Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Gave the new camera kit a random hitout today (Canon 7D Mk II, 100-400 L IS II)

I still want a 1D of some kind. But other than wank value or pay to play to attact paid work, whats the point? (Anyone knows someone with one lookign to offload, I wont say no tho) Also I'm pretty sure that 100-400 is about to become my primary motorsport lens, it's stupid good

God drat, you can see every single drop of water from that sea doo crystal clear. I know that the quality of the pictures is in large part due to the operator, but that is a nice piece of glass. I look forward to seeing your motorsport images with that kit. What’s the next event to shoot?

Modus Man fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Anyone interested in a Automotive Photography thread, ie discussion on how tos / cameras etc?

Yes. Might even get me to practice using my ‘babby’s first’ DSLR by taking pictures of my muddy and rusty suv’s.

I’ve been sadly just using my camera on fully automatic mode like a point and shoot and wouldn’t mind seeing some tips and tricks for automotive photography. I’d really like to take pictures at some of the automotive events we get around here, like getting into the Lingenfelter collection when they open to the public once a year.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

spog posted:

I'd like to apologise for starting vote chat.

I’ll say something positive about voting, at least. We did it right in Michigan:
1. Legalized recreational marijuana! Bout loving time.

2. Stopped gerrymandering.

3. Made it a lot easier to vote, allowing for registering to vote on the spot and getting absentee ballots whenever you want.

The Door Frame posted:

She gave me back the ring

Hope this doesn’t sound too harsh, but you dodged a bullet there bud.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

`Nemesis posted:

According to Firestone this is not repairable. :rolleyes:

Every store that sells and repairs tires received some literature a few years ago from the Rubber Manufacturers Association, detailing that the repair area of a tire is only the center tread area. Now nobody wants to touch it if it’s anywhere near the shoulder because even though there isn’t an actual law governing tire repair, the RMA literature has been used as guidelines in lawsuits.

It’s a bunch of bs because a tire can be repaired anywhere as long as it’s done properly (including the sidewall, excluding the bead area). Oh, and just a plug is a no-no too since the hole needs to be filled and the inside needs to be patched.

/End tire repair rant

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

NumbersMatching320 posted:

sidewalls are extremely difficult without a cured repair (as would happen during retreading) because of all the flex that happens in the area due to the belts only extending so far. I spent the last year of my tire career testing the limits and if the corded section of a reinforced patch (such as a CT-12) extends much past the belted section of a radial tire it will almost invariably fail. Non-reinforced patches may do better but I don't trust them all that far due to the smaller bonding area.

That said I would never at any point in my tire career have even hesitated before repairing Nemesis' tire, that is so far inside my personal margin I could just about put another patch between a patch covering that nail and the no-go line.

I agree, reinforced patches are too stiff to use on the sidewall of a passenger tire. I always tell my customers to just follow the RMA guidelies for their customer's tires. In my own tire, I would be completely comfortable using a good patch plug combo in the sidewall. The one I sell, for example, is non-reinforced solid rubber with chemical-cure cushion gum on the patch and on the stem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

tetrapyloctomy posted:

...Besides, most things are less bloody than you'd think -- after all, they may have kindly left most of it outside for us.

Not buying it, I watched House. There’s always blood... always.

• Locked thread