Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Happy birthday to anyone born around the 14th of this month, your parents enjoyed Valentine's day a whole bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Your numbers are slightly off (LMP for ovulation window of mid-February would be late January, with subsequent due date around the sixth to ninth), but I applaud your attempt to gross out fellow posters.

Dang.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Powershift posted:

Merry christmas, everybody!

"It's the day after Halloween, Lin."

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Ether Frenzy posted:

went to the bar next door met and held a ferret

Friendly ferrets own. I used to have a polecat lookin' one and an albino one, they were adorable idiots, forever getting themselves into mischief. The albino one managed to get into the bathroom while we were renovating it and get under the floorboards under the bath. After several hours of coaxing and thinking we may have to pull up the floor she emerged triumphant, proud that she'd explored every single bit of the space under the floor, completely grey from head to toe due to all the dirt/dust under there. One warm bath later and she was as good as new.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Ferrets are great, if slightly high maintenance pets. Also, you get used to the ankle biting, i swear.

I had the complete opposite experience with my two, they were so playful and good-natured. They'd sleep most of the day so when I got home from work I'd let them out and they'd run around the house while I made dinner or whatever and then put themselves to bed when they got tired. On a few occasions I'd find them curled up in a drawer somewhere asleep, after the first time we put a little fleece bag in there for them to sleep in :3:

shy boy from chess club posted:

I had a few ferrets before I got into skunks and they are the best, they're so funny. I love when they do the war dance when they are playing. Only thing that sucks is that they are poop machines, they have a fast gi track and poop like 5 times a day. Still worth it.

Mine were pretty well trained, they'd wake up from their naps, poop in their litter box and then want out to scamper about and explore. I know some people have ones that stole stuff but mine never did which I'm almost disappointed about.

How do you have a skunk pet?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Also not 100%, due to dribbling. To bring this full-circle, at Thanksgiving in ten years' time STR Jr is going to mention chocolate cream pie and his parents are just going to glare at each other.

OK so he can put it in her butt but then he has to eat it out afterwards to make sure. Is that better?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I feel like cats chewing electrical cables is a problem that eventually solves itself.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

shy boy from chess club posted:

Yea mine did the same thing, wake, poop then play. They just do it a lot, haha.

Ive always wanted a pet skunk and found out how to get one from a yahoo chat group. I got my first one the same year I found out that my mom had cancer so they made a huge impact on my life when things were pretty bad. My very favorite one came with me when I moved to Florida so I had her through bad and good times. Then I met one of my girlfriends on the same yahoo group and she ended up moving in with me in Florida. After a while we had 8 skunks, 3 coatimundis, a ferret and a raccoon. We were both animal lovers and we couldnt turn down rescues. Then things didnt work out and she left so I had my 4 skunks to help me get over that too. My last guy Riley who came with me when I moved back to CT passed away in 2013 and I missed him and having skunks a lot. After I got my business built up to where I was stable I wanted a skunk again so bad. I found Scout as a rescue in New Jersey right before new years. Went to get her on New Years eve eve driving through a snow storm and the traffic going into NYC for New Years. It was torture doing that trip but my neighbor came with me to keep me comany and she kept me from going crazy in that traffic. A 2.5 hour drive that ended up taking 10 total. So worth it though, Scout rules. Shes one of the best ones that Ive had. Her original owner named her Fifi and she used to dress her up in outfits and stuff, I think thats why shes so laid back having to put up with that. No way her name was staying Fifi. I named her Scout in honor of Harper Lee dying last year since I love To Kill a Mockingbird.

I want a pet skunk :aaa:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Funny, I would have thought that Elton John would be right up their alley, what with all the leather chaps, studs and tassels. (I never get tired of pointing out exactly how gay BDSM most wannabe bikers actually look. Not because *I* think gay is bad, but because they do - or claim to.)

Metalheads too, all down to Rob Halford’s leather daddy fetish... :rock:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I imagine Democrats running Hillary again because she's Hillary and then I'll despair at the state of US politics because it'll distract me from the reality of living in a post-apocalyptic no deal-brexit England where I have to scavenge for food and fight off rival clans for rainwater.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Fender Anarchist posted:

E: I forgot, "play wholeheartedly into your base's racism." People in FL were getting robocalls with a literal minstrel show. "HOWDY FOLKS I'S ANDREW GILLUM *MONKEY SHRIEK SOUND EFFECT* AND I'S GONNA TAKE YOU'S GUNS AND RAISE DEM TAXES SO'S I CAN BUY MESELF SOME WATAMELON AND FRIED CHICKEN!"

:staredog:

....what?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Wow. I'm actually speechless.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Don't hide who you are, look at Fridge Corn, he's just openly a bit of a dick and we still (kinda) love him for it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

ExplodingSims posted:

Hey guys, the government doesn't literally have a file marked LGBT Death Plans, Fig. A-G, so things cant be that bad, amirite?

Seriously. The fact that the gubbmint is trying to change anyone's legal gender definition in THE LAND OF THE FREE, HOME OF THE BRAVE should be getting any true patriot's blood pressure up and questioning just what the hell is going on.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

spog posted:

Paying someone £225 to replace a fuel pump cause the tank needs to be dropped and I'm not doing that under jackstands.

Dropped mine a bit ago, it really didn't want to come out at first and was a complete dick in all honesty due to the main nuts not wanting to loosen from 30 years of road grime blasted at them. Once it was off though the straps were cleaned and repainted with nice rubber paint before I put it back in to drive the car to the workshop it lives at now. Dropping it again next week, should be a lot easier now!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

spog posted:

Good to know: I'd feel a bit of a wuss if it turned out to be an easy job.

I know I am overpaying for the replacement pump rather than sourcing it myself, but I've heard anecdotally that the replacements fail at quite a rate so at least this way, it's on the garage to replace if it fails

The annoying bit was the fact the fuel pump wouldn't disconnect from the hard line due to the aforementioned 30 years of road grime on a connection. This meant I had to lower the tank about 3" (the entirety of the flex available on the lines) in order to remove the pump pretty much in-situ which necessitated pulling the bumper and the bumper structure too, twisting the fuel pump out of the tank whilst lowering the tank and getting the pump out of the way before the thing could be lowered entirely.

8/10 annoyance factor. I'll be replacing the lot before the car's back out on the roads again.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

RWD depending on your point of view is the most fun you could ever have in snowy conditions or an incredibly focused, stressful experience. I've never driven particularly far in it and the snow wasn't deep but I learned that momentum is very much a thing you need to maintain. If you stop, chances are you'll get stuck. Shout out to the 3 burly boys heading to the pub for pushing me out of my parking spot.

fridge corn posted:

Find an empty car park after the first snowfall and go nuts

And this is incredibly helpful to do. I live near a massive park and hit up the car park adjoining it when it snowed.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

everdave posted:

Ballpark cost / difficulty throwing twin turbos on a 2jz?

Ebay NA-T kits are $1300, proper full kits about $5000.

Info on the process: https://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?682898-NA-t-BIBLE-things-you-need-to-know-for-your-NA-T-conversion#/topics/682898

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

modern metal is bad

Metal that takes itself seriously is bad.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Tomarse posted:

They also finished their set by setting up a big wall of death which they then did this to. Which was inspired.

Superb. The sight of all those black shirts strangely confused/annoyed then getting into it as they realise it's not going to stop is great. :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Speaking of tyre repair, one from the late night youtube recommendations folder...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdB8IXXShVE

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

spog posted:

Hell of a cliffhanger.

...on next week's episode: Vulcanization, how to turn yourself into Mr Spock for that fancy dress party.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Suburban Dad posted:

I changed the oil in my snowblower today and was confident I could do it without a drip. There's a little donger offshoot from the sump (parallel to the ground, no overhang so normally it would drip on the case) with the drain plug that I could put a funnel over immediately, then have it drain into a pan. Super easy, what could go wrong? The plug falling into the funnel, blocking it, and stopping it up within seconds. :v:

A spotless oil change I think is just impossible. Fuckin' Murphy, man.

Let me whisper these words in your ear real quick; Fumoto oil drain valve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHIoQb2WPL0

*edit: snowblower. hmm, they mayyyy have one

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 13, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

Never been to a nightclub I see...

Alcoholic fluids yes, bodily fluids? What kinda clubs do yooooooooou go to? :pervert:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Well if you are wearing scrubs, probably Pulse Nightclub.

Too dark?

A little, yes. :/

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

I keep browsing old alfa wheels on eBay, they go for nothing (nobody wants 13" & 14" wheels) and they're such a frivolous unnecessary luxury but the panda would look :krad: with some of these orange powder coated:

What PCD are Panda wheels? 4x100?

*edit: 4x98 it seems?

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 15, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

slidebite posted:

In other news, more confirmation I am possibly the worlds biggest manchild. Stopped by a grocery store on my way home for lunch. Ended up bringing this bucket of goodness home..... of which I am borderline addicted. Previously I have eaten so many of them at one time I have literally, with no exaggeration, caused my tongue to bleed.

I really need to learn to not go to the grocery store when I'm hungry :(

I do stuff like that too and I can't help myself :hfive:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

Well I might as well ask in here, where should I place my left and right speakers?

I figured the center channel speaker can sit on the mantle but IDK what to do about left and right.

I could theoretically do in wall but the cost is prohibitive but I really don't want any visible wires

Maybe wall mount the speakers to the side of the TV and hide the wires behind the TV?

If you want suggested standard placement for speakers, centre under the screen, left/right speakers 30 degrees either side of screen from your seating position and surrounds 20 degrees behind your head from seating position. All tweeters at ear level if possible, angled if not.

