Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Personally I'd prefer someone like Dickeye post flaming screeds because of actual conviction, than SMG/BotL styled Hot Takes fueled by terminal contrarianism.

The post she was singled out for ties into the longstanding discussion about CSPAM needing its own mod/voice as well, so it's not just bad because the trans poster was silenced.

I can understand that Dickeye was divisive but popping her off now is really a bad look.

Anyway, I do want to thank Fran for being transparent and upfront with the reasoning and the discussions that were being had about the poster. Really speaks to Fran's care about the forum and community here and it's appreciated.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Fran, I think you've done a wonderful job moderating CineD and you are a really fair, welcoming poster who's always kept a good attitude while dealing with the chaos. But I really disagree here on this and the timing of Dickeye's ban combined with all the reasons stated above just show this was a really, really poor decision made on, at best, weak reasoning.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

RIP SA 9/11/01 - 1/5/20

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I doubt anyone here would be surprised that I consider dickeye a friend and I've defended her a number of times on and off the forums when people bitched about her. That said I will fully admit that she has been frequently vitriolic and that's what she's best known for. However, what doesn't stick with people is that a lot of the time it wasn't just for no good reason. This wasn't a reputation that she just gathered over night. So to me something stinks about her being permabanned, after years of this kind of posting, now when trans posters are being banned and probated left and right for raising concerns about an issue the mods and Lowtax himself have fully acknowledged, especially in reference to one particular subforum that has always been a bunch of poo poo stirrers. There is more than one thread where this is being discussed and in reference to Dickeye in particular. So it's not just raising eyebrows here. If this wasn't a deliberate choice to get rid of a poster who is both trans and very well know for being extremely outspoken simply for being annoying too many times it's the worst loving timing. As much as she pisses people off there are plenty of people who like her. For all her faults, Dickeye is a prolific poster who actually adds something here, which is more than can be said for an awful lot of people who get a pass for way worse poo poo. This is absolutely going to drive people away from the forums as I'm sure the recent slap fighting over FYAD already has. At the very best this is just a real bad look.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Completely co-sign what CPL said

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yes, I think CPL says it best. I don’t like Dickeye, I’ve had her on ignore for years, but I do care about the kind of community being fostered here and I think it’s detrimental to fostering that community to carry this decision out in this manner.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Man when dickeye got her 30 day probe reversed I thought it was the first sign that maybe finally a real serious foot was gonna come down on lovely transphobes and loving awful irony posters and then FYAD was closed and I was even more optimistic but then FYAD came back and Lowyax was lovely on stream and now this

I guess like half a month of vague optimism is about all we get at one time these days

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

Man when dickeye got her 30 day probe reversed I thought it was the first sign that maybe finally a real serious foot was gonna come down on lovely transphobes and loving awful irony posters and then FYAD was closed and I was even more optimistic but then FYAD came back and Lowyax was lovely on stream and now this

I guess like half a month of vague optimism is about all we get at one time these days

it really is a microcosm of actual global politics right now. A sliver of hope and then a boot on your face forever

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

DC Murderverse posted:

and Lowyax was lovely on stream

I didn’t hear about this, dish.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

TrixRabbi posted:

Fran, I think you've done a wonderful job moderating CineD and you are a really fair, welcoming poster who's always kept a good attitude while dealing with the chaos. But I really disagree here on this and the timing of Dickeye's ban combined with all the reasons stated above just show this was a really, really poor decision made on, at best, weak reasoning.

Said better than I could.

CPL593H posted:

I doubt anyone here would be surprised that I consider dickeye a friend and I've defended her a number of times on and off the forums when people bitched about her. That said I will fully admit that she has been frequently vitriolic and that's what she's best known for. However, what doesn't stick with people is that a lot of the time it wasn't just for no good reason. This wasn't a reputation that she just gathered over night. So to me something stinks about her being permabanned, after years of this kind of posting, now when trans posters are being banned and probated left and right for raising concerns about an issue the mods and Lowtax himself have fully acknowledged, especially in reference to one particular subforum that has always been a bunch of poo poo stirrers. There is more than one thread where this is being discussed and in reference to Dickeye in particular. So it's not just raising eyebrows here. If this wasn't a deliberate choice to get rid of a poster who is both trans and very well know for being extremely outspoken simply for being annoying too many times it's the worst loving timing. As much as she pisses people off there are plenty of people who like her. For all her faults, Dickeye is a prolific poster who actually adds something here, which is more than can be said for an awful lot of people who get a pass for way worse poo poo. This is absolutely going to drive people away from the forums as I'm sure the recent slap fighting over FYAD already has. At the very best this is just a real bad look.

And also said better than I could.

