Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pesky Splinter posted:

Someone's compiled a list of the easter eggs they noticed in series 2.

Some of them are obvious, but some are pretty obscure..

I wish I'd've seen this before I read a bunch of wikipedia pages about video games to see if they were referencing actual video game things since I've only barely played any of them. I got the giant Dracula fireball that you have to hit back at the boss, though.

Hra Mormo posted:

Honestly other than being cel shaded I don't even see Castlevania as an anime. The people all actually look like people, the tropes aren't non-existant but are subtle and rare. Despite being based on japanese source material I'd outright call Castlevania a western-style cartoon with anime influences. But I guess where the line of "anime or not" falls could be argued until the heat-death of the universe.

Based strictly on the Hair Test, it's anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

evilmiera posted:

I skimmed through the last one just now. So I can attest to that!

Welp, presuming that ending is going to lead to a new teamup of the three heroes so as to avoid a massive turn to villainy.

How was the season as a whole

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The source of Alucards sexual powers, revealed

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The action choreography (?) in this show is very good. Sypha's stuff reminds me very much of ATLA, which is about the highest praise I can give to animated action. Not only is the action dynamic and well directed, but her clever use of powers is fresh as hell. I was impressed by her stuff in last season's climactic fight, I loving love everything she did this season. I also love how much fun she has being a badass, usually characters in her role in the narrative end up being wet blanket scolds. They don't put that on Trevor either, it was cool seeing two protagonists in perfect sync just continuously killing it rather than getting in each other's way. Also Trevor's whip stuff generally and his little Spike Spiegel routine vs the alley monks specifically were excellent.

All the new voice cast is great. Jason Isaacs always brings 110% to every role, Nighy is great playing against type, Jessica Findlay Brown and the other vampire sisters were excellent too.

When Warren Ellis is fully powered up, his storytelling and dialogue is as good as it gets

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I assume the Issac wizard fight was an homage/reference to this.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well I'm afraid that Granfalloon kicks the poo poo out of the other name.

Warren Ellis does pretty famously not give a poo poo about "established Castlevania lore" so when I see something that's supposed to be a nod to the video games (something more subtle, like Trevor grabbing the axe with his whip and using it to kill the dude in the air) or even huge rear end bosses I wonder if that's coming from the art and animation department, or Ellis saw a picture of the giant ball of dudes and was like, oh that I can use. Like I said, whatever term is analogous to fight choreography in animation in this show is outstanding, and I don't know how involved Ellis is in that and how much comes from the people actually putting pen to paper.

I appreciate that they give all the night creatures unique and hosed up designs, rather than a horde of the exact same monsters, but I don't know if the art style matches up with it. Of course, imo the final word in infernal imagery is Wayne Barlow so I'm going to be biased. Feels like they were going for a similar aesthetic, especially clear in their depiction of Hell itself, but like I said, I don't know if the anime style works with it as well as it could.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 10, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC apparently the way Forge Masters work is they create monsters based on human imagination.

Either way, Castlevania lore is vague and contradictory, and Ellis is apparently advised by fans of the games and I imagine not holding the series in contempt, just taking the characters and ideas available to him.

Oh I'm not saying that at all. That he's still on CV after this many episodes indicates that a) they're letting him do whatever the gently caress he wants (and you can see how bonkers it's getting) and b) that he finds the setting and characters interesting. Also probably Netflix is handing him a sack full of cash. It is very rare for Ellis to spend a long time on a single project, especially one he didn't create.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Choreography and even what monsters to use for what scenes is almost all entirely up to the directors to guide, not the writers. You'll notice that almost all monsters are called night creatures even if they're a well established folk lore being like werewolves.

BTW Trevor killing that werewolf with his bare hands was so cool. I thought this season did a better job by interspersing action scenes into the episodes rather than backloading them into basically one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All the great British comic book writers are irascible as all hell

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who doesn't love a little incest threesome with the bishiest vampire of all time? Oh everyone, drat.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Regalingualius posted:

The director already had to clarify that they’re not actually siblings.

Never a good sign

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Carmilla is an Ideas Guy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I did a rewatch before season 4 and I gotta shout out Jason Issacs, that man delivers the goods regardless of the role.

What's the best action sequence in the whole series? Granfaloon is the most interesting sequence, I think, but Sypha/Trevor vs those two angels outside the priory is probably my favorite.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hey, some of us watched the whole thing with our mothers ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah this is simply how people talk in animation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZADmRukyvA