Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
How has no one made a thread about this yet?

First season was pretty good. Second, so far, has been consistently good as well.

Three episodes in, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The cold opens for the first few episodes have been dealing with some real poo poo. That cop choking that black kid to death in the first episode had me feeling some type of way. I'm glad the cop dude's finally in on the secret too, but I'm also kinda disappointed he didn't already know or at least have a suspicion. He's a detective for pete's sake!

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Eh, he kinda had dirty cops to distract him last season. As soon as that was dealt with, he was probably able to focus on BL.

The show definitely feels more structured this time around. Though I hope they wrap up the Jennifer stuff quickly.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The show's definitely been about the message since the beginning, but I kinda feel like they're double downing on it this season instead of shying away from it, which is awesome. I also like the new opening for this season.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I was surprised they killed off Syonide in the premiere. Definitely didn't expect that to happen.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I was surprised they killed off Syonide in the premiere. Definitely didn't expect that to happen.

Didn’t she have Kevlar skin? That was a hell of a shoe.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They set Joey Toledo and Lady Eve up as big time threats too and they ganked them pretty quick last year too. This show isn’t afraid of offing villains ...who aren’t named Tobias.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Quality parenting tonight Jefferson.

C'mon Lynn, that comically evil scientist lady has got to go.

"I'm back."

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Look, Jefferson, if you need any advice on killing your villains, just ask your other lightning-conjuring superfriend, Flash.

He's done that tons of times and he's still happy as a clam.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

Didn’t she have Kevlar skin? That was a hell of a shoe.

Kevlar isn't actually very effective against stabby weapons.

ruddiger posted:

I'm glad the cop dude's finally in on the secret too, but I'm also kinda disappointed he didn't already know or at least have a suspicion. He's a detective for pete's sake!
I mean he had definitely been thinking about it already because when he met Black Lighting it was to tell him that he had figured it out on his own.

How are more people not talking about this show? I missed the first season and binged it this week, and I'm really loving it. I think it could have used another pass on editing for time/pacing but overall I loved so much of it. The story choices, the music, all great. Finishing the premiere and I'm probably gonna keep watching eps until I fall asleep tonight.

Edit: is there a significance to the line "I asked you a question" that I am missing? It pops up really often, is it a thing or just a phrase one of the writers likes?

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 12, 2018

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Is Anissa's girlfriend a comic character? I'm curious what her freaky skin powers are about.

Crazy scientist lady did nothing wrong.

I would be surprised if Gambi was actually dead. Part of me hopes he's actually dead since it would cheapen the reactions of the Pierce family if he came back. Then again this show has no problem killing people off so who knows.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Is Anissa's girlfriend a comic character? I'm curious what her freaky skin powers are about.

Crazy scientist lady did nothing wrong.

I would be surprised if Gambi was actually dead. Part of me hopes he's actually dead since it would cheapen the reactions of the Pierce family if he came back. Then again this show has no problem killing people off so who knows.

You don't hire James Remar as a series regular and then kill him off like three episodes into season 2. He'll be back. Then again, Black Lightning's not exactly afraid of randomly gatting major characters, so :ohdear:

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

You don't hire James Remar as a series regular and then kill him off like three episodes into season 2. He'll be back. Then again, Black Lightning's not exactly afraid of randomly gatting major characters, so :ohdear:

Especially the line with Jefferson saying "I don't believe he's dead. He has contingency plans for his contingency plans."

Good job killing him, BL!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Maybe Gambi can return as a head ghost? :ohdear:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ynohtna posted:

Maybe Gambi can return as a head ghost? :ohdear:

So it's a show about a guy living a secret double life, a respected member of the community by day and a violent vigilante by night, and James Remar would be playing his adoptive father who only appears in flashbacks and the protagonist's imagination? There's a first time for everything, i suppose.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

All the characters but young daughter especially are making all the wrong decisions - expect for Anissa, she’s the best. Jefferson and Vanessa needs to stop moping around and get on board of the asskicking train already.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It is definitely a possibility considering how often they've killed off other characters.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
They literally had gambi bragging about his self driving van. "And nobody got out when the van exploded"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'd be pretty certain Gambi was alive if the show wasn't so free and casual about killing off characters. Like I didn't even really beleived Syonide was dead until Tobias was driving her because it happened so fast. So it's totally believable that they'd kill off Gambi in a cold opening.

But I actually really liked the way they used both our expectations for a fakeout and their established precedent of killing people to play with both ideas and keep it ambiguous.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

She is a comic character but I don't think her show version matches up much at all. In the comics she's an Amazon with super strength and all the Wonder Woman stuff plus some mysterious extra powers of Wolverine healing. That was the original one at least, I don't know if the characters been revamped since then. But it doesnt seem to fit at all with the show version or whatever was happening with her skin.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 19, 2018

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It's a comic book show. I'll believe Gambi is dead when I see the corpse. And even then I'll assume the death will only last as long as it suits the writers.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
:lol: Gambi’s just like “Try harder, motherfuckers!”

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"You made some bad decisions this year, like killing Black Lightning. But you are still my love interest so I can forgive you." :j: Though Jen dropping some truthbombs on her mom was hilarious.

