Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

the spyder posted:

I need a new DD.
Don't you have a half dozen RX-7s still? (just like KJ)

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Happy birthday to anyone born around the 14th of this month, your parents enjoyed Valentine's day a whole bunch.
My mom laughed for about 5 minutes straight when I pointed this out to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

RX-7s just naturally congregate in large immobile rusty groups.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Hey, even a small banana can make a for a big cream pie.
You would know

😁

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Obviously I was at Syndey Airport yesterday doing plane spotting but even then you can see exactly just how fast a modern DSLR can chew up cards - took 650 RAW images in something like 10 minutes shooting time total and I was out on a 16Gb card. With the 7D mk II those RAW files are 22-24mb each. A 1D X Mk II is up to 30mb so on a 128Gb card thats about 4200 image files. Also that 1D is a dual card camera so even more right there.

Most of the good software for image processing have quite sophisticated job control language so you can run through thousands incredibly fast doing quite a number of post changes - Smarter Every Day just did a video where he wanted a bespoke editing PC and went to a company that builds and tests custom setups - one of the benchmarks they use is Lightroom with some quite impressive amount of scripting to handle 4000 RAW files in one run. Now (to me) what really is impressive is the recognition plugins - lets say for a running event where you have tens of thousands of competitors - you as the photographer are asked to shoot at certain settings with supplied cards, the millions of files are then run through the pugins and then sorted into each competitor based on either number they are wearing, clothing or facial regognition. And then loaded up to site for sale in 48 hours. Fortunatly for them they usualy require to shoot in small (LOL I cant get an image smaller than 5mb on the 7D mk II) JPEG which speeds up the process. Still, they need to upload, process, sort and publish 5Tb of images in 48 hours at a decent sized running festival. The job I last did was 40,000 images from 4 photograpers - 200Gb sent from Australia into THE CLOUD and away they go.

I noticed that the latest photos I did also now were being sorted by the competitors bikes as well. The hit / miss ratio is somewhere along the lines of 95%.
Pro photogs at track days do that exact thing. The prices, however, are loving insane. $50 for everything of me in it is steep but doable. $120 for the same package, or $50 for a single loving image, is just gonna make me walk on by.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Betwho?

Now to see how NV and AZ and FL end up. We knew the house was gonna go this way.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Fender Anarchist posted:

i've been hiding this for like 4 months but gently caress it yall are cool

so yeah i caught me a case of the genders. that's pretty important context for my reaction to all this. my state vocally and undeniably wants me dead, or at least cares enough about MAH TAX DOLLARS that they're willing to vote in politicians who do, which is functionally no different. i can't even claim the right wingers are a vocal minority anymore, 8 million people voted yesterday, something like 60% of the state, and we still lost.

gently caress this state gently caress the south gently caress the country gently caress this gay earth
Good luck Fender

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Except the vast majority of this country either doesn't care about your gender identity, or at most thinks "that's gross". Living in the US and acting like there's a junta hunting down trans folk is just badbrains.
The left has a huge mental break between literally Nazis and historical Nazis. Thinking about trans hunting squads is more of the same. A lot of the poo poo that Trump says is, on a degree of hype level, identical to what the left says. Neither extreme is going to happen in America anytime soon, because the vast majority, even if they are silent for now, vehemently disagrees with the rhetoric. Antifa is just as rhetorically extreme as the stupid Pride Boys bullshit. Blaming everything bad on immigrants is just as bad of blaming everything bad on racism, and both approaches are dead wrong.

The vast majority of the right just wants immigration laws to be enforced and the immigrants we let in to want to be Americans not just living in our borders. We used to call America the melting pot, with immigrants adding spice to to the mix but still taking on the overall flavor. The left doesn't care about keeping the melting pot hot, and is fine with being a stew with distinct identities for separate groups. Immigrants flying the Mexican flag, for instance, is a direct affront to that ideal. And that is what riles up the right about illegal immigration.

Reflexive dismissal coming in 5...4....

