Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

W. Earl Brown, yeah he is. He tweeted about it a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm doing a Deadwood rewatch (in light of the TV movie news) and also happened to watch the X-Files episode "Beyond the Sea" and goddamn, Brad Dourif is up there as one of the most underrated actors. Dude's downright captivating and Cochran is a great character. Seeing him do a quick little dance on his way from one patient to another during Ellsworth and Garret's wedding festivities was a pretty nice moment.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

kaworu posted:

Holy poo poo - even Jeffrey Jones is returning as Merrick.

I thought he had like, totally and completely quit acting. That's honestly a surprise he's like the one guy I'd think wouldn't be back for uh, various reasons. I guess Deadwood was actually the one thing he did after his conviction of note, though. He even has an attractive teenage male apprentice according to IMdB credits...:v:

That's quite something. His personal life aside (challenging as that is), Merrick was one of my favorite characters on the show and I thought his performance was really solid, as was the case with most of the cast. He had his questionable moments but overall came across as one of the more decent people in Deadwood.. ironically.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I remember the original plan way, way back when was to have two feature-length films after season 3 wrapped up.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Carnivale was so good and I'm glad it's finally on HBOGo/Now, but I wish it had kept going.

Also, why isn't From the Earth to the Moon anywhere? :confused:

Are Band of Brothers and The Pacific? If not, it could be a thing with Dreamworks and/or Playtone. I don't recall seing those two on HBO Go way back when I had a subsciption.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yeah, they've both been on for a while now. FtEttM is the only miniseries I can't find anywhere besides my family's ~ancient~ VHS copy.

That's weird it's not on there. I saw it on Blu-Ray just the other day and thought about picking it up at some point.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

You're right - it may have been the DVD box set and not Blu-Ray. I don't know about the format but I'd wager it's the original 4:3. And I thought the effects were totally fine for a tv miniseries and held up okay when I last watched the show.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Really? I remember they weren't exactly Apollo 13 level good but I don't recall seeing anything that bad.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Goddamn that was terrific. Of course now I want more. That final line was about as perfect as Deadwood gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just posting to re-state how good this was. It's kind of only sinking in now. Rarely I don't have my expectations met with at least some disappointment that I have to come to terms with but I was just genuinely so impressed with this. And I'm one of the folks who watched with subtitles, not only because the dialogue is so drat dense in a wonderful Shakespearean way, but also because I'm not a native speaker and subtitles help me learn the language and also to appreciate Milch's writing which is wall-to-wall superb.