Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

That's really unwarranted.

It is actually entirely warranted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I Before E posted:

It is actually entirely warranted

Jeez, I always forget that some of you guys really hate my guts.

You're officially uninvited to next year's pizza raffle.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I basically post in a bubble of like 4-5 threads lol, so I don't even know who Dickeye/Benghazi is :shrug:

:rip: to them though, I guess?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Dickeye wouldn't be allowed to come back home alive. And she wouldn't be allowed to ban herself. Her account would be ended by her most beloved disciple... that was the way the mods wanted it. That was the mission she was given. And she had no choice but to carry it out... her ban at your hands was a duty she had to fulfill. Out of duty, she turned her back on her own posters. A lesser woman would have been crushed by such a burden. The taint of disgrace will follow her to her grave. Future generations will revile her: In CineD, as a despicable traitor with no sense of honor; and in CSPAM, as a monster who unleashed a nuclear catastrophe. She will go down in official history as a shitposter, and no one will ever understand her... that was her final mission. And like a true poster, she saw it through the end. But I think she wanted you, of all people to know the truth. She wanted to live on in your memories. Not as a poster, but as a woman. But... she was forbidden to tell you herself. And that's why she told me. Goons, history will never know what she did. No one will ever learn the truth. Her story, her debriefing... will endure only in your heart. Everything she did, she did for her forums. She sacrificed her posts and her honor for her native land. She was a real hero. She was a true patriot.

Skwirl posted:

In this thread specifically, Dickeye and SMG fall under the same clause of near infinite forgiveness for me specifically, but I also think anyone who pays attention, for introducing us to films most of us would never have heard of or payed attention to otherwise, (the two Universal Soldier DTV films in SMGs case, and Surviving Edged Weapons and Terrorween when it comes to Dickeye, but that last one might be well known among goons who actually watch horror films).

Dickeye was the instrument I used to infect all of you with Tammy and th T-Rex because I badgered her into streaming it a few years back (that was probably like a good month and a half of "Come on, play the movie."..."No, gently caress you."). Though I'm not sure if I made a bigger splash by jokingly calling for a boycott on Vinegar Syndrome until they released the movie on blu-ray for so long it became a running joke. Either way:

YOU'RE WELCOME.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

Dickeye was the instrument I used to infect all of you with Tammy and th T-Rex because I badgered her into streaming it a few years back (that was probably like a good month and a half of "Come on, play the movie."..."No, gently caress you."). Though I'm not sure if I made a bigger splash by jokingly calling for a boycott on Vinegar Syndrome until they released the movie on blu-ray for so long it became a running joke. Either way:

YOU'RE WELCOME.

Oh gently caress, I didn't even realize how this must be affecting you. How are you holding up?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Dickeye wouldn't be allowed to come back home alive. And she wouldn't be allowed to ban herself. Her account would be ended by her most beloved disciple... that was the way the mods wanted it. That was the mission she was given. And she had no choice but to carry it out... her ban at your hands was a duty she had to fulfill. Out of duty, she turned her back on her own posters. A lesser woman would have been crushed by such a burden. The taint of disgrace will follow her to her grave. Future generations will revile her: In CineD, as a despicable traitor with no sense of honor; and in CSPAM, as a monster who unleashed a nuclear catastrophe. She will go down in official history as a shitposter, and no one will ever understand her... that was her final mission. And like a true poster, she saw it through the end. But I think she wanted you, of all people to know the truth. She wanted to live on in your memories. Not as a poster, but as a woman. But... she was forbidden to tell you herself. And that's why she told me. Goons, history will never know what she did. No one will ever learn the truth. Her story, her debriefing... will endure only in your heart. Everything she did, she did for her forums. She sacrificed her posts and her honor for her native land. She was a real hero. She was a true patriot.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Skwirl posted:

Oh gently caress, I didn't even realize how this must be affecting you. How are you holding up?

We've been facebook friends for years, it's not a huge deal. There are a whole bunch of past and present forums people I talk to on facebook all the time. A few of them on a daily basis or just about.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

The Best

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

banned from Starbucks posted:

Na a broken clock can be right twice a day.

