Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Blows my mind that Tony abbott is said to actually care about aboriginal people. This is him trying to help :psyduck:

If we’re honest, most of us would accept that a bad envoy is a little bit like a bad father or a bad husband. Not withstanding all his or her faults, you find that he tends to do more good than harm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anidav posted:

Katter won't refer anyone to high court

Katter won't need to.

The last attempt was only defeated by one vote, and that was before the Wentworth by-election.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Just wait till Bob Katter doesn't turn up to parliament, which is like every day.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

https://www.buzzfeed.com/joshtaylor/home-affairs-didnt-give-peter-dutton-any-files-for-tony

quote:

Home Affairs Didn't Give Peter Dutton Any Files For His "Tony Burke" And "Chris Bowen" Folders

Dutton claimed in parliament that the documents were "confidential", but the department said it didn't provide anything for the files.

Two folders home affairs minister Peter Dutton claimed in parliament had "confidential" information on Labor MPs Tony Burke and Chris Bowen did not contain any files provided to the minister by his own department, a freedom of information request has revealed.

In early September Dutton was under pressure to disclose the full details over his decisions in 2015 to grant tourist visas to two women who had been refused by his department over concerns they were going to work as au pairs while in Australia.

Dutton, in response, walked in to Question Time with two large folders with "Tony Burke" and "Chris Bowen" written on them, seemingly suggesting he had files on the two MPs, related to visa approvals, when they were the minister for immigration in the previous Labor government.

Dutton took the folders to the dispatch box when he was asked a question by Labor's shadow immigration minister Shayne Neumann about the au pair affair, but when he was asked to table the folders by Bowen, Dutton claimed they had "confidential material" in them.

A freedom of information request published on the transparency website Right To Know shows that the Department of Home Affairs didn't provide any files for those folders to Dutton.

"The Ministerial Services Section of the department has searched the department’s
records, and has confirmed that the department did not provide any documents to the minister for home affairs for the specific purposes of inclusion in two folders, one marked 'Tony Burke' and the other marked 'Chris Bowen'," the department said in a response released on Thursday.

n September home affairs secretary Michael Pezzullo told a Senate committee that the department would not provide information to Dutton on decisions made by his predecessors.

"We would never brief a serving minister on decisions taken, papers rendered or notes provided to a previous minister under any circumstances, but the information that pertains to decisions made by this minister, as a minister of the Crown, he's entitled to," Pezzullo said.

A Senate committee investigating the au pairs ultimately reported that the public may never know the whole story behind the saga, but found Dutton's actions do not reflect community expectations on how the power to grant visas should be used.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Presumably falsely claiming confidentiality when asked to table documents constitutes misleading parliament and Peter Dutton will face serious conseqhahahaha

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
Do you think it's like a brain dead cop tactic? Like just go in with a folder full of blank pages and dick drawings and hope it intimidates?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Tasmantor posted:

Do you think it's like a brain dead cop tactic? Like just go in with a folder full of blank pages and dick drawings and hope it intimidates?

Definitely.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Tasmantor posted:

quenslan storng

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/1058195160767447041?s=19

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

They're about to spill the PM

edit: he got away

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

It is PC gone mad when you get in trouble for accurately describing the physical attributes of yellow people.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

They're about to spill the PM

edit: he got away

what happened

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Haha, wow

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I saw Ross Cameron trending on twitter and I was like oh god what has he said now.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
What point was he even trying to make?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Nigel Scullion gave Indigenous funding to his former fishing lobby group to fight land claims

The Indigenous affairs minister, Nigel Scullion, has used money earmarked for alleviating Indigenous disadvantage to fund a fishing industry lobby group he used to chair.

He approved a grant of $150,000 to the Northern Territory Seafood Council so it could argue how it would be negatively affected by land claims – claims he opposed during his time in the role.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ght-land-claims

motherfucker.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

snoremac posted:

For these kinds of people racism is more of an end all in itself.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/1058186869001744384

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

snoremac posted:

He was trying to do the fourteen words but thought it could just be any fourteen random slurs.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/liamvhogan/status/1058198484833120256
https://twitter.com/liamvhogan/status/1058200200014028800

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I read about an Aboriginal-built observatory. I figure if someone was watching the sun's movement closely enough they needed an observatory, they probably knew about the structure of the solar system too

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I went to China and saw lots of Chinese people and this is apparently something worth ending my career about

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
It is interesting to me that the paper is complaining that we are slipping in science scores but is also complaining at an attempt to fix that by making classes more relevant. Its not like you couldn't teach physics in the way I was taught using examples from indigenous culture anyway.

When I did physics heaps of the questions were about bullets and elevators and cars. What difference does it make if its applied to an area that the students feel is more culturally relevant

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Smegmatron posted:

He was trying to do the fourteen words but thought it could just be any fourteen random slurs.

We must secure the entertainment of our people and a themepark for white children.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Hang on, was he annoyed that Chinese people were at a theme park in China? Or that a popular theme park in one of the worlds most populous cities was crowded with tourists was noteworthy?

Coz basically he just said "Shanghai Disney is popular, and therefore crowded.", (which is not news), but chose the most racist possible way to say it.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

I know it's by design, but it still pisses me off that the most racist fuckwits in the LNP get the indigenous portfolios.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Burn Down Canberra posted:

What difference does it make if its applied to an area that the students feel is more culturally relevant

You know exactly what difference it makes: treating indigenous people with respect as actual people with a relevant culture.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

bell jar posted:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/joshtaylor/home-affairs-didnt-give-peter-dutton-any-files-for-tony

"The Ministerial Services Section of the department has searched the department’s 
records, and has confirmed that the department did not provide any documents to the minister for home affairs for the specific purposes of inclusion in two folders, one marked 'Tony Burke' and the other marked 'Chris Bowen'," the department said in a response released on Thursday. 

That seems a suspiciously precise statement.

Presumably Dutton didn't ask for papers to put in a particular folder, but for some other shenanigans.

This reads more like the bureaucracy being bureaucratic and wanting to not release something unless you use the right magic words, than the folders being filled with old telephone directories or whatever

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Hang on, was he annoyed that Chinese people were at a theme park in China? Or that a popular theme park in one of the worlds most populous cities was crowded with tourists was noteworthy?

Coz basically he just said "Shanghai Disney is popular, and therefore crowded.", (which is not news), but chose the most racist possible way to say it.
He was arguing that fearing the Chinese is bogus because they embrace Western civilization. It was a non-racist argument put very racistly.

edit: on second thought that is a racist argument, lol

snoremac fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 2, 2018

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

This Junkee post gives a bit more context, for those who were baffled:

https://junkee.com/sky-news-outsiders-racist/180366

As I expected, it’s along the lines of “The superiority of our culture is proven by these Extremely Orientals wanting to be white like Mickey Mouse!”

Though apparently he was in the middle of praising the Chinese for adopting so much Superior Western Culture, therefore the Chinese government is not to be feared but loved, etc. — something along those lines. So I wonder if, by laying on the slurs, he was (like Cartoon earlier) attempting to convey, “This is how SOME think about these people, but you SHOULDN’T.” Ya know? “You picture the Chinese as yellow demons, but I’m telling ya, they love Disney! So shame on YOU.” But obviously in a confused and ham-handed way.

But it’s possible I’m giving him too much credit. I have basically no idea who these people are. Anyway he’s clearly a racist fuckhead no matter how you slice it, so whatever.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

snoremac posted:

He was arguing that fearing the Chinese is bogus because they embrace Western civilization. It was a non-racist argument put very racistly.

Yeah, this is it. People are saying “Slurs!” and I believe his counter would be, “But they were ironic slurs in an argument AGAINST racism!” but his argument against racism was actually totally racist anyway, in a different way.

So, uh... layers and layers, huh.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

snoremac posted:

lmfao at the mental loving gymnastics here that turned a positive statement into that poo poo he said.

dirtgolem
Dec 22, 2011

Wounds are always fresh and so the scabs are never dry
Gutter is the place in which we choose to live our lives
Square inside a circle is the symbol in my eye
Home is where the gutter is and this is where I'll die
Getting my primary schooling in the 80's, Social Studies units were all about Aboriginal culture, Dream time mythology, how bullshit and brutal the white folk invasion was, field trips to learn bush living and survival and language. About 4 years worth and this was Geraldton WA, of all places. Don't they do that anymore? Or, is that news article just recycled umbrage bait?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Any of you fuckos got kids who have gone through the naplan practice test? Wanna know how my kids result compares to others

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

dirtgolem posted:

Getting my primary schooling in the 80's, Social Studies units were all about Aboriginal culture, Dream time mythology, how bullshit and brutal the white folk invasion was, field trips to learn bush living and survival and language. About 4 years worth and this was Geraldton WA, of all places. Don't they do that anymore? Or, is that news article just recycled umbrage bait?

I feel like Howard put a stop to all of that some time in his second term, but someone here should be able to quantify that.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

I'm sure there's a website somewhere that you can look their class up and find their names, birthdates and addresses

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

dirtgolem posted:

My Victorian public primary school in the early 90s we did this for as much of it as I can remember and it was great. For my siblings who went to school in the early 2000s they did nothing of the sort. It was the only time I didn't skip school and showed up early and I was so proud of it.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

tithin posted:

Any of you fuckos got kids who have gone through the naplan practice test? Wanna know how my kids result compares to others

Compare your household income to other people’s incomes.

Your kid’s NAPLAN results will track pretty much exactly the same.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Please ignore naplan as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/Rabe9/status/1058232901739851777