Not really sure why they decided to just add in a random villain with The Looker lady. Hopefully it'll tie back into the first wave of vaccine kids like Jefferson suggested and flesh that out a bit.

nine-gear crow posted:

:lol: Gambi’s just like “Try harder, motherfuckers!”

"This is very unprofessional. You do this in front of my family" :woof:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Yeah that kind of felt like the show was t-boned by an episode of The Gifted or something. Still, that fight between Tobias and Khaleel was amazingly brutal.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah that kind of felt like the show was t-boned by an episode of The Gifted or something. Still, that fight between Tobias and Khaleel was amazingly brutal.

That was a good fight. I laughed when Khalil went for some fancy flying punch poo poo but Tobias just punched him in the chest out of the air.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I want to say this plot was meant to pad out the season because they got more episodes than they thought to plot out though we'll see how it meshes up.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Man, what's with white people and their Capri Sun?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was thinking about it during the episode and how we keep remarking about how comfortable the show is killing its villains off. The conclusion I came to is that Black Lightning is just a lot truer to the comic book format than the other comic book shows. Like comic books aren't usually (or at least not when I was reading them) one shots with the villain showing up at the start and being dealt with by the end. They're also usually not long from season stories. Its usually like 2-4 issues of a story the play out within the bigger world of the comic series. I think that's what Black Lightning is kind of doing. And I think maybe that's why we keep getting surprised when an antagonist that was around for a whole arch or two gets killed off in a way we're not if on the other shows they're just around for one episode or a full season before being taken out.

I dunno, just something I was thinking when watching this and asking the same questions about the kind of out of nowhere weird moonshiner plantation slavery story.

Oddly I also think it might be why I'm always slower to watch a new episode of Black Lightning than the other shows even though I love the show. It probably doesn't work on "Villain of the Week" episodic format as well as they do and makes for a better binge, or short binges of "Book of _______" arcs.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Goddamn they went straight at the Confederate Flag thing.

Edit: Electrocuting Black Lightning seems like a bad idea.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 28, 2018

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That was a really weird two-parter, but overall I think it hit more than it missed. In particular Jeff tracking down Gambi, Jeff finding the bodies in the woods, the deaf father, Jeff's reaction to seeing the Confederate flag, and the Jeff's amusement at his "torture"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The biggest revelation tonight(or maybe I wasn't paying attention earlier): Jefferson can turn the neon lights on and off has predator cloaking on his suit.

Tobias did you forget you could turn off Khalil's legs? Or did you just let him think that you could do that?

Xelkelvos posted:

Goddamn they went straight at the Confederate Flag thing.

"Now how did you jump to racist?" :j:

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
This episode did a lot to rehab Khalil, and I can definitely understand why Jennifer still feels the connection. He's the first person she willingly showed her powers to without being afraid of a backlash, and his "what can you do in case we get into a fight?" is just so normal, comparatively.

Still tried to kill her dad though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I stopped watching season 1 after about 4 episodes because it seemed kind of bad. Does it improve a lot?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jose posted:

I stopped watching season 1 after about 4 episodes because it seemed kind of bad. Does it improve a lot?

If you didn't like it after 4 episodes, then you probably won't like the show.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Jose posted:

I think it's extremely good, but if you didn't like it from the outset, you wouldn't like it now.

What's your issues with it?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Two episode back, but the pastor yelling "I don't have to do anything but be black and die!" at Khalil was some of the most real poo poo I ever heard on tv in my goddamn life.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I don’t want Looker to be a bad guy, she’s a fellow Outsider :smith:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

ruddiger posted:

Two episode back, but the pastor yelling "I don't have to do anything but be black and die!" at Khalil was some of the most real poo poo I ever heard on tv in my goddamn life.

Yeah, this show goddamn owns.

Jefferson got his Gambi back! :woop:

And what with birthing & saving babies (one of which was breach), rescuing boyfriend from abusive mob daddy, being righteous teacher & healer, supporting each other and working together to overcome problems... It ain't the powers & costumes which make the Pierce family heroes.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"You're a strong black woman, I can tell. How did you wind up with such a weak rear end son?" :laffo:

Jeez Gambi, I thought you cared about Anissa. Instead you give her a deathtrap 3 wheel atv. Maybe he was just off his game tonight considering he decided to follow Jenifer and Khalil into the woods with a drone that had a giant spotlight attached to it.

ynohtna posted:

And what with birthing & saving babies (one of which was breach), rescuing boyfriend from abusive mob daddy, being righteous teacher & healer, supporting each other and working together to overcome problems... It ain't the powers & costumes which make the Pierce family heroes.

Very much :agreed:. Probably my favorite part of the show tbh. Jefferson and Anissa were good people trying to help their community even before they started doing superhero stuff.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Better listen to your dad Jefferson or he will slam you into the ground. :colbert:

Someone that can teleport AND knows that guns exist? He may be the most competent dangerous meta ever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Better listen to your dad Jefferson or he will slam you into the ground. :colbert:

Someone that can teleport AND knows that guns exist? He may be the most competent dangerous meta ever!

I’ll admit it, I giggled like an idiot when just casually teleported behind the dude and put a bunch of bullets in him.