Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Where have you seen Olyphant confirmed? Last time I checked there was no confirmation with any news source and he was the only one not listed on the imdb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

HBO said so on their website thingy. He said he wanted to do it and hang out with the old gang again...what else does he have to do? :shrug:

Just saw it on imdb.

Color me cuntstruck! :swoon:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

New Deadwood...my prayers have been answered

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Troy Queef posted:

Milch said he actually filmed a pilot with period swearing, but when he showed it to a test audience they all laughed at some of the words they said back then. In order to keep the shock value of a lawless mining camp intact, he fuckin' decided to have these cocksuckers swear like fuckin' sailors.

This needs to be a DVD extra post loving haste.

I really enjoy that actor in everything I’ve seen him in, including T:SCC.

If anyone hasn’t seen The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, I highly recommend!

I enjoyed him in Deadwood, Deadwood, T:SCC, T:SCC, and T:SCC myself. He's also the best thing about Fear the Walking Dead (besides Strand).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I loved how Al constantly felt the need/duty to reign-in Bullock’s irrationality w/r/t Alma and her myriad problems.
:allears:

The man was cuntstruck.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Hexel posted:

all this thing is missing is a full season and this guy

I really, really hope this will be a backdoor pilot for a new series.

Also besides Cy and Richardson not returning due to actor deaths, Titus Wellver will not be returning as Adams due to other commitments. Which sucks, because he was cool.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

RIght now HBO is struggling to keep up with the rest of Prestige TV, a genre they pretty much invented. It so happens that one of their biggest current successes is a western/scifi show. Milch hasn't done well since Deadwood ended. A lot of the cast is free and dying to work with him again. HBO is already renting the sets of the western town for part of the year for production of Westworld. And I'm pretty sure the execs who gutted the budget/said Deadwood cost too much are long gone.

That's why I'm hoping this is a backdoor pilot and testing the waters for a full series return. The toughest sells would be for Olyphant and McShane who are currently on other shows but if they could make it work schedule-wise, we could see a full season of say 10 episodes in 2020.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Solice Kirsk posted:

Justified was great and had little mini reunions of Deadwood actors each season.

How about this:

New full season of Deadwood. Walton Goggins has an arc. :aaaaa:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Alright, fine, you all got me to rewatch Deadwood after a decade. I guess I wasn't planning on doing anything productive for a while.

I seriously think I need to before the movie.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Also there's the surreal aspect of the war occurring at home which fascinates us. Like the UK, and unlike a lot of the Middle East, Africa, Asia, South America, and a lot of Europe, we have no conception of our safe country being a bloody warzone in living memory. We are so removed from it, we can't fathom our safe cities and towns being reduced to utter rubble, tanks going down our streets, etc.

That picture of Richmond is a good example. Now that's just some nice safe small rural town.

The Battle of Nashville looked like this:

Now it looks like this:

It's one thing to send troops over to fight and they come home. It's another to have the war in your town. No wonder a lot of people headed west. For example, there was a minor exodus of people from places like Tennessee going to Texas in the decades following the war. They wanted to leave that all behind and start over. Deadwood would be an example of this.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Al was also always looking forward for the good of the camp (as it aligned with his self interests). It would have been easy to keep making what he was making in a lawless town, but he was willing to go the harder route and push for law, govt, and legitimacy over some canned loving peaches.

I think Cy would have been happy to stay the upscale whorehouse in an unincorporated territory with no rules.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I’m going to be honest: part of me still didn’t believe this was real until today...
:allears:

Same.

Also, that doesn't even look like Olyphant. When I first saw the headlines and the pics, I thought it was miscaptioned and that was some new character! I was wondering if Old Bullock would just look like Raylan but NOPE!

And is Al...in Denver? :ohdear: HISTORICAL SPOILERS!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

Rome also bombed in England so the BBC pulled out of co-production duties. Blame the BBC.

The sad thing was the producers were supposed to be working on a remake of "I, Claudius" with HBO next. Could have used the same sets and quite a few of the same actors. Would have been great, but it's dead now. :(

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Steve the Drunk is a general (of the non friend of the family variety) on Project Blue Book and boy has he aged!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Hakkesshu posted:

Sidestepping all that this is literally the first I've heard of Project Blue Book, is it good

I'm only a few eps in and it's punching above it's weight. A pleasant surprise. Also Laura Mennell from Alphas and Haven is in it. And Neal McDonough is always good.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Yeah, he was the the original detective who got the Marie Fontaneux case when she disappeared. They kidnap him in episode 7 and make him confess.

Have they said this is for sure the ending of Deadwood? If this is well received could they restart the series?

I've been hoping this is a backdoor pilot since it was announced. HBO needs a new prestige series, and it can share elements and sets with Westworld (assuming that show will have anything to do with cowboys anymore).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

LividLiquid posted:

I'm frankly shocked that Jane's actor didn't go on to star in her own show or get big in movies. I never see her anywhere apart from like one episode of Lost.

The Hoopleheads out in the loving world don't appreciate good acting.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Dazerbeams posted:

It only just dawned on me upon rewatch that McCall and Walcott are the same actor. I feel like an idiot.

