Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"Is there anything the mayor should know?"

"The name of another tailor."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The subtle language in this show is amazing. I was a teenager when I last watched it, so I didn't catch it at all. But there are so many subtle jabs and insults you simply won't get if you aren't paying attention. There's no way anyone could constantly come up with these phrases on the spot all the time in real life, but it works perfectly in this show. And the various levels at which people have authority. Al clearly has control over EB, so EB tries to emulate Al whenever he can over someone else to make himself seem important. My only gripe so far is that every time I see Merrick, I remember that the actor is a pedophile.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Al might be brutal, but he does care about people who deserve it. He might have been pissed off at the Reverend, but he killed him out of compassion, not malice.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
WTF that was Kristen Bell?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I never got into Justified because in the first episode he kept saying "It was justified" and that was too much for me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I finished Deadwood last night, I forgot how abruptly it ends.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Quixote is Spanish, so it's "key ho tey." Quixotic is an English word created by mashing the Spanish word and an English suffix so you can pronounce it however the hell you want because it will never make sense because both parts come from different languages.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They were using old style line formation tactics with accurate rifles instead of muskets.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Reverend Smith was a nurse during the war.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Also, like WWI, you'd have a bunch of people from the same area join up together and end up in the same unit. So a battle goes poorly and all of the men from one part of a state are dead.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Men would also like on the battlefield for hours or even days before someone could get to them. There was a story of wounded men lying in a field over night and that the men who survived had a mysterious blue glow about them. People thought that it was some sort of miracle, but it was actually some nematode or something that glows blue. It vomits up bacteria to digest things and then eats the bacteria to harvest what the bacteria digested. This bacteria killed the bad pathogens in the men's wounds and kept them alive.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Isn't that the nature of a big war machine? One method gets ingrained in the leadership. As long as they can make the numbers look good, everything looks like it's going great. It happened in Vietnam by fighting the same way WWII was fought. We killed a lot of communists so it seemed like things were going well. You can't grind your machine down against the other war machine when the other side doesn't have a war machine. There weren't factories and vast supply lines to bomb. It was just people in a jungle using weapons left by the previous occupying nation.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I can't imagine just sitting in my little farm house and then seeing two armies marching from either side and then they start shooting each other right in front of me. People would sometimes go to the battlefield to watch the war happen, not realizing how horrific it was about to be.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Are those cannon balls? Were they collected and put there, or is that where they laid after being fired?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I watched Gettysburg a couple years ago, it's pretty good.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Freeing an entire people because they are humans and not just because you're in love with one of them?

If you apply this absolute morality to everyone in history, they will all be monsters.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I like how EB desperately wants to be as important as Swearengen and gets frustrated when new people show up in town and quickly gain more power than him.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I can't believe he tried to play Hearst by pretending to have a letter when Hearst could easily just go check.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Jane can be annoying but I think she has some sympathetic moments. Like when she reveals that one guy that was into her thought she was a man and everyone else just said "Wow, that sucks. Anyway.."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Al definitely cared about people in the camp. He kept Jewel around because he knew she wouldn't make it in the real world, and he mercy killed the reverend. Cy found out his friend was sick and just threw him in the woods to die.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He wasn't even able to run a short con. And he became subservient as soon as someone more powerful (Hearst) showed up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did he have the girl's family killed? Even in private it seemed like he wanted to know who did it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The guy played by Nick Offerman I think was just doing road agent stuff on his own without Al knowing. That's why Al had them all killed, and then offered money for an Indian head to calm everyone down. Also, I didn't realize until later that when bullock was attacked by that native and killed him. The pyre they put him on was the one for the native whose head was brought into camp.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The fight between Dan and the captain was almost too much for me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Roman Reigns posted:

The Gem looks like it got a bit of an upgrade since we last saw it.

Seth is full blown Kurt Russell-Wyatt Earp now.

In real life, I believe the Gem had burned down between the show ending and the movie.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I just watched it all a month ago and I want to watch it all over again. I still can't believe how good the show is. Nearly every line of dialogue is a masterpiece.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Getting hunted by cajuns is an old PI trick.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yeah, the hosed up thing about horse racing is that it is so dangerous for the horses that even ~pretending~ to do is often fatal to the animals. The instinct to run in horses is overwhelming, the fastest ones barely pick up their hooves (which leads to stumbling/tripping), and they will literally kill themselves to stay with the pack.

Thirding Luck being good, except for its murderous production... :smith:

"She's bad about stumbling while pulling up. She doesn't pick her feet up very high. It's one reason she could run very fast and far. She had the perfect motion for being effective and efficient. However, those horses who do that have a tendency to want to stumble."

Jesus christ. If a horse tends to stumble, and stumbling can cause fatal injuries to their fragile legs, then don't run that loving horse. I don't want to be full PETA, but maybe if you are breeding an animal to the point that it is at great risk of fatal injury, don't do that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

You literally just described the entire horse-racing industry...they only select the horses like that because they have the fastest gait.

Honestly, I'm surprised when shows like Deadwood have horses in them for how clumsy and dangerous they are...

Yeah, I'm talking about the horse racing industry. Race horses are bred to have spindly little legs that let them run faster and also leaves them at massive risk of injury. Regular horses are still pretty fragile, but can handle being a bit clumsy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Cy is used to being a bit smarter than all the other idiots. He also had the help of smart people like Joanie and Eddie. I assume they let him be the leader because he's dangerous and has what it takes to be the face of the operation. Once those two abandon him, all he has is being a loudmouth idiot. It really shows that he's almost done because his only confidant is Leon, a dopehead. He also vents to that one whore who he calls stupid or whatever. He has nothing left and he's trying to pull one over on Hearst.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

This rings a bell. What's this from?

The Rowboat cop from Dexter.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

I never watched Dexter. Was it regularly joked about on anything else?

It pops up in other threads from time to time. Maybe someone has said it coincidentally, but the "*blank* is an old PI trick" joke is from the Dexter thread.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Farnum, twice measured. Star, once cut.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

That's weird it's not on there. I saw it on Blu-Ray just the other day and thought about picking it up at some point.

Are you sure it was From the Earth to the Moon? I don't think it was ever released on Blu Ray. The effects were made for SD TV, so they would probably have to redo them. To be honest, the effects weren't that great, and if they could redo them to modern standards, I'd probably buy it. Also, just release it as 4:3 like ST TNG. Cutting out bits just to make it widescreen is as bad as pan and scan to make things full screen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
For the most part, they were ok, but there was one scene where a LM is flying over the moon and it looks like a cardboard cutout is being moved across the camera.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
"I've done some marvel stuff, so I want my own project."
"Ok"
"Ok, so the main character is this manic pixie dream gir-"
"Pass."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Uhhhhh

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Didn't the Westworld set burn up in the fires last year?

The set of the old town that was buried burned down. The main town didn't.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Your Gay Uncle posted:

CALAMITY JANE AT 0:36 COCKSUCKERS!!!!

Be brief

Be hosed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is Hearst now a San Francisco cock sucka?