Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

bowmore posted:

The road out of Sydney

You won't find it, it's now buried under the wreckage glacier / rusting monument to Liberal government / light rail construction.

the ramen shop outside Kinokuniya bookstore near town hall is pretty good. They have excellent iced coffee or just booze to help get you through Sydney

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

AgentF posted:

Yeah a mate said I should go to the Lord Nelson brewery. What else is around the rocks?

Mostly touristy & pricey eateries and souvenirs. A few good pubs pretty close to the bridge.

If you feel like a stupid amount of walking you can start at the bridge / Rocks, do the MCA and follow the harbour west down past half barnagaroo, then darling harbour, there's a few good bookstores / record stores between there and Town Hall, then continue south through Chinatown and around UTS and Spice Alley you can check out White Rabbit Gallery (only open certain days though so check) which is contemporary chinese art, usually p good. That's like 3km or so. Then either go to Central to go wherever or keep walking through back streets Chippendale and Redfern to get to Newtown via Carriageworks which may also probably have some art going on. Most of this walk you will avoid a lot of lovely busy roads (more or less) and see bars, pubs lotta food and mishmash of architecture / landscape of all sorts. That's probably 6-8km all up.

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 6, 2018

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

JBP posted:

I went to the Dollop on Friday night and left extremely pissed off because they were advertising some stupid website they made where you could go and cry about climate change with other "frightened" people and talk about your kids crying or whatever. It sounded like a pointless and stupid thing, they gave their hope story for crying as the time Kavanaugh got made a supreme court justice (but it was great because a woman harassed someone in a lift!) and it was just loving pathetic. Go online a sook with other people until the world ends. Nice strategy.

e: also the story was extremely boring

Nice meltdown. I just listened to it and can't work out why you'd come out so :fuckoff: about it. Out of curiosity, what do you think the incoming ALP government is going to do* in response to that IPCC report giving us 10 years? I can't understand how you could contemplate both a *checks notes* government and Dave Anthony's speech and come out extremely pissed off with Dave Anthony's speech. How does that work?

Here's the speech:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4uXjHwuRZ0

and the page in question:
https://www.facebook.com/planitchange10/

Also the story of sex perverts dressed as ghosts stalking 19th century Victoria was funny...enough I guess?

*aside from blame the Greens.

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 9, 2018

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

JBP posted:

I'm sick of the solutions to things being "make an emotive plea and loving cry about it"

As if this facebook group were being proposed as the entire solution. Obviously 3500 people on a facebook group isn't going to solve climate change. On the other hand that IPCC report is already down the memory hole so maybe encouraging more people to focus on it isn't that bad an idea. No one is even posting yet on that facebook page, they should go read the SA climate change thread for people loving crying about it.

I get how it sounds lame and defeatist and maybe even exploitative for some LA artist mates of Dave Anthony to try and make a name or buck out of climate change fears. Right now western leadership is absent on this issue so there needs to be more activism, not less. How else do you recruit activists without getting the message out about the issue?

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

GotLag posted:

His family owned a couple of stores before the war, but he was on the Russian front so it's pretty likely he did his share of warcriming.

Calling bullshit. This is some Basil Fawlty logic.
It took 17 years from ‘45 until the first official Aldi store opened in ‘62. It makes sense that a discount supermarket would do well in postwar Germany. Where’s the evidence of Karls piles of Nazi gold?

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

GotLag posted:

I'm not the one saying he funded it with Nazi gold, genius

Just that he was probably a war criminal

Funny, I thought Australians didn't like to take a black armband view of history?

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

GotLag posted:

Black armbands are more of an SS thing, the Albrecht brothers were Wehrmacht

No I was referring to John Howard's use of the term "black armband view" when he advised Australians to ignore the massacres their country is founded on. You see my sarcastic imputation being that Germans, being notoriously incapable of examining their history, have much to learn from informed contributions such as yours, particularly coming from Australians who are notoriously diligent and open about their history.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It was actually Blainey, Howard was just quoting him. And the imputation was that we were too willing to look into our genocidal pasts and had to stop that. So uh, we did.

:godwinning:

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

They don't. They're imperialist Strasserite countries.

It's only Finland that keeps them from invading Poland.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

GotLag posted:

It's for classical liberals who would prefer suffering to be neither seen nor heard but other than that aren't really bothered by it.

Your posts cause suffering, could we neither see nor hear of them?

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

I get the feeling he'd happily be a goddamned liberal. Shorten counts ipa dickwads amongst his personal friends and advisors

And given the state of the LNP and Greens he's gonna Stephen Bradbury his way into office.

Do we get neo-Whitlam or faceless *checks notes* zingerman? Is there any evidence this will be a great reforming ALP government? Or is it shaping up as another Rudd style wet fart, only more IPA friendly?

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

/\/\/\...yep...

Anidav posted:

To be honest, he basically gets a blank cheque to govern. He can do whatever he likes and that is a good oppurtunity for any Labor Government.

Well, yeah... that seems a given now.

But what are the indicators? Like, support or drop support for Adani? Like, stare down the mining companies and transition to renewables, or nah? Bring back a carbon price as basically everyone including mining companies are asking for, or is the ALP still too spooked? Take the electoral opportunity to reform the media and break some of Murdochs power? Republic, yes or no? If so what method?

Given the stakes involved in these questions, it seems to me you'd need some bold leadership to bring the country with you. The electoral circumstances offer that opportunity but I'm not seeing that inclination yet in Shorten, nor in Albo for that matter. So far they're just happy to be here, like Stephen Bradbury. Is the incoming ALP government willing to crash through reform Whitlam style even if it means losing office a term early, or will it play safe and hang on to power for it's own sake?

I mean I'm being charitable about the ALP and their intentions and I'm still expecting a Bradbury government playing safe and giving the IPA a backrub. I'm expecting Labor shills to be explaining at length how this is really smart as it keeps the LNP out of office longer, as if that's the best we could hope for. Which, given those issues of fronting the mining companies and fronting Murdoch, isn't gonna cut it.

If that's the state of play then the LNP exists only to delay reforms in the interest of entrenched stakeholders and the ALP only exists to delay the next LNP government a bit longer.

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 18, 2018

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

AgentF posted:

This would be best but I've actually warmed to Checks Notes, and might even prefer him to Albo. Call me naive but I think he's playing the game now and will do at least some progressive things while in power. Probably not the next Whitlam but I think he'll be aware of the huge amount of political capital he will have and will act on it.

I hope you're right but...

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/we-will-not-wait-shorten-to-test-government-on-corruption-watchdog

Good content but the delivery...

:cmon:

The ALP and crossbench (including those rape crazed Greens :ssh:) teaming up to get federal ICAC on, this should be huge but Elliot Goblet could deliver those lines with more passion. You can literally see him *check notes* on the autocue.

Like this is really good news, gotta be stoked for Federal ICAC but Bill's gotta work on his form to camera. No wonder Scummo is stuffing his face with beer and pies on camera, he'll let farts rip on camera next just to play up how cardboard Bill looks by comparison.

Bill needs a mountain of political capital just to get started on what needs doing. Last time the ALP got rekt just trying on a mining tax. The miners and Murdoch will be out for blood from day one. Wanna see you win this Mr Bill but what's the matter with you, where is your soul!?

But, yes it's a good killer move to get that ICAC in for reals. They gotta put some fear into those arseholes.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Don Dongington posted:

But the alternative was to dumb herself down...

Look at the relative popularity of Sanders, who was not afraid to go on the attack, vs Hilary, who famously said "they go low, we go high" and lost an unlosable election ...
:nono:

Don Dongington posted:

Hilary, who famously said "they go low, we go high"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu_hCThhzWU
:hurr:

e: oh gently caress alright...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCsM3iklq8Q
she said it too, as a quote, afterwards... but not famously... :colbert:

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Nov 20, 2018

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

JBP posted:

This is after a bunch of poo poo about radical greens and the usual junk.

I didn't know you ghost-wrote for the HUN editorial.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

JBP posted:

Greens have good policy, the only thing radical about them is the lack of internal discipline.

Painfully fair comment.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Anidav posted:

They don't want to piss off the resources industry.

They edited the NEG to exclude coal but include Gas which means the resources lobby won't run ads about Bill Shorten killing country towns ect.

Then they will introduce a climate change policy on top of the NEG which is rumoured to be a ETS.

Basically it's a Frankenstein stitched together to get a emissions trading scheme on the table without pissing off the Gillard/Rudd slaying war machine.

That's how I understand it.

So they're hoping to divide and conquer. I don't think the "resources lobby" will just behave itself though. It's easy to imagine a coal lobby all on it's own running an anti ALP campaign even if the iron or gas sectors are placated. Surely after Rudd -> Gillard the ALP know what they're in for.

One thing about the killing country towns angle though - isn't there increasing automation in the pipeline for mining? Didn't I read that Adani itself is planned as highly automated? The ALP needs to get ahead of that game and save those towns from automation.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Don Dongington posted:

Nobody in industry or politics ever gave a gently caress about country towns. It's all smoke and mirrors for maintaining subsidies for mining companies and resisting further regulation etc.

The Adani mine is predicted to create about 1000 jobs. Over the lifetime of the entire mine. It's not statistically significant even on the state level, let alone nationally.

It's one of the PR pillars for the mining industry. It's the theme behind the "This is our story" campaign that rekt Rudd. The ALP can 100% expect more of this from the coal lobby because it worked before.

Here's country towns mixed with opportunity for indigenous.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHuV-zFDFjg

Here's country towns mixed with opportunity for women.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgnmwoY5m7Q

The people behind these campaigns are often born country. So there's that.
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/business-spectator/news-story/the-man-who-killed-rudds-mining-tax/851da8b4dc89dc8f1d34b236eba50737

And here's whatever the gently caress this is for everyone else.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CREUOpaVYJQ

Shorten seems to want a bob each way to keep playing the small target but I reckon without a bigger narrative / vision from the ALP they can get wedged on this. Plus, if they get into government and then surprise most of the electorate with a massive agenda they'll be rightly called out. They should start winning that argument now, before the election. Maybe, giving them benefit of the doubt, that is their plan and they'll start ramping up their position over the coming months. But, you know, hope is a lie.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

JBP posted:

What in the gently caress...

Why are you acting surprised? It's what the ALP agreed to. it's 100% the ALP not just allowing this to happen but subsidising it. You disingenuous fucker.

"Oh my heavens how ever did that happen?"

gently caress the ALP in their lying loving faces posted:

Headed by Cameron Milner, a former Queensland ALP state secretary, the lobbying firm Next Level had helped Adani get pretty much everything it wanted — through an extraordinarily intense campaign.

Adani began using Next Level to provide lobbying services in Queensland in February 2015.

Alongside Mr Milner, the firm features David Moore, formerly chief of staff to the LNP premier Campbell Newman.

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk was particularly willing to extend the welcome mat.

The Premier had 10 personal meetings with lobbyists all up. Six of those were with Adani's lobbyists.

The effort was especially intense earlier this year as Adani brokered concessions on mining royalty payments from the State Government.

On five consecutive days at the end of May, as the deal was being hammered out, Adani's lobbyists held meetings with Ms Palaszczuk's chief of staff, David Barbagallo — a notorious ALP hard man.

The fruits of the lobbying effort are there for all to see.

A deferment of mining royalties under a secret deal with the Queensland Government — worth big money to Adani — despite Labor's pledge at the 2015 election not to subsidise the Adani mine.

A declaration that the Adani project was "critical infrastructure" — a status never previously granted to a mining project — which exempts it from a raft of planning controls and potential legal objections.

Adani also used Next Level to lobby members of Federal Parliament on Adani's behalf, but how much contact Mr Milner and his staff had we do not know. The Commonwealth, unlike Queensland, does not require that lobbying contacts be logged on a register.

What is clear is that Mr Milner is familiar with the revolving door between politics and lobbying.

He spent 18 months as Bill Shorten's chief of staff — helping hone the strategy that nearly carried Labor to victory at the 2016 election — moving directly from his role as Adani's lobbyist to the Opposition Leader's office, then back again.

Large sample surveys by reputable pollsters suggest a majority of Australians oppose the project, and a vast majority believe it should not receive government subsidies, such as a proposed $1 billion loan from the Federal Government's Northern Australia Infrastructure Facility.

But in a world where big money and influence-peddling hold sway, that may not be enough to stop Adani.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

/\/\/\/\true...maybe it is just the latest in Adani horseshit.

JBP posted:

Chill out. I don't think Adani is good. The "little Aussie battler" line is the funniest part.

You might not but you're the ALP cheerleader around here. You have to expect some flak when this:

quote:

He spent 18 months as Bill Shorten's chief of staff — helping hone the strategy that nearly carried Labor to victory at the 2016 election — moving directly from his role as Adani's lobbyist to the Opposition Leader's office, then back again.

-is business as usual for the party you uncritically support.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Slugnoid posted:

I don't remember labor ever promising to stop the adani mine. but they did stop the public from paying for the adani mine

quote:

The fruits of the lobbying effort are there for all to see.

A deferment of mining royalties under a secret deal with the Queensland Government — worth big money to Adani — despite Labor's pledge at the 2015 election not to subsidise the Adani mine.

A declaration that the Adani project was "critical infrastructure" — a status never previously granted to a mining project — which exempts it from a raft of planning controls and potential legal objections.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

If that means it pisses you off you can tell Bill all about it here: 02 6277 4022.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Moon Atari posted:

...Suddenly the media will remember how to be critical and incredibly trivial details usually relegated to internal committee discussion will become primetime breaking news worthy of constant unflattering discussion. 'Motion of no confidence' is a phrase that will come back in fashion. Labor will manage two terms tops before the LNP are reelected by promising to honour every policy announcement labour has made but cheaper, without cuts and with less dysfunction. They then dump all those commitments before parliament even sits, without even needing to provide a justification and with zero consequence or scrutiny.

Despite having been defeated by this strategy before and having seen what the lnp can get away with labor will still consistently aim to do the decent but self-defeating thing like entering elections having released a comprehensive balanced budget that includes what will be cut rather than staying vague. They will not attempt media regulation for fear of turning the media against them, despite already being under extreme attack at all times anyway. Any meager positive accomplishment will be thanklessly recieved and quickly undone.

The media will give the ALP a little blowjob first, for half a term, just to be sure there'll be no regulation. Zingers for everyone, whatever. Starved of attention, the ALP will gratefully lap it up while continuing to constantly dabble at being corrupt shitlords. Then the media will pivot as you describe. The tease before the slap guarantees more Rudd tears from the once proud hard nosed political monsters.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

I agree, the ALP could erase what remains of the Greens by adopting their policies and staunchly implementing them. But lol.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

lightonthehill.txt

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

I realtalk agree though, the ALP could end the Greens this way.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Ack. Phone posting got me posting double...

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Howsitgoagain?

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

More like if Abbott was Basil Fawlty and Turnbull was Colonel Klink and Morrison is Ted Bulpitt we’re heading into Shorten as dug up John Clarke does Seinfeld.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

https://youtu.be/qs7qE2FQLxw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

JBP posted:

They've only arrested like 200 people in Paris over the fuel riots. Given how fat and lazy Australians are and that we've got no cultural memory of doing anything to oppose the government, I think we should just flat out tax any energy from fossils at double the current price and people will just eat the poo poo sandwich and get used to it while the money builds renewables lightning fast.

There’s a lot of political leverage available to the fossil fuel lobby with consumer level price signal policies. Hence french riots and axe the tax here.
Just leave consumers out of it and start by banning any new coal mines. The incentive is long term cost benefit of reduced global impact and subsequent financial damage to Australia.