She rioted for the voice of the unheard, and skanked for the cause of the uncool.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

X-Ray Pecs posted:

https://twitter.com/sup_im_sammy/status/1212203467189690369?s=21

The person who posted these logs got banned for modsass, along with a bunch of trans posters who were mean to Lowtax because he’s a lovely human being

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Ive been lurking SA since 2001 and a poster since 2004. I am 31 now. I have been a part of this community since I was 12 years old and I became a member before I even had my drivers licence. My brother, who got me this account because I didnt have a debit/cc because I was 15 years old, has been a member of SA since before there was even a loving paywall.

So allow me to flex that cred for a moment...

It is really really really suspect that someone got permabanned on this forum for being an rear end in a top hat of Dickeyes variety. Ive seen far far far far worse routine behaviour slide and not earn permabans. IMO, the only reason to permaban someone is if it legally endagers SA as a company or said poster actually threatens the physical and mental well being of other posters. IMO, normal bans exist and have always existed for this reason. If someone wants to routinely be a piece of poo poo and piss off mods, make them pay for it until they dont think its worth their time or money anymore. Im sure SA could use the funds these days.

Also, if it means anything, I took a break from SA for awhile and when I came back I didnt even realize Benghazi 2 was Dickeye lol

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Went on a banning spree against anyone who disagreed with him. And then reversed the bans in the morning when he sobered up, iirc.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

AccountSupervisor posted:

Ive been lurking SA since 2001 and a poster since 2004. I am 31 now. I have been a part of this community since I was 12 years old and I became a member before I even had my drivers licence. My brother, who got me this account because I didnt have a debit/cc because I was 15 years old, has been a member of SA since before there was even a loving paywall.

So allow me to flex that cred for a moment...

It is really really really suspect that someone got permabanned on this forum for being an rear end in a top hat of Dickeyes variety. Ive seen far far far far worse routine behaviour slide and not earn permabans. IMO, the only reason to permaban someone is if it legally endagers SA as a company or said poster actually threatens the physical and mental well being of other posters. IMO, normal bans exist and have always existed for this reason. If someone wants to routinely be a piece of poo poo and piss off mods, make them pay for it until they dont think its worth their time or money anymore. Im sure SA could use the funds these days.

Also, if it means anything, I took a break from SA for awhile and when I came back I didnt even realize Benghazi 2 was Dickeye lol

I feel it extremely easy to figure that you can just let the assholes post all they want when you're not the one having to actually deal with them. I've seen people bring up the permaing only in extreme cases before but that has never been the rule. People have been permad for getting to a second page of probations.

Honestly the main question with dickeye isn't what did they do to deserve to be banned but rather why now? To be fair I dont think there is a point in this site's history where Dickeye could have been permad and it wouldn't be easy to argue it was just a petty mod but I do agree that doing at this point is a bad look that's hard to completely hand waved away.

I do also think that maybe people might be overstating just a little bit how much Dickeye was a person fighting for justice and all that is good rather than someone that just argued with everyone about everything all the time and sometimes that overlapped with them being right.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

That issue was specifically raised in Fran’s post. Everyone knows 90% of her meltdowns were about comic books and she was really annoying. It’s just no one believes that’s why she got a perma

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

COOL CORN posted:

Haha Dracula episode 3 is the whackest plot twist oh my God

What's the twist

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Whats the story on that 1917 movie? Trailer looked interesting but “world war 1 movie in january” gets my oscar bait hackles up.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm also gonna throw out there that, at some point in the recent past, Dickeye kind of went from "abrasive" to "visibly seriously unwell" and it's probably not the worst thing for her to get, at the bare minimum, a longish break from a place that's clearly not super healthy for her

Like I liked Dickeye but I get it

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Well yes, there has never been a "rule" for permas and its always been wildly inconsistent as to why they are dealt out but yeah as a non-mod Ive only really felt they were truly neccessary in the cases in which I stated. Then again, Ive never really felt like probations were an effective way of dealing with posters like Dickeye and Ive never really agreed with the inception of that system.

I also probably dont know enough about Dickeyes posting outside of CineD beyond typically just being an insulting rear end in a top hat.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

AccountSupervisor posted:

Well yes, there has never been a "rule" for permas

it seems that the rule now is you get perma'd for being an annoying poster, but if you're a nazi you get a 6 hour probation, maybe a regular ban

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

Whats the story on that 1917 movie? Trailer looked interesting but “world war 1 movie in january” gets my oscar bait hackles up.

Tbh, while I respect the poo poo out of the movie and I would certainly call it "good", I was bored halfway through, didnt really care much for the characters and Im really really tired of "one shots"(its just a series of long takes stitched together). I dont find them particularly impressive technically or narratively anymore.

I also am still waiting for a modern WW1 movie to truly capture the insanity of that conflict and Im kind of bored of the British perspective on it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can't tell if Dickeye has been banned from Twitter again or just being quiet.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think they were banned a month or so ago

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

If it was just dickeye you might be able to use the “she was awful to everyone, everywhere” excuse and have that be that but there was another trans poster permabanned at the exact same time and they were the only two with that excuse. You might be able to justify both of them on merits but the reason it happened when it did, the way it did is clearly at best dangerously stupid and at worst actively evil.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Anonymous Robot posted:

It’s a one-shot like Birdman.

