Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Hey all you folks are cool, so please stop complaining about voting a full day after the polls have closed. It doesn't matter now.

my district is so intensely blue my wife and I didn't bother voting.

Our positive mind energy helped the people we were going to vote for get elected even though we didn't go to the poo poo show that is our polling place. I'm sure of it. Yeah. Right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

slidebite posted:

Good to know I'm not alone with lack of self control with some candies. I'm a total sucker for sour stuff, the more sour the better. The sweet/sour thing just does it for me. Those soothers are consistently the best I've found. Most other sour candies aren't sour hardly at all.

Warheads can be pretty good though, but I prefer chewy candies over hard ones although I think they make chewy ones too.

I'm a type one diabetic, generally hate sweets because of the association to that "feeling of doom" I get when I'm low, do muay thai three times a week and compete in powerlifting comps

And I will still fuckin destroy any and all chewy sour candy near me. I end up having to limit myself to buying it once every two months because my bloodsugar goes haywire for 12 hours or so. It's fuckin worth it still.

I always make the "got my 60 day chip" joke to my wife when I buy candy. She's not impressed.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Wife probably has MS. Seeing neuro in February. gently caress.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
gently caress.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
If it is, this first attack is *aggressive*. Which means terrible, bad, no good things, but it also means a more concrete diagnosis sooner from the scarring.

After running a shitton of tests the ED doc sat down and explained things frankly. MS is about the only thing that fits, but we won't know for a long time if this is the start of the disease.

This is on top of her getting diagnosed with hep c after getting bloody sputum spat into her eye a month previous.

And still dealing with neuropathy from the multiple surgeries on her arm.

This is getting really goddamn hard to handle guys. Why are the holidays always such a horrible time for everyone here?

E: sorry to dump more poo poo on the poo poo pile. I just don't really have anyone to talk to irl because we share basically all our friends and family, and she wants to keep it quiet until we know.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
^^ yeah, it hasn't been a good time, especially considering the stigma related to hepatitis c. 6 drug tests and counting, she's been basically cut off from the medications to control her anxiety and pain.

Dagen H posted:

Holy poo poo SGS, that's awful :(

But I have to ask:

What the actual gently caress

The emergency department can be hard on people. A whole lot of crazy comes in with a whole lot of undiagnosed poo poo, and you end up having to put yourself in very unsafe situations at times to keep other patients/that same patient safe.

SeaGoatSupreme fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 17, 2018

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
it's not the best. Having to help my badass wife down the front steps and having to take most of her weight was a sobering experience.

E: best/worst part is up until now we had been painting a nursery and trying for kids. That just shouldn't happen if it is MS though.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
This is more "abusive workplace poo poo" but her manager bullied the poo poo out of her and threatened to fire the hell out of her if she bothered making an incidence report for any of the exposures she's had unless they resulted in bleeding wounds/broken bones. So the hep c treatment won't be covered from the workplace, but insurance will be picking up the slack so we don't have to drain our savings much. Thank God for low out of pocket maximums. A lawyer would make sense, but after talking to a few, the monetary cost is about equal and this way we can just move on and take care of our poo poo.

Don't work for Sentara.

The nursing union here can't even negotiate competitive rates, let alone actually fight for anyone being harassed etc.

I really, really appreciate all the support. Mostly I just needed a place to lay it all out once and get on with life, and you folks were here for just that. If anyone here in VA/NC/MD ever needs anything, up to and including a place to crash, I got you.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Personally I'd keep with Sony just because the interface/controller is familiar, and honestly they've got a better catalog this go around anyway.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
The best you'll do if you can't run cables in the wall is to get coving and run the cables through it, like initial Dave said.

That or spring for a new setup, there are a few wireless setups I've seen recently that sounded drat good.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
So I know I threw a lot of doom and gloom around here earlier, and I just wanted to come and share some unrelated great news I got.

A few months back I was on the fast track to a paid firefighter position, and I ended up getting dropped by hr on the very last decision they could make. I'm known in a few different stations in that city, shared a bottle of bourbon with a couple chiefs when they got good news, etc.

Everyone was quite pissed at the decisions hr made, and have extended interviews to the select few they actually want to work with, including me. While kicking every poo poo to the curb that hr knew and pushed through regardless of the FD's say.

So yeah. A big boy job two days a week, so that I can still be home the majority of the time to help out. I'm stoked.

Use a bit of sugar in the cornbread regardless, it really wakes it up.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

spog posted:

Do they let you take the uniform home at weekends?

You could cheer your wife up.

That was the very first thing she asked for when I gave her the good news.

Yall are ridiculous

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Things that aren't necessarily traditional can be very good.

