Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
So, the Forester with Blizzaks is phenomenal in bad weather. Should I keep the DWSes on the Impreza for when we gave weird warm spikes, or put studs in the Altimaxes for when it's icy and miserable?

(Or should I sell the drat thing and save on insurance? gently caress, I would miss it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Happy birthday to anyone born around the 14th of this month, your parents enjoyed Valentine's day a whole bunch.

Your numbers are slightly off (LMP for ovulation window of mid-February would be late January, with subsequent due date around the sixth to ninth), but I applaud your attempt to gross out fellow posters.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Powershift posted:

Merry christmas, everybody!

We have one nurse already gearing up for Christmas, it's maddening.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

STR posted:

So let's say someone was born in the 3rd week of August, but was supposedly 1-2 weeks late?

Where would that put me that kid?
Working backward from a due date of August 1st, estimated date of conception is November 8th . So youthat person can celebrate Mom Getting Boned Day real soon!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I hope your family has a nice big banana cream pie for Thanksgiving.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

STR posted:

I mean, not that I know exactly how big Dad's banana is, but I know how big mine is, and how pissed off he got (and how hard my stepmother laughed) when I handed him a box of "condoms for small cocks bananas" as a joke gift once (they were finger things). It'll have to be a very average sized pie.

Hey, even a small banana can make a for a big cream pie.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I am unfortunately out of ways to overextend the Thanksgiving dicking entendres. STR, YOUR FATHER PUT HIS PENIS IN YOUR MOTHER ON THANKSGIVING AND THERE IS AN EJACULATION JOKE ONE COULD MAKE ABOUT IT

In unrelated news, I am editing a paper for my wife and it is giving me a goddamned headache.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

spog posted:

Are we excluding the possibility of immaculate conception?

Or even just in vitro fertilization.

edit: how is test tube babby formed

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

STR posted:

Why do I feel like I'm suddenly everdave, except without kids? :sigh: (speaking of, she doesn't like me using condoms, and I know drat well my pull out game isn't that great, so it's been Russian Roulette).
You are dipping an unwrapped dick in a vat of pure crazy, and it's going to make your life miserable if you don't quit while you're ahead.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

MC Hawking posted:

STR put it in her butt instead.

Also not 100%, due to dribbling. To bring this full-circle, at Thanksgiving in ten years' time STR Jr is going to mention chocolate cream pie and his parents are just going to glare at each other.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 4, 2018

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

meatpimp posted:

Classy finish move. I hate it when metaphors are left unresolved.

Someone doxx STR for the sole purpose of sending him some kind of pie every Thanksgiving, for the ultimate callback.

"Another pie? Honey, why--"
"Don't ask."

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

STR posted:

You know.... chocolate cream pie was my favorite pie. Until you came along, doc. :smithicide:
I'm glad to have been of service.

In other news, a 9000 square foot house blew up about three miles from here in a gas explosion. Me and all of my neighbors were outside trying to figure out what the gently caress happened. Based on this old listing I'm gonna go with "insurance fraud."

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

I'm about to give that ballot a straight D.

Don't pull out before you're done.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

This is just waaaaay funnier than it has a right to be.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Holy poo poo.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
My parents drive my nephews around a good bit, so I bought them a two-screen DVD setup for the headrests of their car. Each can play its own DVD, or they can be hooked up together to play the same thing. Their old Escape had it but Ford wanted, like, $1200 for the option on the new one so they deferred; this was a looooot cheaper and works great.

edit: And you could strap it on for rear-facing seats, too, though obviously the push is for less screen time at those ages.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

BraveUlysses posted:

30 year anniversary reissue of ...And Justice for All is out and I still cant get over how this album never sounds old

fuckin owns
Back In Black is almost forty years old, and also is timeless. Craziness. (Cue the "same album eleven times" quote.)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Y'all are nuts.

Edit: in unrelated news, the respiratory tech at work who was declared braindead after a motorcycle accident ... woke up, has started rehab, and will be going home soon.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 10, 2018

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Ugh, woke up for no reason and couldn't get back to sleep. Having some decaf tea with some scotch while waiting for my brain to stop being an rear end in a top hat. (Spoiler alert: it won't.)

I do have to wonder why I have two bottles of GlenDronach Allardice 18. Not that I'm complaining, it's just that it seems pretty good for someone who doesn't really drink scotch. I think one is from the BIL for Tet Jr's birth, but the other?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

The Door Frame posted:

I'm having an idea that I think is a bad one, but I'm not sure. When my fiance left, it was so sudden and we didn't even talk about what was happening for 5 minutes. No joke, the music I was listening in my headphones (yes I took them out) before she gave my ring back and subsequently left had only gone forward by one song

I want to kind of confront her, get a chance to get some closure over this thing. I feel I deserve that much, at least

I feel like it's a bad idea because I don't want us to get back together and this might be a result of our actually sitting and talking, but I need to get some of this poo poo out of my head. It's keeping me up at night
You are right: it probably is a bad idea. Closure will occur, but it may take time. Certainly no conversation stemming from a confrontation will provide you with the answers you need. You might be able to have a productive, mutual conversation in a neutral location, but probably not when feelings are raw.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, life goes on. Still sucks. I'd done a fairly good job weeding out the rotten people in my life, I didn't expect one of my inner circle to do lovely stuff.

Disillusionment is a particular kick in the guts when you already felt like you were overly cynic.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

spog posted:

Maybe someone wants to hit on you and this is their move?

E: are scrubs gendered? Cause the look equally unflattering and gender-neutral to me.

Generic scrubs are gender-neutral, but there are more attractive options available to people who feel the need to blow some cash to look good at work.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

spog posted:

What, like wider labels or shoulder pads?

Or flame patterns? It's flame patterns, isn't it?

People literally buy scrubs designed for Grey's Anatomy because they fit and look better. Figs also seems to be popular. (Personally, I'm a Fashion Seal guy. No-frills, usual crap style, but they last and the sizing is consistent.)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

spog posted:

Which one is you?

Tsk tsk. I'm clearly from another show.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

angryrobots posted:

Personally I picture tetra as Mark Greene, from the original cast of ER.
He's way too tall and way too bald. I am merely Nondescript Emergency Physician #3.

There are scrubs that are designed to be antibacterial and impervious to bodily fluids, but it's generally not an issue. That's why we have gowns available. Besides, most things are less bloody than you'd think -- after all, they may have kindly left most of it outside for us.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Alarbus posted:

My 10 month old keeps getting colds from daycare, which is fine, that's how he's building an immune system. The problem is that I get sick when he does. In theory my immune system should be improving as well, but I'm getting really tired of it.

On the upside, daycare knows that the youngest kids will basically have colds, so there's no problem sending them to daycare, just so long as they don't have a temperature!

My also ten-month-old is in exactly the same boat. The difference is that I'm already exposed to all that poo poo at work, so it's no different than status quo. Man, does he ever hate getting snot suctioned out of his nose, though.

He is THIS close to walking -- he needs just a little stabilization with one hand. I'm not sure I'm ready for him to be that mobile yet!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Suburban Dad posted:

As everyone else in the thread said already, daycare. They swim in a sea of germs, and bring it home. 14 months old now and it's been a rough year for colds.

Same with ours. She's pulling herself up but still not quite ready to do it herself yet. Hopefully soon but it will also be more exhausting. :v:

On the plus side, he's a lot more interesting now. Before he wanted to be held but also didn't want me to sit, and hated the sling, and it fucks with my arm. Now he grabs my pinky finger and we just run around the house, stop to play with his favorite toys (a pile of plastic measuring cups), get up and run around some more.

In other news, the Blizzaks went on the Forester today. Gonna keep all seasons on the Impreza for now in case we get freak warm days, might stud its Altimaxes to flop on if we get an impending massive ice storm.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Fermented Tinal posted:

I am, my brand new car certainly isn't! Today is literally the due date for my first payment.

Ugh. Try to get something for diminished value.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

everdave posted:

I just got a renewal notice for the Prius that I had to give to my lazy bum of an ex-wife. This means it is still in my name and she is out I am sure often driving drunk in a car in my name registered to me. What the hell can I do? I signed the title over to her in July. This is a person who was told by the judge in December to get a job and of course she hasn’t.
It's probably easy enough to call the DMV and explain that the vehicle is n---hahahahahaha, nothing is easy with the DMV. They incorrectly listed one of my cars as stolen and it was a huge loving pain to get it re-registered, and in the meantime my wife was in active loving labor.

But there's probably an easy way to find out who is on the title. If it's you, you get her to a title center and you take care of that poo poo. If it's her, you mail her the registration paperwork and say, "It's your problem, you fix it."

