Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everdave
Nov 14, 2005
There was a sale and I picked up one of those USB powerbank/jumpstarters. It feels solid and of good quality. I still don't believe it until I see it work but I am going to try to jump the Majesta with it tonight or tomorrow (pouring down rain now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

spog posted:

May I suggest double-checking the instructions before using?

Mine said in really small print about how long you can crank for and how long you should leave it between unsucessful cranks before retrying (else you melt bits of it). Then quickly disconnecting it once the car starts

Yes good advice, I DID read the instructions (something I normally don't do) and they are pretty adamant of not leaving it connected more than 30 seconds

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
STR sounds like you need to get out while you can - or ride that crazy train til the crash it’s your choice!

Out of the past 35 days I’ve had the kids a minimum of 25 days (don’t know the exact amount at least that much). Not that it matters my kids come first but yeah the girls I had been seeing have left for greener pastures

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
December chat thread: I know a skunk guy

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Nice reminder my ex wife stole my Nikon and knowing it wasn’t worth the lawyers fees to demand it back. Sweet!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

get your kids to steal it back

Thought about it but love the kids too much. Out of the past 35 days or so I’ve had the kids 25-28 days (I don’t keep exact track). Not gonna stress my kids (I know that was a joke).

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I love nothing more than hot and spicy. If I could I would travel the world eating the spiciest and hottest things I could find.

Alas, my old body can not handle it anymore. I won't go into details.

Would it be ridiculous to send 14 some opened bottles of hot sauce (that are virtually full)? They are from my favorite pizza place and they are both fantastic. I hate to see them go to waste.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Big solo road trip starts tomorrow. Ending up in New Orleans this weekend. What can I not miss?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I might not be on the same team as everyone but I hope everyone voted no matter what. I had my voter registration card but they made me show my drivers license? I thought that was a whole hot button issue.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Hate to ask more questions but is it worth it to pay a lot more and stay near French Quarter / Bourbon Street or in the day and age of uber is it ok to stay by airport? We are talking about hundreds of dollars difference (New Orleans)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Just depends on how much time you want to waste traveling.

I have no idea I'd rather stumble drunk back to a hotel but lots of places seem to be like a max of 9 miles away that shouldnt take long in uber right? I know nothing about New Orleans

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Stay near Frenchman street if you can - it's way better than Bourbon and doesn't smell quite as strongly of piss. Lots of great live music.You can walk to Bourbon and check it out, but it wasn't really my scene. I'd spring for a place close personally - it's really nice to be able to walk/stumble back to your airbnb etc. if you need to take a break, use the restroom, whatever.

Also seriously don't miss the WWII museum in the business district/downtown, it's incredible.

Cool I will look. Not going to be there for 2 days.

If nothing else I think I’m going to blow 30k points on this “Eliza Jane” hotel unless I find a decent safe spot close for a good cash price.

Also thanks Rhyno

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Thanks STR if you happen to have a groupon link or see one let me know I’ll be there Friday

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Ballpark cost / difficulty throwing twin turbos on a 2jz?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

jamal posted:

Generally in the ballpark of 5-600, but that assumes you put everything together right and have a way to tune it. And $1300 of ebay garbage is going to cost a lot more to actually get to fit and work properly and then the turbo will probably explode on the first pull.

I trust your word but I had no idea it would approach that. Wow.

Any thoughts on timing belt and one giant turbo cost? This motor is supposed to take insane boost on stock internals right? I’m kinda ready to go full retard.

$5k allin with new tires too would kinda be my artificial limit

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

What vehicle is this in for starters?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

meatpimp posted:

And nomination for the worst picture in the history of internetdom goes to...

Bad pic I was just stoked the usb jumpstarter worked exactly as advertised. $30 and it’s 22 degrees here I’ve been out of town batt was dead

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Man, a really good buddy of mine has just let me down pretty badly. Like my feelings are actually hurt over this. I don't want to get into specifics but I am pretty bummed about what he's doing.

Well u gonna have to tell us after all the drama around you so what happened?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Queen Combat posted:

One day a Mazda 3 keyfob (narrowed down to a 2006-2009) with a flip out key, showed up in the middle of the floor in my apartment.

I've lived here since March and literally nobody has ever been in here but me. I know this, as I also have cameras and motion detectors that would notify me (and the AC controller would turn the fan on and send me a text if it detected motion).

Fully convinced it was just wedged in the recliner by a PO and fell out one day while kickin' it, otherwise I have a Spectral Math Teacher situation.

Did the recliner come with the apt? Man or ma’am that is insane I’d be freaked out!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

I'm having an idea that I think is a bad one, but I'm not sure. When my fiance left, it was so sudden and we didn't even talk about what was happening for 5 minutes. No joke, the music I was listening in my headphones (yes I took them out) before she gave my ring back and subsequently left had only gone forward by one song

I want to kind of confront her, get a chance to get some closure over this thing. I feel I deserve that much, at least

I feel like it's a bad idea because I don't want us to get back together and this might be a result of our actually sitting and talking, but I need to get some of this poo poo out of my head. It's keeping me up at night

The most powerful thing you can do Ian move on and let them think you dont give a poo poo.
A girl broke up with me in October and she is great and I have nothing bad to say but man I wish I had not sent a single text after even though it was nothing bad.

Just move on and take power and comfort in it nothing good will come from contacting her. I’m old and I know please don’t if you can but if you do I understand.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Tomarse posted:

1) Write everything down in a letter. Don’t hold back.

2) Burn the letter

Wrote a letter once maybe 2002-3? It actually worked and we got back together only to break up even worse shortly after. And then she got married on tv (not making this up)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This is the kind of thing that piques my curiosity.

TDF I’m so sorry for your situation. It takes a long time to get over a relationship. I had some that were progressing towards marriage but when they ended it sucked. Usually lost weight (and sleep) and generally didn’t know how to re-enter the dating world. Take time and work on yourself. Like someone else said make something with your hands, go get one of those bitching LEGO sets and a membership to a gym or something. (Im not very good at internet advice)

Would answer anything life gets strange sometimes

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

gently caress.

Not even 2 weeks old.

You special ordered this right? drat son I’m sorry I’d be sick

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I just got a renewal notice for the Prius that I had to give to my lazy bum of an ex-wife. This means it is still in my name and she is out I am sure often driving drunk in a car in my name registered to me. What the hell can I do? I signed the title over to her in July. This is a person who was told by the judge in December to get a job and of course she hasn’t.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

Strapping the title to a handy raccoon would be more effective at this point.

You joke but I still have raccoons, they are getting smarter I guess I have been thinning the herd of the less intelligent. Haven't caught one this week (they've been stealing the food from the traps)

Edit: she just picked up the youngest and I told her you have to get the title out of my name she is all like "oh yeah i forgot" so i don't expect much to happen. I have so much to deal with down at the County Clerk (how we register cars here). Majesta title STILL not here and need to register the LandCruiser today. Not looking forward to this.

everdave fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 16, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

My wife's company catered a lunch for the local industry professionals and because of the poo poo weather a bunch of people couldn't make it so my fridge is now full of Chipotle catering.

drat you lucky bastard

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
My friends kids shoved the power seat in an outback forward now the switch is not working and he asked me to ask the masses. Can you manually any way adjust? He can not do anything more technical than using a screwdriver

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You could probably drive the motor backwards with a power drill. Hopefully it's just the switch and nothing else went bad or sheared. Does it make any noise when the switch is pushed at all?

He said it sounds like it clicks. We are at a bar. He has 3 kids and I have 2 and we both blowing off some steam. I’ll begrudgingly fix it for him if I know what to do this weekend

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

So the switch probably works, but the motor is stuck or has sheared a gear off or something. Did the kids use the switch to move it or did they just reef on it like apes?

They pushed it from the back seat his kids are wild

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
It is not expensive to run cables through the walls. My TVs all “float” and people are impressed. Did it while handling other stuff.

I wore a sweater from high school to the bar tonight and I had multiple guys and girls tell me how much they liked it/how I looked. I am straight but I value a gay dudes compliment over anything. What the hell its a green sweater? I mean people were coming up to tell me. It’s an Abercrombie “muscle fit” sweater from 1995

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

spog posted:

Were you wearing anything else or were you naked from the waist down?