Thanks for that take, notoriously Dickeye-hating poster, I’m sure this is absolutely a reasonable position from someone who doesn’t have a history of making an rear end of themselves in attempts to get one over on her.

This is what I’m talking about, you’re too wrapped up in your personal victory against your posting nemesis to recognize this is bigger than you. “Hey, enemy down” you think to yourself while doing zero thought on the context. It’s not weird or suspicious to you that one of the biggest, most outspoken critics of the D&D mods and SA administration was permabanned while QCS is indefinitely closed and several users who were straight up posting about how much they love Hitler get easily reversible regular bans? That’s not at all weird to you? It probably is, but you don’t care. Your personal forums rival is gone, and now you can go back to pretending like anyone in this subforum likes you.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah just ignore the context of dickeye being an obnoxious shitbag for over a decade with 4 pages of bans/probations that would make TF blush but lol she showed us this totally weird movie once all is redeemed! gently caress you.

It was long deserved.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Dickeye was often prickly and combative, but she had the strength of her convictions. She had passion, and that passion came through in both love and disdain, in good posting and bad.

She will be missed.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Yeah just ignore the context of dickeye being an obnoxious shitbag for over a decade with 4 pages of bans/probations that would make TF blush but lol she showed us this totally weird movie once all is redeemed! gently caress you.

It was long deserved.

If that’s the case, you’ve got a full page yourself, so when can we expect yours?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

They Permabanned Crazy Cloud at the same time for the same "reason" so it was pretty blatantly punishing two uppity trans posters from C-SPAM

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Pirate Jet posted:

If that’s the case, you’ve got a full page yourself, so when can we expect yours?

Yeah I was about to make a pot/kettle-joke but then I didn't because I don't want to insult Dickeye by comparing her to that rear end in a top hat.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How am I still around

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I have gone from despising Dickeye to tolerating them to kind of liking them but still finding their posting stressful for me sometimes but acting like someone that had pages of probations across multiple accounts and who was constantly picking fights getting banned can only be the result of spite is weird. The forums appear to be trying to crack down on posters who are consistently toxic and the chances that won't hit a few posters you like i pretty low.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
i think dickeye's perma is gonna enable posters who got shouted down by her to become shittier at posting, which will eventually lead to their own bans

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

It was long deserved.

The opposite interpretation is true.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

axelblaze posted:

I have gone from despising Dickeye to tolerating them to kind of liking them but still finding their posting stressful for me sometimes but acting like someone that had pages of probations across multiple accounts and who was constantly picking fights getting banned can only be the result of spite is weird. The forums appear to be trying to crack down on posters who are consistently toxic and the chances that won't hit a few posters you like i pretty low.

Again, look at the post she was perma’d for and tell me it wasn’t done out of a personal vendetta.

Dickeye was not banned because of disrespect to someone in BSS or CineD. She was banned at a moment where discussion and criticism of the forums has no particular venue, while the dignity of its transgender members is under attack, and as a result of the overreach of the moderators of D&D. If you don’t post in C-SPAM, the administration is expecting you to just take the listed ban reason at face value when the context of the C-SPAM and D&D conflict makes it very clear it’s not that.

And I’ll also mention again, Dickeye was permabanned at a time when FYAD posters were eating regular bans that they immediately bought back from for posting about how much they loved Hitler.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Like two weeks ago Dickeye was probated for incredibly tepid mod sass for a month, and it was such obvious bullshit all of D&D complained until it got reversed. And then the mod who did it probated themself as some sort of attempt at penance.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Then PM the mod and have them explain it to to you until you get somewhere. I am amazed Dickeye wasn't banned like 5 years ago (just look at their rap sheet, I mean actually look at it) but if you think this can only be a vendetta ban and not because they've been picking fights in here for their entire posting career, confront the mod. Nothing we can do.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Skwirl posted:

In this thread specifically, Dickeye and SMG fall under the same clause of near infinite forgiveness for me specifically, but I also think anyone who pays attention, for introducing us to films most of us would never have heard of or payed attention to otherwise, (the two Universal Soldier DTV films in SMGs case, and Surviving Edged Weapons and Terrorween when it comes to Dickeye, but that last one might be well known among goons who actually watch horror films).