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lol have you not heard about everdave's ex wife

Just call your lawyer and let him/her deal with it

Yeah, after I hit Submit I remembered the huge piles of crazy he was dealing with. The lawyer is the way to go.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
That's a loving garbage deal and it sucks you guys are getting hit with all of this, especially at once. Thankfully, at least on the HCV front her workplace should be responsible for everything since it was all occupational exposure. Ledipasvir/sofosbuvir is an incredible step forward, but it's virtually a crime that they're charing $84k for it. As far as I am aware the current recommendations are to treat everyone who is anticipated not to die soon from an unrelated illness, so she a) should qualify, and b) shouldn't be responsible for the cost. I (both fortunately and unfortunately in this case) don't have any friends in medicine who seroconverted, so I can't say whether these "should"s translate into reality, but she's got a strong argument and probably a strong nursing union as well.

You guys are going to pull through. It sucks you don't have anyone you can face-to-face vent to, which is really hard when you have to stay strong and positive for your wife no matter how angry, scared, and powerless you might feel. For what it's worth, we're here for you.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

cakesmith handyman posted:

:3: nice.

We made the decision to reduce the height of my son's bed today, he occasionally wakes up disoriented due to low cortisol and he's got a raised cabin bed so there's a not-insignificant risk of him falling out and really hurting himself. Despite having discussed this with him the reality of getting the saw out brought him to tears and it took my wife over an hour to calm him down. When I'd done he liked it though and we discussed changes to make in the future, but it looks like my standard "talk about it for ages then get a sudden rush of blood to the head and actually do it" DIY style isn't compatible with him, emotionally.

I suspect that anything that reminds him that Things Have Changed Forever is probably going to be a bit rough, so I bet that no matter whether you jumped in or eased in he would have taken it hard. Better to have jumped in and done it rather than have him fall before you got around to it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Super. A charge for $6.20 from some place I don't recognize just went through ("ISLXCAM CYX in UPPER FAIRMOU US" per the text alert). So there's decidedly a non-zero chance that two loving days before Thanksgiving I'll have to cancel the card. I have the number memorized and everything, and I'll gave to hunt down everything that uses it for recurring charges.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Aaaaaaaand it looks like a fraudulent charge and I had to cancel the card. Motherfucker, I had that number memorized, too.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

meatpimp posted:

A 3 prostitute fight in Vegas left the biggest tumbleweave I've ever seen.

Ah, the old ménage à brawl.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
The sweet versus savory cornbread issue can be divisive.

A nearby restaurant has some fantastic (sweet) cornbread. They put just enough jalapenos in it to spice it up a touch.

Edit: My mom made pickled beets and eggs the last time she came to visit. Jesus, I love these things. Is that a Western PA thing?

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 20, 2018

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Fo3 posted:

Ha, that's lame...Plenty of regular flour breads have a tiny bit of sugar in them.
Anyway if you use the AB recipe with a small can of creamed corn you can skip the sugar (there's sugar in the creamed corn anyway :ssh: )
People definitely get attached to their culture. I don't understand why people get huffy about this stuff ("If its sweet, its cake!") -- I definitely have some attachment to the foods I grew up with, but it is just so very awesome to live in a metropolitan area with so many different cultures and foods.

Related side-note: What everyone calls pot pie is 100% not what I grew up with as pot pie. Pennsylvania Dutch pot pie isn't meat and vegetables in a crust, it's meat and noodles in a gravy. There appear to be warring factions in this subgroup as well, with some using eggs in the noodles and some not. My family was the latter. This looks close to my grandmother's recipe's final results; she always used ham instead of chicken. On cold winter days, it's the food I miss most from growing up, I think.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
It's a bastardization of a German word (much like the "Dutch" in "Pennsylvania Dutch" itself), and we wouldn't call it "a pot pie," just "pot pie." And I don't care, it's delicious, you should try it. =D Food is great. Try all the food.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

meatpimp posted:

I had never heard of "hot chicken" before this weekend and right now I'm goddamned mad that it is nowhere near me. I tried Hattie B's and it is absolutely sublime. Beautiful heat while still having a strong fried chicken taste... yummy.

http://hattieb.com/

The place we just had breakfast has had a hot chicken sandwich on the menu for about two weeks now. ("Brunch Every Day" is a terrible loving name for a restaurant, by the way. "Let's go to Brunch for breakfast!") It's great -- maybe even better than Southern Cross Kitchen's friend chicken sandwich -- but I can''t speak for the authenticity or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Congrats!

Now go find the disasters they hid from you. For my neighbor, it was a cast iron toilet drain pipe that was literally missing a one-foot segment that had somehow been eaten away. Most of the flushed waste fell straight down into the lower segment.

MOST.

In unrelated news, I am excited. https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/11/its-a-fight-against-bubblegum-pastels-in-trailer-for-the-lego-movie-2/

• Locked thread