Lol no

STR get the fucknout their will always be a reason not to.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I posted in the IYG thread but who here is invested in a smart home ecosystem? We're kind of split evenly here as far as Google and Amazon devices go with no real preference going forward. The Amazon Ring security system seems to be a great deal with excellent reviews and it looks like it can be seamlessly integrated with their Blink cameras. Is anyone running that equipment?

I have the Arlo cameras and my buddy has them on his new $350k house. I can’t recommend enough. I have Amazon echo dot hooked to a speaker for music and it is awesome for playing Spotify. My friends love it. You can do things with Arlo and Alexa but I haven’t bothered setting it up.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

This is probably like asking what's the one true religion, but I need a corn bread recipe and my friends from the south insist you can't use sugar, and all the recipes I see online have sugar in them. Thoughts and/or recipes? My friend who makes very good corn bread but is from California uses sugar, but it tastes good so I may just use his recipe.

If you like it make it who cares? But in TN we use salt.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I will legitimately walk out of a tiny BBQ joint if there isn't a roll of paper towels available. I eat like a pig, yall know it, I know it. Let's not pretend.

Unpopular opinion: Alabama style white sauce is killer on certain kinds of smoked meat

I am TN through and through but man I like Kansas City style sauce, Memphis style, Carolina mustard / vinegar and even “shudder” Alabama white. I’ll take it all!

If y’all ever in Nashville you gotta try Martins bbq. He serves up different sauces if you ask including a white. Everything is fantastic.

And Chili for me too: I make it with beans I make without. Just give me Dat chili any way you like it (though chicken chili doesn’t seem to be for me, or at least I haven’t had a memorable one)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

QuarkMartial posted:

Birds, mainly, imo.

How the hell have I not even tried Martins yet? Bar-B-Cutie is another one that has various sauces on the table, but I don't know how I feel about their BBQ. I can't think of the last time I've had really great bbq here that I didn't make myself. I follow a few local guys on IG and I need to get plates from them, but I never can seem to get around to it.

Definitely try it, I had him cater my wedding (this was before he had his BBQ empire). You will probably have to ask for other sauces but if you do they will know you are there for the food and not to just be in a hot spot. On a weekend night skip the line of 100+ and just go sit at the rooftop bar and order (yes this is allowed but nobody knows)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Any Atlanta goons can weigh in on parking? Got Hyatt Regency booked for a show Friday and turns out parking is $40 f’ing bucks.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I installed Schlage keypads on front and back doors (but also bought ones that had a key backup in case they failed). Holy hell what a great upgrade for my small house. Love them and I got them about half off on an Amazon sale.

For the past year my left small toe has been painful and I didn’t know if it was a bunion or corn or tumor or what as I just have never had any foot issues. After googling and reading about bunion surgeries and all that I just decided to say gently caress it and I cut the hard bump/mass off. Instant relief by id say 90+ % and it didn’t even bleed. What the hell was it? It looked like just a hard white/yellow hard pimple or similar. I can’t believe I have lived with this for so many months.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

From what I've read the "paint + primer" covers well enough that many people are good with one coat. I expected to do two coats so we'll see. And I did note to get ceiling specific paint. Thankfully only a few rooms have odd colors, it's mostly light paint. I will make a point of getting good tools for the job. What about edgers? Do any of these paint-the-upper-walls-without-masking-the-ceiling tools actually work?

If you don’t spend at least an equal time taping as painting then you doing it wrong. I swear by Sherwin Williams and I have never primed and I can almost promise you I have painted more houses than you. Good tape, good paint, cheap brushes is how I roll. Some of those edgers have their place you gotta keep em light coat and clean.

Anyways I took the Landcruiser out tonight (spotlights were for pic I don’t drove around with em on)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I’m sure it didn’t get national attention but a man 2 days from retirement was killed in his new GTR by some bitch rear end punk throwing concrete off the bridge in Nashville. Haven’t caught anybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Ask me about having 3 college degrees which oops makes me unemployable in the town I live in (as a teacher) FML

• Locked thread