Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Is there any good example of what the actual swearing should have been like in that period? I cant imagine the filthy-mouthed miners being satisfied with "dang" and "tarnation" after watching Deadwood. The fuckin cocksuckin just rolls off their tongues so well it's almost poetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Yep, I was gonna mention Game of Thrones, too, but "they made a whole Deadwood village" is how I always think of it when a show spends a ton of money on their scenery and sets to make everything look authentic. One of the reasons I'm not optimistic about the Pratchett Night Watch show is that I don't think you can pull it off without creating a whole Deadwood village that they aren't going to want to pay for.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Quixote is Spanish, so it's "key ho tey." Quixotic is an English word created by mashing the Spanish word and an English suffix so you can pronounce it however the hell you want because it will never make sense because both parts come from different languages.

This blew my mind.

kaworu posted:

cool stuff

I want to hear more of this, if you'd like to share. I just did a rewatch a couple months ago and I was amazed at how many cool moments I remember were packed into that first season, but I don't get much of the Civil War context aside from Racist Steve and Hostetler. I don't think I've ever noticed Al's picture of Lincoln, or thought about where the characters are supposed to hail from. I guess people from Montana fought for the union? What was so utterly horrifying about the Civil War, anyway?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Okay, well, yes, war sucks and people die and you all live in close proximity before and after. I was really asking why kaworu felt the need to use so many scary adjectives and how the horror of it influenced Deadwood, because I don't know poo poo about the Civil War besides what I learned in school. (Slaves bad, Lincoln good, Union Generals incompetent, etc.)

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Thanks for the responses, you guys are fantastic. Up until now I had always thought of WWI as the first war where modern technology really turned up the death toll -- I'd always pictured Civil War battles as basically the same as the ones in the early 1800s, where people stand in lines with inaccurate, slow-to-load guns, fire a volley or two, and one side ends up routing and running away or surrendering. I could swear I'm remembering a line from elementary school about how more people died on the march than in actual battles, but maybe that was the American Revolution or some other war. I didn't think very many people typically died in a battle till the 1900s at least.

What was it that killed so many people? Doing a quick google, I see that the Gatling gun had just been invented "to reduce the size of armies and so reduce the number of deaths by combat and disease, and to show how futile war is." I'm guessing that was a big part, combined with railroads to bring more people to the battles?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

One of the things I loved was how they made such a distinction between Tolliver and Swearengen. Swearengen was so much more aboveboard and obviously criminal, but he really wasn't that bad a guy in comparison. Sure, everyone knew if you crossed him he might have his boys kill you and feed you to the pigs, or he might try to con you out of a sweet mining stake, and he didn't have the most progressive take on women's rights, but in the end he just wanted to make money selling pussy and running tables and keep everyone else out of his business. Cy ran the upscale whorehouse, though, so he wasn't ever as blatantly murderous as Swearengen, but he was so much more sadistic and vicious deep down.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

fawning deference posted:

It's a perfect representation of a classic problem of moral philosophy. If you were in his position, do you really think you would be 100% dispassionate and sacrifice someone who is very close to him who everyone knows in the camp or a total stranger? We would all do this given the option. We would all kill a stranger instead of our significant other or parent or brother or best friend if it had to be one of the two with no other option.

It's not quite the analogy you're looking for, because it wasn't like Hearst was saying "Either give me Trixie or give me some other random blonde girl." I'm sure I'd pick the random girl in that situation, sure. It's quite a bit more evil to hear Hearst wants to kill Trixie and think "Hey, that new girl that has nothing to do with it? She looks a bit like Trixie. Let's go kill her and hope Hearst can't tell the difference."

e: I meant Swearengen was not a bad guy in comparison to Tolliver, by the way. He's still a con man and pimp and a cold pragmatical bastard who'd kill you if he thought there was money in it and he could get away with it.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 15, 2018

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

It sucks that Luck kept killing a bunch of horses. I actually liked that show.

Same! I really liked the first season, but they apparently couldn't even film a scene at a diner without half a dozen horses snapping their legs.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

turtleface posted:

The AT&T folks that have taken over have said that they want to up the quantity of shows HBO produces so there is a glimmer of hope...

Uh, I don't see that as a good thing. Sounds like an avalanche of cheaply-produced "HBO Originals" where they greenlight ten episodes for anyone who can wave a story idea in front of their face.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Hahaha d'ya ever think, Bullock, of not going straight at a thing?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

kaworu posted:

I always thought that like, the "slightly British" accent he uses in Deadwood was probably a better indication of how fairly well educated Americans who grew up in cities (Swearengen was from Chicago unless I'm mistaken) probably sounded a bit like at the time - a hint of something like Received Pronunciation from school most likely, but an accent that's fairly close to standard Midwestern American English today, at least in Al's case.. Whereas a fella like Ellsworth or most of the Deadwood denizens would have mongrel regional accents from all sorts of places.

This is pretty consistent, too - educated politicians (Commisioner Jarry for example) as well as, say, Geologists (Francis Wolcott) spoke with a more measured and "British" sounding voice despite being American through-and-through, but in truth I'm fairly sure it was just the way that any proper gentleman who went through schooling spoke at that time, whether they were British or American.

I always thought Ellsworth was just using "British" as an insult to describe any sort of sophistication, the same way they'd call you a "celestial" and wouldn't be too concerned if you were from China or Thailand or wherever. An example of the ignorance of the frontier that Ellsworth says he's got a British accent when he really means "You have a large vocabulary and don't speak with a folksy twang."

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 23, 2019

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Where is itttttt

I still have my vestigial subscription to HBO NOW til next week.

e: oh lol it's on the movies page. There's not even a link from the Deadwood TV series page I don't think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

How did Alma outbid George Hearst? I didn't think she was anywhere near Hearst rich.