Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Thanks thread, just finished a Justified rewatch and now I started a Deadwood re-watch because of you. Angry Timothy Olyphant is the best Timothy Olyphant. And here's a quote for you:

Al: What's your partner so mad about all the time?
Sol: He's not mad.
Al: He has a mean way of being happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Qmass posted:

fucken loot boxes, even then...

Deadwood streets were the ComicCon merch aisles of their time.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Troy Queef posted:

yeah, the occasional references to fire marshalls and fire safety in Season 3 were because much of Deadwood burned down in 1879

Right, I just watched the episode where Charlie Utter is busting chops about the chimney needing iron between it and the wood.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
I’ve been going through a piecemeal rewatch and I have three words: Swearengen kidney stones :cry:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

seaborgium posted:

Did anyone see Tom Nuddall? I loved that dude, and now I really need to finish my rewatch. I'm most of the way through season 3.

I just finished S3 Ep5, which had the brutal Dan & the Captain fight and the Hostetler and Steve livery deal, and Bullock leading Hearst off to jail by the ear. What a masterpiece of an episode.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Jerusalem posted:

They really hosed up not shipping me my boxset of Deadwood yet goddammit :argh:

If it doesn’t come in a miniature rough-cut wood coffin it’s a travesty.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

I don't think we know that much about what the original season 4 was going to feature except for the aforementioned fire and that Bullock was to lose the election and trash the gently caress out of the sheriff's office rather than concede.

Bullock not a sheriff is hard to imagine, what would he do with his searing rage. Kinda imagine it like Vic Mackey in the last scene of The Shield.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

AlternateAccount posted:

Justified is A+ and makes you wish Walt Goggins was in Deadwood somewhere.

Once Justified gets out of the first couple episodes of the first season it rolls along wonderfully. It pulls from the outstanding writing of Elmore Leonard and gives us some of the best co-star baddies in series TV; Jere Burns as Wynn Duffy, Damon Herriman as Dewey Crowe, Jeremy Davies as Dickie Bennett, Margo Martingdale as Mags Bennett, and Neal McDonough as Quarles just to name a few.

Probably one of the most satisfying series endings as well. I walked away very satisfied.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

LividLiquid posted:

I just had a table read for a flick I'm makin' and I snuck into the script Jane's "BE hosed!"

Got a big, albeit stolen, laugh.

Absolutely. Pops into my head once in a while:

E.B. Farnum: Be brief.
Calamity Jane: Be hosed!

Edit: I remember reading an interview with W. Earl Brown about that fight scene. Not sure if this is the same interview but there’s some great background here.

https://www.slashfilm.com/566739/w-earl-brown-deadwood-interview/

tomapot fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 9, 2023

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Here’s another one, Al asking Sol about Bullock: “He’s got a mean way of being happy”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Rappaport posted:

Bosch is a very different kind of cop show. Harry (Hieronymus) Bosch is very much a Good Guy, and Titus Welliver really delivers on that characterization. He goes up against and sometimes finds himself allying with bad and or corrupt figures, but his Big Deal is bringing down the worst scum of this Earth.

Each season is its own crime story, so you know, might want to prepare for a possible binge session or two. I really can't say much else without spoiling stuff. But Harry is a Good Dude in a world that doesn't really respect that.

The first season of Bosch I watched really hooked me, I was like "Oh so this is how a real detective works, following leads, digging through clues. None of this bullshit CSI, Criminal Minds stuff."