Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Dagen H posted:

I want to replace my slow old POS refurb Dell Optiplex 755 with a newer (used) laptop. Internet and occasionally Netflix, no gaming or live streaming. What specs should I be looking for? Any specific recommendations?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01L8PDWAU/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

I'd pick this up particularly the used one for 200 bones.

The Intel M3-7Y30 is a good rear end processor and the 2-in-1 capability is neat for when you need it. Chromebooks are fine until the second you need Windows for something useful. The other computers with the M3-7Y30 sell for $600+ people are just bad at speccing laptops based on actual hardware so most people don't know about this particular model.

The M3-8100Y was released Q3 of 2018 so you may want to be on the lookout for a laptop featuring it because it basically poops on other low power consumption processor offerings.

Then again since you say Netflix you may mean you want 1080p streaming on a 15.6"+ screen. Are you going to use the laptop as a graphics output source for a larger TV? I don't know if the i3179 can output to an external monitor at a higher resolution than the native resolution of the laptop but there are 3 models of laptop that ship with the same processor and display in 1080p.

keykey posted:

Not really, just go to big box store du jour and play with some then pick out the one you like the best, it's all personal preference. Also, if you've never played with one, it will give you the opportunity to see if you like the interface or not. For most people, it's an acquired taste.

This is bad advice. Big box stores loving love selling old hardware at a premium.

For example the current model year Inspiron 3000 uses the AMD A9-9420e which benchmarks horribly even compared to a 2 year older Intel processor with a lower TDP.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-A9-9420e-vs-Intel-m3-7Y30/3226vs2864

So anyone who went out and spent the 320 bucks on one of these laptops is basically getting scammed. Big box stores are notorious for shoving bad/cheap hardware in their offerings so do your research.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

keykey posted:

I mostly agree with your statement. However, if a user has never tried a platform before, it’s better to get some hands on time with the os to make a more informed decision before making a purchase based solely on specs and benchmarks.

This is a good point. I rescind my opinion that it is bad advice. I agree that it's smart to go to a brick and mortar to get used to the platform. However it is not smart to buy at a big box store before fully researching what other options are available online to get better/newer hardware and better specs after you have decided on a platform. I also agree that it's a bad idea to buy based on specs/benchmarks unless one buys a specced tablet/laptop from a vendor that allows for easy returns.

slidebite posted:

If you want to stay with windows and can ante up the price, the surface pro is a pretty decent laptop tablet combo.

:agreed: However the price to performance ratio on the Surfaces can be a bit meh. It seems HP/Dell/ASUS/Lenovo have equal hardware without the premium price of the surface but there may be a build quality sacrifice present in those lower prices.

Microsoft Surface Pro (5th Gen) (Intel Core M, 4GB RAM, 128GB)

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 1, 2018

• Locked thread