Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'd be pretty certain Gambi was alive if the show wasn't so free and casual about killing off characters. Like I didn't even really beleived Syonide was dead until Tobias was driving her because it happened so fast. So it's totally believable that they'd kill off Gambi in a cold opening.

But I actually really liked the way they used both our expectations for a fakeout and their established precedent of killing people to play with both ideas and keep it ambiguous.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Is Anissa's girlfriend a comic character? I'm curious what her freaky skin powers are about.

She is a comic character but I don't think her show version matches up much at all. In the comics she's an Amazon with super strength and all the Wonder Woman stuff plus some mysterious extra powers of Wolverine healing. That was the original one at least, I don't know if the characters been revamped since then. But it doesnt seem to fit at all with the show version or whatever was happening with her skin.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was thinking about it during the episode and how we keep remarking about how comfortable the show is killing its villains off. The conclusion I came to is that Black Lightning is just a lot truer to the comic book format than the other comic book shows. Like comic books aren't usually (or at least not when I was reading them) one shots with the villain showing up at the start and being dealt with by the end. They're also usually not long from season stories. Its usually like 2-4 issues of a story the play out within the bigger world of the comic series. I think that's what Black Lightning is kind of doing. And I think maybe that's why we keep getting surprised when an antagonist that was around for a whole arch or two gets killed off in a way we're not if on the other shows they're just around for one episode or a full season before being taken out.

I dunno, just something I was thinking when watching this and asking the same questions about the kind of out of nowhere weird moonshiner plantation slavery story.

Oddly I also think it might be why I'm always slower to watch a new episode of Black Lightning than the other shows even though I love the show. It probably doesn't work on "Villain of the Week" episodic format as well as they do and makes for a better binge, or short binges of "Book of _______" arcs.