Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1058097633586241540

Alright here we go everybody lets do this lets get this going.

Im going to start a business where we charge bitcoins to walk on the street with our patented and unique bitcoin generating sneakers that the user does not get any cut of from their lives
it will also corner the market on wheels for mobility scooters requiring special five factor authorization to utilize

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
inviting someone into my house and charging a bitcoin like some kind of weird vampire ritual

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
finally i can charge the red light/speeding ticket mogul a fine on bitcoin for using my likeness in my court summons

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i'm the three middle aged white dudes

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Siljmonster posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1058097633586241540

Alright here we go everybody lets do this lets get this going.

Im going to start a business where we charge bitcoins to walk on the street with our patented and unique bitcoin generating sneakers that the user does not get any cut of from their lives
it will also corner the market on wheels for mobility scooters requiring special five factor authorization to utilize

quote:

"Ah, what a fine fellow!" exclaimed the Chief. "He has gained
much land!"

Pahom's servant came running up and tried to raise him, but he saw
that blood was flowing from his mouth. Pahom was dead!

The Bashkirs clicked their tongues to show their pity.

His servant picked up the spade and dug a grave long enough for
Pahom to lie in, and buried him in it. Six feet from his head to
his heels was all he needed.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

anyways probably great time to start a new city in the middle of the desert in the american west
https://twitter.com/WstrnPriorities/status/1052949475138756608

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

After his driver stopped the Polaris on a high desert plateau, a middle aged white man pointed to the highlights of his dream community. “You see that first range of mountains,” he said, pointing south. That’s where we’re going to build the e-gaming arena.

Why the bitledger? They think it could be a new way of taking power back from the institutions, who have too few middle aged white men calling the shots. Just as Bitcoin made it possible to transfer money without using a bank, blockchain believers like Mr. Berns think the technology will make it possible for other middle aged white men to be in charge. "We'll all be in charge," he said.

anyway this creep wants to mine butts in the middle of nowhere and also probably do some light human trafficking

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

my bitter bi rival posted:

anyways probably great time to start a new city in the middle of the desert in the american west
https://twitter.com/WstrnPriorities/status/1052949475138756608

big gov't failing us again :argh:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Still, Mr. Berns said his ambition was not to be a real estate magnate or even to get rich — or richer. He is promising to give away all decision-making power for the project and 90 percent of any dividends it generates to a corporate structure that will be held by him, exclusively, and that he will become a God. That structure, which he calls a “distributed collaborative entity,” is supposed to operate on a blockchain where everyone’s ownership rights and voting powers will be recorded in a digital wallet that he keeps in his back pocket.

Ethereum is what he believes makes his community more than just a giant real estate project. To understand why requires more than a bit of imagination. And faith. Every resident and employee will have what amounts to an Ethereum address, which they will use to vote on local measures and store their personal data.

HAIL eSATA-n fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 1, 2018

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Booo-erns

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

nice time to build a China-style desert ghost town

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
basically all the things you'll want after the pocky-clipse

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

You'd think they would try to develop downtown Vegas as a tech hub in earnest first

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Libertarian Bingo

The Cyberpunk spot is the free spot

Will everyone be free in the crypto-utopia? How much of a daily bitcoin stipend does it cost?

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Maximo Roboto posted:

You'd think they would try to develop downtown Vegas as a tech hub in earnest first

combine video games and gambling

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Maximo Roboto posted:

they did that with zappos and it just resulted in a couple ugly condo buildings north of fremont street

traffic is pretty bad in vegas which is why all the established companies aren't downtown

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
but what about the deathclaws and Cazadores? :thunk:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
:siren: related announcement coming from Google tomorrow :siren:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if you’re out of bitcoins until the next pay day you can take advantage of Nevada’s prostitution laws to sell your body for food / rent / permission to walk on the sidewalk

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
sorry the brothel's full

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gazpacho posted:

sorry the brothel's full

merry christmas

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Mr. Berns acknowledged that all this is way beyond what blockchains have actually accomplished. But that hasn’t discouraged him. “I don’t know why,” he said over the roar of the Polaris engine. “I just — something inside me tells me this is the answer, that if we can get enough people to trust the blockchain, we can begin to change all the systems we operate by.”

go to church lol

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
This is what happens when capitalism breaks a seam and squirts wealth all over a handful of people through no fault of their own. The cryptocurrency markets are pretty well patched up by now but you never know, really anyone could be the next bumbling idiot millionaire buying land in the desert. Turns out capitalism is somewhat dangerous.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Siljmonster posted:

inviting someone into my house and charging a bitcoin like some kind of weird vampire ritual

welcome to ferenginar! *points to deposit box at door*

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Gazpacho posted:

Mr. Berns acknowledged that all this is way beyond what blockchains have actually accomplished. But that hasn’t discouraged him. “I don’t know why,” he said over the roar of the Polaris engine. “I just — something inside me tells me this is the answer, that if we can get enough people to trust the blockchain, we can begin to change all the systems we operate by.”

go to church lol

any sufficiently optimistic futurism is indistinguishable from magical thinking

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
*wins the lottery* "finally I understand my purpose in life: playing the lottery"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
bitcoins and libertarianism are magical shortcut answers to the difficult challenges of human society.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Siljmonster posted:

you can't come into my house until i verify your hash

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i'm the three middle aged white dudes

look again

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

Oh god, what have I done? I'm either 98% excited and 2% overwhelmed or 2% excited and 98% overwhelmed. I recently purchased 100 acres of incredibly desertified nothing on the big expanse of Nevada. My intent is to build a home and retreat center over the coming years with a focus on blockchain, regeneration, and mining all kinds of badass altcoins. I want to get to a point where the land is almost completely sustainable in the way of food via soylent, juiceros, organic startups, etc.

The first year will mostly be exploration of the land by cutting trails, getting to know the land by observing and measuring its nuances in detail, self education, and planning. I may put up some temporary structures such as a yurt during this time. Year two should see the first permanent structures such as a home, solar powered mining rig, maybe micro hydro power, ponds, yoga studio, etc begin construction.

Nevada has seen a significant amount of highly invasive species take over. My desire is to return the land to as much of a natural habitat as possible. If I can do everything I want without cutting down a single native cactus, that would be badass. I have a LOT to learn about everything from native plants to permaculture to construction and god knows what else and am going to need a LOT of help.

Let's get to know the land, shall we?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

please no, i've had enough

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Maximo Roboto posted:

nice time to build a China-style desert ghost town

i believe the term is "potemcoin village"

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

please no, i've had enough

just thought it would be refreshing to see that one of them is clearly not white. anyway

can't wait to see the military intervene and shut it down when it quickly devolves into anarchy

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Good Sphere posted:

just thought it would be refreshing to see that one of them is clearly not white

ive been trying to think of a better 'turn your camera around' joke

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

lol at the employee shot at the office with two people in the blandest edgy break room

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

flakeloaf posted:

quote:

My intent is to build a home and retreat center over the coming years with a focus on blockchain, regeneration, and mining all kinds of badass altcoins. I want to get to a point where the land is almost completely sustainable in the way of food via soylent, juiceros, organic startups, etc.

no way

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3123495

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Gazpacho posted:

go to church lol

smithers, my ethereum wallet is in my right front pocket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Siljmonster posted:

please do not disparage ferengi culture

• Locked thread