Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Gettin' in on the first page. Last year living in Japan's snow country for me, going to make the best of it snowboarding in Myoko / Yuzawa / Hakuba area as much as possible. Maybe taking a trip to Hokkaido if things line up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Yuns posted:

I know The Good Ride doesn't have a good reputation for reviews but I didn't think much about it until I just saw their most recent review of the Gentemstick XY, a board I own. They said that the tail would wash out and it wouldn't hold an edge and was much better in powder. I have no loving idea what board they rode.

Their review
https://thegoodride.com/snowboard-reviews/gentemstick-xy-2019-snowboard-review/

Me on the XY last season on east coast hardpack

Some random guy not washing out
https://vimeo.com/209492639

Watching their video every heelside turn is just knees locked flopping back towards their butt, no controlled pressure on the edge. Just watching those I expected them to chatter and skip out, either the board saved them or they cut out all the falls.

Some heelside turn content / casual cruising stoke fuel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbfmefzNYuk

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Korua Vol. 7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCN0MQdDE0I

Spring (summer?) party boarding, not the usual carving.

Mongoose fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 7, 2018

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

*PUNCH* posted:

I feel like if I met a park like this I might actually be inclined to dip in and learn a thing to two... it looks way more fun and less high-consequence than the formal comp stuff, and I'm one of those weirdos that's comfortable doing side hits but gets weird with a lot of hangtime. Also, yeah, way less boring.

Come to Japan! We have lots of bank yards / flow parks / natural gullies. Small mountains but lots of snow so we make the best of it.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Yuns posted:

I'm super excited for the beginning of the northeast/midatlantic season. I've dropped from 240 lbs at 35%+ percent body fat last season to 150 lbs at about 8% now so it's going to be interesting to see how all my snowboards ride when I'm 90 lbs lighter. Landing jumps is going to be way way easier on my body now though.

Congrats man, you're going to be an unsinkable shred god. I'm pretty interested in how the board performance (float, flex, edgehold) changes for ya!

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

the bsd boys posted:

Yesterday I went snowboarding for the first time.

I fell down a lot, and then I fell less. It was great and I can’t wait to collect more interesting new bruises next weekend

Keep it up! It's like 3-5 days of falling down a lot, then a whole new world opens up to you. You'll just get better and it'll become more and more fun. 5 years 150 snow-days later you're blissed out in a flow-state flying through some powdery trees laughing uncontrollably and having the best time of your life.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Kalman posted:

http://grantland.com/features/the-wet-stuff-verruckt-waterslide-schlitterbahn/ is a good (pre-accident) read on where all if it started out.

This was good. I'm definitely going to Schlitterbanh New Braunfels next time I'm in Texas.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Yuns posted:

I'm making my daughter wear blue leopard pattern ski pants this year because they were on sale. She hates them. Am I a bad parent or the worst parent?

She'll appreciate the pictures when she gets to college, be sure to take a lot of them.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
It's been a surprisingly good start to the year over here in central Japan. The official winter forecast is warmer and less precipitation than average, but we've had consistent moderate snow in the mountains for a couple weeks now. Myoko has gotten 4 meters / 13 feet in the past 14 days. It's been fun slashing easy access powder every day, but I'm hoping we get a tiny warm spell to solidify the flat tree traverses and buried creeks soon.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I have only been skiing a couple seasons now, but have noticed some behaviours on the mountain that I find, well, questionable. I was wondering if the wonderful skiing goon hive-mind could weigh in on a few behaviours for me. Are these faux pas or am I just a grumpy old?

--People wearing speakers/boombox like things blasting their music for everyone around them. This is especially bad when waiting in a lift line when the lift attendants have their own (usually a much better choice/selection) music playing.

--People in a crowded lift line not filling/blocking people from filling up a lift seat to designed capacity.

--People smoking weed in front of kids. I imagine this is much more an Oregon/Colorado thing than a Utah thing.

Sorry, I'm a speaker bad. I keep a UE Roll in my backpack and listen to ambient music while I ride lifts alone and ride trees. Headphones cut off awareness and especially for solo riding it's nice to have a rhythm so I don't get too in my head overthinking about what I'm doing next. I turn it off when loading lifts, though lifts are usually no-wait-ride-on where I am. Japanese people mostly refuse to fill lift chairs to capacity, almost all quads end up with 2 people riding them. No weed here, but lots of beer and sake, mostly consumed at the restaurants or just outside.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
On boot chat, the best solution is to go to a trusted shop with good knowledgeable personnel, then ask them to help fit you into some comfortable snowboard boots. Hope that helps.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Spime Wrangler posted:

Doing this xc race is now officially a mistake. After a pretty tame early season it's now been snowing all week and really started nuking last night through tomorrow and I can't skip work to rip laps because I have to be rested on Saturday. :manning:

Sacrifice the race. Ride the pow.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Yuns posted:

Was reading an old page accidentally but I regret nothing.

To add actual ski/snowboard content, I'm doing a long term demo of a new for 2020 board, the Never Summer East. This is Never Summer's new east coast conditions/boardercross board. It is hybrid camber, Never Summer ripsaw RCR camber but has extended camber zones with a super long effective edge right out to the blunt low rise tip and tail. It also has a new faster race base. It's meant to be a BX board or ice/hardpack east coast board. It carves incredibly and is surprisingly fun. I can get my butt skimming the ground on heel side turns and hand drag on toe side turns. It's so fast too.

The middle rocker gives it some playfulness that the full camber bx boards lack. It's way more fun than you would expect from its stats on paper. I'm definitely buying one.

If I were living on the East coast, a carving board would almost certainly be the first board added to the quiver. I hope the wide / carving revolution filters into the general snowboarding image enough that some people go straight to that style and gain their control and confidence that way.

For my local conditions the Super 8 has been perfect this season. Riding deep tree pow, carving on firmer days and heading into the park when it's soft and bright. Haven't ridden any other board this season.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Aphex- posted:

Does anyone wear hoodies while snowboarding and have any recommendations or ones to avoid? I've seen a few snow specific ones that look pretty cool and more comfortable than my bulky-rear end DC jacket that's usually overkill on sunny days.

Any of the water-resistant hoodies should be good. I wear a burton one in spring and it gets the job done. Choose your favorite design / the best sale and go nuts.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’ve just found a matching jacket for this and now i am fully leaning into being a highlighter

If you go full yellow man you need some kind of comedy hat like https://vimeo.com/319218176#t=57s

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
I got really excited for 30 replies of cool ski and snowboarding talk and it's all janglin' chains. Going to go out Saturday for a nice bluebird day with 20cm of fresh. I'll try to actually take and post some pics for once.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

highme posted:

psst.. just getting the ball rolling now, but it looks like might be a EZLOUNGIN Japan trip next winter with these folks --> https://powderplanners.com/

You know, if you know anybody that likes deep poof and good foods.

You had to wait till I came back to the US huh. For anyone on the fence--go to Japan, eat amazing food, surf deep pow, talk to nice people and take lots of baths. It's always worth it.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Laserface posted:

As an Aussie temporarily in Nelson:

- I avoid Australians at all costs
- the vertical here is definitely a challenge. I'm riding less laps but heaps more vertical (3.3km yesterday)
- I'm better than them because I avoided whistler

Hakuba on Australia Day was the worst example of aussies abroad I'd seen. The prefecture sends out letters to locals saying "stay indoors and do not approach drunk Australians"

Yeah Australia Day is no joke. I saw a huge brawl break out in a tiny bar in Myoko when the someone suggested we listen to something other than the Australian anthem :australia:

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

To be fair, that is sort of a small-boulder-sized large boulder.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
I’m flying into Denver tonight for a social-event weekend but I’m going to stick around for a few days of riding (mon tues weds). It’s my first time to properly ride in Colorado, most of my experience is in riding heavy wet snow in central Japan. I’m going to meet a friend and drive to whatever resort seems best—he has an epic pass and an ikon pass, and I don’t have any tickets/passes. I only brought one board, my salomon super 8 160 which is a large board for my weight. I like carving, trees and pow, riding transition and general free riding. I’d like to try a bit of technical terrain but would generally prefer exploring trees or cruising through varied terrain with good flow and features.

Where should we go?

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

spwrozek posted:

I would do a Copper day and probably a Breck day. A-Basin if you want to get rowdy.

I'm back from my mini vacation. Thanks for this advice--we did Breck Monday, A-Basin Tuesday and Copper Wednesday. Breck was fun for exploring and cruising, but A-basin and Copper were amazing. We rode every zone of A-basin and had the most fun exploring the far sides of the Montezuma bowl and traversing out on the East Wall as far as possible to cruise pow in the lower east wall area. At Copper we made our way up to Spaulding bowl and found so many untouched stashes that we spent the whole day lapping it.

Overall it was awesome to see big ski resorts and big terrain in the US. I had never ridden any alpine terrain like chutes, cornices or bowls before, so I had a blast hitting those. I couldn't believe how dry the snow stayed even two or three days after the last snowfall. I was expecting sun crusts and slush, but everywhere we rode there was a soft packed powder base with dry powder on it. With a little more experience judging the snow in those conditions I think I'd spend more time in the chutes.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

denereal visease posted:

What's the state of snowboard movies in 2020, have they gone to fully digital platform-agnostic (ie, don't need iTunes or w/e) distribution? What are some good videos from the last couple years?

I always loved Airblaster and Think Thank videos, but all of my videos are like a decade old at this point and I sadly have no idea how the sport has progressed over the past ten years :(

e: and Car Danchi, gently caress I love Car Danchi

Not strictly progression but I'd recommend Side Hits Euphoria pt 1, 2 and 3, all of Korua Shapes Yearning for Turning series, Glue, and all of Xavier Delarue's How to XV videos. All of these should be on youtube.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
I'm dreaming about the conditions in Japan this year. They're getting bombed Honshu to Hokkaido with the most early season snow in a long time, while the country is also enforcing strict border restrictions keeping the usual ski tourist hordes out. It looks like endless pow with refills all day and no competition.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
The Natural Selection contest is on right now, streaming at https://www.redbull.com/us-en/live/natural-selection-tour-2021-jackson-hole-day-one.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Yeah this absolutely insane. It's such a ridiculous undertaking to build these massive jumps and keep the course closed for so long to build up that super deep powder. So far Austin Sweetin and Ben Ferguson are my favorite with their reckless redneck speed.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Ben Ferguson is a hell of a rider, god drat. Beautiful runs in the quarters.

He pulled it out big in the semi's just now. Looks like he's in the zone today!

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Krataar posted:

Wow, this is hard. Having fun but holy crap. Being on my butt for a year didn't help.

The beginning is the hardest. Take all the time you need to rest between runs, there's no prize for getting up and falling down quickly. When you decide to try something, commit to it. Snowboard handling is a lot like a bicycle --it won't turn well at super slow speeds, so you'll have to do short bursts of committing to picking up speed and riding when you want to start turning. Committing on a snowboard usually means keeping your mass forward toward your front foot instead of leaning back in fear when you get speed. Controlling and shifting your weight without leaning your upper body too much is the name of the game. Keep your chest up, and stay low and centered by bending your knees and ankles. You can always bend your knees and ankles more than you think--have someone film you for a second and it will probably confirm that you can get lower.

If anything here contradicts your instructors advice, listen to them. I'm not a snowboard instructor, just a snowboarder who couldn't ride this year and is frothing at the thought of cruising in park city. Snowboard addiction is a great modern youtube resource and snowprofessor is also older and corny but good.

Have fun!

Mongoose fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Yeah, one wheels seem to be great for cruisy snowboard style riding. A snowboarder friend of mine got one (just after I moved away) and always uploads videos of mountain road / off-road park cruising on it. I think the main issue them is that you top out at a certain speed, and if you try to push it faster down a hill its safety mechanism can kick in and throw you off of it. As long as you're aware of that issue it should be good.