TV ideally should be mounted so when you’re sat down your eyelevel is mid-screen or just a tad higher (same plane as speakers which are ear level ideally) But people don’t tend to mount them above fireplaces if there’s any other choice so whatever.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Chinatown posted:

I can't imagine nailing some local in Italy. Yikes.

Italy being the country where they park with the handbrake off so the person trying to park behind them can squeeze in by hitting their bumper... I think you’d be fine.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

"Law says I need a helmet on a scooter, but I just got my hair done, so I'll hang it off the handlebars and slip it on real quick if it looks like I'm about to bin it"
Buzzes off up the centre of Rome in a cream linen suit, ogling anything in a skirt
:italy:

It important to look stylish, Italy invented the term ‘fresh to death’

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Darchangel posted:

I played Astro Bot on an acquaintance’s PSVR recently, and was amazed at how well it worked. It was beautiful.

Astro Bot is a super cute little platformer that's really clever in the way you actually use the tech. Wipeout HD in VR made me feel violently ill. Rez is Rez so fantastic but I feel the standard HD version is best.

Tetris Effect is incredibly immersive though and a super cool use of the headset and likely the one I'd play a long way down the line because the underlying game itself is just so good. The way the game is now linked to the music playing is super cool and there's times where you're getting snowed under due to the track heating up, your stack is approaching the top and then the song breaks and you can clear up your loving mess. You can use zone mode from stacking up lines, it causes any lines you get to stack up at the bottom and once it times out however many lines you stack up disappear at once. The max you can get is 16 lines which is a decahexatris. It's a seriously cool game, just a pity it's a Playstation exclusive.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Queen Combat posted:

I woke up in a cold sweat with the entrails from a PSVR bundle strewn about the apartment.

While playing some Beat Saber, I noticed something brush against my leg and I freaked the gently caress out. Throw the headset off, and there's this girl just laying there:

(Also slumlord apartment, carpet is coming loose, needs to be stretched)

After rolling around for a bit, she left.

Goodbye mystery kitty! I hope you didn't bring me bedbugs.

:o mystery black cat! We have one at work, he has his own twitter account and everything that everyone uses to let his owners know where he's at.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

spog posted:

Looking for UK tools on Amazon's sale, I found this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wera-05003755001-Zyklop-Ratchet-4-inch/dp/B07B82MKJM

Is it wrong for a socket set to give you an erection?

Nope. Wera stuff is really good quality too. I bought a set of their diamond screwdriver bits and abused the gently caress out of them for a year and only managed to wear a single one down.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Fo3 posted:

It was good though. First time a n64 everdrive V3 cart was under au$200 delivered so I bought one.

Nice, I keep looking at those. Let me know how it is.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Just when you think you're having a totally normal day someone walks into the office to ask you about putting a cat's collar on the wifi at work... We have a cat at work, he's twitter famous and basically lets himself into the various buildings here to go wandering, get fed, get pet and fall asleep on someone's chair. Due to him roaming so far from home (about 3 miles all in) his owners have gotten him a GPS collar to track his location, it also apparently has a wifi mode which would be very useful as we're fully wifi'd up everywhere and it's a pretty huge place. Sadly the app to do this is too dumb to work with commercial wifi so we can't make it work for him.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

spog posted:

You're going to insert a wifi dongle into that cat's arse, aren't you?

Strangely the thought never crossed my mind until I read it here

:dogbutton:

InitialDave posted:

I really hope the tracker app comes with a skin/sound effects for the motion tracker in Alien.

You'd think it'd be an essential thing if you're a designer making it, right? Sadly it's not a thing. Ridiculous.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

ExplodingSims posted:

It's worth noting that just because the records show low unemployment, that doesnt take things like underemployment into account.

Just because the gig economy bubble has burst yet doesnt mean people are doing well.

Hello, this is what the current UK government is doing to fudge the numbers. Any amount of hours of work per week = employed even if it's just a single hour.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I’ll allow it because let’s be honest, making an already gaudy Lambo even more gaudy is just playing the game.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Previa_fun posted:

Regular Cars guy is so very bad at driving on a track.

He is bad at cars full stop. As I’ve mentioned before, to him they’re just a starting point, an excuse to jerk himself off writing about other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Haha wow. It was ridiculous. I get that it's an over the top action movie but come on, lets have some semblance of reality to keep people from going "well this is really loving stupid".

People who watch Fast and Furious films think there's any semblance of reality in them? The Rio one had them pull a bank vault with a Dodge Magnum... :v: the only thing 'real' about FnF films is the fact they take place on 'Earth' with human looking people driving things we know as cars. That's it. If you want realism you're wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy off track sitting down in front of a FnF movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD2ozQ4HFsE

What is this realism you speak of?? Fully agree that it's way out there in terms of realism but this is a movie where the original had a 1/4 mile drag race where it lasted for like 60 seconds and the cars changed gears about 12 times each during. It's not like the series got more stupid as it went on, it was always dumb as a brick.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 28, 2018

• Locked thread