It was Fishbulb and I who taught the good word of Hauntedween to Dickeye, but she was willing to stream it, and she definitely gets all the credit for CineD’s biggest meme movie.

It was long deserved.

It should have been you.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

axelblaze posted:

Then PM the mod and have them explain it to to you until you get somewhere. I am amazed Dickeye wasn't banned like 5 years ago (just look at their rap sheet, I mean actually look at it) but if you think this can only be a vendetta ban and not because they've been picking fights in here for their entire posting career, confront the mod. Nothing we can do.

I don’t know if you’ve been paying much attention to the forum this past month but there have been multiple discussions with the mods and admins about the direction of the forums, the conflict between D&D and C-SPAM, and the treatment of its transgender posters, and they’ve consistently found a way to make the worst possible decision every time. As I’ve already said, Dickeye and I personally did not get along but that doesn’t mean her ban wasn’t loving tyrannical bullshit and it’s not at all unfair to point that out.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is the goon who probated a black dude for saying he hated being called the n-word and then sent him goatse in a pm when he asked why he got probated still a mod?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Skwirl posted:

Sometimes Dickeye is terrible, most of her bans and probes are at least partially justified, but on the whole she was a net benefit to this forum.

I like her for the most part, but she could also be wildly explosive and antagonistic, there’s a reason “settle down, Dickeye” was a catchphrase. Then again, she was extremely good at knowing and watching movies, and isn’t that why we’re all here? Put on Surviving Edged Weapons in their honor.

Anyway, long live Dickeye.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Empress Brosephine posted:

How am I still around

Hell, same

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Coffee And Pie posted:

Then again, she was extremely good at knowing and watching movies, and isn’t that why we’re all here?

lmao no way in hell, she still hasn’t watched Repo Man

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Free Dickeye.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

X-Ray Pecs posted:

lmao no way in hell, she still hasn’t watched Repo Man

I take it all back, set phasers to kill

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Dickeye could absolutely be explosive and obnoxious, but also her rage -- at least when it came to politics and not movies/comics -- was always in the right direction. Anger at injustice and the general fall-in-line liberalism that acts morally righteous but is totally chill with festering transphobia and bigotry. Like, perhaps the all-out posting war she sparked in CSPAM was overkill for an internet forum, but also she was completely right and justified in her reasons and demands and this permaban is some right out bullshit.

Like, there's absolutely been times where Dickeye has grated on us all, but this obviously has nothing to do with her being a persistent problem poster and clearly everything to do with a specific, recent campaign in a couple subforums for which she rightfully called out rampant bigotry.

Free Dickeye.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

If Dickeye was in fact perma'd because of long standing issues, the timing is still incredibly stupid because it looks an awful lot like -- after shutting down QCS and spending a few weeks in internal discussions in the mod forums -- the official strategy that emerged was "permaban the most outspoken trans posters and issue regular bans to nazis then hope the decrease in drama looks to the general population like we did our jobs".

Like, I'm not going to argue one way or another whether Dickeye should have been permabanned but combining "general housecleaning" with the very specific issue of trans bigotry and just coincidentally banning a couple trans posters is a really boneheaded look, even assuming total sincerity.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Having been a part of the admins and mods discussion over the matter, I'll say this.

Dickeye's Permaban has been discussed for months. Even before the FYAD disaster.

It has been discussed across many subforums, especially The Finer Arts and other threads based around discussions, and I know I've mentioned it in CineD during times of animosity, that if you argue for what's right/moralistic but do so in an aggressive way, and are constantly poo poo-stirring, aggressive, vitriolic or hateful, you're eventually going to be removed from the website.

Dickeye got a lot of wiggle room in this specific thread, because it's CineD's casual chat. I also understood that "gently caress you, poo poo head" doesn't always literally mean that (although very often, from her, it did). I just knew that Dickeye seemingly couldn't talk without throwing in some smackdown. As long as it didn't get too out of hand, I let it go, because most people could take it with a grain of salt in GenChat. When it came to more specific threads, then I would crack down harder. And trust me, I got plenty of PMs from Dickeye telling me how much of a loving idiot I was every time she ate a probation.