Detective No. 27 posted:

She has a new account, I certainly did not post it quite recently.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

If it was just dickeye you might be able to use the “she was awful to everyone, everywhere” excuse and have that be that but there was another trans poster permabanned at the exact same time and they were the only two with that excuse. You might be able to justify both of them on merits but the reason it happened when it did, the way it did is clearly at best dangerously stupid and at worst actively evil.

And that other poster was permabanned 26 days into a 30-day probation.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

Yeah, combined with the softer banning of several other well-liked CSPAM regulars. Totally not suspicious at all.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Or Lowtax's recent post about not getting CSPAM or feeling like he couldn't post in areas of his forumz.

Whoo free redbox rental. When the gently caress is Joker coming to disc?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It’s a one-shot like Birdman.

Tbh this gimmick is enough to get me to see it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Whoo free redbox rental. When the gently caress is Joker coming to disc?

Tomorrow, but Redbox is occasionally late to the physical release of things by a week or two.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Tbh this gimmick is enough to get me to see it.

It kinda makes me roll my eyes but I still want to see it because I like war movies.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

RBA Starblade posted:

What's the twist

Episodes 1 and 2 are pretty decent Dracula rehashing. Ep 1 is in the normal castle with Jonathan Harker in Victorian-era Transylvania, Claes Bang plays a really good charismatic Count Dracula, and Agatha van Helsing, a Catholic nun, is a surprisingly good twist on the original character. Ep 2 is Drac on a boat picking off the passengers one by one and it's a pretty good whodunnit (I mean, for the passengers, we know whodunnit), and everyone's cool and I was actually really engaged the whole time, but then they capture him and put him in a coffin with Transylvania soil and it cuts to him waking up in PRESENT DAY. I think I actually said "are you loving kidding me" at the TV

Episode 3 (the final episode) has Dracula waking up in modern day England and lots of comedic beats where he's like "oh what's this device, ah wait I drank your husband's blood and now I know it's called....... a cell phone??" and the Jonathan Harker Foundation captures him and puts him in one of those Magneto glass prison cells, but his lawyer Renfield comes and bails him out, then he seduces a suicidal club girl and they're texting back and forth and Drac is using vampire emojis and poo poo, and then at the very end the descendant of Van Helsing is like "Dracula you're not actually allergic to sunlight or crosses, you're just afraid of death, you're a sad boy" and then Dracula drinks Van Helsing's blood but then Dracula dies because actually Van Helsing has cancer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What, lmao.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Hrm...
https://twitter.com/1stArmoredDiv/status/1214224879492444160

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

That definitely sounds like a Steven Moffat production.

That reminds me of his series Jekyll. It starts off well for about three episodes and then takes a nosedive as it gets into a bunch of nonsense with clones and a secret organization.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

COOL CORN posted:

Episodes 1 and 2 are pretty decent Dracula rehashing. Ep 1 is in the normal castle with Jonathan Harker in Victorian-era Transylvania, Claes Bang plays a really good charismatic Count Dracula, and Agatha van Helsing, a Catholic nun, is a surprisingly good twist on the original character. Ep 2 is Drac on a boat picking off the passengers one by one and it's a pretty good whodunnit (I mean, for the passengers, we know whodunnit), and everyone's cool and I was actually really engaged the whole time, but then they capture him and put him in a coffin with Transylvania soil and it cuts to him waking up in PRESENT DAY. I think I actually said "are you loving kidding me" at the TV

Episode 3 (the final episode) has Dracula waking up in modern day England and lots of comedic beats where he's like "oh what's this device, ah wait I drank your husband's blood and now I know it's called....... a cell phone??" and the Jonathan Harker Foundation captures him and puts him in one of those Magneto glass prison cells, but his lawyer Renfield comes and bails him out, then he seduces a suicidal club girl and they're texting back and forth and Drac is using vampire emojis and poo poo, and then at the very end the descendant of Van Helsing is like "Dracula you're not actually allergic to sunlight or crosses, you're just afraid of death, you're a sad boy" and then Dracula drinks Van Helsing's blood but then Dracula dies because actually Van Helsing has cancer

Honestly I was kind of into the idea of the modern times Dracula but as it went on it got dumber and dumber and then the ending twist was just :geno:

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

This is deleted what did it say?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

COOL CORN posted:

That last part is literally a Bob’s Burgers joke.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
And here I was content just laughing at that Dracula series because it's Dracula looks like Mr Bean. Good to know it's even more laughable than it appeared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Moffat is like what if Ryan Murphy was theoretically more learned but way stupider.