Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah! I should really get around to watching season 3 one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He mentions in an earlier episode that his brother is epileptic as well, so you understand why he would have sympathy for the preacher. And that wink! That’s a great moment to focus on.

Started watching again from the beginning, up to 110, and there really are so many fantastic lines and small asides. Best dialogue in TV history still, probably.

This time around I’ve been reading Sepinwall’s reviews along with the series - https://uproxx.com/topic/deadwood-review/ - and Jim Beaver, the actor who plays Ellsworth, shows up in the comments for basically every episode to give his own recollections. It’s super interesting.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finished 111 and y’all know I rewound Al’s closing monologue to rewatch it like 3 times

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it’d be like tarnation and consarn it and all that

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
She was good in Dietland this year but it got cancelled

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That Corinthians quote really is one of the most important things in the whole series. It’s basically the entire mission statement behind the show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

loving Adams :mad:

God this is gonna be so good, I can't wait.

loving BOSCH

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Apparently Milch is involved to some degree on True Detective season 3, which has me tentatively excited even with the knowledge that apparently Nic Pizzolatto continues to have "creative differences" with his directors.

He co-wrote one episode.

I really, really liked John From Cincinnati. Underrated imo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Justified is a killer show even though s5 wasn’t great. And I agree that 2 and 4 are the best seasons.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like this point could be combative.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
“Next one’s coming faster” is one of my favourite lines ever. It’s so loving cool

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like Olyphant in The Girl Next Door

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

gently caress now I wanna rewatch The Shield again too

Wait for the blu-rays. Out on December 18th.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

The cool dude drug dealer (who turns out to not be quite as cool as he seems) from Go

Go was such a fun film.

I saw Go during an all-night mystery movie screening* back in August. I’d never heard of it before and it was surprisingly good, even if describing it to someone would make it sound like Pulp Fiction Jr.

* so the idea was we had no idea what any of them would be until they started. the other four were After Hours, The Odd Couple (dude had just died), Rollerball, and Rumble in the Bronx

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This whole conversation is really interesting. Thank you to all of you for it. As a Brit I really knew very little about the American Civil War outside of the broad strokes before just now basically.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You cocksuckers are doing a great job of teaching me things :)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I need to watch Sexy Beast. I love Glazer.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I can't imagine the pressure (and fun) they had in the writer's room for this new script... :sweatdrop:

I imagine it was probably just Milch by himself praying it would be good enough and make enough money to pay off his gambling debts

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

Same! I really liked the first season, but they apparently couldn't even film a scene at a diner without half a dozen horses snapping their legs.

In all fairness, horses are idiots who will die at the slightest provocation

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Back on my rewatch bullshit now I’ve finished watching all 2018 stuff. The s2 premiere is so goddamn funny and brutal and satisfying.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve definitely seen a reference to one actor who plays a dead character being around for filming

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got back on my rewatch and Tom Nuttall on the bike is such a beautiful moment

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Martha Bullock is such a sympathetic character man. I feel so bad for her :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got onto season 3 which I’ve never seen before and that Dority/Captain fight, jeeeesus

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dolly telling Al she supports Harry for sheriff because “Bullock yells at you” is one of the most heartbreakingly sweet scenes I’ve ever seen

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Richardson at amateur night made me lose my poo poo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He juggled!

Finished the series, definitely up there with the best shows of all time, even if s3 did have a tendency to become a weird shaggy dog story at times and spend too much time on some less interesting characters. Can’t wait for the movie!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought he just had affairs and poo poo.

If this becomes a thing while I’m asleep pretend I never made this post.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
he’s in orange is the new black too

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That was absolutely wonderful. I wish it had been another hour longer (or, y’know, ten hours) because a couple of parts were too rushed, but overall it was a fantastic send-off and more than deserving conclusion to one of the best shows ever.

Al being so weakened and useless throughout might be a disappointment to some, but I found it very moving, especially considering Milch clearly put so much of him and his own issues into it.

Hearst’s ending is perfect. We knew he would never get full comeuppance - he won’t be in that prison long at all - but seeing all the parts of the body (to quote the late reverend) come together to give him the kicking he deserves was extremely satisfying.

Fantastic arcs for Bullock, Trixie, and Jane. The moment where Jane credits her saving of Bullock to Bill’s spirit and Joanie tells her “That was you” was maybe my favourite individual moment of the entire thing (possibly tied with the final line?).

I’m so happy this finally got made.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress lol why even say that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Deadwood……:hmmyes: