Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Olyphant is an incredible comedic actor. Santa Clarita Diet deserved another season

Yeah watching interviews with him, he's got a real charisma and sense of humor beyond the kind of superficial charm you'd get from somebody providing superficially clever rote talk show responses; it doesn't surprise me at all that he excels in comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah watching interviews with him, he's got a real charisma and sense of humor beyond the kind of superficial charm you'd get from somebody providing superficially clever rote talk show responses; it doesn't surprise me at all that he excels in comedy.

He’s always great on the late night talk shows. He’s got a very quick wit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I remember seeing an interview with him where he talks about his daughter being embarrassed of him and calling him lame, and him going,"Hey now! I know I'm cool, I've seen all kinds of stuff online about it!" :allears:

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Bumping this thread.

David Milch just released his memoirs and they're a fantastic read. Such a crazy upbringing and fascinating life. Nuggets of wisdom, insight on his writing process and his career. All while battling Alzheimer's (the memories from his life are either told to him by his family or recorded somewhere).

Highly recommended, I'm just at the part where he's talking about Deadwood. Deadwood is my favorite show of all-time and certainly one of the best things ever written for television, so making this into a sort of Deadwood homage thread sounds like it's a solid idea. I hope I don't look like a jackass.

But I mean, gently caress, if this ain't Shakespeare, I don't know what is:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMDs9xJJKmc.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Pattonesque posted:

Kim Dickens is a lead on that Walking Dead spinoff

Dillahunt was a lead in one of the walking dead spin offs too, as well as being in Snyder’s Army of the Dead.

I love when deadwood actors show up in random rear end stuff. I was just watching Man’s Best Friend and this guy showed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XTOB5eTqkY

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Sanderson to me is like the epitome of a character actor. He’s got something like 130 credits going back to the late 70s.

But he’ll always be E.B., to me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I saw Dillahunt turn up on a random Blindspot I was watching. It was basically to do a drugs PSA, where he was a soldier dying from drug complications whose role in the plot was to scare straight one of the leads. Terrible stuff, but Dillahunt got a special guest star credit anyway.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

MrMojok posted:

Sanderson to me is like the epitome of a character actor. He’s got something like 130 credits going back to the late 70s.

But he’ll always be E.B., to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6htQAxTNF0g

There's a 0% chance this sketch is funny without Sanderson selling it so hard.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I just loaded up Libby and grabbed Milch's memoir from the library. Just listening to the loving prologue... and I'm hooked. Definitely look into this, y'all. I'll have a lot to discuss with regard to this memoir, upon completion. Thanks for the recommendation, fawning deference

Honestly, those who are curious should check the prologue

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Another Bill posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6htQAxTNF0g

There's a 0% chance this sketch is funny without Sanderson selling it so hard.

The kids looking almost bored by dad pulling out a gun and threatening a murder-suicide is both hilarious and deeply disturbing in its implications.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
is there any chance I can get someone to read this book along with me? It is unbelievable. I anticipate not just a Deadwood rewatch but probably a whole Milch binge including Hill Street, NYPD, Luck, and other items.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 11, 2023

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i'd probably read it but i've got two other books i'm enjoying on the go right now so i'm just putting this down as a reminder to myself for when i check this thread again later: david milch has a book

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I am halfway through and he's going in depth into Deadwood. Just got an amazing anecdote about how Molly Parker's decision to tell Milch that she felt Alma's acceptance of Ellsworth's proposal was not adequately built to, and as a result, the scene where she has a monologue to her dead husband arose from it. There's some amazing stuff in there too, discussion of his addiction, mental illness, writing process. All of you all are going to have to read this. It's incredible.

edit: Wow, didn't know he made a movie in 2014 called The Money, which was essentially King Lear with the Murdoch family. The seeds of Succession being planted??

escape artist fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 12, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Somebody told me the other night that we're getting more Deadwood.

Is there something to that?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

LividLiquid posted:

Somebody told me the other night that we're getting more Deadwood.

Is there something to that?

No.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
If somebody teased me and got my hopes up by promising more Deadwood, they 'wood' be 'dead' after I killed them

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

God dammit. I knew we weren't. I knew what answer I'd get.

Why does this still hurt?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

LividLiquid posted:

God dammit. I knew we weren't. I knew what answer I'd get.

Why does this still hurt?

Maybe this person doesn't know that the new movie got released already? Milch is not in a condition to continue working and there has been absolutely zero rumors or buzz around MORE Deadwood. It's over.

It's interesting to read about how when shooting the film, he was not able to work in the same way at all, both for reasons of budget constraints and health constraints. For those that don't know, on the set, Milch would be there with the actors and constantly talk to them and make discoveries about scenes and character motivation and he was kind of famous for re-writing entire scenes on the spot or entire new sub-plots the day before the morning of a shoot, etc. With the movie it was a static process, and as much as I enjoyed the film, it didn't quite feel as natural and alive as the show.

He also mentions how with Luck, Michael Mann took control of the process entirely (his terms for being brought on to direct). Milch was not allowed on the set, and Milch really regretted that because to him, playing on scenes with actors on set and driving modifications to the script based on what feels natural is an integral part of his writing life-cycle.

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 13, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I specifically asked if they meant the movie that came out four years ago and they said no.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

LividLiquid posted:

I specifically asked if they meant the movie that came out four years ago and they said no.

Okay well I have no idea what they are referring to.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

fawning deference posted:

Maybe this person doesn't know that the new movie got released already? Milch is not in a condition to continue working and there has been absolutely zero rumors or buzz around MORE Deadwood. It's over.

It's interesting to read about how when shooting the film, he was not able to work in the same way at all, both for reasons of budget constraints and health constraints. For those that don't know, on the set, Milch would be there with the actors and constantly talk to them and make discoveries about scenes and character motivation and he was kind of famous for re-writing entire scenes on the spot or entire new sub-plots the day before the morning of a shoot, etc. With the movie it was a static process, and as much as I enjoyed the film, it didn't quite feel as natural and alive as the show.

He also mentions how with Luck, Michael Mann took control of the process entirely (his terms for being brought on to direct). Milch was not allowed on the set, and Milch really regretted that because to him, playing on scenes with actors on set and driving modifications to the script based on what feels natural is an integral part of his writing life-cycle.

Thanks for that book recommendation. It was loving incredible. I'm watching the Lost Israel two-part NYPD Blue episode that he mentions in Chapter four. What a loving chapter that was. The audiobook is narrated by Milch so hearing his raw emotion when talking about that was so powerful.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

They probably confused Deadwood and Justified.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Zorak of Michigan posted:

gently caress. I bet that's it.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Oh, it's gotta be this.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Bought that milch memoir on the recommendations ITT and it is just as awesome as previously mentioned. "There is something about literature--poetry and prose, but particularly poetry--which disinfects the effort of being."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

LividLiquid posted:

Well, at least your avatar isn't vandalized anymore

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

But I mean, gently caress, if this ain't Shakespeare, I don't know what is:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMDs9xJJKmc.

This really is one of if not the best written shows out there. Made the mistake of re-watching the first season and a half while watching Succession's last season, and while Succession is a masterpiece.... it's shine just doesn't compare to how immaculately Deadwood moves between characters and scenes. It's just an incredible dance of motivations that works so fuckin' well.

Will have to pick up the Milch bio.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Yeah, my first thought was absolutely,"They're thinking about Justified."

Speaking of which... yay, new Justified!

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

EB was truly a favorite of mine. As mentioned above, a perfect Shakespearean character. He's both pitiful/sympathetic and disdainful. Full of misery but powerless to change it, so he simply takes what he can get in a world which shits all over him. He's a conniving snake yet everyone sees right through him.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

EB was truly a favorite of mine. As mentioned above, a perfect Shakespearean character. He's both pitiful/sympathetic and disdainful. Full of misery but powerless to change it, so he simply takes what he can get in a world which shits all over him. He's a conniving snake yet everyone sees right through him.

In the book Milch says that Sanderson had a habit of beating himself up before scenes (figuratively speaking) and worked that into EB's character :)

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

So, here's an incredible scene. It's hard to understate how tremendous the acting is from all three roles here. It totally makes the scene. From S1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2vAebNrPC8

It's terrific foreshadowing too. We see Doc settle into his difficult relationship with Al -- he sees him as a monster and can barely contain those emotions around him, but at his heart, he's a doctor and he cares for people and he can be one of the most sensitive characters on the show because of it. This also foreshadows Doc's incredible monologue during the season finale while Al is putting down the preacher, which is the big explosion of Doc's emotions about Al's terror (my personal position is God here is kind of a stand-in for why someone like Al Swearengen gets the good life). Edit: because I have to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4isTaYN7i68

And you have Al, early in the show, who has clear control and intimidation over the camp. Walks in, walks out, unquestioned, unobstructed, and he snarks and laughs away anyone standing up to him. This is the height of Al's power and throughout the show we see his power fade in different ways, which challenges his sense of himself greatly.

And then, Jane, who is shown to us as a sympathetic person who is barely keeping her poo poo together at all times, who found a place where she can be trusted and relied upon for care, to keep her from going off the edge, but now she is given fear from Al and what she sees as pity from the Doc, which sets in motion her general never-quite-fitting-in isolation (and eventual leave) of the camp.

All of that from this one scene.

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 13, 2023

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Finished Milch's memoir. I lost some interest when he went deep into horse-racing and Luck as I never got into either one (although even that part had some good insights on the psychology of gambling addiction). The last bit, though, where he's talking about writing the Deadwood movie as he's succumbing to Alzheimers, is really poignant. He was aware of the parallels between Al's mortality and his own and he uses a lot of lines he gave to Al and Seth ("hate to die a fool") to describe his thoughts about the end of himself. He calls the chance to do the movie a gift, a way to say the last things about life he wanted to say. I had that notion when I saw the movie, but seeing it detailed in the book really makes it that much more heart-breaking.

Anyway, great book and a pretty short read.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Timothy Olyphant shares some funny David Milch stories from the show's run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih-AZizaB9w

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I didn’t know Welliver did impressions, but theee are great

https://youtu.be/fS_lE_AcD2k?si=bqzmq-m2SSWFTNoz

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Sand Monster posted: