Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So this was posted a few days ago, but we've got our first look at Jennifer's Lightning costume.

It makes a good compliment to Anissa's costume, but I always thought they were gonna go with purple for Jen for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My dad died start of November and I'm just getting caught back up with Black Lightning. First one I missed? Gambi's death. Whoof, I'm glad I didn't try to watch this while sitting Sheva, it's tough even a few months later. Lots of familiar feelings up on that screen.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That was a good fight. I laughed when Khalil went for some fancy flying punch poo poo but Tobias just punched him in the chest out of the air.

Chest? That was a nutcracker.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also on a slightly related, if you haven't seen it yet, you should go see Into the Spider-Verse, mainly because it's a drat good movie but also because Krondon has a small role in it as Tombstone too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Oh, something I noticed while catching up: when Kalil was hiding in the alley and Jen made a blackout and told him to follow her voice, the captions were attributed to (Lightning). I mean, we all knew she'd wind up there but I think that's a first. Maybe the captioner just forgot her name.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Oh, something I noticed while catching up: when Kalil was hiding in the alley and Jen made a blackout and told him to follow her voice, the captions were attributed to (Lightning). I mean, we all knew she'd wind up there but I think that's a first. Maybe the captioner just forgot her name.

For what it's worth, this was kind of the first moment where Jen acts like a hero of her on volition rather than being forced into, and this mini arc is all about her becoming Lightning (as the promo material explicitly confirms she will), so maybe it's dead on in this case.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The captions were doing the same thing with Anissa before she became Thunder in Season 1.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

McTimmy posted:

The captions were doing the same thing with Anissa before she became Thunder in Season 1.

Ah. I watched those live so I missed it. For some reason I really enjoy having captions on when watching streaming shows, but not over the air. Something about how I process stuff when it's on a computer.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Holy moly, the end of tonight's episode :stonklol:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Holy moly, the end of tonight's episode :stonklol:

Whale is not afraid of getting his hands dirty when he needs to and when he does, goddamn.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

In this game you can't just sit back and give the orders. You need some backbone, the willingness to really get in there and do what needs to be done. Tobias has that.

I think I liked Cutter's expression the most in that scene.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cutter is worth every dollar Tobias pays her if she was able to take out all those cops with just her knives when they had her at range with guns drawn.

Bruceski posted:

In this game you can't just sit back and give the orders. You need some backbone, the willingness to really get in there and do what needs to be done. Tobias has that.

:v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Cutter is worth every dollar Tobias pays her if she was able to take out all those cops with just her knives when they had her at range with guns drawn.

:v:

I might have my superhero shows mixed up, but isn't she telekinetic? "Shots miss her that people swear we're dead on, and her knives practically go around corners" was the line if I'm not mixing it up.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bruceski posted:

I might have my superhero shows mixed up, but isn't she telekinetic? "Shots miss her that people swear we're dead on, and her knives practically go around corners" was the line if I'm not mixing it up.

Yap now that you mention it you are right. I think it was Gamby who said that about her.

I hope she gets the chance to slap Todd because she really wants to.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bruceski posted:

I think it was specifically a low level telekinetic so she can do small stuff like that, but not bigger stuff that would require CGI or wire effects and such.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Maybe it’s just me, but having an obtrusive, distracting, mostly useless HUD inside your motorcycle helmet seems like a less-than-safe idea.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
That white lady 100% deserved her car getting blown up.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

That white lady 100% deserved her car getting blown up.

Lightning Lauren

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Gotta hand it to this show, it is not afraid to kill people off.

drat.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ApeHawk posted:

Gotta hand it to this show, it is not afraid to kill people off.

drat.

Two Deaths in one episode, one of a major secondary character and one of a minor, but recurring one is kinda a big deal. If this was a more standard Arrowverse series, Khalil would've probably gotten put into a pod rather than killed, but at this point, he's 100% in the ground

Another note, they name dropped Markovia and it's meta program. It's a neat seed if they ever want to expand the scope of Black Lightning (I sorta hope they don't).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I like what they do with the characters. At first Tobias's new tech-boy seemed like he was going to be another Khalil with conflicted emotions. Instead he's all-in and loving it, but still has the enthusiasm and attitude of an amateur.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tobias is a delight. I love him taunting Henderson.

Bruceski posted:

I like what they do with the characters. At first Tobias's new tech-boy seemed like he was going to be another Khalil with conflicted emotions. Instead he's all-in and loving it, but still has the enthusiasm and attitude of an amateur.

Ya Todd owns.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Another note, they name dropped Markovia and it's meta program. It's a neat seed if they ever want to expand the scope of Black Lightning (I sorta hope they don't).

Might just be a cute reference to how Young Justice introduced Black Lightning this season.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Last night I saw a super hero, he was black, he said this if for the streets, Black Lightning’s BACK... for a 2nd 3rd season! :woop:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I'm glad they finally had a scene of Jefferson back in school. I was beginning to wonder if he took some time off and I just missed the line. Also hahaha the principal is a real piece of work. "Please think of the real victims of racism and oppression: the poor white man."

I like that for as powerful as Blackbird Anissa is, she can still get affected by some pepper spray and overrun. Gambi better put a facemask with oxygen tank on her suit. :v:

Xelkelvos posted:

I guess it's more than a cute reference. They want that sweet sweet meta tech.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I like that for as powerful as Blackbird Anissa is, she can still get affected by some pepper spray and overrun. Gambi better put a facemask with oxygen tank on her suit. :v:
Doesn't her power only work when she holds her breath? How did she get out of that situation? Also, Blackbird?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm glad they finally had a scene of Jefferson back in school. I was beginning to wonder if he took some time off and I just missed the line. Also hahaha the principal is a real piece of work. "Please think of the real victims of racism and oppression: the poor white man."

The principal is interesting because he desperately wants a cookie for overcoming his hard scrabble origin story (He ate dog food you guys!), and Jefferson is so not going to.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

The principal is interesting because he desperately wants a cookie for overcoming his hard scrabble origin story (He ate dog food you guys!), and Jefferson is so not going to.

Addressing Intersectionalism is cool and good and it is interesting to note that Jefferson was from a probably decently off family and so to compare him with a white person who grew up poor introduces another dimension of the divide.

But that Principal is definitely channeling a perspective that a lot of rags to riches sorts of people have where they believe that because they climbed up out of poverty and hardship, everyone else must be able to as well and if they can't, regardless of the reason, then that's their issue and not one of the system or others.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tiggum posted:

Doesn't her power only work when she holds her breath? How did she get out of that situation? Also, Blackbird?

She eventually held her breath and did her thunderclap shockwave thing to knock them all down. The gang member said people have been calling her Blackbird, referring to the vigilante version of Anissa.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
oh man I hope we get a musical reference to the Blackbyrds during one of her fight scenes because their music is amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHB0EWtfqBQ

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Todd exited the show like he entered it; suddenly and without anyone really caring.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bruceski posted:

Todd exited the show like he entered it; suddenly and without anyone really caring.

That was weird. Why did they want to kill him? He seemed to be completely loyal and willing to do absolutely anything Tobias asked.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tiggum posted:

That was weird. Why did they want to kill him? He seemed to be completely loyal and willing to do absolutely anything Tobias asked.

Generally I think that now that Tobias has lost his family he's surrounding himself with people he calls "partners" but sees as completely disposable once their immediate value is gone, in a contrast to the good guys who keep pulling closer together. I doubt even Cutter is immune.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Masters of Disaster is a very comic name. I love it.

Bruceski posted:

:rip: Todd

Bruceski posted:

Generally I think that now that Tobias has lost his family he's surrounding himself with people he calls "partners" but sees as completely disposable once their immediate value is gone, in a contrast to the good guys who keep pulling closer together. I doubt even Cutter is immune.

Hey, he still has his painting of his sister :v:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Jennifer is one of my favorite characters on tv right now.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Hey, he still has his painting of his sister :v:

I love that it's staying ambiguous whether he's actually broken in that respect or knows that it's just a painting and a chance for him to tell himself what he knows she would say.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Cutter 100% knows how Tobias operates and would probably stab him in the back if the going got rough.

:rip: Todd though. They didn't actually show him driving, so it could be one of those things where they kill him off ambiguously in case they want him back.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Cutter 100% knows how Tobias operates and would probably stab him in the back if the going got rough.

:rip: Todd though. They didn't actually show him driving, so it could be one of those things where they kill him off ambiguously in case they want him back.

I said Cutter isn't immune, not that he wouldn't get a knife in the eye the moment he thought about it.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Xelkelvos posted:

If they do this, I think it would only be as part of Cutter's exit strategy from Tobias. He even mentions she had initially refused to do it, so maybe she sees that Tobias has a new superpowered toy and thinks she might be on the hit list at some point too. So she lets Todd in on the situation and helps him fake his death, in exchange for a plot device to be named later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

What the hell, I didn't even know he was the dude in the car that blew up until I watched this week's recap. Me and my roommate were even asking each other who was the rando who got blown up in the car since they never show Todd's face when he was driving, just his hand sticking out the window. Also, how the hell did I miss that Lala's whole "ghost friends" deal was caused by Tobias? I don't remember that scene at all.

Good use of "Slipping Into Darkness" by WAR during the opening tho. And I'm almost positive the mad scientist guy who brought back Lala was Michael Wright, who played Clinton in The Wanderers and the gang leader in the Jim Belushi movie The Principal.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 5, 2019