Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
poo poo OP, goode catte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

New Binky is GLORIOUS. That alternator setup.......

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Gave the new camera kit a random hitout today (Canon 7D Mk II, 100-400 L IS II)

I still want a 1D of some kind. But other than wank value or pay to play to attact paid work, whats the point? (Anyone knows someone with one lookign to offload, I wont say no tho) Also I'm pretty sure that 100-400 is about to become my primary motorsport lens, it's stupid good

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Modus Man posted:

God drat, you can see every single drop of water from that sea doo crystal clear. I know that the quality of the pictures is in large part due to the operator, but that is a nice piece of glass. I look forward to seeing your motorsport images with that kit. What’s the next event to shoot?

Rally Australia, 15-17th November.

I dont know i'f I'll even use my 70-200 2.8L. Thats a great bit of glass but gg the 100-400 II really is just superb.

The Door Frame posted:

Those are some very nice pictures! I've been wanting to get the missus a 70d to replace her Rebel 3 for a long while, but drat, if I can ever find a telephoto lens like that for the price of a new body, I know what she's getting first

I believe the STM lens lines are pretty good (Some apparently approach L-Glass) and keep an eye out for used lens that people sell because they just sit in the cupboard - good way to pick up a good lens for 1000 bucks less than new.

I'm not sure if Hong Kong and Singapore sellers are stilll stupid cheap these days. Worth a look?

meatpimp posted:

My cheapo Canon 1DII just showed up. I checked the shutter actuations first... 613,000. Six hundred thousand loving pictures this thing has taken. That is amazing.

One of the companies I now do paid work for replace cameras for their full timers at 1 million actuations. I think my jaw hit the ground when their guy they had sent to Aust to supervise the job I was at told me that... I thought I had my cameras working hard at 1900 photos that day but nope he did 6000. The next day I decided to ramp it up and did 2000 per camera, which was still 1500 behind him. Still, four of us over three days.... 40,000 photos for a fairly small event. These guys do Ironman events so on the really big days, you got some cameras doing 5 digit shutter clicks.

(Sports event photography. It pays the bills and 500-600 bucks to be bored and take photos all day? As a casual weekend gig thats pretty decent. It also helps break into more lucrative days)

It *is* pay for play tho. The better the kit you show up with, the more they ask you back and the better the spots they put you on.

How much did you pay for the 1D and also what other 1D's do you know are for sale?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

quote:

Just on the FIRST lap, on ONE of the three bodys he's carrying he filled up a 128GB card on it. I go on a 3 week trip, take 100 photos and it takes me a month to actually process them. I cant even begin to think about how long it takes to process the amount of photos he takes at one event.

Obviously I was at Syndey Airport yesterday doing plane spotting but even then you can see exactly just how fast a modern DSLR can chew up cards - took 650 RAW images in something like 10 minutes shooting time total and I was out on a 16Gb card. With the 7D mk II those RAW files are 22-24mb each. A 1D X Mk II is up to 30mb so on a 128Gb card thats about 4200 image files. Also that 1D is a dual card camera so even more right there.

Beverly Cleavage posted:

I'm no pro photog, nor do I even touch editing in any meaningful way, but I would imagine that given enough time/expertise, someone could setup a template and do a set level of batch processing that does some decent cleanup and then filter out the ones that would need some work over the ones that are pure garbage.

edit: it's all about knowing the workflow and automating what you can to reduce time overhead.

Most of the good software for image processing have quite sophisticated job control language so you can run through thousands incredibly fast doing quite a number of post changes - Smarter Every Day just did a video where he wanted a bespoke editing PC and went to a company that builds and tests custom setups - one of the benchmarks they use is Lightroom with some quite impressive amount of scripting to handle 4000 RAW files in one run. Now (to me) what really is impressive is the recognition plugins - lets say for a running event where you have tens of thousands of competitors - you as the photographer are asked to shoot at certain settings with supplied cards, the millions of files are then run through the pugins and then sorted into each competitor based on either number they are wearing, clothing or facial regognition. And then loaded up to site for sale in 48 hours. Fortunatly for them they usualy require to shoot in small (LOL I cant get an image smaller than 5mb on the 7D mk II) JPEG which speeds up the process. Still, they need to upload, process, sort and publish 5Tb of images in 48 hours at a decent sized running festival. The job I last did was 40,000 images from 4 photograpers - 200Gb sent from Australia into THE CLOUD and away they go.

I noticed that the latest photos I did also now were being sorted by the competitors bikes as well. The hit / miss ratio is somewhere along the lines of 95%.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Charles posted:

If they don't have somebody already you should volunteer at the animal shelter to take photos of the animals. Good photos help their adoptability a lot.

I have done that in fact in the past :D

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Pro photogs at track days do that exact thing. The prices, however, are loving insane. $50 for everything of me in it is steep but doable. $120 for the same package, or $50 for a single loving image, is just gonna make me walk on by.

Might be for you but there's a lot of people who dont think of paying more - eg I was hired by a Porsche guy to just photo his cars. 600 bucks, I kept copyight. The Triathlon competitors esp if it's a destination race pay 300-400 for their set. Altho to be honest I tend to do motorsport stuff just for the love of it so thence most the time I dont charge esp rally. You want photos? Leave email address. Rally I do for the love of it, the rest is practice for the perfect rally shot.

It's kinda funny but also when you have the big cameras, no one even thinks to ask if you want to be paid in exposure anymore. My cameras were built tough and make great combat weapons let alone the wave of would be pros from 5-10 years ago have disappeared / moved on. You want pictures not taken from a iDevice? I dont give a gently caress about exposure and there isnt the kids who you can sponge off.

So anyway what does one do with expensive equipment?

Cat photos!

(handheld, 1/15 shutter, ISO 2000, darkish room)

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 4, 2018

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

QuarkMartial posted:

This, plus photochat has me wishing I'd pursued more with photography. Not as a job, but gotten more into it as a hobby. I have a decent enough camera (Nikon D40), but only one lense. I used to love taking photos and would do it all the time... but I don't any more. I really wish I'd gotten into CNC machining, for example.

Never too old to start - I was asking myself the same question a year ago. Do it as a hobby and who knows? For photgraphy it's probably gotten easier if anything.

Charles posted:

I was telling a younger guy I was amazed at how usable ISO 1600 shots were when I got my camera (2005), he seemed totally unimpressed. Guess I'm too old :D Getting usable shots at that sensitivity was super great for getting good pictures of shelter animals where you can't make them hold still in indoor lighting.

My old 20D was getting towards unusable at ISO3200 and you couldnt really handhold it at less than 1/40 and expect anything decent. The 7D is quite usuable until ISO12800 and you could do handheld 1/15. This 7D mk II is like... ISO 28000 or something loving ridulous and even then it's quite okay, it hasnt really gotten unusably grainy and I havent yet tried below 1/15 but I'm sure it'll work.

MOAR CATTE PICTURES

Okay dats enough cat pics from me for one day.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Patte dat catte

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Charles posted:

(using aforementioned 13 year old camera)

A Good Dog

meatpimp posted:

Queue Archer meme: Do you want a ruined life? Because that's how you get a ruined life.

Reverse order response -- I paid $90 for a 1DII with a 6 month warranty. I'm coming at this from a completely different perspective from yours.

You're doing awesome pro-level sports work, which is demanding and can absolutely use all of the features of a high-end, current camera. Nobody's going to need a 4'x6' print of what you're shooting, but you could print one up if you wanted. That resolution also gives you a shitload of flexibility to crop and edit in post.

HOWEVER, that does not reflect what I feel to be the other 95% of camera users, including myself. In the past 15 years there has been a multi-generational explosive evolution of camera tech, and some of the cast-offs are still very viable pieces. I started with buying a 5DII last year with 150k actuations on it for under $200. At that price, I have in my hands a full frame camera that shoots 21 megapixel images that will be every bit as good as a new camera. Strong statement, I'll stand by it.

The feel of a near-pro Canon in your hand is worlds beyond a Rebel or "x0"D. It's solid, it's fast, it feels more mechanically crafted.

Then, there's this 1DII. I was too cavalier when I bought it. I thought it was full frame, thinking that it was current the same time the 5D came out so it'd be full frame, but nope, it's a crop. That kinda changes my pans for it. Original thought was to go to Vegas with a full frame and a 50mm lens for under $150 to see what I could do. Now I think I'm going to go the ultimate insult and put a Sigma 28-90 on it and do the same thing. 50mm on a crop is just too narrow for me.

So, I'm going to shoot the balls off of the 1D and see what happens.

On the feel... well, a tired and beat 1D feels better than the 5D. It's like the difference between a 5D and the consumer models. The 1D is FAST in a way that is hard to quantify. It came to me with continuous high drive mode on and it takes four shots in the time it takes you to put your finger down and pull it up. It's truly impressive. And for $90... poo poo, everyone should have one.

90 bucks for ANY 1D is a loving score. Where on earth did you get it, I've been looking for a cheapish 1D to play with (and also to use in bad conditions like whiteout dust) - the best I can do is 550 for Mk III. Hell if anyone can help me get a cheap 1D from the USA I'll be happy to pay a spotters fee. I'd prefer a Mk IV or a X but honestly I'm fine with a Mk II and on. The only time I've used a 1D Mk II I got this ....

And lets face it, that STILL is the match for most cameras these days, despite it coming out over 10 years ago. And yes, the speed of a 1D has to be experienced.... as well as just handling a 1D. It just works in your hand. That's the reason why, despite most cameras going smaller, I much prefer the larger prosumer / pro xD cameras. Solid, fits so well in the hand. The 7D MkII really replicates that amazing feel of a 1D and of course it genuinely is built extremely tough and by most reports is BETTER weather sealed than a 1D of any kind.

Your 1D from memory is a 1.3x crop rather than a 1.6x crop of the more general crop sensors so it'll certainly be a lot closer to full frame than you might expect. Also thinking about speed....

These two (ESPECIALLY the top one) was a literal "oh poo poo I didnt see them coming" - the top one I had the camera pointed down at my feet and I just did a point / shoot blind... the camera managed to focus so bloody fast that I got a shot that was 100% fluke but you wouldnt know it. The 1D of your age isnt quite as stupid fast but it certainly blows away most anything else on the market today.

But but it's only 10 megapixels....! It's not the amount of pixels, it's the quality. Your average cameraphone has a shitton of megapixels these days. That means nothing when 10 year old DSLR can use L-Glass. A good lens makes an average camera good, a good camera amazing.

(Even with the way can I drive a camera hard and demand a lot from them, I still use a Samsung smart phone for walking about)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Anyone interested in a Automotive Photography thread, ie discussion on how tos / cameras etc?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

KakerMix posted:

New and more content = better all the time forever.

Have at it folks - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3873542

By NO means the be all and end all. Hopefully some of the others with experience also share their thougths and ideas. Also corrections / additions welcome

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Elmnt80 posted:

Some good, some bad, more good than bad if your politics tend toward the left. This was just another step on the path.

The Senate wasnt good for D but the rest of the board was very good.

Plus Beto, while he lost, put up a hell of a showing and showed himself to be the kind of person you want as a Presidential candidate. You got Gillam in Florida also stood up well. 2020 isnt just going to be the same Clinton shitshow - you have progressive and viable candidates that most certainly can beat Trump. Also it's quite clear the majority of the USA wants more of a centerish policy platform and the younger Dems are willing to run on that.

Yeah the evil cunts won the Senate but here's some hope for 2020 that there's someone the Dems can run that can beat the gently caress out of the Orange Turd.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

Show me on the doll where South Park touched you.

South Parks "EVERY SIDE IS BAD" was dumb the day it came out and it's far worse with actual Nazis walking the streets now.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Gingerbread House Music posted:

If you can't respect a fellow citizen's right to not vote, you should probably move somewhere it's mandatory and stop being a crybaby.

How's THAT for a hot take?

Voting is NOT mandatory even in Australia. What the law requires is for you to attend a polling booth and get your name marked off. You can draw dicks on the ballot paper if you want. You can vote for Lord Buckethead and then let your vote expire.

The difference between Australia and the shithole backwater that is most of the USA outside of the coast edges is not wether you have to vote or not. It is that Australia has a real Electoral Commission that ensures fair and free elections, that ensures enough places to vote in places where people are, that both parties are invested in to make sure neither gets an advantage, that also comes up with fair divisions that take no regard of voter split, just an even number of people as possible. It ensures votes are cast secretly, that votes are properly counted and scrutineered openly. Votes that get challenged are taken out and checked by an independant person. It ensures voter intimidation does not take place and if anyone tries suppression tactics they get jail or huge fines. And hence it's generally acknowledged that despite having paper ballots, Australian elections are usually the most open and most honest / fair elections possible. Now part of why that happened is due to mandatory voting but there is also a culture of everyone gets a chance to vote and anyone trying to deny that gets strung up these days.

We also have the attitude that if we're gonna vote then we're gonna make it somewhat worthwhile anyway. Hence election booths are at schools and community halls that usually have fetes on the same day so you can go buy old books or other junk arts and crafts, the kids can go bounce on a jumping castle, old Aunt Flo can sell her rasberry jam or of course the now famous DEMOCRACY SAUSAGE SIZZLE where the local Rotary Club or similar will sell you a sausage in a slice of bread with onions and sauce for a buck fiddy so you can eat while deciding which rear end in a top hat to vote for. And hell now they have mobile coffee vans so you get barrista made coffee.

Oh and in NSW, my voting registration is attached to my driving license, so not only am I automatically enrolled, it's moved to the right electorate automatically.

Until the US voting system is unfucked and made fair, there's no point in mandatory voting.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 8, 2018

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

What i said has nothing to do with the electoral system in the US. It's about personal liberty.

Your country actively stops people voting.

What I said had EVERYTHING to do with personal liberty.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Forcing someone to vote would be directly against your personal liberty.

And once again you missed my point or are being deliberatly obtuse.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Your country actively stops people voting.

quote:

Voting is NOT mandatory in Australia.

quote:

Pretend I quoted my long post about how Australia makes it easy for anyone to vote and even kinda cool

quote:

Pretend I inserted a bunch of stuff about voter suppression in the USA

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Living in the US and acting like there's a junta hunting down trans folk is just badbrains.

