Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

dscruffy1 posted:

There's nothing that states "oh this just happens a week before the movie" but given how the events of the movie play it, it kinda checks out. There's frequent flashbacks to some traumatic event, Max has his car, you get to see more of Immortan Joe and company. As far as I know it's not really tied in at all aside from setting, but I still like to think of it as "one week earlier". Still a real good movie.

GO WATCH FURY ROAD ALREADY IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT

ACTUALLY GO WATCH IT AGAIN IF YOU HAVE IT'S STILL GOOD

Ah - wasn't sure if I just missed something in either the game or the movie that tied things together. I don't think they ever explain who the creepy dead girl in the movie is but I always assumed it was to be his kid or something coming back to haunt him (even though he originally had an infant son, not a pre-teen daughter). Miller has also gone on record saying the Mad Max movies have no real offical 'canon' or series of events, they were meant to be vignettes into Max's life. Which may also help explain why his car makes a return from time to time. That or he has a stash of unused police cars laying around somewhere. No idea how involved he is in the series any more though.

Had a chance to rewatch Fury Road a couple weeks ago when I was randomly flipping through channels. It's a good movie, a shame the sequel(s) are stuck in legal limbo now. Maybe we'll get a chance to watch them before our own apocalypse sets in though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The game feels like they had a beginning to its story (losing the car, building a new car) and an end to its story (losing Hope and Glory, killing bad guy) but no middle. You're meeting warlords that are really only there to provide exposition for the roadblocks and help you through them to the end. There needed to be something connecting leaving Chumbucket's ship and the big race at Gastown beyond a list of stuff to do, even if a lot of that stuff was good and fun. Griffa is something but you'll likely be done with him before even coming close to Gastown. Something else, like a growing disillusion of Max within Chumbucket, Hope or Stank Gum showing up, even just more weird dreams to show what was going on in Max's head. It's not like they didn't have space for it somewhere in between all those scrap piles :v:

Thanks for playing it though.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Good game, great LP, fuckin' kickass movie. I lucked out the first time I saw Fury Road, and got to do it an essentially entirely empty theatre, sat right right square in the middle of where their speakers are aimed. It was glorious, and got me super excited for this game to come out. Wasn't quite as awesome, but still a pretty fun ride.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
No wonder Joe wanted Max's scalp, we killed his only functioning son!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
One thing I like in the postgame is that occasionally people you're talking to will suddenly be Hope for a split-second and Max seems twitchier, just like he is at the start of Fury Road.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ShootaBoy posted:

Good game, great LP, fuckin' kickass movie. I lucked out the first time I saw Fury Road, and got to do it an essentially entirely empty theatre, sat right right square in the middle of where their speakers are aimed. It was glorious, and got me super excited for this game to come out. Wasn't quite as awesome, but still a pretty fun ride.

Same. I went into a weeknight session and it was the most glorious experience.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Thank you for this LP! The only Mad Max movie I've seen is Fury Road, first on a dinky airplane screen and then at home, mostly to show my husband, but also to watch it again myself. I can tell the game got to be kind of a slog, but (at least for us viewers) it looked and sounded great. I loved the cutscene mocap and the voice direction. (I like weird things in games.) I doubt I'd play it myself--it's not my kind of game to play--but I'm glad to have had the opportunity to see it. I'll keep an eye out for your next LP.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

RIP Chumbucket, you insane gearhead

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Poor Chumbucket, found the one guy crazier than he was and wound up going out historic. Well, OK, probably LESS historic than if it had actually finished out Scrotus with that ram, but still.

Still not sure if this one really works with Fury Road, but it does fit reasonably well. People Eater seemed more like an accountant than a warrior type, so I could buy him being suddenly ascended to lead Gas Town after Scrotus dying and being the logistics guy for Immortan Joe before that. Not recognizing Max could boil down to thinking he died in the fight with Scrotus (his vehicle and helper would be found junked there after all, and who would be able to identify Max's body?). I do think it would have to be longer than a week between the game and Fury Road though; Max would take a little more time soaking in crazy to hit where he was at the beginning of the movie and it wouldn't make much sense for Scrotus to be forgotten that fast. A month or two would probably do it I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
They call him the People Eater because he used to be a hedonistic banker. Literally eating people rather than just financially might have been a thing he did later on too.

I've started up a thread for what I'm doing next, Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884096