Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I gave this game a try back when the latest round started, maybe a month ago, ish. I hate to say it but I think I'm agreeing with the resident troll. A lot of the design feels like a mobile game (especially the login rewards and cards) and there's a clear pipeline between money and instantly building poo poo (and from that economic power, to fleet power). Like, if you want to go full whale and dump a thousand dollars into build acceleration cards you can probably level up a good number of alts to gently caress up the game. You can probably also convert those same cards into card-resources and then that into unit powerups. There's no real reason the devs would disallow this, too, beyond "health of the game" which is a non-issue as long as its profitable so I can't see this not happening.

It claims to be an MMORTS but it feels closer to a turn-based (or pbem) 4x for all the negligible time commitment and player interaction required, and units basically jumping between tiles (as opposed to flying around on-map in real time) only helps that comparison. Past the initial frenzy, most of your construction and fleet movement takes place on the scale of hours to fractions of a day, and you really only need to log in once or twice a day (if that) in order to fill your queues and move a couple fleets around. In terms of playstyle it's closer to those old "five minutes a day" browser games like ogame or astro empires rather than true mmorts' like beyond protocol used to be. Combat also looks pretty damned simple; you've got 'offensive' and 'defensive' units in small/medium/large sizes, and the player has no actual control over the units on the field so if my offensive doomstack is bigger than your defensive doomstack, I win and that's all there is to it.

Might be good in the future, but there's enough red flags in the game for me to decide that I didn't want to put any more time/effort into it past the first week. I just don't trust it, and don't see enough potential for that to override my distrust.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU