Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Welp, just checked healthcare.gov, fully expecting my options to be gutted, and...

The exact same plan I have now is still on there. Enrolled, but they want proof of 2018 income by January 31st. Uh, isn't that when 1099s are supposed to be in the mail by? I might get hosed there, especially since I'll have to file my taxes super early as proof (my deductions are what bring my income low enough to get a subsidy). Or maybe have Quickbooks spit out a P&L, but it won't match my 1040 (some of my income is via Paypal, which sometimes got spent via PayPal or via PayPal's business debit card, so I have to wait for actual tax forms to be totally accurate - Quickbooks will be probably a grand or so off).

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Your numbers are slightly off (LMP for ovulation window of mid-February would be late January, with subsequent due date around the sixth to ninth), but I applaud your attempt to gross out fellow posters.

So let's say someone was born in the 3rd week of August, but was supposedly 1-2 weeks late?

Where would that put me that kid?

Suburban Dad posted:

Pick up a used gen 1 volt. They are dirt loving cheap with low miles. If you can get over the million buttons and tankiness (you really feel how heavy it is) it's a great car that's massively over engineered. Once the gen 2s dip down (hopefully they depreciate well, too :v:) then I may jump on one.

It's a GM, of course it's going to depreciate like mad! :v:

* Source: grandpa owned multiple GM dealers

Olympic Mathlete posted:

"It's the day after Halloween, Lin."

So I went to the mall today before work..... (sorry for portrait photo)

2 weeks ago, HEB (the grocery chain that dominates central and south TX) already had their Christmas cards out.

Me? I still have Skelly (my plastic skeleton) riding in the passenger seat staring out the window. And he's gonna stay there until Thanksgiving. :colbert:

Darchangel posted:

I've only driven BMW once (nasty E30 convertible that I helped repo. I've never seen so many warning lights on at once.)

Hadn't driven an 80s or 90s Chrysler by then I take it?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

You put cocaine on your roof? :stare:

I mean.. that's the only kind of snow I'm used to seeing in TX (AND NO I DON'T TOUCH IT ANYMORE), so...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Going by totally-not-me's real birthday, then it was probably more like Veteran's Day. :v: Possibly even Thanksgiving, depending how late I not me really was.

Or, it was just a cold night in the desert. Either way....

e: actually, yeah, using that link, if not-me wasn't actually late like someone claims, it lines up with Thanksgiving perfectly. I'm never gonna be able to look at turkey the same way. Or stuffing...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hey guys, know how to really annoy a girlfriend when she knows you prefer guys?

Go pick up a friend from the airport. One that she knows you used to have a crush on (20 loving years ago). I don't think my phone has ever blown up that much over a couple of hours (our airport is in BFE, and I hung out at his place for about 20 minutes - haven't seen the dude in 5+ years!).

He has a 17 year old cat. Telling her I was stroking his 17 year old (CAT) probably added some napalm. Keep in mind he's straight and engaged (though he does have a very broken 1 owner bugeye WRX that barely drives, and his fiance has a non-running 90s Maxima she needs to unload...). They just bought a new car, I'm kinda tempted to see how much I can get one of the cars for. The WRX can't pass emissions here, but has registration good for 2 more years in FL. The Maxima has current tags, but won't stay running without a lot of throttle work. Tempted to pick up the Maxima so long as it hasn't jumped timing.

Irony: 20 years ago, we lived 15 minutes apart, in DFW. Today, in Austin, we live 15 minutes apart (a couple of miles further since it's half highway now, but still).

Siochain posted:

Something something dad's gravy... :P

gently caress. YOU.

..... I had chicken fried steak a few hours ago. It was good, until now.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I hope your family has a nice big banana cream pie for Thanksgiving.

I mean, not that I know exactly how big Dad's banana is, but I know how big mine is, and how pissed off he got (and how hard my stepmother laughed) when I handed him a box of "condoms for small cocks bananas" as a joke gift once (they were finger things). It'll have to be a very average sized pie.

slidebite posted:

In other news, new company truck came in. 2019 Silverado LD. I should be driving this for a couple years. Not entirely surprisingly, gets noticeably better fuel economy than the smaller Tacoma that it's replacing.

That's a fuckload nicer than I expected for an LD! I was expecting a stripper model.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Nov 3, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

1600 on my current camera (consumer grade multiple generation old camera - Nikon D5100) is like 200 on the camera I had 10 years ago. Handheld stage shots in a dark nightclub that come out clear? Yes please.

meatpimp posted:

My cheapo Canon 1DII just showed up. I checked the shutter actuations first... 613,000. Six hundred thousand loving pictures this thing has taken. That is amazing.

:stonkhat:

I think my old Nikon D1X bit the dust short of 200k (shutter came apart).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

In a recap of STR makes a mistake:

Last night: Picked up a friend from the airport. Someone got super jealous and was blowing up my phone every 30 seconds for nearly an hour. I should mention I haven't seen this friend in at least 5 years, and I've known him for over 20 years. She keeps accusing me of trying to gently caress him (he's engaged, and very straight - trust me, I tried barking up that tree when I was like 19 or 20, he ain't goin for the wood). I did let said friend know what's going on... he REALLY wants to troll her. He's already fairly, uh, "gay looking" to begin with (according to GF), and lived in Miami for 8 years - he can do a far better gay than I can.

Tonight: "Why didn't you log out early?" when one of the delivery companies I partner with kept sending me $$$$$. I made about $200 from that one company alone in 7 hours, not counting other gig economy warrior jobs I have. And I got a bitchy email from them about logging out early today (I've been logging out ~10-15 minutes before the end of my day to avoid last minute crap), which was deserved.

