skiers fly past my back at just 2-3ft distance, despite plenty of space on either side, for no other reason other than apparently challenging themselves with a moving target or whatever. Found that less fun, because an untimely edge switch could have caused drama.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So I fixed up the timeline of my Slopes recordings. 138km / 85.7mi down the hills over three days, that an OK trip?

Wish the goddamn train ticket wasn't that expensive (on short notice) and that long of a ride, otherwise I'd arrange for another weekend. gently caress living in the flat lands of Northern Europe. :(

--edit: vvv Send some of that snow across the Atlantic pretty plz.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 24, 2023

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Loosely planning next year's trip, I've been poking hotels around Val Thorens for prices, and they're sure something. :stare: Doesn't seem solo friendly in that regard. At least if you want a room entirely for yourself. Heh.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That kind of wear with Boa and speedlace boots is to be expected, because rubbing due to the motion of the whole boot when wrangling them around? My older Rulers have some of that, and my newer Photons, that have actually more mileage on them now, do too. Not to the degree of the following not-mine image:

(I put some supersticky electrical tape kind stuff there earlier today to take the wear.)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Krogort posted:

Val Thorens is one of the most expensive resort.
Ah too bad for that. It looked interesting, because they have their infrastructure set up nicely, i.e. dedicated bus lines from the train station 45 mins away to the town. When I looked at Portes du Soleil, so far it looks like you had to organize the trip from/to the train station yourself.

Krogort posted:

You can try UCPA, best ski for your bucks at around 1000 euro for the week including lift, food, ski instruction (or off piste guide) and they give you ski/shoes/backpack/showel/arva.
However it's 4 person per room and seems to be one bathroom per two rooms.
Thanks for pointing that one out. I'm split on the shared bedroom thing. Or the very least the shower per person ratio. The hotel I went to in February had four person hostel rooms with a shower each.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Moot .1415926535 posted:

It’s very subjective, I ride switch at -3° and 9. I tried evening it out to -9, 9 and it was killing my back calf. But I guess if you’re new you have the opportunity to learn at whatever angle and it’s not a big adjustment.
I’m riding 18/-9.

Both feet perpendicular to the board is kinda peculiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

How much of an effect does that 3D shaping of the nose and tips tails on Bataleon snowboards have?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 15, 2023