Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
About fuckin time

Edit for real content: shame that Powers Boothe cant make it. And Richardson too :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Hey, if anyone wants to read through the transcripts: http://turtlegirl76.com/deadwood/indexOLD.htm

edit: from 3x03, one of my favorite scenes that doesn't have Ian McShane - Gerald McRaney's force-of-nature Hearst and Powers Boothe's mewling take on Tolliver's emasculation is loving fantastic:

Cy: I hope you'll take it as measure of my keenness, Sir, and curiosity.
Hearst: Yes, yes, yes, Mr. Tolliver. You wish to know your duties in my service.
Cy: Well, I make my way through the muck to learn the details.
Hearst: Your duties will be to answer like a dog when I call.
Cy: Like a dog?
Hearst: Complications of intention on your part in dealings with me or duplicity or indirection behavior, in short, which displeases me, will bring you a smack on the snout.
Cy: Ouch.
Hearst: When administered by a practiced hand such a blow can be more painful and grievous even than your recent sufferings.
Cy: I don't doubt the hand would be practiced.
Hearst: Mr. Swearengen recently discovered as much.
Cy: I gather it cost him a finger.
Hearst: But I should say too that in these rooms just this afternoon such displeasure brought me near to murdering the Sheriff and raping Mrs. Ellsworth. I have learned through time, Mr. Tolliver, and as repeatedly seem to forget that whatever temporary comfort relieving my displeasure brings me, my long-term interests suffer. My proper traffic is with the earth. In my dealings with people, I ought solely have to do with niggers and whites who obey me like dogs.
Cy: If he hadn't meant me to wag it, Sir, why would the Lord give me a tail?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbYDNxaK3W4

Asbury fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 15, 2018

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Troy Queef posted:

(sidenote: between Martha "The Borg Queen" Bullock and Skylar White, Anna Gunn really has a knack for being cast as wives that fans don't really like)

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, wasnt Alice Krige (who also starred in Deadwood as Maddie in season 2) the Borg Queen?

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Mu Zeta posted:

And then he came back to HBO to do a surfer/Jesus drama and then a horse racing gambling drama. Stuff that nobody wanted.

"Jfc" summed up my feelings pretty well when I heard

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Mu Zeta posted:

He played a badass in Justified. One of the better antagonists to Timothy Olyphant.

Arts speech about how they needed to stop and just admire what a badass old man he was was :lol:

Edit ^^ I dont want to spoil anything because the reveal is pretty good, but I think the fourth season is the one where he plays a major role.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 23, 2018

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I only finished half of season 4, but that was probably about 3-4 years ago, so I'm going to rewatch it, and finish the show, because it was so good.

gently caress, Margo Martindale did a fantastic job in S2. I even liked knife-dude Neal Mcdonough in S3, as ridiculous as he was.

Season 2 was definitely the highlight for me because of Mags, with 4 not far behind, probably tied with 3. I liked the mystery of season 4 but i dont think Patton Oswalt is funny at all.

I think 5 is universally considered the worst season (Elmore Leonard died that year, and it shows), but it has a great take on the theme song. And six is a pretty great ending.

Anyway what I'm saying is, the show is worth watching all the way through, even if it's a little uneven. The bad isnt terrible and the good is loving great.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Archyduchess posted:

There's a reason American Spiritualism underwent such a boom during and after the war-- death was the only narrative thread that seemed to tie the American psyche together, and very few elements of daily life could be conducted without the affective presence of grief and trauma. It would be totally fair I think to describe the 1870s and 1880s as post-apocalyptic in a very real way.

That was a really great post but especially that part there. I'd been trying to figure out the appeal of romanticized post-apocalyptic fiction over the last decade or so and I think you alluded to it in what you said: there's a kind of American pioneer, phoenix-from-the-ashes vibe of starting over that you really only find in post-war Manifest Destiny (and also in Fallout: New Vegas, which I think is what makes it such a thematically rich game). A viewer without any historical context could watch Deadwood as post-apoc fiction and still come away with the vibe of the old lovely world (Hearst) triumphant over the hope of a new one.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
No question about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0r9BGpCMzc

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I’m going to be honest: part of me still didn’t believe this was real until today...
:allears:

I'm still having problems honestly

poo poo sure got strange, fellas

Also, does mcshane look younger somehow?

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I really winced whenever he was on screen but his "not bad" face when the friend of the family General says he wants to gently caress his way to the Pacific Ocean was pretty goddamn lol

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

davidspackage posted:

I watched the Star Trek TNG episode where they defrost a bunch of 21st century cryohumans and wondered why the country singer sounded do familiar, until I realized it's Tom Noddal.

Those who doubt this eat gagh by choice

Asbury fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 5, 2019

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

drunkill posted:

Movie to air in May, according to Ian McShane.

May 26 is the weekend after GOT ends, decent timeslot for it.

Come to think of it, I started reading A Song of Ice and Fire the same year Deadwood aired. Two endings I've been waiting fifteen years for and they're both in the same month. So that's cool i guess

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Yeah - Netflix is a good place to experiment and see what poo poo sticks to a wall, but I don't think that's a great approach for HBO.

But what the gently caress do I know, really

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Jerusalem posted:

I legit thought he was going to die, it's one of the most incredible scenes of television I've ever seen.

If I remember right, doesn't Dan basically not feature at all in the next episode(s?) because he's recovering from the damage he took as well? I loved that just because he won he wasn't just up and about again the next episode.

Yeah he was out for a couple, recovering physically and psychologically. Led to one of Al's best lines, even. ("Some poo poo's best walked through alone.")

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Man this looks more awesome every shot

Edit: sounds more awesome, too
"Hearst wont take long before he honors the rigors of his putrid fuckin nature"

Asbury fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 25, 2019

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

This looks like the movie will follow the plot of Stephen King's It: the monster is back and the old gang has to get back together to kill it.

Lol except the monster wins the first time and then rides away in a wagon

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

Fixed this for you, and it also goes for a lot of the extended cast. At least they could always land a guest spot on Justified instead.

McShane not showing up on Justified was the saddest thing in the world.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Ian McShane's talents have been wasted most of his career. Remember his one episode of Game Of Thrones? Him trying his best to make American Gods watchable? That pirates movie? It goes on and on. At least the John Wick series is pretty good.

I'm thankful that Deadwood exists for many reasons but letting McShane shine in something that is actually quality is definitely among the top of them.

Yeah, you're right. Except for Kings I can't think of anything even relatively recent (besides John Wick) where he gets a chance to chew the scenery like a hog. Pillars of the Earth, maybe.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
This was fantastic.

With so much entertainment effectively weaponizing nostalgia lately (Stranger Things, the MCU, Cobra Kai, Star Wars, how many?) I was worried that this would follow suit - but somehow it doesn't. There is nostalgia, but it has a weight to it that's different and a lot more personal. Milch's diagnosis has a whole lot to do with that, but the gap in time does, too. It's like going to a family reunion where it hurts to see how everyone's changed because it hurts to know that everyone does. And you aren't any different.

Edit: That AVClub review is good and surprisingly insightful for the general caliber of essays over there anymore.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 3, 2019

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
^^Yeah, I didnt see it has al having alzheimer's so much as it just being the end result of a lifetime of alcohol abuse. But I do absolutely see Milch putting his thoughts and feelings about his Alzeimers into Al. That last line is the poor guy raging against the dying of the light.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

The Action Man posted:

Putting aside any specific diagnosis of Swearengen, seeing Al in a diminished mental and physical state hit me hard. I didn’t expect to feel bad for that nasty old pimp, but I did.

Yeah, same. Absolutely heart-wrenching.

edit: But Doc came back okay from being a lunger and Al's death ain't for a mortal fuckin certainty so :unsmith:

Asbury fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 8, 2019

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Cojawfee posted:

Farnum, Christ knows he's earned it.

Like everybody else, Al was my favorite character when the show aired, but on rewatches Farnum is really just as compelling. He gets soliloquies like al does (his bit when hes scrubbing the floor and complaining about his lot in life is just as good as, if not better than, some of al's blowjob monologues), and the utter contempt people treat him with really makes him the sort of character you want to sympathize with but cant. Like the bullied kid back in high school who ate bugs. Theres a level of complexity and nuance to the character and the performance that's Shakespeare-real like Iago. Like it's easy to see a part of yourself in it.

"I am not made for such complexities" is the quintessential Farnum line and names the unmentioned feeling of doubt that people internalize into personality. I loving love it.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
After watching the movie I went to go watch interviews with Ian McShane, just to make sure he wasn't as in as poor health as Al. I mean, man's a lot more hound-faced than he was thirteen years ago, his wrinkles have folds, but in his interviews he's quick and sharp. I can't think of any better actor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52ax5d54Y5c

"Al and Seth Ride the High Country"