Got home tonight: She was asleep on the couch. She woke up at some point when I went to the bathroom, I heard a door slam. Walked into the bedroom (obviously after peeing and shaking the dew drops off), said hi, what's up with the door slamming? "YOU COMPLETELY IGNORED ME WHEN I ASKED FOR A KISS, THEN SLAMMED THE BATHROOM DOOR". Uh, wut, you were snoring on the couch. and I closed the door so softly that the cats didn't even wake up.

A bit later: "I really wanted to get intimate tonight" and grabs my crotch. My sex drive is inversely proportional to her bitchiness. I say not in the mood. She gets really bitchy and goes to bed.

2 nights ago: "You're no better than <ex boyfriend>" when I turned her down for sex (not only was I not in the mood, but I was dealing with the trailing end of a 2 day migraine from hell - and I'm still dealing with some pain). :fuckoff:

:shepicide:

Last night, once I did get home, she insisted on dragging me out to a bar. There's a good dive bar a mile away. We go to a cafe that I like instead, turns out no late night permit, so no alcohol service. We go to the dive bar. She hates it, I fall in love. Nothing but metal playing, rude as gently caress bartenders, and an obviously dedicated local crowd. She insisted sitting at a table, so the bartender screamed "what the gently caress do you want to drink?!" from behind the bar. I like this bar already. It's a neighborhood watering hole. She offers to pay for drinks. They wind up expensive since she wanted mixed cocktails, so I do a cash tip to ease the pain. When I cash out and bring her the card and receipt, she's pissed at how much it was (well, uh, you ordered 2 mixed drinks at a dive bar....).

Why do I feel like I'm suddenly everdave, except without kids? :sigh: (speaking of, she doesn't like me using condoms, and I know drat well my pull out game isn't that great, so it's been Russian Roulette).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Nov 4, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The worst part is she's started reading the forums, so it's only a matter of time until she sees.... this.

cakesmith handyman posted:

You ever sir there watching someone set their life on fire thinking they know exactly what they're doing so you just watch because they wouldn't do it publicly if they didn't want you to be at least entertained?

Why yes, I do follow Dave's thread. :v:

(sorry Dave)

tetrapyloctomy posted:

You are dipping an unwrapped dick in a vat of pure crazy, and it's going to make your life miserable if you don't quit while you're ahead.

That's one of many reasons we haven't had sex in awhile. Already miserable, been working 6 day work weeks (taking a day off when she's working) as an escape.

InitialDave posted:

STR, what the gently caress are you doing, man? Jesus Christ. Run away.

I'm on the lease (so therefore jointly responsible for the rent), and I don't want to deal with angry crazy while living here. Trying to stick it out until after the holidays, since we already have tickets to visit family.

MC Hawking posted:

STR put it in her butt instead.

Pretty sure the cops would get called over a scream that loud. :haw:

(seriously tho, my apt complex has been in the news this week over a really hosed up child abuse situation that happened in the next building, so people are paying a lot more attention to stuff like... screams)

Olympic Mathlete posted:

OK so he can put it in her butt but then he has to eat it out afterwards to make sure. Is that better?

I hate you so loving much right now. :barf:

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Someone doxx STR for the sole purpose of sending him some kind of pie every Thanksgiving, for the ultimate callback.

You know.... chocolate cream pie was my favorite pie. Until you came along, doc. :smithicide:

Ferremit posted:

So THATS how Donald trump was conceived!

:perfect:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Like i'd ever introduce a SO to you guys. :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

"The explosion could be heard as far away as New Jersey."

Aren't explosions and gunfire something you hear every minute or two in NJ? :v:

Don't chalk it up to fraud too quickly though (though this stuff happened in a pretty poor neighborhood.... multiple times... wound up with the entire neighborhood being put up in hotels for a few weeks, since both power and gas got shut off until a ton of gas mains got replaced over a ~3 week period). This is going on near me as well, though that's one of the wealthiest parts of Austin, and no deaths, so meh, hasn't made headlines.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Nov 5, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I just wanna sleep. :suicide:

GF is at work. Her cats are going loving apeshit. If I bring them out of the bedroom, they start destroying poo poo if I don't keep an eye on them (and keep a spray bottle handy). If I keep them in the bedroom, they literally jump on the door constantly and yowl for a few hours after she goes to work. Doesn't matter if I'm in the bedroom or not, one of them has severe separation anxiety. You'd expect this from kittens, but they're both 5. Both are very ill behaved in general. :sigh:

I may wind up sleeping in the bedroom closet. Upside is it's a walk-in, and has power in there, so I can plug in a phone (for white noise) + a nightlight. The 2 times I've had bad migraines since moving, I hibernate in the closet (without a nightlight or phone).

For fucks sake cats, I just want some sleep. It's my one day off for 2 weeks. I've been getting 3-4 hours of sleep a night for a couple of weeks.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 5, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

"My room" is the office, which is where my PC is. One of them loves the taste of copper (and AC power, apparently).

Also, my home theater receiver is in the living room, along with a nice 4k TV. The one that loves wires is bad enough that everything gets split-loom tubing. Fucker has already destroyed 2 sets of cables to my nice headphones (when new, ~$300ish Sennheisers; thankfully purchased used on SA-Mart for $50, but replacement cables are a pain to get), several phone charging cables, and one optical cable from the TV to the receiver (plus a couple of HDMI cables). That's just since I moved here. And leaving them out is an rear end kicking waiting to happen.

I generally love both dogs and cats. These cats need some steel-toed drop kicks though. The one that doesn't love wires has a love/hate with me; when he's in a good mood, he decides to become a neck scarf (sometimes with no warning, awesome when I'm wearing a rare band t-shirt :sigh:). The female cable chewer is generally really sweet, while the male is generally a dick toward me (loves everyone else, has slowly started liking me). Brother/sister.

I miss my cat. He's living with GF's boss at the moment. The sort-of-upside is I have a key to her place (since I'm still paying for all of his food, litter, etc, and scooping his box regularly), so when ti's time to cut loose, I can get him back easily.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

everdave posted:

I might not be on the same team as everyone but I hope everyone voted no matter what. I had my voter registration card but they made me show my drivers license? I thought that was a whole hot button issue.

I've been having to do that in TX for years. There's only a few forms of state issued ID they'll accept (and a few federal).

Student IDs don't count, even if state issued (i.e. state university). My state issued student ID was enough for me to pick up controlled medications when I was attending a university, and to get me on a plane, damnit.

It's very much a hot button issue, but TX isn't budging on it right now.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

e: nvm

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dropped $240 (w/shipping) at Rockauto today. New front quickstruts. Moog, which surprisingly wasn't the most expensive option (motherfucking Monroe was).

If I'd gone Gabriel I would have saved about $15/corner, and get a mail in rebate for a 1/2" impact wrench, but it'd be air powered, with unknown specs. If it was electric, maybe...

It's coming UPS, but going to my PO Box (my post office accepts packages from all carriers for me, so long as I switch up the addressing slightly for non-USPS stuff). They're gonna hate me when that heavy box comes in. I'm so used to Rockauto using Fedex that I had it sent there out of habit; UPS will actually leave poo poo at my door (unlike Fedex), so I really should have had it sent to the apartment. OTOH the shipping rate dropped by $5 or so since it's going to a commercial address.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Plus Beto, while he lost, put up a hell of a showing and showed himself to be the kind of person you want as a Presidential candidate. You got Gillam in Florida also stood up well. 2020 isnt just going to be the same Clinton shitshow - you have progressive and viable candidates that most certainly can beat Trump. Also it's quite clear the majority of the USA wants more of a centerish policy platform and the younger Dems are willing to run on that.

Beto won almost all of the big cities and a shitload of lesser populated areas (mostly along the border), which is a hell of a showing for someone that up until the midterms, was relatively unknown.

And he's from my home town, which makes me proud. sniff

Pretty shocked he became known nationwide though. Cruz is known because of his presidential bid and gnashing with Trump, but not for much else.

everdave posted:

Hate to ask more questions but is it worth it to pay a lot more and stay near French Quarter / Bourbon Street or in the day and age of uber is it ok to stay by airport? We are talking about hundreds of dollars difference (New Orleans)

Groupon man. You can find French Quarter and CBD rooms for <$100/night (some under $80 in the Quarter - you'll sleep much better in the CBD though). Hotel Tonight is good too, but often for 1 night at a time. Uber will likely eat up any savings.

If you stay in the CBD, you can easily walk to the quarter and forego all driving. Just remember not to walk out of the quarter with any open containers (can't go past Canal St... really a block before, but nobody will hassle you until you hit Canal). Even if you don't do Groupon, the La Quinta on Camp St probably has the most affordable rack rate in the CBD (parking is $25/day at the closest garage next to them though.. wound up having to park there when we stayed down the street :fuckoff: but you have in and out privileges and they seemed like one of the cheaper garages).

Uber surges like a motherfucker in the quarter too, so that 9 miles will be $rape$... and the streets are narrow + jammed with people in the heart of it, so it winds up being faster to just walk to at least Canal St or something to meet them.

everdave posted:

Cool I will look. Not going to be there for 2 days.

If nothing else I think I’m going to blow 30k points on this “Eliza Jane” hotel unless I find a decent safe spot close for a good cash price.

Also thanks Rhyno

You have to valet your car there, unless you find a parking garage and walk a bit.

I walked past it several times, the line just to get into the valets was horrible. Looked like a really nice place tho. Also, it's not too far from Cafe Du Monde. Their coffee (if you like chicory) and beignets are the perfect cure for a hangover, so long as you go during off peak times. Cash only and you pay when you order (the waitstaff go through a cafeteria-style line to get your order, and pay out of their pocket at the end of the line, just like a cafeteria customer.. crazy scene in there).

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Fender Anarchist - I admire you for coming out like you have and I hope everything goes well.

This. Congrats on coming out FA, it's one of the most difficult things I ever did.

... I did have to chuckle out loud at "caught a case of the genders". Today's been kicking me in the nuts all day, I needed a chuckle. (e: I should mention I chuckled because of the phrasing, if it wasn't obvious)

Queen Combat posted:

Yeah, let's let employers fire them, landlords evict them, and cities refuse to service them. That's all superficial, don'tcha know?"

This is still all legal in Texas, unless a city has passed laws specifically banning such practices. Only a handful have.

Which, of course, Texas tried to ban cities from doing so (IIRC got struck down by the supreme court? not entirely sure).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 8, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Queen Combat posted:

Yeah, places were already being lovely, like they had been (your Texas examples). But laws reflect the people, and the people are directly affected by institutional policy first. The cops get you because the gas station you were robbing called them first type of deal. People make the laws what they are.

Only semi related, but ever since I put a rainbow Beto sticker on my car, I've noticed a lot more, I guess the best way to say it is, cop activity once I get into the suburb I live in. I get tailed a lot more, and I got pulled over for the first time in a decade the other day.

Why? "You didn't signal long enough for that lane change". I give 3 full flashes before I start to change lanes, and 1-2 flashes after (I look like loving grandpa in that regard). I took it as a "you got my attention with that sticker, I'm gonna make sure everything is legal here for a bullshit reason since I have nothing better to do" stop. All my tags are current, all my lights work, my car is 100% legal, I just drive one of the only cars in town with peeling paint (probably one of the worst looking cars registered in town).

Probably doesn't help that I'm driving a beater in an upper middle class city, in one of the most conservative counties in TX (I'm in the Austin area, but the counties and suburbs surrounding it are redder than Satan's ballsack after being curb stomped with spiked heels).

Thankfully I only live less than a mile into this city. The rent difference between here and a mile down the road is astounding, though (several hundred a month just because the address is "Austin"). If I'm out of the house, I'm doing a hair under the speed limit into Austin for that ~1 mile and trying to recall every word my drivers' ed teacher told me some 25 years ago.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 8, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dat feeling when you're driving down a major road, see the F-350 in front of you literally jump, and see a deer carcass come flying out from under it. And your dumbass is following a bit too close to avoid it entirely (but it at least hit the ground first).

Had enough time to swerve enough so that it went under one side of the car. So much fur and blood. :barf:. Yet another crack in the front bumper, but that seems to be the only damage. Ran it through a carwash with an undercarriage wash, and it started raining pretty hard a bit later, I'm hoping that's enough to get the worst of it off of the underside. (oh who the gently caress am I kidding, I know there's plenty of gore awaiting for when it gets tossed on a lift like a ragdoll next week for an oil change and new front quickstruts)

everdave posted:

Thanks STR if you happen to have a groupon link or see one let me know I’ll be there Friday

Get the app, search for deals in the french quarter. :shrug:

meatpimp posted:

To add to what Geog said, manufacturers have done a really good job in rustproofing their vehicles over the last 25 years. Yeah, your suspension components and underbody are going to get lovely to a degree, but nothing like if you were 100 miles North.

This. I have a car that spent 4-5 years in MN, and the only real rust on it is the exhaust (which has been patched together in multiple places, with one section replaced). Suspension has some crunchy fasteners, but I haven't run across anything I couldn't tackle on it yet so long as I had an impact wrench and good sockets (hand tools haven't been able to cut a couple of things).

It's an econobox GM, so that bar is pretty drat low to begin with.

Queen Combat posted:

My dad is 64 and my mom not far behind :ohdear:

Actually, for the past five years or so I've been noticing a marked decrease in the quality of conversations, if that makes sense. I see the early underpinnings of speech patterns and broken trains of thought that I also see with elderly and/or psych patients in the hospital.

Same with my stepdad. He's aged noticeably faster (much faster) than my mother.

He's 2 years younger, but looks significantly older than his age. Granted, she looks young for her age (70 - could pass for 60 so long as you ignore the rabble rabble people under 50 shouldn't be allowed to vote rabble rabble crap), but his constantly loses his train of thought, and stands there with his eyes flicking back and forth saying "uhhhhh" when it happens. He's also gotten much more aggressive.

My dad (almost 72) looks about what you'd expect for someone who's smoked most of his life and was a heavy drinker for years, but he's fit and in excellent health.

Geoj posted:

Most recently? Apparently he was throwing a giant tantrum the other night because there was too much ice in the freezer.

Sounds like my stepdad. And my GF.

nm posted:

I'm so glad my entire family within the first set of cousins and aunt/uncles are progressive on all the social issues. Like other stuff, maybe we can disagree, but if you actively hate gay/trans/brown/etc people, I can't deal with you.
We got some folks beyond that level who aren't so understanding, so our whole family severed. That would be harder to do if they weren't like 2nd cousins.

My dad's side is awesome - my dad's the one self-described republican in the family, but I'd consider him more of a slightly right leaning centrist. Doesn't vote based on party, listens to NPR, refuses to discuss politics and religion in general, pro LGBT.

My mom's older brother is anti-LGBT, and even more conservative than she is. Her older sister (and said sister's husband) bleed blue. Mom is rabidly conservative.

Stepdad's family? East Texas ranchers from a tiny, tiny town, should say it all. I have a gay step-cousin who's all but been ousted from the family.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:glomp:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Edit: in unrelated news, the respiratory tech at work who was declared braindead after a motorcycle accident ... woke up, has started rehab, and will be going home soon.

Sometimes, you just don't have the required equipment to be "braindead".

:v:

(seriously though, good news)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Well, go outside, start clicking unlock until you see lights flash. :v:

Rhyno posted:

Original close date was the 21st, we wanted to push back to Dec 2nd so everything on the list could be done.

Not remotely related aside from house sale, but.... delivery story.

Parked in front of a house for a delivery, right at the mailbox. Noticed... uh.... wait, there's no pathway to the door near the mailbox, never seen that before. poo poo, the garage is on the main road (corner house), and the only path to the door goes from that. No sidewalk on the main road or the street the house is on. I don't feel like paying frogger.

Customer opened the front door and clearly understood what was going through my head... "dude, walk across the loving yard, I don't give a poo poo... we just sold the house, it's the new owner's problem next week!".

Had to laugh quite a bit at that, still tried to take long steps. I'm courteous enough to NEVER walk across someone's lawn unless that's the only way to get to their door. I consider it disrespectful (my stepdad is super loving anal about his lawn, to the point of using a ruler to measure how high the grass is and how high his lawnmower is [even though he hasn't even checked the oil on it in 5 years, much less ever changed it or sharpened the blade]).

cakesmith handyman posted:

God I haven't watched convoy since I was about 12. I can't imagine it'll be as good as I remember.

Powershift posted:

I cannot state enough, if you haven't watched Convoy(1978) in the last 10 years, you have to find a way to see it.

Cake, it's far better than you remember, at least if you have a passing understanding of US politics and racism (and it seems those in the UK and Aus have a far better understanding of what's going on here than 99.9% of Americans...)

You Am I posted:

*Resets the number on the "Number of days since the last Rhyno Drama" tally*

I thought that counter was just stuck at 0 these days?

The "Number of hours since STR's GF got pissed off at him" counter is counting backwards now, for anyone wondering. It's gonna tick a few hairs further back in a few minutes when I bomb the bathroom, since the pho she insisted we get yesterday hasn't agreed with me (I love pho, but I've destroyed 5 bathrooms so far in a little over 24 hours... 2 gas stations, 2 restaurants, and mine). Oh yeah, she ordered pho with tripe, and refuses to eat it (can't say I blame her there, but why order tripe if you won't eat it?).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Nov 11, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That... looks an awful like the boring as gently caress early 90s Toyota Corolla/Chevy(Geo) Prizm we got (only as a sedan), except with a weird hood and 2 doors.

I'm so confused, so is my boner!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh neat, UPS marked my Rockauto shipment delivered.

.... except it was going to my PO Box (some USPS post office locations accept UPS/Fedex/etc for a PO Box) since my apartment complex doesn't accept packages. The post office was closed today.

I'm wondering if they had a few key people working and actually did accept it, or if the UPS driver delivered it to the apartments next to the post office instead.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

I’ve been getting debt collection calls to my cell (I don’t answer, but Hiya app tells me that they are scam or debt collection). I don’t currently have any debt in arrears, so they can just gently caress right off. It’s either a mistake, or they’re trying to collect on someone I know, which it is, of course, illegal to call me about.

Ever since I got my Austin number, I was getting up to 15 calls a day, from the same exchange I have (sometimes my own #). Always "no sir, we not are telemarketing, we are simply asking to see if you are still having joint chronic pain, we calling from the US government" (sure "Glen", I believe that with your thick accent and extremely loud call center-sounding background!). Initially I was going off on them and telling them to stop calling.

When that didn't work, I picked up in a panicked voice and said "GRANDMA?! YOU'RE ALIVE?!??" "Hello sir are you still in chronic pain?" "I AM NOW, HOW DID YOU GET MY GRANDMA'S PHONE?! WHERE'S MY GRANDMA? GRANDMA, WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE AND WHY DO THEY HAVE YOUR PHONE NUMBER, I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD!!" <fake crying> Those calls stopped (for now).

The other chronic spammer I got was the typical car warranty scam. Initially "I don't have a car" (technically true, my car isn't in my name). Then pretending to be a little kid. Then "WHY ARE YOU HARASSING MY 10 YEAR OLD? loving STOP SEXUALLY HARASSING HIM YOU CREEP, HE'S TOLD ME ABOUT HOW YOU WANT TO TOUCH HIM". Then finally answering in Spanish. It took answering in Spanish to get them to stop. :wtc:

I kinda enjoy loving with the scammers. I'm not attached to this number at all (I can barely remember it); my old number is on Google Voice and forwards to it anyway, so it's not a big deal if I need to change it.

shy boy from chess club posted:

Ooohhh yea I did get one that left a message the other day that said my Windows registration had expired, lol. I should have called back to see what they were going to say but I haven't been that bored recently.

I always ask why they lookin in my winders at me? "No, your PC WINDOWS OF REGISTRATION IS EXPIRED!". Mah wut? "Your computer! YOUR COMPUTER WINDOWS" I ain't got one of those things, I don't trust em! WHY YA LOOKIN IN MY WINDERS? ARE YOU WHACKIN IT TO MY CHICKENS? OR MY SON?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ExplodingSims posted:

Ok, so has Google maps started putting advertising in their maps or has that always been there?
Like, lately I've noticed when it's giving directions it'll say stuff like "Turn right on to XYZ street after Wells Fargo on the Left" or "In 1000' turn left after McDonalds on the corner"
Has that always been there and I just never noticed? :psyduck:

It's been there at least a year, but mainly in major metro areas.

Easy way to get rid of it though. Top left (3 bars thing) -> settings ->Navigation Settings -> Voice Selection -> English (US). It dumbs it down to just "in <so many feet>, turn right".

You lose out on street names, but my phone holder is next to the cluster, so it's just a quick glance to see it.

QuarkMartial posted:

It's been in there for a while, but it's not always there for me. Bigger cities (OKC) seem to have it, but I've not noticed it really in Nashville. I really wish it'd just abbreviate the highways / interstates. There's a few where it's like "Take the exit for HWY 123 / HWY 23423 / Jimbob Interchange / Jones street.... Merge onto HWY 123 / HWY 23423 / Jimbob Interchange / Jones street. Turn left onto HWY 123 / HWY 23423 / Jimbob Interchange / Jones street" It's exhausting.

See above. It dumbs it down to just "at the fork, stay right", "in 500 feet, turn right", "make an illegal turn across 5 lanes of traffic", etc.

I use Google Maps 8 hours a day, even street names get annoying. Just tell me when to turn and which fork to take.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I'm a type one diabetic, generally hate sweets because of the association to that "feeling of doom" I get when I'm low, do muay thai three times a week and compete in powerlifting comps

And I will still fuckin destroy any and all chewy sour candy near me. I end up having to limit myself to buying it once every two months because my bloodsugar goes haywire for 12 hours or so.

Sup diabetic buddy? (type 2 here, but still). I know that low feeling all too well, and I've been away from sugar long enough that most sugary things just make me feel sick now (especially stuff with HFCS).

And yeah... chewy sour candy is my nemesis. And gingerbread anything. It takes my sugar a good 24 hours or so to fully recover, but I'm not using insulin (yet).

QuarkMartial posted:

I work with kids, and there's no surprise that I get sick every now and then. They all pick their drat noses. Thank God for hand sanititzer....

Don't act like you don't pick your nose when you think nobody's looking. :colbert:

Darchangel posted:

I haven't even finished Fallout 3 yet. Don't you try to push the new drug on me.

You'll be interested to know I delivered to Bethesda recently. :v: (well, their Austin office) Also delivered to EA several times now.

Fermented Tinal posted:

gently caress.

Not even 2 weeks old.

Well that loving sucks.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fermented Tinal posted:

21yo kid was going too fast for the icy conditions and my only options were to get hit from behind or enter the intersection and get t-boned.

You chose the option with the least legal consequence for you (by US standards).. and the highest likelihood of the car being repairable.

Honestly, looks like it took the hit really well. What was he driving, and how'd your back/neck fare?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

First off, I haven't flown in ages. Like over a decade. Flying to my hometown next weekend. I'm diabetic, and we're doing carry-on only. Any of you guys that travel often have to deal with the TSA vs typical testing supplies (specifically lancets)?

Second, what's really stuck with me at the moment... friend invited me and GF over for Thanksgiving dinner via text around 10pm. GF and I had discussed "what are we doing for Thanksgiving?" last week, and ultimately decided to revisit the topic once we both figured out our work schedules.

She's off, and I'm just on call for catering orders from 10am-1pm (if I do get any orders, it'll be between 11:00 - 12:30). So I tell friend "Thanks for the invite man, I'm definitely down. Is it okay if GF comes along?" (and add in it's okay to say no, he knows we're going through... issues). He says of course it's fine to bring her.

I get home, run it by her. She throws a hissyfit saying she made plans for us to go out for dinner. At a place where it's going to be $50 a head. Whoa, stop the loving bus. I normally get paid Thursdays, but won't get paid until either Friday or Monday because of the holiday. I just threw my entire bank account (including much of my very laughable savings) at the IRS (finally paying off my 2016 debt) and my student loans, I have juuuuust enough to get through until payday without leaning on my credit card, and that's if I live like a monk for the week. I couldn't even pay off my CC in full like I normally do (I did more than the minimum payment, but not by a whole lot). And I sure as gently caress don't have any clothes that fit for a fancypants place.

Her initial argument was "we're having Thanksgiving with your mom, then my mom, why do we need 3 Thanksgiving dinners" (uh... I thought we were having the second one with my dad?). Then I look at the Thanksgiving day menu for the place she told me we're going to. It's a typical Thanksgiving spread (ham or turkey, mashed taters, etc etc etc etc - big meal).

Would have been nice to be told I had plans made for me. :argh: I follow the text up with "Sorry man... looks like I had plans made for me, but I really appreciate the invite". And make sure to erase the text thread from my phone. He knows not to reply to texts like those; he'll follow up on FB Messenger later.

I can't wait for the end of our lease.

everdave, you up for a slightly crazy 40 year old <mediocre car reference>?

Suburban Dad posted:

Overclocked? I still use the same processor @ 4.3 (starting getting some BSOD with it higher so I recently dropped it down for stability...getting a little long in the tooth) with a 1070 and it rocks for most everything.

Up until lightning took out the motherboard (nothing else except for 1 port on my router was damaged :confused: - the PC was still running afterwards, but bitching about the network adapter not responding.. tried rebooting and that was it, no signs of life, my only guess is it came in via the coax and the cable modem somehow survived), my i5-2500k had been at 4.4 since day one. Had to downgrade to a first gen i5 I had sitting around (though the 2500k lives on in my mother's PC running @ 4.1, highest her board will support).

A very kind goon sent me a motherboard and CPU with an i7-2600k a couple of months ago (ironically the same person I bought the first gen i5 + mobo from several years back :v:). I don't know if they want to be named (lest people start hounding them for free poo poo), but I cranked it up to 4.5 and it hasn't hiccuped once, aside from some weird fuckery with the hybrid BIOS that Asus used on this board. They said it'd never been overclocked; between this, the 16GB of RAM, massive CPU cooler, and Samsung SSD, this should be good for a really long time.

Also the longest I've ever had a power supply last. I bought this power supply as a "cheapie" (Corsair builder series CX500) to tide me over until I could get a better one when I built the 2500k, and.... well, never did get a better one. It even survived being bottom mounted with the case on carpet (thus, no airflow) for a few months until I happened to pop the case open and burned myself on the PSU. I think it's 7 years old now?

Suburban Dad posted:

$25 and a few hours later that thing could be pumping!

I assume the $25 is for something like this (same one I run), but a few hours? Once the HSF is installed, it should take 5 minutes. 10-15 if you have a finicky motherboard.

Adiabatic posted:

Is My Chemical Romance dude banking on some 35 year old guy being scared of him?

Gerard Way is far, far better looking than that creep.

I mean, I usually prefer younger dudes (I'm sure as gently caress not into 18 year olds though), but I'd totally bang Gerard.

(also if you still have babby's first piercing size piercings at 35, you need to go big or go home to mommy)

Darchangel posted:

Texas has a form that you sign and pay $5 or so to assert that you no longer own the vehicle. See if your state does something like that.

Ask NTTA how many fucks they give about that form sometime.

Go ahead. Ask them.

