Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Tell your god to ready for blood!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I still rewatch Rome like once a year and even in 2019 it still looks incredible in HD

Just like Deadwood - everything about the production of that show was ahead of it's time

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

The only complaint I have about Rome is that with the exception of Pullo's arena battle, the fight scenes suck rear end and are awkwardly shot. The worst is when Mark Antony and Octavian have a fist fight and it looks like two geriatric men pretending to pummel each other. The big battle in season 2 looks super cheap with obvious cut and and paste of the same 40 dudes over and over again

Yeah they had no budget left for the battle scenes and it's really sad. There's a good series on youtube called History Buffs that goes into detail about Rome and talks about the budget issues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDTmgHCVWgg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz8WWIz_a-I

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Was not expecting Colter Wall to show up in the background of the Trailer but that's awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l4gdhPqh3E

His voice is unreal

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I've seen multiple trailers now that have actual footage and I still can't believe this movie exists and is releasing soon

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

quote:

Shaughnessy: "I'll not have vile affections, or uncleaness, on these premises. Find my specific meaning at Romans 1:24-6."

Calamity Jane: [drawing over Shaughnessy's biblical quote placard] "gently caress yourself, with a fist-punch up your rear end, today at the present moment!" [punches Shaughnessy in the gut]

My favorite Jane quote - well the top one of many

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Ian McShane's talents have been wasted most of his career. Remember his one episode of Game Of Thrones? Him trying his best to make American Gods watchable? That pirates movie? It goes on and on. At least the John Wick series is pretty good.

I'm thankful that Deadwood exists for many reasons but letting McShane shine in something that is actually quality is definitely among the top of them.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The day they take Deadwood, Rome and The Wire off of Prime is the day I stop paying for prime

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Still can't believe this movie exists and is happening soon

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The movie was amazing and I'm so glad it exists.

One of the two Hearst guys pull off the murder made me pause and say "What the gently caress.. Patrick Swayze is dead!" Turns out, to my surprise, that Patrick Swayze has a brother named Don that when you put him in makeup and facial hair looks crazy close to how his brother looked right before he got really sick. That was a weird discovery.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 2, 2019

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

fawning deference posted:

I thought Sam Fields' dying words to Bullock was one of my favorite scenes in the whole series.

Yeah that was an amazing scene. I also loved that after years and years of being more or less a complete drunken fuckup Jane finally got her hero moment, and she got her girl. I was very happy to see her story turn out that way.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

There are no truly happy endings in Deadwood - we've known this for over a decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

quote:

The bald contempt of it. Why not come out five abreast, cavorting and taunting - "E.B. was left out. E.B. was left out." Cocksuckers. oval office-lickers. I'll make you filthy gestures. Public service was never my primary career.