See:

chili with beans (if you use ground meat though I'll loving cut you)

Sweet cornbread (with said chili)

Gay marriage

Debate me I dare u

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
I will legitimately walk out of a tiny BBQ joint if there isn't a roll of paper towels available. I eat like a pig, yall know it, I know it. Let's not pretend.

Unpopular opinion: Alabama style white sauce is killer on certain kinds of smoked meat

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

Birds, mainly, imo.
:cheers: you know what's up.

All I've got to make smoked meats is an oven right now, so I end up going real low and slow, for a few hours with a spicy-ish rub I make, then cranking it to just hit caramelization temp for a while with a different rub that is mostly brown sugar and garlic

Basting with a combo of bourbon and (ick) liquid smoke every fifteen, it ends up being on the good part of the scale but definitely not great. My family raves about it but that's because they don't know any better.

I haven't found a place near me that hits the price/taste/portion trifecta yet and I sometimes go full on "drinking about it" level of sad.

SeaGoatSupreme fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 21, 2018

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

STR posted:

You have no idea how badly I want the PC version. The headset cost is what's so offputting; I have a PC that can run it, so that's no big deal.

GF has a PS4, but I don't, so the overall cost to get a VR headset would be about the same for me (vs buying a PS4 + the PSVR set). Hell probably less.

e: this dude has it mastered.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Windows...TPMB46RE1P99M5T

The windows mixed reality headsets all seem to be pretty alright, and can be had for half the cost of more traditional headsets.

QC, I am sorry but I cannot help with the psvr woes, I also want one. Hell, I want a ps4 period.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Nope, erection is completely normal for WERA gear.

I bought the Koloss a couple years ago, love it. Yes it's a 1/2 inch ratchet made for beating on things. It's also good for 600 nm (440 ftlb) so I never bother with a breaker bar anymore.

My father is a boat mechanic and he runs through a few 1/2 inch ratchets a year specifically from getting pissed off and hitting it against something/ slapping a bar on the end of it and hanging from it. Thanks for this, my mother will probably cry at the idea of not having to buy more than like one a year.

e: I am also incredibly grateful for you kind fuckers, and I hope I can pay it back one day.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
QC, you are a badass and you both went above and beyond what most people would do for a relative stranger.

Later you should definitely look back on this and be proud of how you handled it. Please take care of your knee and your shoulder. I'm sure they hurt.

Wife's new hep c labs came back. Zero viral load without medication. Looks like she cleared it herself. That was a wonderful phonecall to get earlier.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

I think everyone should be required by law to work at least two years in food service and two years in retail.

The soft hearted part of me feels like that would lead to a lot better treatment for unskilled workers in general

But then I remember everyone thinks they are a great driver and that just flies out the drat window. "I can do it better than you" they screech, "I did my two years you slow piece of poo poo", etc.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

tetrapyloctomy posted:

:agreed:
I'm glad to hear this. Having been through the Needlestick Nightmare of follow-up labs, I know it's a huge weight off your shoulders. My Occupational Health visits sucked, too. I have pipes. I mean, if my arms are hanging down any competent nurse could find six places to put 18s in my arms without a tourniquet. And yet OH managed to blow two butterflies getting labs on one of my needlestick follow ups. I also once had to write my own prescriptions for Truvada and Kaletra because the OH doc couldn't get the doses and numbers rights. (Normally I use generic names, not Brand, but I simply never can remember them for all the antiretrovirals. Emtricatabine/tenofivir and ... something-avir/something-avir. We don't use Kaletra anymore anyway.)

It's one less big worry for her, atleast. She had partially convinced herself she contracted it as a child and was in late stage liver failure, because "that's just how my luck runs".

I too am graced with straws near the surface. I'm still proud of the fact that my ac was so large and prominent that after the accident the medic threw a 16 without a tourniquet in the middle of a bump and it went in smooth as silk. This same vein has a dent and a lump of scar tissue lower down from an absolutely terrifying phleb a few years prior.

It's gotten to the point where If someone mentions needing a veinfinder on me, I believe them to be utterly incompetent and watch them like a hawk because I'm sure they are gonna break sterile technique. Veinfinders *look* cool as hell though. I want one to play with real bad.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Adiabatic posted:

I'm full speed ahead back at the piano. Any piano players in here? Gimme some of your favorite classical piano music!

I've always been in love with most of the stuff yiruma and ludovico einaudi put out. I pretty much exclusively try to learn and play some of their easier pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

mariooncrack posted:

If you're still looking for usb c cables and a charger, anker is a solid brand for both.

Gotta second this. Reply All is a solid podcast.

I swear you could almost use an anker powerline cable to pick up a car. Thing is insanely well built and has lasted a year of abuse so far, which is about five times longer than any other cable I've ever used for a phone.

• Locked thread