Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Starborne- Another Free Space Multiplayer Game (in Alpha)

:siren: https://starborne.com/ The second server starts on 11/21/2018 :siren:

Note: This unity application game is in alpha still, and as such, there may be server outages and crashes. You get used to it. It's not a browser game but feels like Tribes or Ogame or whatever those other browser games were called.

Goon Discord: https://discord.gg/fHQu3MS. You have to auth for roles so type "!authme [sa forums username]" and follow the instructions.

Our alliance is called "Crashed to Desktop" - Join Discord before choosing a sector so we can tell you where to go. If you end up registering, put "Omniblivion" or "Eltragg" in the referral box- apparently you get a bonus if you were referred into the game, but I haven't tested it so we'll find out. The referral bonuses are pretty garbage so don't feel obligated.

What is Starborne?
Starborne is an MMORTS that looks like Stellaris and plays like Civ. You control a space station in a sector where you can construct buildings, ships and outposts on your way to stellar domination. The game is played in real time, but there are "rounds" that are 90 days long. The newest round just started on 10/30/18. Choose one of three specializations (offensive, defensive or space spies) and team up with your Alliance to take control of various objectives to earn victory points. The alliance/coalition that has the most victory points at the end of the 90 day window is the winner. Cool.

Is this game pay to win?

Despite the shop, the game is not pay to win. Do not waste your money buying packs. Even if you were to buy all the Platinum in the shop, you'd still hit a resource wall by day 2 or 3 and you can't buy stuff that gives you resources. Platinum is really only useful if you want a quick boost in the start; but it's already too late to jump to the top of the leader boards, so don't waste your money on platinum. If you really wanted to throw some cash away, you could buy the $5 starter pack and that should help towards a decent start.

This game is not an individual game- you are reliant on playing with an alliance to survive and win. This game functions exactly like Eve in this regard- an idiot in a titan is not in a titan very long.

Cards? What the hell?

Cards function as equipment or boosts on stations, fleets, etc. Some are permanent and can be swapped out, and others have a timer (minutes-days). Most cards are able to be crafted in the game using currency that can be earned in game (from breaking down cards, achievements, etc). You also find cards every time you do missions, which happens on a regular basis. Paying people can only buy a limited number of consumable cards that are only useful in the very beginning.

Will I like this game? What is the play style like?

The game "board" is based on hexes- each ship has a "hex per hour" speed attached to it. Every time you send a fleet of ships somewhere, it takes real time based on the hex/hr of the ship. Building build speed can be sped up using acceleration cards. You get those from achievements and there are a few available in the shop for $. The shop acceleration cards are really only worthwhile in the very beginning.

The beginning of the game - your first few days - will be rather busy as you have a bunch of quick buildings to build. After you get your base set up and fleets building, the game slows down and you only need to log in periodically. Being active does have advantages, though.

Here are a few spergy videos that some of the players/devs made that showcase the game:
Quick 1 hour guide: https://youtu.be/225vdecwgD0
A series of more in depth videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUg4zUMT0ld4-oV8yLaWi5exMcLjD51eP

Each orange dot is a player or npc station. This is one sector and there are like 16+ of them

If you're interested, here are some useful bits of information
-Multiple accounts are not allowed
-"Tasks" are basically achievements. Focus on completing them and READ THE TEXT in the task because it helps you learn how the game works. Tasks are your primary source of minerals and free stuff in the early game.
-When starting, first create one fleet of each ship type. You'll get free ships, yay. Then make four fleets - two with 5 corvettes, two with 5 patrol ships. Send all 4 of those fleets to the level 1 npc next to you as an "Attack". Then create a fleet of all your Industrials and send them to the NPC as a "Raid".
-Use your time cards early, but do not waste acceleration time. If your timer is below 5 minutes, just wait rather than using a 5 minute accelerator.
-For events, just go to Tasks -> Events and click the start button. You don't need to do anything else.
-Most buildings have achievements at levels 1/3/5/7/10. Keep that in mind when planning out mineral rewards.
-Influence is the score that gives you EXP per hour and allows you to upgrade your stations.
-The higher level the building, the more influence it gives per upgrade level. Therefore, if you're pushing for lots of Influence, building higher level buildings is better than a lot of lower level ones.
-Ask questions in discord, as there are quite a few mechanics that may not be readily apparent.

Hop in and come help us dominate the galaxy!

Omniblivion fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Pretty extensive guide to the game:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/508763373631176704/514635360823672835/Starborne_Guide.pdf

Omniblivion fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 21, 2018

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Ground floor of an experience I'm sure I won't regret.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
The game is alot of fun, plenty of range to play from complete poopsock to just check in a few times a day.

The alliance we have has a few players who were in previous alpha's, so there's alot of experienced people around who can show you the ropes, and the environment is very chill and relaxed.

Right now we're the big dogs in our local area, so you'll probably have a safe area to incubate and grow your space lands or whatever

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
absolutely do not play this game lmfao, it's the most pay to win sheltered game you could ever possibly play

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
I spent 10 minutes in game talking about how pay to win the game is- nothing offensive or rough at all and I was banned because "I'm another one of those trolls."

If pay to win games where community feedback is thrown out the window is what you're into, then by all means play this game.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

absolutely do not play this game lmfao, it's the most pay to win sheltered game you could ever possibly play

I spent $30 on this pay to win game and I'm literally ranked #1 on the server.

"I'm another one of those trolls."

pretty much sums it up

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Last alpha round it was potentially worse and most of the top players barely spent anything if anything. I was number 10-17 or so and I only bought the starter pack which wasn't even that big of a deal.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.

"I'm another one of those trolls."
:lol: So Goons and Starborne devs have reached a consensus then?

Game is fun and alphas only happen once a year :getin:

For a F2P game it's about as far from pay2win as you'll find, the advantages are pretty marginal. There are about half a dozen much worse p2w threads in Games so it's amusing to see someone get so upset over this.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I played this a year ago when it first launched and fired it up again on day 2 of this beta and honestly I got bored pretty quick. You have to invest a lot of effort to be competitive and I just don't have that kind of time anymore.

It's a cool idea but if I keep playing I would fully expect to get crushed a few weeks down the line.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez
Enjoying this time sink so far. Seems like it's really going to be a numbers game where you need an active group to make headway. Either that or you need to luck out and land in a sector that you mostly dominate. Either way, so far so good.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

it's basically a time gated mobile game where you can pay to progress much faster than anyone else, and once you're ahead you can pretty much stomp people behind you. oh did i mention the founders pack gives you free dreadnaughts on day 2?

just break the rules and get a billion alts like the good teams and i guess you don't need to pay to win, because you can just swarm them with 50000 corvettes

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007

it's basically a time gated mobile game where you can pay to progress much faster than anyone else, and once you're ahead you can pretty much stomp people behind you. oh did i mention the founders pack gives you free dreadnaughts on day 2?

just break the rules and get a billion alts like the good teams and i guess you don't need to pay to win, because you can just swarm them with 50000 corvettes

The founders pack gets you 5 dreadnaughts, which is basically nothing. Buying stuff gets you a marginal bump at most. The top players aren't using alts, since powering a single alt to the top of the leaderboards
is time consuming as gently caress.

Basically don't listen to this idiot, he's real mad about a game that he's never played.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Pinbacker posted:

Basically don't listen to this idiot, he's real mad about a game that he's never played.

i'm playing right now, have 20 alts making non stop corvettes and as soon as the 7 day timer is up some people are gonna cry really hard about getting swarmed by 50,000 corvettes

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i havent spent any money and im currently in the top 40 out of like 2700 people, games fun!

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I don't know if you know about this, but several of us were on the victory team last round (like, we actually literally officially won the game) and nobody at the top was significantly doing what you're talking about to try to win.

And you can buy even less power this time around.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

queeb posted:

i havent spent any money and im currently in the top 40 out of like 2700 people, games fun!

you think it's 2700 people, but 50% of them aren't past station 1, which means they're basically afk

and another quarter is alts

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Kylra posted:

I don't know if you know about this, but several of us were on the victory team last round (like, we actually literally officially won the game) and nobody at the top was significantly doing what you're talking about to try to win.

And you can buy even less power this time around.

yeah i mean as soon as a game like this gets a mainstream following honor rules wont stand up

EDIT: because i don't want to bump the thread because this game is genuinely garbage DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME. Every single top player is a developer or a p2w piggy. This game stinks of foul play everywhere you go.

1001 Arabian dicks fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 10, 2018

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

yeah i mean as soon as a game like this gets a mainstream following honor rules wont stand up
It wasn't about honor rules and more about it being exhausting to even play one account at the top end.

I'd be more worried about botting.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
Managing 16 stations is a huge pain in the rear end.. also 20 smaller fleets will get crushed by a single top player, due to the way the damage calculations are done.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Pinbacker posted:

Managing 16 stations is a huge pain in the rear end.. also 20 smaller fleets will get crushed by a single top player, due to the way the damage calculations are done.

They changed a lot since last alpha, including damage calculations and group warfare. There is a new policy tree including space spies which can destroy character cards on stations and specializes in sabotage and claim warfare (including being able to build stations within contested tiles).

This round is a lot tougher for an individual to fight off any type of coordinated attack.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
New server going up tomorrow and a PDF guide posted. We've got 20+ goons/widottes already on board, so come join space games with us.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

do not play this trash tier p2w unbalanced game, thanks in advance

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Nobody cares about your opinion you insufferable dolt.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

ok xenuria

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

how to 'play' this game

1) play eco indefinitely

2) go aggressive and fall behind

3) multibox with virtual machines like the rest of the big players or fall behind

4) pay a lot of money each reset so you can't get rushed early on

5) don't critique the game on the in game chat, discord, or subreddit all owned by the company or else they will ban you on said platforms

Orv
May 4, 2011
I was promised Tribes and there ain't no skiing in here.

arenthor
Dec 4, 2016
Just jumped on when the second server came up, seems alright so far.

Progressing pretty much the same rate everyone else is despite not paying to win

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
We have like 10 spots left out of our group of 80- currently teamed up with goons and Wildly Inappropriate people. Come join us for a dominating win on alpha 2!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I gave this game a try back when the latest round started, maybe a month ago, ish. I hate to say it but I think I'm agreeing with the resident troll. A lot of the design feels like a mobile game (especially the login rewards and cards) and there's a clear pipeline between money and instantly building poo poo (and from that economic power, to fleet power). Like, if you want to go full whale and dump a thousand dollars into build acceleration cards you can probably level up a good number of alts to gently caress up the game. You can probably also convert those same cards into card-resources and then that into unit powerups. There's no real reason the devs would disallow this, too, beyond "health of the game" which is a non-issue as long as its profitable so I can't see this not happening.

It claims to be an MMORTS but it feels closer to a turn-based (or pbem) 4x for all the negligible time commitment and player interaction required, and units basically jumping between tiles (as opposed to flying around on-map in real time) only helps that comparison. Past the initial frenzy, most of your construction and fleet movement takes place on the scale of hours to fractions of a day, and you really only need to log in once or twice a day (if that) in order to fill your queues and move a couple fleets around. In terms of playstyle it's closer to those old "five minutes a day" browser games like ogame or astro empires rather than true mmorts' like beyond protocol used to be. Combat also looks pretty damned simple; you've got 'offensive' and 'defensive' units in small/medium/large sizes, and the player has no actual control over the units on the field so if my offensive doomstack is bigger than your defensive doomstack, I win and that's all there is to it.

Might be good in the future, but there's enough red flags in the game for me to decide that I didn't want to put any more time/effort into it past the first week. I just don't trust it, and don't see enough potential for that to override my distrust.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 6, 2018

Rapner
May 7, 2013

This just went to open beta. Anyone else playing?

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Rapner posted:

This just went to open beta. Anyone else playing?

I brought a small group of goons to Beta Server 3 in the Draco starting region. None of us have played before, and frankly I don't even remember how I found this game.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I found it by looking in the dead forum MMO HMO when I had some free time I was looking to fill I dunno at some point a year or two ago.

It looked interesting enough back then, and there's currently a free open beta? Post when you sort out the guild situation and I'll make an account and join you guys and check this thing out. Unless the 2 year old OP from a different beta cycle is still accurate.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

I just heard about this and started playing in the open Beta. I'm into it. I'm on 2 servers right now, #s 2 and 3. I just started my 2nd station in each. I'm looking forward to how a "round" develops over the coming weeks, and hope I don't get crushed before things start getting interesting. I already joined an alliance in Server 2, but would be down to ally up with goons on # 3 if anyone is playing there.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I'm in the top 10 on server #2. In AYYLMAO alliance, I think we have spots if any goons want to join let me know.

This is the perfect game to play during WFH stay at home. It's easy to spend 5 minutes then tab out for a couple of hours before needing to come back. I suggest any goons visiting this thread go ahead and jump on this. Server #4 just started today if we wanted to get a goon group going?

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

I'm invested in my Alliance on server #2, but would be down to start something on #s 3 or 4. Is there a discord set up?

I think this game is really cool so far and haven't even seen a proper conflict yet.

It.probably will be disappointing in another week or so when all the bad decisions I'm making now will result in me being crushed.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

So farting around on Server 2 for a bit and wow this game does NOT like 16:10 monitors. It has no idea how to layout for that and UI elements overlap. My 16:9 should be back sometime next week hopefully. Works fine in a small 1920x1080 window though. After I figure out what I'm doing I'll probably roll on #4 games only last 70 days so anyone on the fence figure out what to do now fart around and once we get some numbers and a knowledge base we can take a stab at this proper planned for day 0.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I'm quite enjoying this - there is little to no documentation and I built my first outpost in a stupid place because I thought mining facilities could harvest from planets (they don't) but if we can get a strong presence it could be a fun romp - get in server 4 draco and pm me!

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

CancerCakes posted:

I'm quite enjoying this - there is little to no documentation and I built my first outpost in a stupid place because I thought mining facilities could harvest from planets (they don't) but if we can get a strong presence it could be a fun romp - get in server 4 draco and pm me!

You can downgrade your outposts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

4 Draco sounds like enough of a plan, anyone have any idea what they are doing? I apparently got into Alpha and didn't realize it because I have an alpha tester badge. I don't mind being terrible and just figuring things out for a round if that's what we want to do. An alliance doesn't seem too difficult to fill.