Dickeye contributed a lot of cool things to CineD. I'm happy we got a Magic Lizard thread last year, and I was interested in her beginning a thread for random weird films like The Nude Man. I can appreciate her positive contributions to the site, but Admins and Mods decided that even if she's arguing in good faith for good reasons, her over-all negativity and aggressiveness was regularly too much work to deal with. So a decision was made recently to permaban her. From the discussions I read and were a part of, the decision was made on an over-all view of their posting history and posting pattern. As I mentioned, the discussion has been a back-and-forth for months at this point. From my perspective, I don't think it was made out of a vendetta from any specific mod or admin, or as retribution for specific posts (hence their choosing an old, innocuous post to use to perma her).

Right now SomethingAwful is in a weird sea-change. Mods and Admins are trying to maintain this as a place people can enjoy posting. Part of that is looking at the list of problematic posters who get reported for probations every single day, who have been banned multiple times, who are regularly the subject of PMs asking 'why is this person allowed to act in such a way?', and who have no interest in changing that.

I know Dickeye was a divisive and prominent poster who some consider a friend and/or a staple of CineD. While I understand that people would want to discuss their views on it, I don't see where else the discussion can go that hasn't already been addressed. If you want to discuss it on the CineD discord, then have at it. If an appropriate thread for discussing Dickeye is made in the appropriate subforum, then feel free to discuss it there. But for now, let's move on. There's no need for a slap-fight to start in this thread over the decision.

If you have questions for me specifically, you know you're welcome to PM me on-site or DM me on Discord.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 6, 2020

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Franchescanado posted:

It has been discussed across many subforums, especially The Finer Arts and other threads based around discussions, and I know I've mentioned it in CineD during times of animosity, that if you argue for what's right/moralistic but do so in an aggressive way, and are constantly poo poo-stirring, aggressive, vitriolic or hateful, you're eventually going to be removed from the website... I can appreciate her positive contributions to the site, but Admins and Mods decided that even if she's arguing in good faith for good reasons, her over-all negativity and aggressiveness was regularly too much work to deal with..

it’s hard to imagine a more distasteful policy than enforcing decorum because people who feel strongly about serious issues are a lot of work

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Franchescanado posted:

Admins and Mods decided that even if she's arguing in good faith for good reasons, her over-all negativity and aggressiveness was regularly too much work to deal with.

this is really crummy, you gotta know this is crummy.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

DeimosRising posted:

it’s hard to imagine a more distasteful policy than enforcing decorum because people who feel strongly about serious issues are a lot of work

I feel like this is not an entirely fair reading of Fran's post.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

From my perspective, I don't think it was made out of a vendetta from any specific mod or admin, or as retribution for specific posts (hence their choosing an old, innocuous post to use to perma her).

Do you believe this is an innocuous post? Because it’s what you get when you click on her permaban in the Leper’s Colony.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Hand Knit posted:

Perhaps not of Fran's intentions but it absolutely, 100% indicates where the overall mod teams head is.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've had Dickeye on ignore for years due to the vitriol, and even I think that getting permabanned because a mod has an obvious vendetta against her is an awful way to go, especially at a time like this.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hand Knit posted:

I don’t think it’s what he was going for personally but I absolutely do think it’s the broader moderation policy here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As much as I found dickeye's ad hominem attacks really distasteful to the point where I put her on ignore ages ago, this feels like the wrong move based on that explanation from Fran. As discussed, dickeye wasn't angry for no reason, and this certainly does feel uncomfortably close to punishing and silencing the victim for acting out against the bully. Yeah, she also was sometimes (often) vitriolic outside of those instances, and I think there is an argument to be made that she consistently disregarded community standards by being, well, a dick. But I guess I feel like that's exactly what the ignore button is for?

These forums have become one of the only (somewhat) sane places online in large part because of tireless and aggressive moderation over the years—but being able to support a diversity of good-faith voices and perspectives in discussion feels like it should be a goal of the moderation team. I think you can still easily do that while keeping nazi fuckheads out. I personally feel like her voice has been far more positive than negative, and in a way that thankfully pushes back against the tide of 30-Something Allegedly Intelligent White Cis Straight Male Discussion vibe that SA can so often have and that I've also been guilty of. I think my posting has become more thoughtful based on her perspective being present, at the very least.

e: And yeah, appreciate the transparency, Fran.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 6, 2020