Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

[Thanks to my good friend AbstractCactus for the banner image!]

Clock Tower 3 is a third-person survival horror game developed by Capcom and Sunsoft and released for the PlayStation 2 in 2002. The game bares little resemblance to the previous Clock Tower games, eschewing their point-and-click interface that had defined those games for a more standard third-person control scheme. It also has nothing to do with the overarching plot of Clock Tower or its sequel, despite its numbering indicating a follow-up to those stories. Clock Tower 3 is notable for being the only video game directed by Kinji Fukasaku, best known for his directorial work on the Battle Royale film, as well as Fukasaku’s final complete product before he died of prostate cancer in 2003. The story focuses on Alyssa Hamilton, a 14-year old girl who comes home from her boarding school after her mother leaves her an ominous letter. When she approaches the house, it becomes evident that nothing is quite as she remembers it...

While Clock Tower 3 is very different from its predecessors, the core of the game is kept mostly intact. The focus is on a horror experience where the main character cannot fight back against the entities that haunt them, forcing players to evade enemies until they can find another way to confront them, while also solving puzzles and piecing together a mystery. Clock Tower 3 is mostly the same, but does provide some combat sequences that are built into the overarching story. The game also features a Panic Meter, which increases when confronted by enemies. If it gets too high, Alyssa becomes harder to control, and some actions are rendered inaccessible until the player can escape their pursuant. Some may see this as frustrating from a gameplay perspective, but it causes me massive anxiety so it totally works.

Ultimately, Clock Tower 3 was a commercial failure, failing to reach Capcom’s projected sales number of 450,000 even after a full year. Reviews cited strong presentation, including graphics, script and cinematography, but criticized the game’s short length and weak gameplay mechanics. Many fans of the Clock Tower series see 3 as a betrayal of the original games, particularly in the way that iconic characters are handled. Personally, I love the game, despite being a baby when it comes to horror. I think it captures its tone remarkably well and does a lot with what little it has, making for a game that is worth experiencing, though not necessarily worth playing. But hey, that’s why I’m here!

I’m the Rooder duder ChorpSaway, and my accompanying Subordinates are TheJayOfSpade, FutureFriend and Taoc. Together, we’ll be exploring Clock Tower’s lush world of murderers and seeing if we can’t help Alyssa out in her quest to solve her family’s mysteries.

While there isn’t much to do outside of completing the main story, I will be saving all of the Spirits haunting the game, as well as showing off the bonus content you get from completing the game.

While I know that Clock Tower 3 has a bit of a reputation amongst video game circles, I would appreciate if you would hold off talking about events in the game until they come up in a video. I feel it’s a story best experienced blind, and I want to preserve that for the unknowing audience.

ChorpSaway fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: SUPER LET'S GET STARTED! :siren:

Welcome to a world of horror like you've never seen before! In this new adventure, a young girl named Alyssa Hamilton returns home from boarding school after her mother tells her explicitly not to, in classic horror fashion. However, once she opens the door, she'll come to realize that a lot has changed in two years...

The LP will traditionally update on Sundays, including this upcoming Sunday, Nov. 4th, but it only felt appropriate to start it on Halloween. Spooky~

:siren: WOW, A PODCAST! :siren:

YouTube

MP3 Download

Another treat for Halloween: it's a horror anime podcast! This time, we're talking about the 2000 cult classic Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust! As one of the first anime movies brought to the West in order to try and market animation to adults, full of dark action and a haunting story, how does Bloodlust hold up after 18 years?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I miss that little advisory that capcom games had at the start. Or do they still do that? I never played any REs past 5 and I'm sure they didn't make any clock tower or onimusha games after the ps2.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Also one warning for upcoming videos: be prepaired, not just of acting but for ACTING you will not believe that they got someone with 41 years of experience directing films involved with the project.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What a horrible night to clock a tower...

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Loving this poo poo already

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
i think i have this game but i never got around to playing it? i guess this is a good excuse to get to that and play along

i had no idea this was the last thing the battle royale dude directed before he died either!! praying this horror video game is on like, goya's black paintings level

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, Alyssa finds herself lost and confused! After a strange happenstance in her mum's room, Alyssa stumbles into an unfamiliar part of the house, and things only get stranger from there. She finds herself in the streets of an English town, in a time unknown to her. Alyssa will need to keep her wits about her to find a way back home, and also to deal with the rude gentleman mucking up the place!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Okay, but stop.

Hammer time.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
you didn't follow up the peach's castle joke with "and now we're in bob-omb battlefield", LP ruined

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Today, Alyssa enters the concert hall to find a lost soul stuck on Earth! Of course, Alyssa can't leave someone in need, and so it's up to her to help the soul find its way to the afterlife! Unfortunately, that hammer-wielding killer is still hot on Alyssa's trail, and it'll take all her wits to be able to escape 1942 with her life! It's time to close out the first level of Clock Tower 3!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This game is pretty 103.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
You're hardly a proper magical girl if your clothes don't change. I know memory was tight on the PS2, but there are some corners you just can't cut.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

This game is pretty 103.

Log off troll, this is a Clock Tower 3 appreciation zone.

FractalSandwich posted:

You're hardly a proper magical girl if your clothes don't change. I know memory was tight on the PS2, but there are some corners you just can't cut.

Transformations come in stages. We just received our powers, the costume will come in time.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I mean she's already in schoolgirl outfit, what more is needed to be a magic anime girl?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

It took another six months for people to perfect Horror Magical Girl technology on the PS2 in Silent Hill 3 instead.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Oh man I forgot about the Silent Hill 3 magical girl game mode! Wow, it turns out that every horror game with a 3 in its name is the best in its series.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Leal posted:

I mean she's already in schoolgirl outfit, what more is needed to be a magic anime girl?
If wearing a school uniform is all it takes to make you a magical girl, I seriously squandered 12 years of my life.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I've watched Slowbeef and KillerEmcee stream Clock Tower 1 and 2, and I can safely say that Clock Tower 3 is just following along the series' footsteps in terms of how silly the villains are. I don't know what the fans of the series were thinking when they shat on this game for being a betrayal of the original series, or how it handled iconic characters. You can defeat Scissorman in 2 by covering him with a loving blanket.

David D. Davidson posted:

Also one warning for upcoming videos: be prepaired, not just of acting but for ACTING you will not believe that they got someone with 41 years of experience directing films involved with the project.

I firmly believe that the director absolutely knew what kind of game he'd be working on. He knew right away he'd be dealing with a B-movie schlock and fully embraced it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's also the fact that a lot of the cutscenes are mocapped, and it's very clear the English voice actors were not able to watch them.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Yeah but you saw some of it already but the mocap acting is still something. We'll see more next episode if I remember correctly.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Today, Alyssa returns home after a hard day of killing a demonic murderer from World War II, but it's not time to relax just yet! She has to figure out what's going on with her life, where her mum ended up, and even worse, how she's going to deal with her neighborhood friend breaking in to her room to help her out!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Can we bring back the child killing Hammerman? He was less scary.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
I really wish FutureFriend would stop with his "heh heh heh" fake laugh, it's really annoying. Even moreso since when he's fake-laughing he's not commentating.

Btw everyone should read Dark Id's LP simultaneously for maximum synergy.

E:

ChorpSaway posted:

Oh man I forgot about the Silent Hill 3 magical girl game mode! Wow, it turns out that every horror game with a 3 in its name is the best in its series.

A moment of silence for all the games that couldn't make it to 3.

Lacedaemonius fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 18, 2018

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Lacedaemonius posted:

I really wish FutureFriend would stop with his "heh heh heh" fake laugh, it's really annoying. Even moreso since when he's fake-laughing he's not commentating.

its not fake dude, i just laugh like a goblin

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > Clock Tower 3: Mum's the Word

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Today, it's time to continue our trek through the 60's! While collecting film and learning more about why we were brought to this particular area, Alyssa finds herself on the wrong end of a British invasion, and not the one you're thinking of! It's time once again for Alyssa to show off her Rooder powers and send another murderer into the depths of hell! But meanwhile, the Blobby Man has been doing some renovations on Alyssa's home, and I don't think they're to help the property value of the place...

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Haigh is just the jolliest homicidal maniac and it's adorable

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Was I supposed to find witnessing a man murdering an elderly woman and her son anything other then hilarious?

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012
God I love this game so much. I've been listening to Clock Tower tracks recently so seeing this pop up was a delight, let me tell you.

edit: link removed. Sorry, I only remember it being the Dennis Scene.

LoseHound fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 27, 2018

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
That's "hexagonal spanner", thank you. What is this half-baked Commonwealth English script? This is just cultural appropriation, this is.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

LoseHound posted:

God I love this game so much. I've been listening to Clock Tower tracks recently so seeing this pop up was a delight, let me tell you.

As much as I love that video and seeing how the mo-cap comes to life, could you please remove the link for now, or at least note that it has spoilers in it? It contains a scene much later in the game and wouldn't rather have these sorts of things saved until it's covered in the LP.
Also the Japanese VA does definitely fit the animation better than the English, so I dunno if it's a more SERIOUS game, but it does seem more tonally appropriate.

In other news, apparently John Haigh aka Corroder was based on a real murderer! I didn't know this until after we recorded, but he killed people by putting them in acid baths assuming that because there was no body to be found, he couldn't be convicted of murder. That might actually be a goofier end than he got in the game, honestly.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ChorpSaway posted:

but he killed people by putting them in acid baths assuming that because there was no body to be found, he couldn't be convicted of murder. That might actually be a goofier end than he got in the game, honestly.

This is like the bank robber who committed his crimes without bothering to cover his face because he thought putting lemon juice on his face made him invisible to the bank's cameras.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Today, we're forced to check out all of the Blobby Man's home renovations, starting with the basement! Unfortunately it's not just bad aesthetic choice that's waiting for us, because he left a little surprise for us, and surprise I mean another Subordinate! Chopper is our toughest opponent yet, but it seems like amidst this puzzle basement lies an important secret for the Hamilton family...

Leal posted:

This is like the bank robber who committed his crimes without bothering to cover his face because he thought putting lemon juice on his face made him invisible to the bank's cameras.

Wow, I hadn't heard about this before, and that owns. Shout-outs to all the goofy criminals out there.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
At last! I've been F5ing for the better part of a week. Chorps, you owe me a keyboard.

E:

Leal posted:

Wait a tick, wasn't that a big part of a heist movie? Like Mission Impossible, National Treasure, Gone In 60 Seconds, or one of those other summer flicks you forget a week after seeing?

Lacedaemonius fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 2, 2018

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Leal posted:

dont doxx me

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, Alyssa's really ramping up how quickly she goes from encountering a Subordinate to killing them. Pretty soon we're going to have the bow and arrow appear and the new one's gonna be running in still trying to button up its shirt, late.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I have 100% time for any new Chorpsaway LP. The Chulip run was frequently funny as gently caress.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

RareAcumen posted:

Wow, Alyssa's really ramping up how quickly she goes from encountering a Subordinate to killing them. Pretty soon we're going to have the bow and arrow appear and the new one's gonna be running in still trying to button up its shirt, late.
Now I'm imagining a psycho killer running in with toast in his mouth.

And it's all your fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I can't believe Alyssa is loving dead.