Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Daniel Dale is good if you want to see a fact checker slowly lose his mind, like some kind of lovely novel written by Aaron Sorkin and HP Lovecraft.

Also Krang T. Nelson for funny accounts that are frequently political. He's the guy that somehow started the whole 'Antifa supersoldiers' meme.

edit: and Amy Feinberg, who is a real reporter that's funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is Jacob going to be the first person to post his way into prison?

Even better, he's going to livestream it. He's got his "press conference" at noon today (though what timezone I don't know) which has a non-zero chance of ending like that sovereign citizen in the courtroom video.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Get Charlie Brooker to stop writing Black Mirror so we can have some goddamn end-of-the-year wipes again. That'll cover the high level poo poo.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
King is almost assuredly going to win, despite having no money, no ads, and not really running a campaign at all.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Why does Russia need an actual large fighting force when they've infiltrated all levels of politics and can largely operate clandestine operations without fear of war?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

We had kids throwing rocks at us all the time. One dude had his nose broken from a slingshot rock. We told everyone, every time, before we went outside that if you ever, ever shoot at a kid we're all hosed because the locals will immediately (and rightly so) turn on us and we'll get mortared to hell and back. Nobody did.

It says a lot that we had to frame it as 'we will pay severely for it' vs. 'don't do this ever what the gently caress is wrong with you' but hey.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
psh

who hasn't committed a lil' accidental violation of international laws now and then

it builds character

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's everything extinction. We're killing everything.

We just haven't killed enough species for things to go horribly out of whack and actually impact western civilization.

Soon(tm)

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm on track to clear my credit card debt in a year, my student loans in four, and then I can start saving for a house.

I turn 34 in a week. Unless I get married to someone in my income bracket + we DINK it up, I won't be in a house with my name on it until I'm past 40. My rent and utilities are nearly twice what my mom pays for her townhouse mortgage and she lives a half hour away. I've largely given up on the idea of owning a house of my own. Unless my mom randomly kicks the bucket, then I'll just inherit everything, sell all the assets, and buy a house that isn't way the hell away from where I want to live.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm looking at approximately 500-600k for a townhouse in an area that is metro accessible. The good news I guess is that the metro expansion that is coming in 2022 goes through a huge swath of underdeveloped areas so there will be...exactly the same that exists now except further out, as stuff that exists here and now closer to DC will be priced twice as high.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

gently caress

rear end

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Burt posted:

Yep. It's also when you find that you can still drink and party like you did aged 20, it just that it takes 12 days to recover rather than 12 hours.

That's 30 for me.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If I plan to consume more than four beers or two drinks in approximately 6 hours of time I need to prepare like I'm going on the mother of all benders. Shitloads of water, vitamin B, asparin, the works. It's lame as hell.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's either Pence or some other evangelical political appointee. Mattis would call it something like Operation Fine, Whatever, Stop Calling Me.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Modern day combat operation names are always super patriotic and lame.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

BigDave posted:

May as well call it "Operation Second Coming" or some other Evangelical apocalyptic bullshit.

Operation Final Judgement?

They should call it what it is.

Operation Free Applebees
Operation Job Creator
Operation Holy poo poo, You're hosed Now, Habibi
Operation This Money Ain't Gonna Burn Itself
Operation LOL Single Payer
Operation I Don't Believe in Anything, I'm Just Here for the Violence
Operation Fourty Thousand for a Toilet Seat

etc.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

not caring here posted:

Operation No-bid Contract

Now now, we've moved on past no-bids. Now we just shape the contract so that only one company has any chances of meeting the RFP requirements and they just so happen to be the one to score the highest!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's similar level shenanigans going on in Kansas, because Kris Kobach is running.

Giving the states control over their voting systems was a mistake that needs to be corrected.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

But at this point would you want the current Federal administration having control of every state's voting systems? At this point at least the liberal states are doing alright.

It would take years for that sort of thing to be stood up. I shared the same floor as the Election Assistance Commission and they were hilariously hamstrung by congress dragging their feet on the simplest things, when they weren't at risk of being defunded to death on a regular basis.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
We'll find out in about 36 hours.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I have beer for tomorrow, breaking my self-imposed 'no drinking on a school night' rule.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I don't think it's possible for any sort of tomfoolery to prevent the house from flipping. I can 100% see suppression and other shenanigans preventing a seat flip here or there, or maybe even a whole state. But not everywhere. And if what's happened so far with early voting is even remotely true of tomorrow, there's nothing that can stop the wave.

edit: the Senate is a different story. I'm not expecting that to flip but it would be nice.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

facialimpediment posted:

Most prognosticators are putting the House D-gain in the neighborhood of 30-40 when they need 23. The polling data basically says that you shouldn't be shocked if the Democrats only get 19, or if they get like 50.

The reliability of the polling data is really tough, because it badly missed in Virginia (expected to be a toss-up, Democrat won by 6), but was just about right in Alabama (toss-up, Democrat won by 1.7) and Georgia (same, Republican by 4%). Could be a squeaker, could be a democratic fuckup, could be a blue tsunami. The squeaker/wave is more likely, but people are bad at probabilities.

Yeah it's incredibly hard to get accurate polling these days. NYT did a live tracker where they listed who they were calling (demographically speaking) and their success rate last week. They called 24k numbers and got 324 responses from 18-34s.

Like legit there has to be *something* new invented to accurately poll people otherwise in maybe a decade polls will just straight up go extinct, rather than just be increasingly inaccurate.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's really good having a number from before I moved. I have absolutely zero connections to anybody in CT that I don't already have in my phone, ergo any call from a 203/860 prefix is immediately a scam. Likewise any call from a Maryland or Virginia number is always something I should pick up.

Also get Robokiller. It's well worth the 12 dollars a year for the app.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Oh good, so only 25k new people rather than 50k.

I might be able to buy a house before I'm put in the grave after all.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It might also be some sort of legal quagmire involving title 10/title 32 shenanigans. Which of course is why you don't say 'hey go do this' in public until you know that can happen.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I just kinda glazed over the ballot and checked off 'YES' as soon as I saw the words 'should a tax be levied' or similar language. It's going to drive my uncle insane because he's at the edge of Fairfax County so my votes are going to cost him a penny shaving. Can't wait for Thanksgiving to tell him that yes, of course I voted for tax increases.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Jarmak posted:

I live in MA so on one hand I've never seen these lines you guys always talk about (wtf is wrong with your states)

it's voter suppression, op

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
there's absolutely zero chance you'll be able to bring weed across the border until it's federally legal

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

soon

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If the exit polls are insanely overwhelming they'll start calling races within 10-15 minutes of polls closing. Otherwise you have to wait anywhere from an hour to a day or longer depending on the state and the narrowness of the victory.

So you can expect madness to start in about an hour and a half.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
dems won't win the senate probably so it won't be an issue

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Ahahaha holy poo poo I went to school with the republican candidate for CT-03. I haven't talked to him in years but he was a really good guy. He's challenging Rosa DeLauro so his chances of winning are approximately 0.003% but still.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Well I mean he's a hispanic immigrant so chances are he's a nevertrumper. But I haven't spoken to him since 2013-ish so maybe things changed, I don't know. It was just jarring to glance over the tracker and be like '...wait a loving minute is that...' and yep.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
irrc Davis also lost her state pension

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Just lmao at watching live predictions. That poo poo is going to fluctuate like crazy when safe districts pop up.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I don't have enough alcohol to sustain this.

The senate isn't gonna flip, the house is, cruz is probably toast. Not an entirely awful outcome really.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

mods changed my name posted:

I thought taking senate was always like a beyond minuscule chance anyhow?

Yeah the senate actually flipping was always a longshot.

Right now it could be like 53-47 republican which if the house wasn't gonna flip hoooooo boy things could've gotten even worse.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Pelosi is an establishment politician from a time long past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
CT has a long standing history of electing the worst governors. Unless they find a way to reanimate Ella Grasso or something.