Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah that kind of felt like the show was t-boned by an episode of The Gifted or something. Still, that fight between Tobias and Khaleel was amazingly brutal.

I want to say this plot was meant to pad out the season because they got more episodes than they thought to plot out though we'll see how it meshes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Goddamn they went straight at the Confederate Flag thing.

Edit: Electrocuting Black Lightning seems like a bad idea.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 28, 2018

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Jose posted:

I stopped watching season 1 after about 4 episodes because it seemed kind of bad. Does it improve a lot?

I think it's extremely good, but if you didn't like it from the outset, you wouldn't like it now.

What's your issues with it?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Holy moly, the end of tonight's episode :stonklol:

Whale is not afraid of getting his hands dirty when he needs to and when he does, goddamn.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bruceski posted:

I might have my superhero shows mixed up, but isn't she telekinetic? "Shots miss her that people swear we're dead on, and her knives practically go around corners" was the line if I'm not mixing it up.

I think it was specifically a low level telekinetic so she can do small stuff like that, but not bigger stuff that would require CGI or wire effects and such.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
That white lady 100% deserved her car getting blown up.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ApeHawk posted:

Gotta hand it to this show, it is not afraid to kill people off.

drat.

Two Deaths in one episode, one of a major secondary character and one of a minor, but recurring one is kinda a big deal. If this was a more standard Arrowverse series, Khalil would've probably gotten put into a pod rather than killed, but at this point, he's 100% in the ground

Another note, they name dropped Markovia and it's meta program. It's a neat seed if they ever want to expand the scope of Black Lightning (I sorta hope they don't).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

The principal is interesting because he desperately wants a cookie for overcoming his hard scrabble origin story (He ate dog food you guys!), and Jefferson is so not going to.

Addressing Intersectionalism is cool and good and it is interesting to note that Jefferson was from a probably decently off family and so to compare him with a white person who grew up poor introduces another dimension of the divide.

But that Principal is definitely channeling a perspective that a lot of rags to riches sorts of people have where they believe that because they climbed up out of poverty and hardship, everyone else must be able to as well and if they can't, regardless of the reason, then that's their issue and not one of the system or others.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Generally I think that now that Tobias has lost his family he's surrounding himself with people he calls "partners" but sees as completely disposable once their immediate value is gone, in a contrast to the good guys who keep pulling closer together. I doubt even Cutter is immune.

Cutter 100% knows how Tobias operates and would probably stab him in the back if the going got rough.

:rip: Todd though. They didn't actually show him driving, so it could be one of those things where they kill him off ambiguously in case they want him back.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Oh poo poo the return of LaLa. I want him to kill more people so that there will be more and more people in his head entourage for him to argue with. We can rebuild him from his exploded remains, we have the technology giant fishbowl full of goo.

So Grace is some sort of shapeshifter?

It was Lady Eve that brought him back the first time iirc. So yea Tobias adjacent.

I was sorta expecting his brother to be in the back seat behind him in that last scene with LaLa. I want to say that the jury is still sorta out as to how technological LaLa's whole immortality thing is. Idk what kind of technobabble explanation there is for the tattoos suddenly appearing on his body as he starts hallucinating them.

I was honestly expecting Lady Eve in the fishbowl initially though.

But RIP Todd, I think the door's fully closed on his status barring the same procedure that was done to LaLa being done to him.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tiggum posted:

If Tobias has that technology/magic that can bring people back to life, why doesn't he use it to bring other people back?

The resurrection stuff is Lady Eve's.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ruddiger posted:

I was telling my roommate last night the problem with this show is that the music is so drat good, you kinda want the characters to stop talking so you can listen to the song by itself. That song playing under the scene with Lala and the doctor was flames.

Speaking of that guy, I'm curious if he doesn't have a tank set up for Lady Eve or something. An untimely death seems like something she'd prepare for, particularly one caused by Tobias.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

shades of eternity posted:

yeah not bad, but yesh lightning is kinda lame in her story arc.

We finally got the big black lightning vs tobias fight we've been waiting for.

Lala needs to start absorbing other dead. Bring back that dead techie for starters because honestly he died prematurely.

but cripse, they need to reinforce the buddy system.

and maybe, just maybe, we can finally put tobias whale on legends of tomarrow. :)

Tobias is in super secret triple probation until they feel like he's appropriate to trot out again. I'm kinda disappointed that the Grace plotline is basically on the furthest back burner while Painkiller is also on ice so he's another piece of salvo ready to be launched, just in case.

The plots are starting to veer into Arrow territory where the scale of the plot is stretching way beyond Freeland. That said, we'll probably be getting characters like Geo-Force and Halo and maybe Metamorpho to fill out all of the unused OG Outsiders. The new villain would likely be Baron Bedlam and/or the Bad Samaritan.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcHG6xoU6fw

Season 3 trailer for the five people who're still following this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
This season feels almost Arrow-esque in how the stakes are being crazily raised. I hope they handle it a little better than Arrow does though since the citywide occupation seems to be much more open and longer lasting and the series does also tend to focus on the effects of the series's goings-on in the rest of Freeland rather than just what directly affects the main cast.