Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

My cat is fluffy and stripey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea she's disarmed. She's super chill anyway and wouldn't spray anyone.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I put food in stuff so she has to get it out.

https://youtu.be/_stMr3FyXgY

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

slidebite posted:

My jealousy burns with the rage of 1000 suns.

I've literally wanted a pet skunk ever since I was 5 years old :(

In other news, new company truck came in. 2019 Silverado LD. I should be driving this for a couple years. Not entirely surprisingly, gets noticeably better fuel economy than the smaller Tacoma that it's replacing.

I got my first one 15 years ago and love them. Ive have had a bunch of them over the years. They make great pets cause they are funny as poo poo and they get really attached to you. Theyre expensive and time consuming to have a good one but totally worth it.

I also just got a Silverado. An 00 so much older but they are nice trucks. I love it already and I haven't even registered it yet.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Bar ferret rules

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I had a few ferrets before I got into skunks and they are the best, they're so funny. I love when they do the war dance when they are playing. Only thing that sucks is that they are poop machines, they have a fast gi track and poop like 5 times a day. Still worth it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Mine were pretty well trained, they'd wake up from their naps, poop in their litter box and then want out to scamper about and explore. I know some people have ones that stole stuff but mine never did which I'm almost disappointed about.

How do you have a skunk pet?

Yea mine did the same thing, wake, poop then play. They just do it a lot, haha.

Ive always wanted a pet skunk and found out how to get one from a yahoo chat group. I got my first one the same year I found out that my mom had cancer so they made a huge impact on my life when things were pretty bad. My very favorite one came with me when I moved to Florida so I had her through bad and good times. Then I met one of my girlfriends on the same yahoo group and she ended up moving in with me in Florida. After a while we had 8 skunks, 3 coatimundis, a ferret and a raccoon. We were both animal lovers and we couldnt turn down rescues. Then things didnt work out and she left so I had my 4 skunks to help me get over that too. My last guy Riley who came with me when I moved back to CT passed away in 2013 and I missed him and having skunks a lot. After I got my business built up to where I was stable I wanted a skunk again so bad. I found Scout as a rescue in New Jersey right before new years. Went to get her on New Years eve eve driving through a snow storm and the traffic going into NYC for New Years. It was torture doing that trip but my neighbor came with me to keep me comany and she kept me from going crazy in that traffic. A 2.5 hour drive that ended up taking 10 total. So worth it though, Scout rules. Shes one of the best ones that Ive had. Her original owner named her Fifi and she used to dress her up in outfits and stuff, I think thats why shes so laid back having to put up with that. No way her name was staying Fifi. I named her Scout in honor of Harper Lee dying last year since I love To Kill a Mockingbird.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I want a pet skunk :aaa:

What state do you live in? I can help you out if you want. I got skunk connections all over, lol. Hardest part is finding a good vet that has experience with them. You probably won't be able to get a baby this year since the season is pretty much over. I'd recommend a rescue first anyway as babies are a lot of work for the first year or so. PM me if you are serious, I can help with any questions you might have.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yo you need a skunk? I got ya, whatcha lookin' for, chocolate? albino? apricot? Maybe a nice classic black and white? I got scribbles and chips too, but those cost extra. I'm fresh out of lavender but I might know a guy, I got ya

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I ain't got no badgers man, I don' mess wit dat poo poo, no way

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

The third time I went to get a baby skunk the lady who gets the babies let my crash at her house. I helped out feeding and cleaning up with her and got to play with baby skunks for two days, it was the best two days of my life.

Here is a box of baby skunks from that year

I left early on the third day as the sun was coming up. Driving on the bridge from Clearwater to Tampa I got this spectacular picture. I was way better in person with the rays of light coming from behind that mushroom shaped cloud

Artieboo was the one I got that time. He was an apricot and the little guy was the sweetest, kindest soul

I also had a coon for a little while. Here he is looking out the window

And here is a skunk looking something up on wikipedia

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So this skunk person you know lives in Clearwater? Not far from me at all.

Just curious, the pros of skunks look pretty obvious (super cute and playful) but what are the cons :colbert:

Yea she lives in Clearwater but I havent heard from her in years. My vet is also friends with her and he hadnt either. I was a representative in a rescue/education group with her and a few others for a short time. I poo poo you not there was a coup and the president of the group was ousted followed by a huge fight between all of us. I resigned because I didnt agree with what happened and although I did talk to her shortly after that drama I have a feeling there still may be some animosity towards me for resigning. Im not sure but she has never told me one way or the other, just quit talking to me. If anyone here has been in any kind of animal rescue group they are the same with people getting crazy over the smallest or weirdest things. Animal people are weird.

Anyway the biggest con is that there is no approved rabies vaccination for skunks. The one for dogs works (galaxy something) but it is not recognized by the FDA, yet. Generally people think that skunks, raccoons, etc are rabies "carriers". They can get rabies just like any other animal but they get sick and die just like any animal that gets it. In 1982 there was a BYB skunk breeder that supposedly sold skunks that had rabies and in hte panic many states outlawed them as pets. Right now if your skunk bites someone, vaccinated or not and it is reported to authorities DNR will confiscate and behead your skunk to test for rabies since the only way to test is to look at the brain. There are a few people that had their skunks taken and killed for that that are trying to get the vaccination approved. Its usually a family member or friend that report it. Here is the most recent incident that I can think of. The lady's niece or something turned in a bite and Pepe was taken and killed.

https://www.facebook.com/promisesforpepe/

Its ridiculous too because there are programs all over the US and Canada where DNR puts the vaccination in marshmallows for wild animals to eat and it works. BTW all mine have always been vaccinated just in case so that I might be able to plead with someone not to report the bite. For any other pet they get a 10 day quarantine. Hopefully between promises for pepe and aspen skunk rabies research that pet skunks will get the same treatment as any other pet when it comes to bites.

