Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Hey guys, the government doesn't literally have a file marked LGBT Death Plans, Fig. A-G, so things cant be that bad, amirite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

64bit_Dophins posted:

Anyone else feel like the quality of car interiors really dipped from about 2005-2014?

It's only just recently that I feel like car interiors have gotten good again. I think it's just because car companies stated using that cheap looking hard plastic in their cars in the mid-aughts.

Yeah, car interiors actually have some semblance of design again. But man, mid-2000s cars are terrible. Just miles and miles of flat untextured plastic.
Dodge was especially bad about his.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Ok, so has Google maps started putting advertising in their maps or has that always been there?
Like, lately I've noticed when it's giving directions it'll say stuff like "Turn right on to XYZ street after Wells Fargo on the Left" or "In 1000' turn left after McDonalds on the corner"
Has that always been there and I just never noticed? :psyduck:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

BraveUlysses posted:

this stuff is pretty neat but its even better that right wing conspiracy nutters have latched onto the idea this is being done by lasers from space :magemage:

WOODEN TREES CANT MELT STEEL BEAMS

I wish that wasn't somebodies actual opinion. :(

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So I just realized I haven't really driven my Explorer for like 2 weeks. Turns out once you have a company vehicle and all the stores are on your way home you don't do much driving.
Also, I need to change the blend door motor on it and...well :effort:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

spog posted:

A whole-house humidifier?

Is that because it uses a very dry heating system or what? I've never heard of such a thing.

It's something you use with a forced air furnace, just because the heating process can dry out the air so much if can effect both the house and people in it.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Fender Anarchist posted:

the very concept of having to add humidity, even with heating, is utterly alien to my tiny brain

As somebody who escaped from Florida, this idea seemed so bizarre to me too. But, as it turns out, incredibly dry air kinda sucks even worse than incredibly humid air.
Who knew? :shrug:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Oh happy day, I found someone who makes an OEM radio for my Explorer that has a bluetooth upgrade.

I've been really wanting to have that feature in there, but trying to find an aftermarket radio that isn't....terrible is pretty much impossible. Like, it's 2018, why does every headunit still look like a neon rave?
And the touchscreen units aren't much better. Either garishly colored, or the software looks like a WinAmp skin from 2003.

I had tried, a few years ago, to get something working by upgrading to an OEM headunit that had an AUX feature on it, that was supposed to be used with in-car DVD players and such, but that required a special adapter and good loving luck trying to find anything car audio related from a decade ago.

I know this is pretty minor, but MY INTERIOR AESTHETICS. :argh:

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 24, 2018

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

keykey posted:

I mean, economically speaking we are at full employment as to say that unemployment is now 4.0% across the board and 5.0% and under, by economists definition, is considered full employment. We hit full employment in September 2016 and the unemployment rate has been in a steady decline. Your state might differ from that number, we're at 4.2%, but we're still in full employment conditions as to say all values are rising due to willingness to pay scenarios.

My wallet is glad too because I'm now at a lower tax bracket than 33%. Feels good, man.

It's worth noting that just because the records show low unemployment, that doesnt take things like underemployment into account.

Just because the gig economy bubble has burst yet doesnt mean people are doing well.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Goober Peas posted:

Oh hey, a bazillion posts in the chat thread. Someone's gonna get probed.

edit: there you go

Have you driven a Ford....lately?

The newest Fords I've driven have been the Transit vans, which are honestly pretty great as far as vans go. I mean, they're vans, but they have some nice features.

Speaking of, I dunno how many people here have experience with vans, but if one were to be shopping for one, in say the 2010-2015 range, would you choose Chevy/GMC or Ford?

I'm kinda looking into them for...reasons, and it seems like E-250s or 350s seem to be cheaper. I've driven a few different variants of the Chevy/GMC ones, and while they're ok, In my experience they seem to have a lot of transmission issues or rear diff issues. Other than that they seem to be pretty decent, if very simplistic vehicles. I mean, they haven't really updated them in like 30 years, so I guess they're doing something right.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Queen Combat posted:

The weirdest thing to me is, if I'm reading right, that's a full natural color camera shot.

It's amazing how much the surface of Mars looks like the American southwest. Seriously, add some scrub brush and that'd look like the outskirts of Las Vegas.

Queen Combat posted:

Also, same question. Like, what if you needed easy maintenance and stuff because you planned on living in it?

We'll see what others say about maintenance and such, but I will say that the E-Series seem like they're slightly wider than the GM stuff was. Also the extended wheelbase on the Econolines is really long too, so those might be slightly better for making a house out of.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Queen Combat posted:

Also, same question. Like, what if you needed easy maintenance and stuff because you planned on living in it?

Here you go, perfect for desert livin'

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Ford-...f8149%7Ciid%3A1

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, even though I thought it was pretty boring for myself, I'm pro-college. Even the so-called "useless" degrees are still something society needs, after all, we can't all be engineers.
Being able to try new things, learn about art, other cultures, humanities is a net good for everyone. But the concept that to have a viable career you need to get a $100,000 piece of paper needs to go. We should be encouraging people to learn because it's a good thing to do, and benefits us all. Not because some shareholder needs a .05% increase on returns.

That being said, I think more college type classes should be offered up in high school. Give people more of an option to try new things early. That, and bringing back shop classes and giving people the oppertunity to learn more trade related stuff. Office jobs aren't for everyone, and you can still make a good living working with your hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Hey so has anyone used anyone used an auto shipper here before?
Looking into shipping my Jeep across the country because I don't want to drive all the loving way across the US again quite yet, but I've never really used one before. Anyone have any recommended guys to use?

I mean, I could drive it, but :effort:
And I still have to figure out how to get the Trukk across the map again. And I don't think even with the 350 that towing another car behind it would be a good idea :v:

• Locked thread