Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’ve been wanting some good Deadwood discussion, and didn’t want to clutter up the Wire thread with it, but I am too lazy and uncreative to make a new OP.

Also, since this show ended 17 years ago, and it was always very much a niche thing, I was afraid that any attempt at a new thread might die on the vine.

So I am bumping this, because I’m doing a rewatch, for the first time in several years.

It always struck me that one thing the show was about was the old world/old ways being dragged kicking and screaming into the new world, and during my rewatch I was really struck by this E.B. Farnum quote.

The context is, the town leadership, such as it is, is sitting down talking about what needs to happen going forward, and E.B. says this:

quote:

We’ll provide a few services, and use the lion’s share of revenues to pay the bribes. More than providing services to ‘em, taking peoples’ money is what makes organizations real… be they formal, informal, or temporary!

It just really struck me how accurate this quote was, in describing future society.

There are a lot of things we can discuss about this show, it’s very deep and rich in terms of dialogue and themes.

So, any hoopleheads, cocksuckers, or perambulators want to join in, feel free. First bottle’s on me.

I’m on season three now and somehow I’d totally forgotten Brian Cox and Omar Gooding showed up in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Rappaport posted:

Dan just viciously beating that enforcer, with the eye bit.

I just watched that one a while ago. Holy loving poo poo.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’ve been collecting my favorite quotes and dialogue scenes. This one made me LOL to beat the band, and I had to rewatch the scene several times.

It’s from season one, Doc finds Jane leaning face-first into a wall, drunker than poo poo.

Doc Cochrane: I been lettin’ it go. But if the idea is for you to drink more and more until I say something… I am hereby officially saying, I wish you would stop loving’ drinking.

Jane *extremely slurred speech* I have NO fuckin’ ideas as far as you say one fuckin’ thing… about anything I do or don’t. Far as… drinking… or where I stand or nap, or any other fuckin’ thing concerning me! Or go, or leave, or don’t, or when…

Doc Cochrane: Alright, Jane.

Jane: …so you can go gently caress yerself, and don’t try and hasten anyone anywhere, ‘cuz everyone follows their own fuckin’ pace, and don’t try and loving’ hasten them!

Robin Weigert was simply incredible in this show!

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 28, 2023

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I finally convinced my wife to watch Warrior with me, after I loved it so much watching it by myself two years ago. I sold it to her by saying it feels like a cross between Banshee and Deadwood (two shows we watched together and both loved), and she is hooked, four episodes in.

Warrior isn't nearly as much of a masterpiece as Deadwood, but it is fantastic. It is set in San Francisco during the same era, and deals a lot with classism, racism, and xenophobia, particularly between the established Irish working class and recent Chinese immigrants, the police, and the wealthy ruling class exploiting them all.

Oh yeah. I’ve not seen the whole show, only parts of the second season, but it was great. It was originally supposed to be a vehicle for Bruce Lee as I recall, then after his death it got shelved for 40 years.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

One of my favorite moments of the show was in s1e4 “Here Was a Man” which is of course most famous for being the one where McCall kills Hickok, and ending with the dude riding into town whooping and hollering and swinging around the decapitated head of a Native American, and the overall feeling that the situation in the camp is descending into chaos.

But another key thing that happens is Andy riding into camp sick, and the moment I was referring to, is Doc Cochran’s examination of him.

Andy complains of horrible back pain, but of course Doc knows enough to see he’s suffering from the early symptoms of smallpox.

But since the word “plague” is verboten, because nobody wants to cause a huge panic, Doc, in the presence of Tolliver, handles it thusly:

Doc: (hesitatingly) I guess… it’s his back he landed on, when he fell.

Andy: My back is split and broken!

Cy: I don’t know what he landed on. Who said he fell?

Doc: Course… if little pussy sores rise up on his trunk and face… more likely he’s got other trouble.

And Andy’s moans, followed by Doc’s constraint refrain “I’m gonna give you somethin’ to ease that”

It also has the murder of Alma’s husband, an event that sets a bunch of things in motion, one whose consequences reverberate throughout the rest of the series.

As well as Hickok’s “Listen to the thunder” speech to Alma, and of course, his great monologue that ends with “Will you let me go to hell the way I want to.”

And finally, this great scene, which is unfortunately incomplete in the this clip, where McCall is getting himself worked up at Hickok. And simultaneously showing what a moron he is, by trying to use the same insult Hickok used against him, and completely botching it.

https://youtu.be/X3hEFkZxu9I

Overall I think if it’s not my single favorite episode, it’s definitely top-three

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Seth and Sol gently assuring the preacher that he's with friends when he was losing his mind was so goddamn heartbreaking, gently caress.

That was a fantastic scene

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Raivin posted:

100% convinced Welliver almost started corpsing but reeled it in and that's the take they used.

Haha, I never noticed his reaction! I think you’re right.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

thepokey posted:

Which is something I never quite got the first time around - what exactly is the relationship between Cy and Joanie? I didn't quite get what their background was, it seemed way more complex than Al/Trixie

I believe the official backstory was that she was pimped out (and also abused) by her own father, along with her sisters, and Cy literally bought her from her father.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah watching interviews with him, he's got a real charisma and sense of humor beyond the kind of superficial charm you'd get from somebody providing superficially clever rote talk show responses; it doesn't surprise me at all that he excels in comedy.

He’s always great on the late night talk shows. He’s got a very quick wit.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Sanderson to me is like the epitome of a character actor. He’s got something like 130 credits going back to the late 70s.

But he’ll always be E.B., to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I didn’t know Welliver did impressions, but theee are great

https://youtu.be/fS_lE_AcD2k?si=bqzmq-m2SSWFTNoz