The next big thing is finding a vet that is experienced with skunks, close as possible to where you live in case of an emergency and also will not report a bite. Its also really expensive since they are considered "exotic" even though they are almost the only animal people have as pets that only come from north America almost exclusively. The motto for the skunk group I was in was "The All American Pet". I have a shirt that if I can find Ill post it. Its hilarious and cool. To get females spayed at my vet it was almost $700. Im not sure what it is for dogs and cats but I believe it is much less. A neuter was a little under $300. They can only be put under for surgery with isoflourine gas and monitered the whole time. Tooth extractions when they get older was pricey, I dont recall what it was any longer but Im sure it was expensive.

Food used to be really expensive because they need a diet high in taurine like a cat but less protein so you cant just feed them cat food. They also need calcium supplements and tons of various vegetables to balance with the protein for an omnivorous diet. Insects are really good for them and they are expensive at the pet store so a lot of owners would grow their own, mostly mealworms since they are pretty easy to raise. Currently food is a lot easier to get for them since dog food has really high quality options these days that if you pay close attention to the ingredients they have most of what skunks need to be healthy. That didnt used to be the case even 10 or so years ago. Today you can almost get away with just feeding them high quality dog food and vegetables and just supplent the taurine and calcium. In the past there were many recipes out there in the skunk groups that owners would cook/make that were a good diet for them and also fodder for huge arguments about what was the best. Imagine the fights we have about what oil we think is best for our cars, same thing. Some discussion groups would not even allow food discussions on the public boards.

Thats all I can think of for now, I gotta start working on the Chevy and Rocco sometime today.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I went early this morning and the line filled the entire town hall from end to end so I left. Went back right before the rush hour commuter crowd got out of work and the line was a quarter of the size. Went in and gave them the big ol' D best I could except for our governor. gently caress the D and R in this state. Might have been a "wasted" vote but at least Oz was the least worst, I think. The sticker lady said she was on the second roll, more than even a presidential election, that's crazy.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Dagen H posted:

I'm replacing brake lines.

I gotta go suck up some leaves then brake lines for me too. Not looking forward to it but being able to stop will be nice. I also got the tool to autobleed my ABS unit and I can't wait to play with it. I get to play with my tool.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Oh man, so sorry dude :(

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

The weirdest thing happened to me recently with phone calls. When I was looking for a truck there were two that looked way nicer than the price they were asking. I figured scam but maybe it was a lucky getting rid of grandpa's truck for probate quickly or something. If it was a scam I'd know right away. What did happen was that when I called it got rejected immediately, like didn't even ring. The first one maybe they sold it and were blocking calls, whatever. The second one same exact thing, different state and area code. Then shortly after I would get way more out of state calls I ignored and no message or anything. One day I got 7 calls right in a row, no voicemail. What would the scam be? Selling my number to telemarketers? It's so weird. It's pretty much stopped now but for like a month I got a ton of weird calls.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, that’s pretty much it.

Edit: more like selling your number to scammers who will claim that they are from Microsoft, your PC is infected and they’re going to fix it, and such.

Ooohhh yea I did get one that left a message the other day that said my Windows registration had expired, lol. I should have called back to see what they were going to say but I haven't been that bored recently.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Haha man it sucks when GPS fails and you dont know where you are and really need it.Coming out of New Jersey somewhere I was trying to get to 87 then 287 to get back to CT. Mine thought I was driving on surface streets at some point where I had a choice of probably 5 connectors to choose from with dubious signage. My friend and I were laughing and took the best guess to find out maybe 5 minutes later when the GPS came around that it was the right one.

When I was cleaning out the Scirocco the other day I found my trucker atlas from 2006 that I used a ton before GPS. I had a 99 Beetle around that time and the huge dash was perfect for laying it out between having to look at it. What a relic, its all sun faded. Ill never throw that out, so many road trip memories with that thing.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Older stuff is just easy to steal. My mom had her old Buick Century stolen and they took it, broke the front seats so they leaned back farther, put speakers in the back window and smoked crack in it. Looked like it was just some kids having a great time with something easy to steal and dump it wherever when they were done.

It was really sad though, we had that car for like 10 years growing up and my mom cried when she saw it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I dropped a 12 pack of bottles right out the door of the packie one time but since I was a raging alcoholic at the time and went to that store every day they just laughed and gave me a new 12 pack. At the time I was happy but its actually kind of sad.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

My last gf was really southern and the savory type cornbread her family made they called it dressing. It was SC also and that's the mustard bbq and the best kind. Don't like the sweet stuff all that much myself. The best bbq places had like 4 squirt bottles of whatever bbq sauce you want anyway. That and a roll of paper towels on the table.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

One of the places near where I lived was literally called The Pig and man I miss that place.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

My uncle is a painter by trade and he takes a case of Becks per room to cut it then I fill it in. A beer fueled uncle is the best cutting tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I wish my paint was as goth as me and cut itself

• Locked thread