Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Yeah actually that's the correct answer.

and they gave him another loving show

ninja edit: this was calling sons of anarchy the worst finale in the history of television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

Ending was garbage. I keep thinking about what I want to say about the season but... eh.

Oh here's something that hasn't been discussed Kathy Durant straight up stared at the camera in her last scene in the hotel right? So can just everyone break the 4th wall now? WTF is this poo poo. Oh and what happened with the bird at the beginning of the first episode? Between the bird and the ring and the way her 4th wall asides were so stilted, I really thought they were going for 'Clair is legit crazy now' but the ring was real. So was the bird real too? Are there just sparrows and poo poo hanging out inside the walls of the white house now?
The bird is meant to be real.
It's over-wrought symbolism of her letting Frank go, but then the rest of the season is just that too.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Well, there's eight hours of my life I'll never get back. What the gently caress was that ending?

I read a story where the writers considered a scenario where the Underwoods won, thus leaving everyone dissatisfied in the end, had Spacey been in the show and yeah, that's kind of what happened.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
It sounds like Dexter, where the writers forgot the main characters are actually the bad guys. What a waste, glad I gave up back in season 3.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Now that I've seen the whole thing, I'll start reading through the posts and adding thoughts:

Sinteres posted:

I feel like making her pregnant meant there was a 100% chance she was going to survive. The show's been pretty dark, but it's not Seven.

Not HoC, but Mara is killed (poisoned) while pregnant in the finale of The Shield, which was the most jarring TV thing my then-21 year old self had seen to that point.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Freddy's is namedropped in the last season.

Seth and Doug eat ribs at Doug's apartment in one of the last episodes.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Another question, what's the deal with the Vice President? I thought that he was the Not-SteveBannon guy from the previous season but he got promoted to VP?

This was the point where the show started to lose me when I posted about "Isn't there a system for this" before leaving the thread again to watch. Wouldn't the Speaker of the House automatically ascend to the VP role? I mean, they took creative liberties with something you learn about the hierarchy in god drat high school.

Plus, wouldn't he have been a Republican of some sort given he ran the Conway campaign? :wtc:

Khablam posted:

I saw the final season as Claire needing to carefully dismantle the House of Cards Frank built, with the real threat of it all falling down if she didn't do it perfectly. The series ends once the House of Cards is destroyed.
Not that they nailed this at all, but the theme was attempted.

This would be a good subtext seeing as the incompetent fuckup she was at times throughout the series. She's like if Peggy Hill became POTUS: "I can do this because I say I can and I have undeservedly-high self-confidence!"

Propaganda Machine posted:

I'm trying to watch this, trainwreck style, but the audio is so bad I've had to turn on subtitles. To whoever complained about the ADR, you're so completely right- simply confirming as a professional. Claire's 7/4 speech to the troops, right? SO BAD.

Her speeches were on par with a middle school principal.

SAY IT WITH ME! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AMERICA! :patriot:

PostNouveau posted:

They kept doing this thing this season where once Claire acted decisively, the matter just ended. So she doesn't need to have a big fight with the Senate for her Cabinet. She can just order the Justice Department to arrest Greg Kinnear and that kinda neuters him for the rest of the show, like he wouldn't have lawyers to put up a fight. The guy with the football who came to poison her she just gets taken away. Her just getting a list of names of who was in on the conspiracy to assassinate her is enough to put them all away forever, no need for any resolution other than that apparently! The president just knifes someone in the Oval Office, and I guess we're supposed to assume that's getting swept under the rug somehow.

This was the entire series, though: a series of happy accidents which just happened to work out perfectly for the Underwoods.

Mark: "I've come here to talk about the election."
Frank: "We have this audio of Conway trying to hijack his own private jet."
Mark: (pause, then with no denial at all) "...alright, here's how we're going to win you the election."

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 12, 2018

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Can't say I'm surprised at the reactions. This looked like the slowest moving train wreck ever.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Niwrad posted:

Out of all the ridiculous dumb poo poo in this season, the Vice President pulling up in a van on a public street with a dead body in the back that he's been storing somewhere and showing Claire while no one in the secret service seems to care. Couldn't he have accomplished this with a picture?

Texting her a picture could have risked them getting caught, duh. :smug:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

How did she get pregnant, anyway? There was that quick moment with the doctor talking about the risks at her age not being good, but that was after Frank died.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

How did she get pregnant, anyway? There was that quick moment with the doctor talking about the risks at her age not being good, but that was after Frank died.

Magical time-ambiguous fertilization.

Actually in Season One, specifically Chapter 13, Claire goes to a doctor to learn about fertility treatments. At this point it seems kind of like she wants to have children, but Frank talks to her and they cut that stuff out. Then in Season Two she goes back to the doctor to learn more about Gillain's placenta disorder drug in order to strong arm her with her dying baby.

So while it is still stupid since we never had any semblance of fertility treatment mentioned, it is in the show's background that she had at least explored the issue before. Additionally there is the weird medical facility that pops up twice this season so it was probably involved with that at some point.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Magical time-ambiguous fertilization.

Actually in Season One, specifically Chapter 13, Claire goes to a doctor to learn about fertility treatments. At this point it seems kind of like she wants to have children, but Frank talks to her and they cut that stuff out. Then in Season Two she goes back to the doctor to learn more about Gillain's placenta disorder drug in order to strong arm her with her dying baby.

So while it is still stupid since we never had any semblance of fertility treatment mentioned, it is in the show's background that she had at least explored the issue before. Additionally there is the weird medical facility that pops up twice this season so it was probably involved with that at some point.

Thanks.

Related, normally, I skip the intros on these shows but have a weird thing about watching the intro in its entirety for a series finale. I did that with this and Jesus, the pregnant President Claire Hale statue is symbolic of what a largely joyless clusterfuck this season was.

I also like how Duncan was meant to be a Shepherd family enforcer but then peeters out completely after finding out he's not actually Annette's son.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 13, 2018

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Thanks.

Related, normally, I skip the intros on these shows but have a weird thing about watching the intro in its entirety for a series finale. I did that with this and Jesus, the pregnant President Claire Hale statue is symbolic of what a largely joyless clusterfuck this season was.

I also like how Duncan was meant to be a Shepherd family enforcer but then peeters out completely after finding out he's not actually Annette's son.

No thanks needed, we're all just trying to move past and cope with what we've endured.

The Shepherd family dynamic was actually one of the better parts of the season aside from whatever plot about the phone app that I ignored because it was stupid and all of congress was evil or something. The weird ambiguos quasi-incest and power dynamic of a family without political office but incredible political influence was really interesting and could have been cool given that House of Cards has mostly stayed with political institution battles (Pollyhop and Raymond Tusk are the two that come to mind).

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

quote:

Cathy met with now president Claire Underwood at the White House, where she told Claire about her new job offer. Claire became convinced that Cathy had been bought by the Shepherd Family and asked Jane Davis to kill her, and make it look like a complication of an injury from her fall. Cathy went to meet with Jane at a D.C. restaurant, where she realized what was happening, and retreated to her car, where she called and cursed Jane. Cathy later faked her own death with the help of her husband, and fled to the French Alps, where she was shot by an assassin hired by Claire.

I didn't watch the season but this sounds hilarious.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

nooneofconsequence posted:

It was loving dumb, op

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I'm glad I bailed in late season 4. Holy gently caress what a disaster.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
This season sounds like a lot of very dumb fun

It also sounds unwatchable even from a rifftrax perspective- c/d?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jane dies after having been poisoned, probably initiated by Claire.

Tom Hammerschmidt is also shot execution-style in the same sequence at a hole-in-the-wall restaurant. Claire uses it as a ploy to call for better gun control, just in case you wanted the whole thing to be even dumber.

E-

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

This season sounds like a lot of very dumb fun

It also sounds unwatchable even from a rifftrax perspective- c/d?

You remember when you were in school and inevitably forgot to do a paper, so you cobbled a bunch of stuff together and hoped it sounded coherent? That's the season.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 14, 2018

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I think this is bad enough for Rifftrax, yeah. Those beautiful bastards made the Twilight series...enjoyable. Enjoyable!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I did a paper about Pride and Prejudice in high school that made a bunch of points based on events from the book, but I'd never read the book or seen the movie so my references to plot points were just references to things I was pretty sure somebody told me happened, and that paper was way more coherent than House of Cards season six.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Whooo boy that was painful. An absolute travesty.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I tried watching the British version of HoC. The story had potential, but good god the visuals. eXXXtreme closeups on 70 year old British dudes makes up over half the screen time. And even on some of the wide shots, the main guy's extreme closeup is superimposed. Was this filmed by Len Kabasinski?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It's because you don't want to see what a 90s era BBC budget produces as a set.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

So was Duncan supposed to be Claire's biological son or what was the point of all that?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Khablam posted:

It's because you don't want to see what a 90s era BBC budget produces as a set.

I suddenly understand why the British have a love for radio plays.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Even for someone who liked season 4 (thats me!), I couldnt stand this.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Niwrad posted:

So was Duncan supposed to be Claire's biological son or what was the point of all that?

I don't think that's what they were implying....although they didn't go out of their way to make it clear.

The impression I got was that:
-Claire knew that Duncan wasn't Annette's bio son because they were friends from way back. Annette decides to raise the baby to give it a better life or whatever.
-Claire decided to sit on this information and use it at a strategic time.

From the ominous way Claire tells Duncan to "Ask his mom where he came from", and with all the flashbacks showing Claire and Annette as young women, I also thought that there was more to the story than just Duncan's real mom being just some rando. And I can't tell if this was an intentional red herring or just clumsy execution.

Her plan apparently works because at this point in the story Claire has plot-armor. If Annette had told Duncan years ago that he was adopted or if Bill had been just a little more "We love you anyway, you've always been a Shepard to us" then this plan of Claire's to drive a wedge between them wouldn't have worked.

I think the point is the fact that Claire is now at a place where she is willing to use personal info from the past (that was previously considered off-limits) to further her agenda. Then Annette retaliates by leaking information about Claire's abortions. It represents an escalation in their conflict.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Bill's reaction to the whole thing was super weird. Nothing about the family's characterization before that indicated he'd all of a sudden turn like that, and they certainly seemed to be grooming Duncan to take over for his entire life.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I mean it's the exact same problem with every "situation" past the start of season 3. The Underwoods always win because the opponent either
- becomes a perfect rational actor in their schemes with no agency
- starts having a meltdown

Bill breaking down and the republican candidate with the hot wife happen at almost the same point in their respective seasons - they just disappear as opponents for no reason.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I kinda half watched this final season just out of a sense of obligation and to see if Doug finally got what he deserved. And of course, nope, he really didn't. They should've had him go back out into the woods and then make a series of bumbling mistakes that result in him freezing to death and nobody ever finding his remains.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Khablam posted:

I mean it's the exact same problem with every "situation" past the start of season 3. The Underwoods always win because the opponent either
- becomes a perfect rational actor in their schemes with no agency
- starts having a meltdown

Bill breaking down and the republican candidate with the hot wife happen at almost the same point in their respective seasons - they just disappear as opponents for no reason.

For me the absolute worst part of season 5 was how they spend soooooo many episodes on the election result and then right at the start of, I think, episode 9, they just say,"Well here is President Underwood being inaugurated after his election victory was confirmed :geno:" and that was that and I don't think you ever saw the other guy or his wife again. The only one who stuck around was his weirdo campaign manager who started hanging out with the Underwoods instead.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The premise that Doug, who had such blind loyalty to Frank, would kill him because he suddenly found he and Claire were on the same side, is so mind-numbingly stupid.

King of Foolians posted:

I don't think that's what they were implying....although they didn't go out of their way to make it clear.

The impression I got was that:
-Claire knew that Duncan wasn't Annette's bio son because they were friends from way back. Annette decides to raise the baby to give it a better life or whatever.
-Claire decided to sit on this information and use it at a strategic time.

From the ominous way Claire tells Duncan to "Ask his mom where he came from", and with all the flashbacks showing Claire and Annette as young women, I also thought that there was more to the story than just Duncan's real mom being just some rando. And I can't tell if this was an intentional red herring or just clumsy execution.

Her plan apparently works because at this point in the story Claire has plot-armor. If Annette had told Duncan years ago that he was adopted or if Bill had been just a little more "We love you anyway, you've always been a Shepard to us" then this plan of Claire's to drive a wedge between them wouldn't have worked.

I think the point is the fact that Claire is now at a place where she is willing to use personal info from the past (that was previously considered off-limits) to further her agenda. Then Annette retaliates by leaking information about Claire's abortions. It represents an escalation in their conflict.

The Shepherds struck me as too proud and egotistical to admit that Duncan's dad knocked up a maid or whatever she was so, rather than a) actually adopting him and/or b) addressing it sooner, they'd rather run with the charade and hope that it doesn't someday get exposed by the POTUS who happens to be Annette's friend from prep school because "Dear GOD, what if our social elite friends found out of these shenanigans?".

Jerusalem posted:

The only one who stuck around was his weirdo campaign manager who started hanging out with the Underwoods instead.

Mark folding like a cheap tent is my lasting impression of Season 5. As I said before:

CBJSprague24 posted:

Mark: "I've come here to talk about the election."
Frank: "We have this audio of Conway trying to hijack his own private jet."
Mark: (pause, then with no denial at all) "...alright, here's how we're going to win you the election."

...was waaaaaaaaaaaaay too convenient. He didn't resist at all, just "Alright, you got me.".

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 20, 2018

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Did the Tom Hammerschmidt storyline go anywhere? I remember they made a big deal about him for a couple of seasons quietly interviewing people and putting the dots together. I thought they were building up to some kind of scene where he finally drops the hammer to avenge his dead buddies. Did that end up happening?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Pierson posted:

Did the Tom Hammerschmidt storyline go anywhere? I remember they made a big deal about him for a couple of seasons quietly interviewing people and putting the dots together. I thought they were building up to some kind of scene where he finally drops the hammer to avenge his dead buddies. Did that end up happening?

No, lmao

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

tom hammerschmidt died on his way to his home planet

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pierson posted:

He just ended up being another person Claire killed using her magic "have anyone anywhere killed" powers

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

PostNouveau posted:

He just ended up being another person Claire killed using her magic "have anyone anywhere killed" powers

Wow really sad I missed this season

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
That was one of the most disappointing finales ever. When it came up to the last credits, I honestly looked for another episode, thinking that Netflix had glitched me back to the first season. Absolute crap, and I enjoyed this show.

The whole 25th amendment thing felt like a copy because Designated Survivor had a drat similar plot last season.

Oh yeah, I just remembered that Designated Survivor got picked up for a third season on Netflix. Maybe they can end that one better than what they did here.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Designated Survivor is literally the worst political drama made. The best ending would be just stopping.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

How in the hell did this season get "generally favorable reviews"? It's probably the worst season of TV I've ever endured (congrats, Justified S5, you're off the hook).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Cards_(season_6)#Reception

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You must've been really sheltered if you think S5 of Justified was the worst season of anything, except perhaps Justified seasons.

This was just such a mess. I really liked this show through S3 but it's been getting progressively worse since then, and by this season it was just complete nonsense. I guess I can't completely blame them for having to dump Spacey in the middle of filming but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Sinteres posted:

try to escape Kevin Spacey's taint