Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

spog posted:

Are we excluding the possibility of immaculate conception?

Or even just in vitro fertilization.

edit: how is test tube babby formed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I mean if you're gonna get cuckolded, have Jody's kid start a fuckin religion war

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

spog posted:

The biggest dick energy of all, conception without even needing to gently caress

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Im 3 pints in ams now i have to cook a moussaka

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Finally a Saturday for my wife and I to ourselves....

...OH WAIT PEOPLE DON'T HAVE THEIR poo poo TOGETHER and now we have to babysit and run all over the city. Joy.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fridge corn posted:

Im 3 pints in ams now i have to cook a moussaka

cooking/grilling while drunk sounds fun until things catch on fire ask me how I know :v:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
oops, my oil filter is really clean and covered in diesel.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Gingerbread House Music posted:

oops, my oil filter is really clean and covered in diesel.

That doesn't sounds right.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
https://mobile.twitter.com/CPAutoScribe/status/1057414698650492928

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Modus Man posted:

God drat, you can see every single drop of water from that sea doo crystal clear. I know that the quality of the pictures is in large part due to the operator, but that is a nice piece of glass. I look forward to seeing your motorsport images with that kit. What’s the next event to shoot?

Rally Australia, 15-17th November.

I dont know i'f I'll even use my 70-200 2.8L. Thats a great bit of glass but gg the 100-400 II really is just superb.

The Door Frame posted:

Those are some very nice pictures! I've been wanting to get the missus a 70d to replace her Rebel 3 for a long while, but drat, if I can ever find a telephoto lens like that for the price of a new body, I know what she's getting first

I believe the STM lens lines are pretty good (Some apparently approach L-Glass) and keep an eye out for used lens that people sell because they just sit in the cupboard - good way to pick up a good lens for 1000 bucks less than new.

I'm not sure if Hong Kong and Singapore sellers are stilll stupid cheap these days. Worth a look?

meatpimp posted:

My cheapo Canon 1DII just showed up. I checked the shutter actuations first... 613,000. Six hundred thousand loving pictures this thing has taken. That is amazing.

One of the companies I now do paid work for replace cameras for their full timers at 1 million actuations. I think my jaw hit the ground when their guy they had sent to Aust to supervise the job I was at told me that... I thought I had my cameras working hard at 1900 photos that day but nope he did 6000. The next day I decided to ramp it up and did 2000 per camera, which was still 1500 behind him. Still, four of us over three days.... 40,000 photos for a fairly small event. These guys do Ironman events so on the really big days, you got some cameras doing 5 digit shutter clicks.

(Sports event photography. It pays the bills and 500-600 bucks to be bored and take photos all day? As a casual weekend gig thats pretty decent. It also helps break into more lucrative days)

It *is* pay for play tho. The better the kit you show up with, the more they ask you back and the better the spots they put you on.

How much did you pay for the 1D and also what other 1D's do you know are for sale?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I have a Kiss Digital N

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm not sure if Hong Kong and Singapore sellers are stilll stupid cheap these days. Worth a look?

https://www.price.com.hk/search.php?g=A&q=canon

Will give google translate a work out, but I think you can find your way around.

https://www.peterstewartphotography.com/Blog/Buying-New-and-Second-Hand-Cam
Useful guide.

Personally, I would stick to the big chain stores: Wing Shing, Broadway, Fortress

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

One of the companies I now do paid work for replace cameras for their full timers at 1 million actuations. I think my jaw hit the ground when their guy they had sent to Aust to supervise the job I was at told me that... I thought I had my cameras working hard at 1900 photos that day but nope he did 6000. The next day I decided to ramp it up and did 2000 per camera, which was still 1500 behind him. Still, four of us over three days.... 40,000 photos for a fairly small event. These guys do Ironman events so on the really big days, you got some cameras doing 5 digit shutter clicks.

(Sports event photography. It pays the bills and 500-600 bucks to be bored and take photos all day? As a casual weekend gig thats pretty decent. It also helps break into more lucrative days)

It *is* pay for play tho. The better the kit you show up with, the more they ask you back and the better the spots they put you on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6-PBMwMLXM

Watching some of the guys like Larry Chen at work is just mindblowing how many photos he takes.

Just on the FIRST lap, on ONE of the three bodys he's carrying he filled up a 128GB card on it. I go on a 3 week trip, take 100 photos and it takes me a month to actually process them. I cant even begin to think about how long it takes to process the amount of photos he takes at one event.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I'm no pro photog, nor do I even touch editing in any meaningful way, but I would imagine that given enough time/expertise, someone could setup a template and do a set level of batch processing that does some decent cleanup and then filter out the ones that would need some work over the ones that are pure garbage.

edit: it's all about knowing the workflow and automating what you can to reduce time overhead.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

quote:

Just on the FIRST lap, on ONE of the three bodys he's carrying he filled up a 128GB card on it. I go on a 3 week trip, take 100 photos and it takes me a month to actually process them. I cant even begin to think about how long it takes to process the amount of photos he takes at one event.

Obviously I was at Syndey Airport yesterday doing plane spotting but even then you can see exactly just how fast a modern DSLR can chew up cards - took 650 RAW images in something like 10 minutes shooting time total and I was out on a 16Gb card. With the 7D mk II those RAW files are 22-24mb each. A 1D X Mk II is up to 30mb so on a 128Gb card thats about 4200 image files. Also that 1D is a dual card camera so even more right there.

Beverly Cleavage posted:

I'm no pro photog, nor do I even touch editing in any meaningful way, but I would imagine that given enough time/expertise, someone could setup a template and do a set level of batch processing that does some decent cleanup and then filter out the ones that would need some work over the ones that are pure garbage.

edit: it's all about knowing the workflow and automating what you can to reduce time overhead.

Most of the good software for image processing have quite sophisticated job control language so you can run through thousands incredibly fast doing quite a number of post changes - Smarter Every Day just did a video where he wanted a bespoke editing PC and went to a company that builds and tests custom setups - one of the benchmarks they use is Lightroom with some quite impressive amount of scripting to handle 4000 RAW files in one run. Now (to me) what really is impressive is the recognition plugins - lets say for a running event where you have tens of thousands of competitors - you as the photographer are asked to shoot at certain settings with supplied cards, the millions of files are then run through the pugins and then sorted into each competitor based on either number they are wearing, clothing or facial regognition. And then loaded up to site for sale in 48 hours. Fortunatly for them they usualy require to shoot in small (LOL I cant get an image smaller than 5mb on the 7D mk II) JPEG which speeds up the process. Still, they need to upload, process, sort and publish 5Tb of images in 48 hours at a decent sized running festival. The job I last did was 40,000 images from 4 photograpers - 200Gb sent from Australia into THE CLOUD and away they go.

I noticed that the latest photos I did also now were being sorted by the competitors bikes as well. The hit / miss ratio is somewhere along the lines of 95%.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If they don't have somebody already you should volunteer at the animal shelter to take photos of the animals. Good photos help their adoptability a lot.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Charles posted:

If they don't have somebody already you should volunteer at the animal shelter to take photos of the animals. Good photos help their adoptability a lot.

I have done that in fact in the past :D

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Obviously I was at Syndey Airport yesterday doing plane spotting but even then you can see exactly just how fast a modern DSLR can chew up cards - took 650 RAW images in something like 10 minutes shooting time total and I was out on a 16Gb card. With the 7D mk II those RAW files are 22-24mb each. A 1D X Mk II is up to 30mb so on a 128Gb card thats about 4200 image files. Also that 1D is a dual card camera so even more right there.

Most of the good software for image processing have quite sophisticated job control language so you can run through thousands incredibly fast doing quite a number of post changes - Smarter Every Day just did a video where he wanted a bespoke editing PC and went to a company that builds and tests custom setups - one of the benchmarks they use is Lightroom with some quite impressive amount of scripting to handle 4000 RAW files in one run. Now (to me) what really is impressive is the recognition plugins - lets say for a running event where you have tens of thousands of competitors - you as the photographer are asked to shoot at certain settings with supplied cards, the millions of files are then run through the pugins and then sorted into each competitor based on either number they are wearing, clothing or facial regognition. And then loaded up to site for sale in 48 hours. Fortunatly for them they usualy require to shoot in small (LOL I cant get an image smaller than 5mb on the 7D mk II) JPEG which speeds up the process. Still, they need to upload, process, sort and publish 5Tb of images in 48 hours at a decent sized running festival. The job I last did was 40,000 images from 4 photograpers - 200Gb sent from Australia into THE CLOUD and away they go.

I noticed that the latest photos I did also now were being sorted by the competitors bikes as well. The hit / miss ratio is somewhere along the lines of 95%.
Pro photogs at track days do that exact thing. The prices, however, are loving insane. $50 for everything of me in it is steep but doable. $120 for the same package, or $50 for a single loving image, is just gonna make me walk on by.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Random thought: Figuring out what to do with your life at 34 is a pain in the rear end...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Pro photogs at track days do that exact thing. The prices, however, are loving insane. $50 for everything of me in it is steep but doable. $120 for the same package, or $50 for a single loving image, is just gonna make me walk on by.

Might be for you but there's a lot of people who dont think of paying more - eg I was hired by a Porsche guy to just photo his cars. 600 bucks, I kept copyight. The Triathlon competitors esp if it's a destination race pay 300-400 for their set. Altho to be honest I tend to do motorsport stuff just for the love of it so thence most the time I dont charge esp rally. You want photos? Leave email address. Rally I do for the love of it, the rest is practice for the perfect rally shot.

It's kinda funny but also when you have the big cameras, no one even thinks to ask if you want to be paid in exposure anymore. My cameras were built tough and make great combat weapons let alone the wave of would be pros from 5-10 years ago have disappeared / moved on. You want pictures not taken from a iDevice? I dont give a gently caress about exposure and there isnt the kids who you can sponge off.

So anyway what does one do with expensive equipment?

Cat photos!

(handheld, 1/15 shutter, ISO 2000, darkish room)

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 4, 2018

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

the spyder posted:

Random thought: Figuring out what to do with your life at 34 is a pain in the rear end...

This, plus photochat has me wishing I'd pursued more with photography. Not as a job, but gotten more into it as a hobby. I have a decent enough camera (Nikon D40), but only one lense. I used to love taking photos and would do it all the time... but I don't any more. I really wish I'd gotten into CNC machining, for example.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I was telling a younger guy I was amazed at how usable ISO 1600 shots were when I got my camera (2005), he seemed totally unimpressed. Guess I'm too old :D Getting usable shots at that sensitivity was super great for getting good pictures of shelter animals where you can't make them hold still in indoor lighting.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

1600 on my current camera (consumer grade multiple generation old camera - Nikon D5100) is like 200 on the camera I had 10 years ago. Handheld stage shots in a dark nightclub that come out clear? Yes please.

meatpimp posted:

My cheapo Canon 1DII just showed up. I checked the shutter actuations first... 613,000. Six hundred thousand loving pictures this thing has taken. That is amazing.

:stonkhat:

I think my old Nikon D1X bit the dust short of 200k (shutter came apart).

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

QuarkMartial posted:

This, plus photochat has me wishing I'd pursued more with photography. Not as a job, but gotten more into it as a hobby. I have a decent enough camera (Nikon D40), but only one lense. I used to love taking photos and would do it all the time... but I don't any more. I really wish I'd gotten into CNC machining, for example.

Never too old to start - I was asking myself the same question a year ago. Do it as a hobby and who knows? For photgraphy it's probably gotten easier if anything.

Charles posted:

I was telling a younger guy I was amazed at how usable ISO 1600 shots were when I got my camera (2005), he seemed totally unimpressed. Guess I'm too old :D Getting usable shots at that sensitivity was super great for getting good pictures of shelter animals where you can't make them hold still in indoor lighting.

My old 20D was getting towards unusable at ISO3200 and you couldnt really handhold it at less than 1/40 and expect anything decent. The 7D is quite usuable until ISO12800 and you could do handheld 1/15. This 7D mk II is like... ISO 28000 or something loving ridulous and even then it's quite okay, it hasnt really gotten unusably grainy and I havent yet tried below 1/15 but I'm sure it'll work.

MOAR CATTE PICTURES

Okay dats enough cat pics from me for one day.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Got the stupid versa/Tiida to start on the new engine. Nearly put the tyres on it, dragged it off the jackstands and onto the road to set it on fire with the cruiser first though. It would crank like a trooper but didnt even TRY to fire.

Turns out that the junkyard that I got the engine from never drained the fuel rail or injectors, and the varnish that had developed in there turned the fuel injectors into fuel plugs. Dropped on the 200K old rail and injectors off the old motor and fired right up.

So now I need to decide whether I keep running 200K old injectors, or send off the 46K old injectors to be cleaned and tested and whether its worth it on a 1.8L commuter appliance datsun...

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

the spyder posted:

Though not 34 for a few months I’m going to get a vasectomy in the coming weeks. So that part of life is figured out.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

(using aforementioned 13 year old camera)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Finally after ignoring the kit for a few weeks, I have finally finished the Lego Bugatti Chiron kit:

It is awesome :)

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Went out, saw a weird huge homemade Mad Max motorcycle

Ate some <checks receipt> salmon egg sushi

went to the bar next door met and held a ferret

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

spog posted:

Being born without sin?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Bar ferret rules

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

In a recap of STR makes a mistake:

Last night: Picked up a friend from the airport. Someone got super jealous and was blowing up my phone every 30 seconds for nearly an hour. I should mention I haven't seen this friend in at least 5 years, and I've known him for over 20 years. She keeps accusing me of trying to gently caress him (he's engaged, and very straight - trust me, I tried barking up that tree when I was like 19 or 20, he ain't goin for the wood). I did let said friend know what's going on... he REALLY wants to troll her. He's already fairly, uh, "gay looking" to begin with (according to GF), and lived in Miami for 8 years - he can do a far better gay than I can.

Tonight: "Why didn't you log out early?" when one of the delivery companies I partner with kept sending me $$$$$. I made about $200 from that one company alone in 7 hours, not counting other gig economy warrior jobs I have. And I got a bitchy email from them about logging out early today (I've been logging out ~10-15 minutes before the end of my day to avoid last minute crap), which was deserved.

Got home tonight: She was asleep on the couch. She woke up at some point when I went to the bathroom, I heard a door slam. Walked into the bedroom (obviously after peeing and shaking the dew drops off), said hi, what's up with the door slamming? "YOU COMPLETELY IGNORED ME WHEN I ASKED FOR A KISS, THEN SLAMMED THE BATHROOM DOOR". Uh, wut, you were snoring on the couch. and I closed the door so softly that the cats didn't even wake up.

A bit later: "I really wanted to get intimate tonight" and grabs my crotch. My sex drive is inversely proportional to her bitchiness. I say not in the mood. She gets really bitchy and goes to bed.

2 nights ago: "You're no better than <ex boyfriend>" when I turned her down for sex (not only was I not in the mood, but I was dealing with the trailing end of a 2 day migraine from hell - and I'm still dealing with some pain). :fuckoff:

:shepicide:

Last night, once I did get home, she insisted on dragging me out to a bar. There's a good dive bar a mile away. We go to a cafe that I like instead, turns out no late night permit, so no alcohol service. We go to the dive bar. She hates it, I fall in love. Nothing but metal playing, rude as gently caress bartenders, and an obviously dedicated local crowd. She insisted sitting at a table, so the bartender screamed "what the gently caress do you want to drink?!" from behind the bar. I like this bar already. It's a neighborhood watering hole. She offers to pay for drinks. They wind up expensive since she wanted mixed cocktails, so I do a cash tip to ease the pain. When I cash out and bring her the card and receipt, she's pissed at how much it was (well, uh, you ordered 2 mixed drinks at a dive bar....).

Why do I feel like I'm suddenly everdave, except without kids? :sigh: (speaking of, she doesn't like me using condoms, and I know drat well my pull out game isn't that great, so it's been Russian Roulette).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Nov 4, 2018

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

STR posted:

(speaking of, she doesn't like me using condoms, and I know drat well my pull out game isn't that great, so it's been Russian Roulette).

This is the biggest mistake you're making, unless you want kids.

Actually it seems like the only mistake in that post

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

STR posted:

(speaking of, she doesn't like me using condoms, and I know drat well my pull out game isn't that great, so it's been Russian Roulette).

Queue Archer meme: Do you want a ruined life? Because that's how you get a ruined life.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

How much did you pay for the 1D and also what other 1D's do you know are for sale?

Reverse order response -- I paid $90 for a 1DII with a 6 month warranty. I'm coming at this from a completely different perspective from yours.

You're doing awesome pro-level sports work, which is demanding and can absolutely use all of the features of a high-end, current camera. Nobody's going to need a 4'x6' print of what you're shooting, but you could print one up if you wanted. That resolution also gives you a shitload of flexibility to crop and edit in post.

HOWEVER, that does not reflect what I feel to be the other 95% of camera users, including myself. In the past 15 years there has been a multi-generational explosive evolution of camera tech, and some of the cast-offs are still very viable pieces. I started with buying a 5DII last year with 150k actuations on it for under $200. At that price, I have in my hands a full frame camera that shoots 21 megapixel images that will be every bit as good as a new camera. Strong statement, I'll stand by it.

The feel of a near-pro Canon in your hand is worlds beyond a Rebel or "x0"D. It's solid, it's fast, it feels more mechanically crafted.

Then, there's this 1DII. I was too cavalier when I bought it. I thought it was full frame, thinking that it was current the same time the 5D came out so it'd be full frame, but nope, it's a crop. That kinda changes my pans for it. Original thought was to go to Vegas with a full frame and a 50mm lens for under $150 to see what I could do. Now I think I'm going to go the ultimate insult and put a Sigma 28-90 on it and do the same thing. 50mm on a crop is just too narrow for me.

So, I'm going to shoot the balls off of the 1D and see what happens.

On the feel... well, a tired and beat 1D feels better than the 5D. It's like the difference between a 5D and the consumer models. The 1D is FAST in a way that is hard to quantify. It came to me with continuous high drive mode on and it takes four shots in the time it takes you to put your finger down and pull it up. It's truly impressive. And for $90... poo poo, everyone should have one.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Nov 4, 2018

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

STR posted:

The Automotive Insanity team cannot guide you from here. Godspeed.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

STR posted:

Why do I feel like I'm suddenly everdave, except without kids? :sigh: (speaking of, she doesn't like me using condoms, and I know drat well my pull out game isn't that great, so it's been Russian Roulette).
You are dipping an unwrapped dick in a vat of pure crazy, and it's going to make your life miserable if you don't quit while you're ahead.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Happy November and yes I did switch my lasers from Ghosts to Santas.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ether Frenzy posted:

went to the bar next door met and held a ferret

Friendly ferrets own. I used to have a polecat lookin' one and an albino one, they were adorable idiots, forever getting themselves into mischief. The albino one managed to get into the bathroom while we were renovating it and get under the floorboards under the bath. After several hours of coaxing and thinking we may have to pull up the floor she emerged triumphant, proud that she'd explored every single bit of the space under the floor, completely grey from head to toe due to all the dirt/dust under there. One warm bath later and she was as good as new.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

STR posted:

:sigh: (speaking of, she doesn't like me using condoms, and I know drat well my pull out game isn't that great, so it's been Russian Roulette).

You ever sir there watching someone set their life on fire thinking they know exactly what they're doing so you just watch because they wouldn't do it publicly if they didn't want you to be at least entertained?

The worst parts of my life right now seen to be "work is as much fun as drilling a hole in my balls with a forstner bit" and the ongoing discussion of "I wish you wouldn't eat in bed", so I'm quite happy to outsource my drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
RIP STR.

Just wrapped up my OT weekend holy poo poo I'm tired. This 19 day stretch is gonna kill me.

• Locked thread