Same actor also played 3 characters on Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

pyrotek posted:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/05/27/david-milchs-third-act

That is an article/interview with David Milch describing his current mental and physical difficulties. Pretty scary stuff.

Hearing such a erudite and intelligent man describe in great detail the day by day loss is some Flowers For Algernon poo poo.

It is probably my personal worst fear. People say "oh, if I was paralyzed or stuck in a bed just kill me" and I could care less if that happened to me, as long as I had my mind, as long as I could read and watch tv and go online. To lose my mind, slowly, would be the worst fate I can envision.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I've been rewatching the entire show with my dad in anticipation of the movie, and while I don't think we'll be quite up to the end by Friday, we did just finish Season 2. Watching that finale, it blew me away how much plot happened in that one episode:

-Hearst arriving
-Wolcott getting his end
-EB selling the hotel to Hearst, followed by Hearst's "renovations"
-Al manipulating Hearst into ending the war among the Chinese and killing San Francisco Cocksucker Lee
-Adams proving his worth to Al both in the office and in the street, and making friends with Dan
-Alma and Ellsworth getting married
-Jane and Joanie becoming even better friends
-Bullock and Al successfully snowing over Jarry into a Yankton alliance on their terms
-Tolliver attempting(?) to blackmail Hearst
-Tolliver getting stabbed

The way it was all intercut by the wedding was masterful, reminding me of The Godfather. That is probably one of the best season finales in the history of tv.

I'm glad I rewatched because there's a lot of major stuff I just forgot, like William dying, Andy Cramed coming back as a minister, etc.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I loved the whole subtle thing where he was crushing on Alma, and his antler/deer/forest spirit worship. The evolution of her picking up random antlers from a guy selling them as she walked by, distractedly handing them to him and Richardson keeping them, to him carrying them, hiding them from her, and worshiping the deer trophy with them was hilarious but also strangely deep.

It's sad he died IRL and won't be in the movie.

Powers Booth was also so great as Cy. It'll be nagging at me the whole time I watch the movie wondering what his part in it would have been.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

kaworu posted:

I like to imagine that Cy would have fully given himself over to The Good Lord Jesus in some evangelistic way as a method to scam people. I could see him getting into the preaching business and passing around the basket and making a living off of that corruptly. Actually, if Andy Cramed is coming back (and I don't know if he is) that would probably be a better way for him to wind up...

Oh Cy going evangelical would have been fantastic!

Well said on the rest too.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Or to the 24th century where he became the shady starbase proprietor Groppler Zorn.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

I always wonder how he was able to learn to speak in that way while still being dumb as a sack of rocks.

"I am imagining the pond from which you sprung. I am filling it with rocks. I am holding your gills shut so you cannot breathe."

Just finally got around to watching the movie with my Dad for Father's Day. We'd been rewatching the show over the past few months and just finally finished up the last bit of Season 3 tonight and the movie. Very glad I rewatched so close to seeing the movie, there was a lot I'd forgotten. I was also struck by how jarring that last episode was, just a down ending with Hearst seeming to ride off a winner.

The Movie was great, everything I was hoping for. It was definitely missing Cy and Adams, but everyone else got some great bits. Knowing to look out for him, I caught Dillahunt but absolutely did not clock Con Stapleton til he spoke at the wedding. No doubt because of his normal sized hat. I do admit I missed Langrishe more than I thought I would, having so recently seen him in my viewing of S3. That early scene with Dan and Johnny in their customary spots at the bar was fantastic.

Seeing everyone's concern for Al was great as it was with his kidney stone. Even loving Wu giving him the tea. Sol and Trixie's relationship continues to be the best. Seth, was much less seethingly angry than a decade ago, more like Raylan as someone said. The two Marshall parts Olyphant has played being so similar is not lost on him:

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/deadwood-movie-review-recap-milch-sepinwall-842270/

quote:

Movies and TV shows tend to be shot out of order. As luck would have it, though, I visited the set on consecutive days when consecutive scenes were filmed: Seth and Sol preventing Samuel’s lynching, and Seth confronting Hearst in the thoroughfare with Dan and Johnny backing his play. After the first few takes of the latter scene, director Daniel Minahan gave Olyphant freedom to try alternate versions of Bullock’s scripted reply to Hearst threatening to come for him: “Expect you will, Senator.” Olyphant tried a few that neither of them liked as much as the original line, then noted that if this was Justified, Raylan would say, “Let me know, Senator. I’ll circle the date.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Watch through this all this for the first time over the past few month or two and I don't think there's ever been a stronger cast of characters on television
it's a real shame there will never be any more of it because I'd watch any one of these characters doing anything at all

I'd love for Milch to write even some short stories about a few of the characters, or cover stuff he wanted to on the show but didn't get to. Things like The Fire, what happened to Cy and Adams (and what Cy's part in the movie would have been and where his arc would have ended up if Powers Boothe hadn't died). Or prequel things--I would kill to hear the story of how Al and Langrishe first met and kindled their friendship, because they are such different people but get along so well.