No words. I have no loving words to say that wont get me probated.

Fender Anarchist - I admire you for coming out like you have and I hope everything goes well. And I hope you stay safe from the people who ARE hunting down trans folks and making their lives worse.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Then just back up your argument otherwise with facts from reputable sources. If you can do that, i'll happily admit i was wrong and apologize.

It's called the Religious Right or have you missed the last two years in a frozen coma?

JFC this is not something that needs sources when you have the GOP rushing in anti Trans legislation and preachers yelling about them perverts from the pulpit. I loving HAVE FRIENDS WHO HAVE BEEN HUNTED AND HAD THE poo poo BASHED OUT OF THEM FOR BEING TRANS. And you have the temerity to post there ISNT a group in society who would be perfectly happy to see trans folk dead?

gently caress this, I'm out before I blow a fuse

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 8, 2018

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Uggh what am I doing awake and going to the office when the clock says 3am

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

I'm interviewing for a new father, if there are any applicants here let me know.

Well I'm probay not quite old enough even at approaching 50 but -

- I'm still stupid fit
- I have sane political opinions
- I may play an rear end in a top hat online but every single person who has met me in person thinks I'm actually quite well spoken and chill in person
- I have a spare room downstairs
- You like Subarus? Well.... yeah I got a few
- I have cats that like being patted

Queen Combat posted:

That expose was "leaked" by the white house as part of an attempt to calm people down before the elections. "Don't worry, he may be an idiot but he has no real power." <"person with no power" implements tariffs that cause the largest buyer of soybeans to drop their importation by 94%> Also...wrong thread?

HAHAHAHAHA wut?

Oh and in good news, the Canadian lady is now on her way to see me. In not so good news HOLY gently caress MY HOUSE IS STILL A GODDAMN MESS AHHHHHHHH gently caress PANIC

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Ive never understood the hype tbh

Thats because you got no taste

:D

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

64bit_Dophins posted:

The internal combustion engine was actually a gift from Satan

And Satan Himself designed the Audi I5 as you can hear the wails of the damned from it

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Alcoholic fluids yes, bodily fluids? What kinda clubs do yooooooooou go to? :pervert:

Well if you are wearing scrubs, probably Pulse Nightclub.

Too dark?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Queen Combat posted:

Doctor Who ep 7 finally redeemed the season.

Did they finally cancel it?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Queen Combat posted:

No. It was...good. Weird, huh?

"Good" and "Dr Who" is not something that should ever be put in the same sentance ever since I watched it well before almost everyone here was born. And it was still very much poo poo even in those ancient times - the difference being at least the stories were actually original and the special effects were new and looked half okay on a fuzzy 1960's black and white idiot box.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Well. The last couple of weeks have been gooooood. The Canadian loved Australia and she REALLY loved the WRC. She was hooked as soon as a Audi S1 howled into view

Another month and Im off to spend Christmas in Canada with her. Kinda sad shes going home but so drat happy she visited and loved it. Also loved my kitties

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

Tremec isn't posting because his house is on fire.

Tremec's house is a Jeep.....?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

My parents adopted a cat. Looks like I'm spending more time there.

Post pics

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I’ll allow it because let’s be honest, making an already gaudy Lambo even more gaudy is just playing the game.

Burn the fucker to the ground and acid bath the earth the ashes fell to

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Previa_fun posted:

Regular Cars guy is so very bad at driving on a track.

As a former rally / track instructor..... hes better than 95% of people.

Mostly because he actually IS listening and knows he is poo poo. Those are the people who are awesome to teach.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Previa_fun posted:

He seems to listen and want to learn, I agree, and yeah he is fairly honest about knowing he is poo poo but still does basic poo poo like look down and try to adjust HVAC controls and talk to passengers in the back seat and go on long winded stories about nothing while on track. I know part of that is his schtick but god his last batch of videos has been especially unfortunate.

Fun game: Watch the POV drives and pay attention to how many times he talks over or interrupts the car's owner.

He's vastly preferrable to say Demuro or say web publications with staff that are clueless about the poo poo they write about. I also prefer the POV's too - he's dropped the gimmick, he's taking poo poo with the owner and now and then you catch that hey, he's really enjoying what he's doing or he's genuinely excited.

Okay yeah RCR is a concentrated Reddit thread with all the memes and asshatery that suggests but in the end he's not pretending to be an expert or a great driver or even to be as deep into the nuts and bolts as us. I'm pretty happy to waste the time watching whatever waste of diskspace he's come up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

I'm full speed ahead back at the piano. Any piano players in here? Gimme some of your favorite classical piano music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN7EfjwkKMo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5I0vwcxLwA

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 29, 2018

• Locked thread