Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Al Swearingen passing that loving stone. Dan just viciously beating that enforcer, with the eye bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've still got big (good) feelings about The Shield, is that going to get in the way of me enjoying Bosch? They seem similarly themed.

Bosch is a very different kind of cop show. Harry (Hieronymus) Bosch is very much a Good Guy, and Titus Welliver really delivers on that characterization. He goes up against and sometimes finds himself allying with bad and or corrupt figures, but his Big Deal is bringing down the worst scum of this Earth.

Each season is its own crime story, so you know, might want to prepare for a possible binge session or two. I really can't say much else without spoiling stuff. But Harry is a Good Dude in a world that doesn't really respect that.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

Felt to me like they liked McShane's performance so much they needed bigger heels so they could turn him face.

I kept trying to phrase this post earlier and didn't really feel happy with it, but all the same: Al is presented, in my viewing which was a time ago, as a somewhat humane monster. Cy is definitely a monster-monster of a human being.

Al keeps "the gimp" around (his wording), Al knew about not shoving metal objects in someone's mouth when they're having a seizure, and the Doc knew that he could at least talk with Al about things.

Al facilitates violence (oh dear goodness me does the goon watching the show from the beginning have a good slash horrific time ahead of them with this one) and presumably forced prostitution, so he's no role model. But one of the points of Deadwood is that it's an awful place that grinds people down. That isn't an excuse for Al, Al was already a bad guy from the start, but that's kind of Bullock's story. Everything keeps going to poo poo, he tries to stem that horrible tide but Deadwood the town keeps being a very lawless, terrible place. And then we get Hearst, who represents a very different kind of evil.

I will also admit to being a massive Ian McShane fan, I would watch him read a phonebook because he is a hoot.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Deadwood as a place seems fairly hopeless. People like Bullock are repeatedly beat down by what they cannot control, despite Bullock being the law-man and all. Bullock and Sol don't necessarily become "worse" as people, but they adapt to a lovely situation best they can. I guess Bullock is a mean son of a bitch from the get-go, but the environment of Deadwood certainly enables him to act out on his worst impulses.

And Dan probably would've been a stone-cold killer in other places too, but what he does in that fight, the show very explicitly high-lights that this is a level of depravity and horror that only happens out there on the frontier.

Several early plot-lines in the show revolve around people doing awful things because they can there in Deadwood, too, like basically everything around Alma. Which involves Al being a monster too, but as you say, he is portrayed as mellowing out as the seasons develop. Sort of.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Olyphant was p. funny in The Good Place, but I like to think he was just being himself there

I also liked him in Mandalorian, but that wasn't all comedy.