At least NOW, the worst they can do is block renewal of the registration and keep mailing pink letters. They used to be able to report to CRAs. Oh, I did find out they'll keep whatever funds are on a tolltag account when you close it if the account was ever tied to a car that currently has back tolls (lost $30 over that, but the car had a couple of hundred in back tolls owed.. and another $1100 in fees).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

slidebite posted:

My wife has a firm 4 day leftover rule for foods in the fridge. I'm closer to a week

My rule is also 4 days, having worked in food service forever.

GF insists almost everything is fine after up to a month, unless it has visible mold. :barf:

Fender Anarchist posted:

STR you need to :sever:, like, 2 months ago.

Send me the :10bux: x 50 to get out of my lease, then help me find a place that'll take me with a broken lease on record. :colbert: Just dumped another round of money into Negative Ions too, and I'm not working for a full week due to going out of town (also, this coming week absolutely SUCKS for food delivery anyway - I'm pulling 12 hour days for 3 days, doing catering on Thanksgiving, then off until I get back in town). Financially I can't get out for at least a couple of months.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Well, at the moment, I'm glad I'm a renter.

Walked past the laundry room and heard trickling water and splashing. The water heater is in there, on a shelf above the dryer. Thankfully it has a pan under it. Stuck my finger in the pan. Yup, there's hot water in it.

Tried to climb up on the washer to get to the shutoff for it. I couldn't budge it by hand. Called emergency maintenance, they had me look at the meter (right by the water heater) and verify it was turning (yes, very slowly, but yes). Asked which unit I'm in, he immediately said "oh, you have one of the original tanks. The water shutoff for your apt is behind the washer, you'll probably break the plastic handle off, just hulk on it with pliers to shut it off. I have several new water heaters on hand, I'll be by with a new one around 8-9am. Good job catching it before it did any damage". (and yeah, snapped off one of the ears on the plastic quarter-turn valve, but it's as off as it's going to get).

I haven't lived in an apartment that gave 2 shits in so long that I'm just flabbergasted, but this was the head of maintenance that called, and he's apparently been here for at least 8 years (he was here when GF originally moved to the property). Out of curiosity I looked up the mfg date on the tank... 2002. :stare: The place was built in late 2003. They got their money's worth. Also may explain why our electric bill was so high last month; it's not usually quiet enough in the apartment to hear something like that, and going by the amount of rust in the (plastic) drain pan, it's probably been dribbling for a bit.

I get the WHY of why they put it here, but goddamn, that's gotta be a bitch and a half to change out. They were just out here a few days ago to fix our dryer too (surprisingly, fixed instead of replaced - guy who was out here said these older GEs are dead simple to work on, and the newer replacements have been nightmares for them, so they're trying to keep the old dryers working as long as possible - replaced the drum bearing on it, I think)

QuarkMartial posted:

I've got a Canon Canoscan something or other that has lasted for like ten years. Two years ago our stupid minisplit ac leaked on it, but we dried it out and it's still going strong. Can even remove an insert from the lid and scan in film.

The combo Canon Pixma printer/scanner I used for years was found in a dumpster during dorm move out week in 2012. In pouring rain.

Let it dry for a week or so. Worked fine up until I moved to Austin (once I peeled the shipping seal off of the black cartridge :laffo:). Was still working fine, just gave it to a friend because GF had a better printer/scanner combo with wifi.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 19, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CornHolio posted:

Drove to Chicago yesterday to visit my dad in the hospital. Had to haul four other people so I (with permission of course) took dad's '13 SHO. Fine car but holy poo poo the electronics are hosed. Touchscreen would freeze for ten minutes at a time and the GPS stopped working for twenty in downtown Chicago, deciding I must be driving through Lake Michigan. And gently caress auto-brights, I disabled that poo poo as soon as I figured out how.

Decent car otherwise though, I'm sad to see it go.

I mean GPS failing when surrounded by high rises is incredibly common (the device needs a lock on at least 3 satellites, IIRC?), I ran into that all the loving time in Dallas with every phone I owned, but Google Maps would just sit there until it got enough of a signal again to figure out which way is up.

shy boy from chess club posted:

Haha man it sucks when GPS fails and you dont know where you are and really need it.Coming out of New Jersey somewhere I was trying to get to 87 then 287 to get back to CT. Mine thought I was driving on surface streets at some point where I had a choice of probably 5 connectors to choose from with dubious signage. My friend and I were laughing and took the best guess to find out maybe 5 minutes later when the GPS came around that it was the right one.

In Dallas, I-635 has a "TEXpress" section that's tolled.... and underground. It undercuts the highway by a bit. GPS still works down there (it's not completely covered), but on 635 Google Maps could never decide if I'm on the access road, the highway itself, or the TEXpress section.

635 in that area is 6 or 7 lanes, each way, with 2-3 lanes on the access road, and the TEXpress section is also 3 lanes each way.

:allears:

If only it was a bit cheaper (and could be here in time for my flight Friday), I'd buy that for myself.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm fully expecting to catch poo poo over my diabetic testing supplies, even though I've printed out the "TSA Notification Card: Individuals with Disabilities and Medical Conditions" card (which lets you fill in a condition and equipment you need to carry).

I mean... worst case, I chuck a box of cheap lancets in the garbage at security, but buying them OTC in a retail store is $$$$ compared to online (a box of decent fine point ones is a couple of bucks online, vs :10bux: for name brand or a few bucks for store brand medium point). And I'm finding conflicting info on if generic lancets can be carried (some websites say no, they have to have the same name as the meter manufacturer embossed into them).

Tossing those in the garbage isn't exactly a nice thing to do for the people who actually collect the garbage, either.

... obviously I haven't flown in loving years (probably a decade).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Edit: My mom made pickled beets and eggs the last time she came to visit. Jesus, I love these things. Is that a Western PA thing?

Not at all. Common as hell in TX.

(can't find the much larger overall photo of the display, but they had all sorts of eggs, veggies, etc, pickled there)

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Super. A charge for $6.20 from some place I don't recognize just went through ("ISLXCAM CYX in UPPER FAIRMOU US" per the text alert). So there's decidedly a non-zero chance that two loving days before Thanksgiving I'll have to cancel the card. I have the number memorized and everything, and I'll gave to hunt down everything that uses it for recurring charges.

Your bank can probably tell you about any recurring charges. Mine sent a list with my new card when they thought it was compromised (Wells Fargo and Rockauto don't seem to get along for me, every time I try to make an order, charge goes through, Rockauto says nope, then a few days later a new card shows up in the mail).

slothrop posted:

I've been to the States. I have purchased many things from a CVS. None of them were wagyu strip steak. In my head, you have bought highland cow hair dye.

It's probably beef jerky or something like a Slim Jim.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I definitely have some attachment to the foods I grew up with, but it is just so very awesome to live in a metropolitan area with so many different cultures and foods.

The kinds of foods I grew up with are also the kinds of foods that lead to someone like me meeting someone like you in an emergency setting - such as a heart attack.

Lots of lard-based Mexican food, chicken fried steak, macaroni and cheese, pounds of butter on every-loving-thing. I don't miss most of it.

Bit overdue for trimming the bushes, eh? :flaccid:

everdave posted:

Any Atlanta goons can weigh in on parking? Got Hyatt Regency booked for a show Friday and turns out parking is $40 f’ing bucks.

Welcome to downtown hotels in every major city. Even the loving LA QUINTA in downtown Austin charges $20 a night (and it's valet-only, so add a tip on top of that... unless you drive stick according to a friend who stayed there, the valet working didn't know how to drive manual). They're also doing construction on their garage right now, so they have roughly 2/3 of a space per room (per the night clerk that I usually BS with when I deliver there). No big deal most of the time, but when there's a big event (like ACL last month)... you're parking a long way away.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 21, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh god, yeah, forgot about bbq. My bod is more El Paso, which is to say, definitely overweight (but significantly down from my peak).

Funny thing about that... I was 130ish when I moved to DFW. Peaked at 230ish. I'm 180 right now, dropped about 10 lbs since moving to Austin (healthy food options are a lot easier to find here).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

You have no idea how badly I want the PC version. The headset cost is what's so offputting; I have a PC that can run it, so that's no big deal.

GF has a PS4, but I don't, so the overall cost to get a VR headset would be about the same for me (vs buying a PS4 + the PSVR set). Hell probably less.

e: this dude has it mastered.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 21, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I mean they're Kwikset keys, any idiot can bump a Kwikset lock anyway. :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's almost like people with similar backgrounds might congregate together. :ohdear:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 23, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno, I dig the house!

The W/D set concerns - they're super basic, common as dirt models. Nothing special, but super cheap to repair and keep running forever. They're both low end brands owned and built by Whirlpool, should be fully mechanical with parts that are probably shared with poo poo from machines from the 70s and 80s (i.e. parts available until the end of time).

You can get a keyed lock for that sliding door easily at any big box store (you replace the whole lock/latch assembly, but it's easy), but they basically use a mailbox key (i.e. even less secure than a $10 Kwikset lock). If you add an alarm to the house, make sure that door is set to "instant".

AND PUT NEW BATTERIES IN THOSE loving SMOKE ALARMS, FOR FUCKS SAKE. That chirping is driving me crazy. :fuckoff: (and track lighting is loving awesome... with modern fixtures :colbert:)

ExplodingSims posted:

As somebody who escaped from Florida, this idea seemed so bizarre to me too. But, as it turns out, incredibly dry air kinda sucks even worse than incredibly humid air.
Who knew? :shrug:

As someone who grew up in the desert, I hated the humid air when I moved to Dallas. Austin's climate isn't much different (just less storms and almost zero tornados).

Every time I go to my hometown to visit, all of my skin cracks, and I get nosebleeds nonstop. I can't stand the desert air anymore. :sigh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Nov 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

When you put in your car's specs into Advance Auto's website, and click the first result under "Gold - Ceramic" for brake pads.

.... and wind up with rear disc brake pads. My trim level, nor the one above it, was never sold with rear discs; only the Redline was. Mine's a base model (and entered as such). :fuckoff:

My fault for not looking closer at the listing, but goddamnit, that was a kick in the nuts. I didn't even bring jackstands (I'm back in Dallas at my parents for the weekend), so it's sitting on a jack with the wheel shoved under the control arm.

Discovered it's not the front brakes grinding while I was at it. They're worn, but not metal on metal (also tells me Rockauto didn't send me ceramic pads, or their supplier mislabeled them - no way in hell should I have blown almost all the way through ceramics in <30k when no-name ceramics made it over 50k on my old, nearly identical car - I also shouldn't have this insane level of brake dust). loving hell, means I get to dig into the rear brakes. They looked brand new in July, just hilariously out of adjustment at the time. At least I'll be able to figure out WTF happened to my parking brake (LR will lock on jackstands with the handle all the way up, RR has nothing with the handle yanked as high as it goes - car rolls easily on a slight hill and the parking brake does absolutely nothing if I yank it at even 5 mph).

gently caress this car.

Upside is Autozone had a Black Friday weekend special with a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 High Mileage and a STP Extended Life (10k miles*) filter for $25.99. Cheapest Mobil 1 oil change I've ever done. Should be valid through the end of today (there's a couple of other combo deals, but that seemed like the best value).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Nov 25, 2018

• Locked thread