Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Quote-Unquote posted:

I'm rewatching as well. I love Calamity Jane.

EB: "Be brief!"
Jane: "BE hosed!"

It's a real shame that, as far as I can tell, no one's really used Robin Weigert to her full potential, outside of Deadwood.

She's fantastic as Jane. She was criminally underused in Sons of Anarchy, but then again, gently caress that show. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Yep, I was gonna mention Game of Thrones, too, but "they made a whole Deadwood village" is how I always think of it when a show spends a ton of money on their scenery and sets to make everything look authentic. One of the reasons I'm not optimistic about the Pratchett Night Watch show is that I don't think you can pull it off without creating a whole Deadwood village that they aren't going to want to pay for.

Wait, what in the gently caress?

There's a gonna be a show?! About my boy Vimes?!?!

:eyepop: :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

He played a badass in Justified. One of the better antagonists to Timothy Olyphant.

Wait, who was he in Justified?

I haven't seen past season 4 yet, so if he's not in the first 4, nevermind, I'll find out.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I only finished half of season 4, but that was probably about 3-4 years ago, so I'm going to rewatch it, and finish the show, because it was so good.

gently caress, Margo Martindale did a fantastic job in S2. I even liked knife-dude Neal Mcdonough in S3, as ridiculous as he was.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I appreciated the very quick Peter Greene spot in episode one, and after watching the Shield twice and loving everything about it, maaaaaan, Walton Goggins is loving incredible.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Powers Boothe's little talking to God routine during his conversation with Hearst in the season 2 finale means so much more to you if you've seen the movie where Boothe played Jim Jones.

I didn't even know this existed and now must watch it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

davidspackage posted:

Oh God, now I remember Nick Offerman clutching his penis.

Wait, what?

Also, I forget how Cy killed Kristen Bell's character. I just remember it was brutal. What did he do?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Laterite posted:

Cy killing Kristen Bell's character is one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen on TV or in movies.

E: Maybe that scene in Bone Tomahawk. You know the one.

Do you have kids? If so, don't watch (or rewatch) Oz. I've seen the show all the way through probably 5-6 times, and what Hank Shillinger does to Beecher's son, and what Coyle confesses to are probably my top two disturbing things from any tv show.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

*sigh* time for another rewatch.

Yeah, same. It's been over 5 years.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

They should wait another 15 years after this movie to release a Grumpy Old Men style comedy movie featuring Bullock and Swearengen.

"Bullock, this milk's got motherfucking chunks in it, ya fuckin' cocksucker!"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

kaworu posted:

Yeah, totally - I remember I was one of the folks who perpetuated that meme, sadly, it was... poo poo, ten years ago here on TV IV that was actually a fairly amusing meme. As I recall it was from Dexter, and it was basically a silly meme from Season 5 or 6 when the show went from "quite good!" (season 4 with Keith Carradine and John Lithgow) to utter crap (season 5 I think with Julia Stiles) extremely quickly. One of the things was Angel or Dexter using "an old PI trick" which was really a farfetched scenario/deus ex machina-type writing and doing a really lovely job of trying to hang a lampshade on it, so "old PI trick" became shorthand for any example of incredibly lazy writing

As someone who followed every post-S4 Dexter thread religiously (they were the ONLY good things about the show, and they were beautiful), the 'old PI trick' was how Peter Weller's detective character, who was working on the side for Quinn, got in a fender-bender with, I think, Julia Styles' character, Lumen. He did this to get her information via trading insurance poo poo and whatnot.

He explained it to Quinn as it being an 'old PI trick', and the thread, rightfully, lost their collective mind on it. After that, everything was an old PI trick, except whatever it was, was dumb. "Getting probated for nazi sympathizing is an old PI trick", for example.

It was also the last time I updated my custom title. I was watching whatever season of dexter this was (pretty sure it was 5, I know that was the Lumen one, just can't remember if that was also Peter Weller's season) the same time I was watching Community. Britta accidentally called Robocop 'Rowboat Cop'. Since Peter Weller is most famously known for being Robocop, I just ran with it and donated to the forums for this lame title, and I'd change it, but I can't think of anything that I'd actually want, so now I'm stuck with something that I barely wanted in the first place.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, it's called "The Walking Dead".

And that's a couple levels above Dexter :eyepop:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Ironically that show would have benefitted greatly from getting cancelled oh around 3 seasons ago.

Apparently not according to HBO.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

Nobody wants more Joss Whedon

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

he’s in orange is the new black too

Yeah, I saw that picture posted, and thought 'Yep, that's Healey'. I'm not saying that OitNB is a great, must-watch show or anything, but anyone surprised at that pic obviously hasn't seen it.

To be fair, when I first saw him in as Healey, I was similarly shocked, so yeah :shobon:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Astroman posted:

I've been hoping this is a backdoor pilot since it was announced. HBO needs a new prestige series, and it can share elements and sets with Westworld (assuming that show will have anything to do with cowboys anymore).

Didn't the Westworld set burn up in the fires last year?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I need to do a rewatch soon; I remember bits and pieces here and there, but the only thing I can specifically recall is that by the end of season 3, I felt that Hearst was a goddamned dangerous fuckhead.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ChairmanGoesWoof posted:

And he had a recurring role as a Russian mobster in the short lived detective series 'Life'. Along with about a bus load of other actors who were in Deadwood, Justified, or both.

Is that the one with Damien Lewis, and that godawful Prince of Persia episode?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

kaworu posted:

I also wanted to add that I also *truly* love the Finale of Season 2 - "Boy the Earth Speaks To." Arguably the single greatest hour of television ever produced, in my opinion. It's right up there with Episode 8 of Lynch's reboot of Twin Peaks "Gotta Light?", or the episode "Ozymandias" from Breaking Bad, or the season 3 finale of Battlestar Galactica. or the Season 3 finale of Lost.... And so on. Off the top of my head those are probably the top 5 best hours of television I've had the pleasure to watch in the last twenty years.

What are your thoughts on the last two episodes of The Shield?

Or the ending to Season 5? :smith:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Loved the movie, even though I hadn't rewatched the series yet. I was talking to my wife after we finished watching it and realized that the last time we saw the show, when we originally binged it, was 2013.

Watching the movie only made me want to rewatch everything more, so that's what I'm planning on doing.

Also, Anna Gunn needs a starring role in something. Seth's wife, who puts up with his (admittedly not too bad) poo poo, Walt's wife, who puts up with a monumental amount of poo poo... She definitely should full-on star in something as the main character and not just someone's wife.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jackapol posted:

I dunno, if I was a child actor from Deadwood I'd stay as far as gently caress from any production with Jeffery Jones in it. I mean he might have gotten the barest of passes for being found out during the making of the show and contracts and whatnot, but over a decade out and you go out of your way to rehire the known pedophile?? The gently caress Deadwood movie, he added nothing to the overall story but to remind everyone, oh yeah there's the known child sex offender that they went out of their way to rehire. Christ his pointless presence sunk so much of my goodwill for this like a stone, just the minor point of not hiring the pedophile for a minor scene would have been much preferred.

Other than that a fantastic close to one of the best shows made, au revoir yah loving cocksuckers.

Can't just blame the Deadwood movie... He was first busted in 2002, and while it might have been filmed in 2003, season 1 was released in 2004. :stare:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I was absolutely convinced that Titus Owelliver was either Irish or at least from England, both from his work in Sons of Anarchy (his work, though not necessarily his character, was a bright spot in poo poo show) and how it, to me at one or two points in Deadwood, sounded like a brit trying too hard to do a old time southwestern accent.

Nah, dude's from Maine.

Also, I have not seen Bosch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

withak posted:

You should see Bosch.

I've still got big (good) feelings about The Shield, is that going to get in the way of me enjoying Bosch? They seem similarly themed.