Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

YAAAAAAAAAAAY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f31PLcCXD0U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I am so loving happy about this, I loved this show and the ending felt so abrupt, and I'd long ago given up on any kind of extension.
The best part of this is that unlike many of the properties that were brought back for another run after getting cancelled, Deadwood ended like poo poo, so if it ends like poo poo again, it's a lateral move.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I always loved,"Half dying I am still better informed than you...."

Al pissing out the kidney stone was loving amazing television.
I've seen it four times on various rewatches and it never gets less traumatizing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

One of the things I miss most about this show is the fantastic music. And the choices of end credits tunes.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Tokelau All Star posted:

The fiddle in the main theme is so good, especially the double stops. Such a rich composition.
Absolutely.

Also, I love how the type of music being played determines whether the instrument is a violin or fiddle.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Quote-Unquote posted:

I'm rewatching as well. I love Calamity Jane.

EB: "Be brief!"
Jane: "BE hosed!"
I burned my fuckin' snatch!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ornithology posted:

Hahaha I hate when they make a point to say the name of the show or movie in the actual dialogue.
Welcome to fuckin' Deadwood.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Replacing loving Adams with Cletus Van Damme would be so loving amazing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

gently caress now I wanna rewatch The Shield again too
*fistbump

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

When I first started watching Deadwood on Netflix DVD in 2007 my first thought on seeing Olyphant on screen was "Hey, it's the scummy bad guy from The Girl Next Door!"
I thought "hey, it's that giant ham from Scream 2."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Go was such a fun film.
It's not Amway, J-Ru. It's confederated products!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

davidspackage posted:

Deadwood was the first thing I remember seeing him in, and now his English accent always sounds fake to me.
I have the same condition. See also: Hugh Laurie.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I always got the impression, whether this was true or not, that Swearingen was meant to be the antagonist of the show, but Ian was so loving likable even as a murderous rear end in a top hat that they had to invent Tolliver so we'd have somebody irredeemably worse than Al in play and we could go with the antihero schtick that's gold on camera and poison for society.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

fawning deference posted:

Al was doing what he needed to do to keep the camp in survival - he has a sort of abrasive approach (the *sigh* "god dammit" approach) to doing lovely things because he wishes he didn't need to do them. If it were up to him, he'd just be loving whores and drinking whiskey all day, but he sees himself as doing necessary evils to keep everything as peaceful as it can be. Again, that is not saying he is a good person, but he has ulterior motives which are rooted in his actual caring about the state of the camp and the people in it.
He had a little girl's family killed in the pilot, dude. And if memory serves, she was supposed to die too.

Again, I love characters like Al, and Al specifically especially, but decades of television portraying geniuses as assholes have convinced every rear end in a top hat who watches TV that they're a fuckin' genius. Call it the Rick and Morty effect.

Similarly, murderers and other unforgivable people with good intentions are enshrined above actual good people, because people who suck want to believe that they're only terrible for the general good.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

fawning deference posted:

I think we are talking past each other.
Understood.

I loves me some Al, but gently caress if it ain't hard to watch characters like him on TV now, knowing the effect it's had.

Archie Bunker never played on Nick at Night when I was watching it, so I've never seen All in the Family, but I'd wager a lot of folks feel the same way about him as I do about Al Bundy.

It's not that we were smart enough to understand satire and aren't now, or knew that portraying a thing isn't condoning that thing, as a culture. It's that we were never as smart as we thought we were.

Hence, y'know, Youtube turning people into Nazis.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Zane posted:

i agree the dark male anti-hero character type is an annoying prestige television phenomenon. on the other hand people like swearengen (basically patriarchal gangster strongmen) always tend to show up on lawless frontiers. it's a case of the myth being completely adequate to the reality for once.
It's also nice that it's far-removed enough from our time that people don't take it in as much as they would a Walter White or Don Draper.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

thepokey posted:

Same with the guy who turns up with the fake soap scam. Bullock is immediately like “oh yes! I know how to take care of this! I’m good at this!”
I can see I'm in good company, because in response to J-Ru's post, I went looking for this very clip, but the only one I could find is the follow-up that isn't very interesting.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Roman Reigns posted:

The Gem looks like it got a bit of an upgrade since we last saw it.
I wonder if it'll be a theater now like it was in real life.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Getting hunted by cajuns is an old PI trick.
This rings a bell. What's this from?

Cojawfee posted:

I don't want to be full PETA, but maybe if you are breeding an animal to the point that it is at great risk of fatal injury, don't do that.
PETA doesn't give a poo poo about animals. They care about attention and bilking gullible people with good hearts out of their money.

You don't see PETA at horse races, for instance, because the people who like horse racing wouldn't give a single gently caress about them and would move right the gently caress past without giving them a second thought.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

The Rowboat cop from Dexter.
I never watched Dexter. Was it regularly joked about on anything else?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Flight Bisque posted:

Also watching A New Hope, 3-PO and R2 are basically EB and Richardson.
This metaphor falls completely apart because Richardson actually was a simpleton and Artoo is smarter than Threepio.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Escobarbarian posted:

Richardson at amateur night made me lose my poo poo
I can't remember what he did. Can you jog my memory?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

:dance: ohboyohboyohboy :dance:

And pussy's half price for the next fifteen minutes!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm frankly shocked that Jane's actor didn't go on to star in her own show or get big in movies. I never see her anywhere apart from like one episode of Lost.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

What kind of cocksucker didn't rewatch the series in preparation?
I'm holed up in a hotel watching the marathon and eagerly anticipating the movie.

If I'm on the West Coast, does it air at 5 or is it delayed three hours?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Solice Kirsk posted:

Overnight in Gayville are ya?
I know we playfully throw around slurs from the show in this thread in the hopes we all mutually understand we know they're terrible in any other company, but this didn't feel playful. Kindly take it back or remind me when it was said in the show.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I had a whole-rear end vacation planned with lots of things to do to unwind after a trade show I worked through my damned birthday in May of 2019.

I made sure the motel I was gonna' be staying in had HBO for the release of the Deadwood movie that'd air during my stay. But then I checked in and they were marathonning the entire show in the lead-up to the movie and I wound up only leaving that motel for those three days to walk my dog.

I regret loving nothing. It's one of the best vacations I've ever had. Three days alone in a sleepy port town with my dog playing old King's Quest games and watchin' fuckin' Deadwood.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Just wanna take the opportunity again to remind everybody just how loving absolutely goddamn incredible the opening of Deadwood is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H1BjPmEBm0

:perfect:
Absolutely perfect. The music, the imagery, the editing, all of it.

I have a buddy whose hobby is AI upscales and remasters of old stuff and I'm gonna' ask him if he'll do Deadwood, but failing that, I hope he'll at least do the intro.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm shocked she's not a bigger deal.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I just had a table read for a flick I'm makin' and I snuck into the script Jane's "BE hosed!"

Got a big, albeit stolen, laugh.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

tomapot posted:

Absolutely. Pops into my head once in a while:

E.B. Farnum: Be brief.
Calamity Jane: Be hosed!
The preceding line in my thing is a patient character telling an impulsive one, "be nice." Once I'd written that, Jane's line popped into my head and I couldn't not do it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

withak posted:

God damnit knock it off, I don’t have time to rewatch Deadwood right now.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to fuckin' live.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Even all these years later I still randomly mutter,"I apologiiiiiiiiiiiiize......" to myself at various points :allears:
I only do this when I'm sick.

But I do this every time I'm sick.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I had to open a new tab when I was watching that last time. It's brutal.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Felt to me like they liked McShane's performance so much they needed bigger heels so they could turn him face.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gods, that rules. What a loving legend.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It is absolutely shocking to me how none of these people became huge deals after this show.

So I'll take comfort in the fact that they're all very well respected.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Somebody told me the other night that we're getting more Deadwood.

Is there something to that?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

God dammit. I knew we weren't. I knew what answer I'd get.

Why does this still hurt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I specifically asked if they meant the movie that came out four years ago and they said no.