Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Is this the thread to rant about the horrors you discover when unraveling the previous owner's 'handiwork'?

At some point, they cut the perfectly good positive wire powering the lighter socket in the dash and wire nutted the socket end onto a wire that is itself wire nutted into a cut in the positive wire powering the blower motor. I didn't initially notice because the blower was fried upon purchase. Then I didn't notice when I replaced the blower because whatever switch in the climate control head unit turns it on and off has failed on, so the blower was cranking anytime the key was on. Only when I threw a switch on that wire so I could shut it off did I realize that the switch was also controlling the socket.

Artist's rendition, the reality is nowhere near this neat and is all wadded up and squished behind the CC head:

Today I got annoyed enough to untangle it and hooked the red wire back together with a switch so I can control it and the blower independently. The mystery patch wire I put the wire nut back on the end of and haven't extracted yet. I left it because sometimes in this thing, an electrical bodge that I think does nothing actually does something and I have to cram it back in.

Example, this thing:

A wire going into and out of a thumb-sized wad of steelstik, wire nutted onto one of the 2359042 tiny purple wires in the harness, just flopping around in there loose (except for the wire nuts).

I have removed this tumor. Twice. And quickly put it back because the van immediately threw a new CEL for a scary code I'd never seen before. Both times I put the demonic wart back, it didn't fix the code, I found the thing that DID cause the code and fixed it, but it was absolutely in no way related to anything the tumor could have done, and then I'm so frustrated I don't want to fight with the electrical anymore, and I leave it in for another six months. Once was when I was diagnosing the charging system with an (unknown to me at the time) intermittently failing alternator; the other I'd accidentally broken a wire on the TPS while working on something else. It's like it lashes out when I remove it because it doesn't want to leave. Maybe I need an exorcist. Alternatively, my retired mechanic uncle says it's probably a resistor on the wire for the coolant temp sensor, which is a ghetto hack to wring a little more power out of a 318 at the expense of a little fuel economy. So maybe the 3rd try I'll cut it out without breaking anything else and it'll be fine. (lol no, this never happens)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread