Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Alright real fast, all you hip woke young dudes and dudettes.. who should I be following on twitter for CE/political poo poo? I’ve got popehat so far.

And what I’ll do is compile the twitter follow suggestions in the OP for easy one stop shopping.

Jacob Wohl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I think everyone decided in the last few years that assassinations were no longer something to care about.

Turkish dude kills Russian ambassador, Russians kill all kinds of people in the UK, Saudis kill people all over, etc.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Steezo posted:

Remember when Russia shot down a passenger airplane like it was Iran in the 70's and no one gave a poo poo?

Remember when they invaded and annexed a neighboring country?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

psydude posted:

Hey I'm not trying to get into a traffic pissing match here, but to go ~25 miles in DC rush hour can typically take 1.5-2 hours.

That's 5-10 miles in Boston.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

BigDave posted:

May as well call it "Operation Second Coming" or some other Evangelical apocalyptic bullshit.

Operation Final Judgement?

More like Operation Final Solution

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Fallom posted:

How is it that Georgia is ground zero for one of the most blatantly, openly corrupt GOP campaigns? The stories coming out of that state are absolutely insane.

Georgia is just Florida with less money, less Cubans and less liberals.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I think I'm just gonna go vote then go to work and ignore the news until Wednesday morning.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Jarmak posted:

I live in MA so on one hand I've never seen these lines you guys always talk about (wtf is wrong with your states) on the other hand the only thing motivating me to vote is so I don't have to say I didn't.

If it's not a democratic primary it's pretty much a formality in this state.

Except you let a Romney or Baker through and subject them onto the rest of the country.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

pkells posted:

MA always seems to have Republican governors. I think the only exception since the 80’s was Deval Patrick.

From what I remember of Romney when I still lived up there, he was pretty good. Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t the healthcare plan he instituted in MA the framework for what later became the ACA nationwide?

It was. And what the gently caress is the point of having a moderate republican gov in MA when they go onto the national scene and bend the loving knee to fascist policies of the national party structure? Better to smother in the crib imo.

Baker seems fine now until he's running for national office and doing the "well actually" when asked if we should shoot people for not going to church on Sunday in 2024.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Lotta regretful things being said itt

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Idgi

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

A Texas newlywed couple died in a helicopter crash while leaving their wedding yesterday.

Oh snap. Missed that story

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kim Davis, county clerk of "I don't file gay marriage certificate" fame just got voted out.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Republicans picked up seats in the Senate. Legislation still has to go through the House which the Dems now control, but they can push through appointments with less noise now.

This allows for some horse trading there now though right? ie, couple votes for a GOP friendly bill if they bounce a chud judge out of a nomination etc yeah?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Or Schumer trades away a bunch of judges for nothing again.

:smith:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

Remember Jon Ossoff and the GA-6 debacle?

Looks like Democrats just needed a woman to kick it over the finish line. 50.5 to 49.5.

https://twitter.com/UpshotNYT/status/1060245263351050241?s=19

That's awesome because Handel is a huge piece of poo poo

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Apparently there was a group of 50-60 Vegas shooting survivors having a get together there and then someone came by and shot it up

The House always wins

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The replies to this are great. Just doctors lol noping the whole thing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Press square to pay respects

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

quote:

So Abram rose, and clave the wood, and went,
And took the fire with him, and a knife.
And as they sojourned both of them together,
Isaac the first-born spake and said, My Father,
Behold the preparations, fire and iron,
But where the lamb for this burnt-offering?
Then Abram bound the youth with belts and straps,
and builded parapets and trenches there,
And stretchèd forth the knife to slay his son.
When lo! an angel called him out of heaven,
Saying, Lay not thy hand upon the lad,
Neither do anything to him. Behold,
A ram, caught in a thicket by its horns;
Offer the Ram of Pride instead of him.

But the old man would not so, but slew his son,
And half the seed of Europe, one by one.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hmm maybe downsize the military and military spending then...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I thought "Support our Troops" just meant 'don't protest our multiple bad idea foreign wars'. You wanted more than that?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

How many millions of French died in WWI?

This is just loving disgusting, ignorant, etc.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

If I posted what I wanted to do to Mitch McConnell I'd be banned for getting the secret service called on Lowtax again

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I was grudgingly a republican who sometimes voted Dem (couldn't vote for Bush in 04) until a coworker I had in Texas showed me the Texas state GOP platform webpage which spelled out very clearly that homosexuality was an abomination and that gays did not deserve any right to marriage or spousal benefits etc in 2006.

At this point I realized the party was turning into something truly disgusting and watching the "economic conservative" principles just get poo poo all over by GWB it was easy to walk away. I would have considered voting Republican again in the future after that for the right candidate but after what the party has kept doing and what it fully is now, there's no way I will ever vote for a GOP candidate again for the rest of my life. Anything less than a bullet is charity imo.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

Hey the Naples supervolcano is showing signs of a The Big One

http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/4/11/eaat9401

Naples was the worst city I've been to outside of the USA so good.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

If only it was in Naples, Florida...

whynotboth.gif

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Its not just about Pelosi, the democratic party needs a complete change over the next 2-6 years, and dipshit boomers that are OK with supporting gay rights but get really loving upset when affordable housing threatens their propery value currently control the democratic party and that has to change.

Don't forget my retirement stocks

:corsair:

That Works fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Nov 18, 2018

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Surgeons in the UK go by “Mr.”, physicians go by “Dr.”

...it’s an old thing dating back to when barbers did surgeries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewFg5wUvkGI

That Works fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 18, 2018

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

Are the troops stationed at the border even affecting any change of anything? Has it, reduced illegal crossings, or caused the fence to be erected more quickly? If they truly are stationed there and absolutely nothing is coming of it, that’s sad as hell.

Having soldiers deployed in lovely places for years with no change in outcome is unprecedented

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

One of the younger trimmers at work mentioned wanting to buy a bitcoin (like it was a physical thing he could stuff in his pocket) friday before last. It was still around $5800ish or whatever at the time. Last friday I asked him if he'd looked at the price recently, gotta a shrug in response. Asked again today, another shrug.

I think he bought some bitcoin after he mentioned it 10~ days ago. I gave him a good rundown on how it's just a modern tulip mania (no clue what that was) or like beanie babies in the 90s, the day he mentioned it. He was also of the belief that beanie babies were still valuable.

Goddamn, how it must be, to be 21 and gullible as gently caress.

Imagine it at 31 - 41 lmao

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

In the Robocop timeline Amazon becomes OCP

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

And not just a whole season, a VERY GOOD season.

The actress they got to play Bobbi is great but coming from the books where she's supposed to be 6 foot and built like a samoan rugby player.

The actress is a 5'11" Samoan

e: but yeah in the books Bobbie is also like a super Amazon knockout of a woman in addition to being ultra marine.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Die hard career centrist continues to slowly pull to the right like current bad dems.

Sadly it's just what Hillary is.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

"We’re not really thinking very far ahead...we’re just trying to make money." is pretty much Western Civilization.txt

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Worshiping Strong Trump Daddy is a religion now?

Cults are, yes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I haven't been to the Museum of the Confederacy in New Orleans since I was a teenager. At the time it seemed really awesome. There was a lot of old battleflags from both sides up in glass cases, old weapons, uniforms and personal effects etc. As a kid the thing that was most impressive were some of the Maine, Massachusetts and far northern state banners that got captured in battles way down in the south. It really hit home how far away these guys were often going to fight.

I kinda want to go back to see if it is some confederate apologism poo poo or not. I hope it isn't, it made a positive impression on me as a kid and put certain elements of the war into a perspective I would not have gotten otherwise.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I played rugby for 17 yrs. During one span in college I had at least 5 concussions in 2-3 yrs. Mostly just incidental knee to the side of the head type of things while contesting a ruck etc. poo poo just happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

To be somewhat fair, making a tailored virus, testing and purifying it, etc. Is an expensive process and the people doing it spent a lot of time getting it right. That's a lot of payroll alone to cover even if you just break even.