Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

HOLY poo poo HULU JUST ADDED THE ENTIRE RUN OF KING OF THE HILL

VAYA CON DIOS

November off to a good start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

Having just filled out an absentee ballot, I'd like to mention that having access to the internet is invaluable for deciding who to vote for for things like the school board. I never really cared about those sort of things before.

Yeah. The paper here had a good write-up on the local races (online), which was pretty helpful in figuring that poo poo out.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

He looks like every creepy right wing dude who lived in your hall freshman year.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Steezo posted:

Remember when Russia shot down a passenger airplane like it was Iran in the 70's and no one gave a poo poo?

Or Russia in the 80s?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Internet VFW was probably a more accurate description at this point.

Which reminds me, can Mr. Nice get us Internet VFW trucker hats with NDSMs on them?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

How can they arrest people in Mexico.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

I'm looking at approximately 500-600k for a townhouse in an area that is metro accessible. The good news I guess is that the metro expansion that is coming in 2022 goes through a huge swath of underdeveloped areas so there will be...exactly the same that exists now except further out, as stuff that exists here and now closer to DC will be priced twice as high.

I bought my house in Columbia for $335k in 2015 and my neighbor's house with the same floorplan just sold for $425.

At this point I'm not sure I could afford to buy another house in the same area.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Amazon is in advanced talks to open HQ2 in Northern Virginia (specifically Crystal City)

Sorry, Vas.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Waroduce posted:

I run A team of software developers out of Atlanta who are all sitting on at least 2 properties waiting to cash in when Amazon moves in and I bet stand up is going to consist of them bitching real hard Monday

I'm up in central MD, but I'm guessing the housing price insanity will ripple outwards as people get pushed out of the beltway. If this is the case, I guess I'll rent my house out after I move away and collect some of that sweet, sweet real estate bubble money.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

If I plan to consume more than four beers or two drinks in approximately 6 hours of time I need to prepare like I'm going on the mother of all benders. Shitloads of water, vitamin B, asparin, the works. It's lame as hell.

I turned 29 recently and didn't drink for 4 days afterwards because apparently 6 drinks over 8 hours was too much for me to handle.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Coldwar timewarp posted:

Doesn’t having an HQ there make a lot of sense? Tons of defense companies do it for the same reason.

It's more that dropping an additional 50k workers and their families in the area is going to have hilarious results for the housing market and the healthcare, transportation, and education infrastructure of the surrounding counties.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BigDave posted:

NoVa is gonna start to resemble Mega City One from Judge Dredd.

With even worse urban planning.

I guess it's also important to mention that the reason it's a huge issue is that the DC area is already effectively at full employment, especially for tech jobs. Even if some contractors in Raptors with Gadsden license plates make the move to Amazon, there's still going to be a net demand.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

Tbh better than loving Toronto we can't afford higher housing prices or more traffic

loving 401 is the busiest highway in North America already.

Hey I'm not trying to get into a traffic pissing match here, but to go ~25 miles in DC rush hour can typically take 1.5-2 hours.

psydude fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 3, 2018

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

That Works posted:

That's 5-10 miles in Boston.

Oh I'm not even talking about DC itself. I'm talking about the commuting area around it.

e: I guess the moral of the story is that spending on infrastructure in major US metropolitan areas is so bad that what SHOULD be an economic gain in terms of tax base ends up becoming a burden.

psydude fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 3, 2018

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

American transportation infrastructure is dogshit from top to bottom like pretty much everywhere I've ever been. Is there any place it's not god awful?

NYC? They've been complaining about the metro recently, but it's roughly on par with your average European city in terms of service and access.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Eej posted:

The 401 stretches from Windsor to Quebec City and when it crosses through Toronto expands from 4 to 16 lanes because its the main corridor for all US-Canadian shipping on the East Coast so the scale is entirely different here.

But it's not even that bad to drive on outside of rush hour!

Only tangentially related, but I recently drove to NB for work after flying in to Bangor and it was the only time in traveling for work to over 25 different countries that I've ever been stopped and interrogated by immigration. They were very concerned that I was an illegal immigrant taking a job from a Canadian citizen or something. The irony wasn't lost on me.

To be fair this has never happened at the airport in Canada, just the border crossing in the middle of nowhere.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

There was a shooting yesterday in Tallahassee at a yoga studio, two women dead. Uneventful in the curren- oh gently caress, Incels again.

https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/1058803529681375233

Does anyone have that picture of the contemplative kid in cargo shorts wearing a fedora and sandals? Because this story merits that.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SquirrelyPSU posted:

You realize there are plenty of people that live in Adams and York Counties and commute to Baltimore/DC right

(Being dead serious BTW. Previous coworker had worked at Bechtel and drove to Hagerstown where they had a Vanpool that took then the rest of the way)

I've known some of these people. They were loving miserable and usually had health problems from sitting in their car for 4.5 hours each day. Like yeah I get that you can have a million acres and a sweet Texas sized house in Chambersburg for what you'd spend on 20 acres and a normal sized house in Frederick, but what's the point if you're never home/too fat to enjoy it?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

This might be the thing that pisses me off the most about the hateful cyberpunk future. I've bitched about it before I know that

Unfortunately, aside from call centers and other stuff, there isn't really a way to make service jobs WFH, so they'd just become automated out of existence.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

It's either Pence or some other evangelical political appointee. Mattis would call it something like Operation Fine, Whatever, Stop Calling Me.

I remember reading a while back that combat operations are supposed to be two randomly chosen words. Maybe they should start doing that for peacetime operations as well.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Thalantos posted:

Man, Operation Iraqi Freedom sure was lucky they drew those two words for it!

Nah, it was in relation to Odyssey Dawn. People were freaking out about the title implying that the US was going to get into another quagmire in Libya until the Pentagon pointed out it was randomly generated.

I guess in the end it still resulted in a quagmire, but the US only wound up losing Benjamin Ghazi.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

But at this point would you want the current Federal administration having control of every state's voting systems? At this point at least the liberal states are doing alright.

A better way would probably be to create a nonpartisan commission to replace the Secretary of State position in each state, rather than the current politically appointed/elected system.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

I've never flown in. I've heard it's a fantastic airport

Not right now. Like half of the terminals are under construction so it's a mess of exposed drop ceiling and construction materials.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Victor Vermis posted:

A few weeks back I listened to 3am Christian Radio for an hour in the car after my aux cable took a dump. For funsies.

The pitch boils down to this: Trump is a tremendous piece of poo poo and GOD made him president. So surely I (also a tremendous piece of poo poo) am also an instrument of GOD.

Weird how that only applies to tremendous pieces of poo poo who funnel money away from the middle rube class. Kindred spirits, I suppose.

"Trump sucks so much that divine intervention is the only explanation" is at least intellectually honest from an Evangelical point of view, I guess.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If Dems retake the house, I'll have a victory beer. If Dems retake the Senate, I'm breaking out the good scotch.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

my kinda ape posted:

I'm sure the plague of scam callers where you might get 5-10 calls per day from "card services" or "about your car warranty" probably cause a lot of people to not answer unknown numbers. And conservatives like my mom have been conditioned by the propaganda machine to think pollsters are fake news devils working against Republicans.

This. I never answer my phone unless it's from a number I recognize. Like hell I'm going to answer a random number when 90% of it is spam.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Meh it’s not like one vote makes a difference anyway.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/01/04/drawing-today-decide-virginia-state-house-race-majority-party/1002910001/

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

In some cases it may take several days for the results to be announced (and Georgia may go to a runoff for the governorship), but we should know by late Tuesday night/early Wednesday in the vast majority of races.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

pkells posted:

MA always seems to have Republican governors. I think the only exception since the 80’s was Deval Patrick.

From what I remember of Romney when I still lived up there, he was pretty good. Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t the healthcare plan he instituted in MA the framework for what later became the ACA nationwide?

Yeah essentially, although MA took a lot of its inspiration from the Swiss system, which is very similar. It was funny watching Obama and company routinely point out that the ACA Romney purported to be running against was literally of his own creation.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Comey is the green ranger of US politicians.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Pfft, I've been drinking for the past hour and a half here in Austria.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

I'm cracking open some good barrel aged stouts if tonight is good for us (IE Scott Walker loses and we at least take the House)

I think Scott Walker is my third least favorite elected official after Trump and Cruz (Cruz being number 1, because at least Trump occasionally has moments of hilarious self awareness). What person hoping to run the most powerful country on Earth brags about his lack of education.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Provisional ballots are only counted in the event of a recount or a runoff, so he's technically correct, but he's being a dick about it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A former CIA officer just defeated Dave Brat, a turbo crazy tea partier from outside Richmond who primaried Eric Cantor a few years ago.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Also, get hosed Kobach.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Rosen beat Heller in Nevada. Heller just conceded.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Democrats' control of the house is official.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Arc Light posted:

Committees within the House of Representatives, at least, will flip from the GOP, once they're no longer the majority party in the House. The new chairperson and majority of members in each committee will be democrats. If the dems actually follow through on their campaign promises, expect to see a whole bunch of Trump administration minions getting subpoenaed to suss out their various crimes. This will be particularly entertaining because republicans made the House Oversight Committee significantly more powerful when President Obama was still in office, to better hammer his administration.

Probably going to see subpoenas for Trump's tax returns, finally.

Not to mention the GOP congressional agenda is dead. No more budget reconciliation to pass through bullshit like tax cuts or slashing the ACA.

The downside is that they can still appoint all of the conservative justices they want until at least 2020 (when they're facing a much more competitive Senate landscape).

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Florida legalized felon votes, which means black people who did time for a gram of weed can vote again.

So the 2020 election may be a different story in Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The popular vote for the Senate is kind of arbitrary though because every state gets two senators. So Wyoming, which has a population of 580k people total, has the same number of senators as California, a state with a population almost 80 times that.

e: Washington DC has a bigger population than Wyoming and they don't even get a vote in Congress despite paying taxes.