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

keykey posted:

Forgive my sarcasm, but both my trans friends committed suicide in their early 40’s and as loving weird as it may seem we’re both staunch highly religious republicans, because California and anti-establishment as weird as it is to wrap your mind around that... Turns out hormones have a good chance of doing some wonderful poo poo to your brain which is why a psychologist is recommended at all times and tone of the reasons trans death is young. So to our trans posters out there, be safe and do everything to a T. Also, both had really hosed up, highly abusive childhoods which both of them point blank said that’s why they didn’t feel comfortable in their own bodies and felt like less of a man so they reassigned. Their plight had nothing to do with a party in power, but hormones and abusive childhoods are a cocktail for disaster, at least in both my friends. Thanks, now I really miss them. :(
The suicide rate along trans- is something obscenely high, like 30x higher than average iirc? Something like that. Be safe trans- goons. And condolences for your friends.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

Fedex guy is bringing aluminum loading ramps today for the truck. Woo less sketchy moto loading options!
You still trying to move to euroland?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Rhyno posted:

He didn't do anything dramatic, there's no drugs, violence or jail time. He just made a promise that was somewhat important and broke it.
Dating your sister?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Tomarse posted:

I went to this today. It was awesome. I’m still not sure who some of the bands were:

They're like Porsches. You can see the badge, but no idea what it says.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Let me whisper these words in your ear real quick; Fumoto oil drain valve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHIoQb2WPL0

*edit: snowblower. hmm, they mayyyy have one
"Sorry, it seems like Ford used a yellow proprietary plug on this one :(. You'll most likely only be able to use that plug."

D'oh!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

Ok, so has Google maps started putting advertising in their maps or has that always been there?
Like, lately I've noticed when it's giving directions it'll say stuff like "Turn right on to XYZ street after Wells Fargo on the Left" or "In 1000' turn left after McDonalds on the corner"
Has that always been there and I just never noticed? :psyduck:
It's supposed to be visual landmarks, not advertising.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

not sure but they're gonna have a total of 3 of them eventually to achieve full production rate

the 777x wings has two spars, the largest one is a 105 foot single piece of carbon composite

the 787 uses carbon for the spars but the large spar is 3 pieces which are assembled together. also the wings are significantly smaller than 777/777x
AKA Boeing neither knows not cares what they cost.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Before this paradise fire pg&e was going to shut down the power lines in the area and people bitched and they didn't. Oops. You're right that it's no win. And nobody clears the underbrush like they are supposed to, which makes the fires so much worse.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

quote:

Darchangel posted:

PS4s Xbox Ones are pretty cheap

That's why I gave up on PCs and went to an Xbox 360 years ago.
Can consoles use real input devices yet? gently caress gamepads forever.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 17, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I'll probably do a silly video walk through of the house tomorrow for yous goons. I gotta run to Lowes and buy a matched lock set for three doors.
Keypad or smart lock. Its awesome to be able to just walk up and open the door instead of fishing for a key.

angryrobots posted:

Seconded on all of the above. It's also great to know that you can't lock yourself out.
Having this on the truck is also amazing.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

My parents and family are awesome and my fiancee gets along with them great too. So...

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Good poo poo, QC. Proud of you

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

meatpimp posted:

I think it's more than that. College is structured to push you out of your comfort zone. To force you into situations that you have to navigate where you don't have a clear idea of where or how to go at the onset. It requires you to engage with people, concepts, and ideas that you would not if you were not required to. I believe that this instills a larger, more broad world view that, as you say, shows you're able to learn.
These days? Bull loving poo poo. Liberal snowflakes and the liberal administrator enablers have shredded that concept to oblivion.

College is valuable, to the student and to society. But saying everyone has to go is bullshit, just like saying nobody should go is bullshit. There's a balance to be struck. Trade schools for trade specific training, AA's for general skills training, and gap years before college for real world training should be far more prevalent all around.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo scraping ceilings sucks

Four rooms down. A hallway and two rooms to go, the other spaces don't have this crap!
In my experience removing the popcorn is awesome. Removing it also turns those rooms into horrible echo chambers.

• Locked thread