Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
It's not April, so this must be real! I guess they finally worked out the kinks and are getting this off the ground. Official posts went up about 45 minutes ago:

https://www.hbo.com/deadwood/movie-what-to-know-so-far.html posted:

Here’s the most up-to-date information about the long-awaited Deadwood film, based on the Golden Globe and Emmy-winning series .

What’s it about?
The movie comes nearly 13 years after the drama concluded in 2006 and follows the 10-year reunion of the camp to celebrate South Dakota's statehood. Former rivalries are reignited, alliances are tested and old wounds are reopened, as all are left to navigate the inevitable changes that modernity and time have wrought.

When will it premiere?
The film is set to premiere in 2019 on HBO, HBO NOW, HBO GO and HBO On Demand.

Who’s in it?
Returning to Deadwood are Ian McShane (Ray Donovan, American Gods) as the foul-mouthed saloon owner Al Swearengen; Timothy Olyphant (Justified, Santa Clara Diet) as Deadwood sheriff Seth Bullock; Molly Parker (House of Cards) as the widowed Alma Ellsworth; Paula Malcomson at Trixie; John Hawkes as Sol Starr; Anna Gunn (Breaking Bad) as Mrs. Bullock; Dayton Callie as Charlie Utter; Brad Dourif as Doc Cochran; and Robin Weigert (Big Little Lies) as Calamity Jane Canary; William Sanderson as E.B. Farnum; Kim Dickens as Joanie Stubbs; and Gerald McRaney as George Hearst.

The film will also feature new cast member Jade Pettyjohn as Caroline.

What’s happening behind the scenes?
The script hails from series creator David Milch. Daniel Minahan — whose TV credits include Game of Thrones, True Blood and Six Feet Under — will direct. The film is executive produced by Milch, Carolyn Strauss, Minahan, Gregg Fienberg, Scott Stephens, Ian McShane and Timothy Olyphant.

tl;dr- Much of the main cast (that still lives :rip:) is returning. Looks like it will be set a decade or so after the show's end, with everybody returning to celebrate Statehood.

Confirmed Returning:

Ian McShane as Al Swearengen

Timothy Olyphant as Seth Bullock

Molly Parker as Alma Ellsworth

Paula Malcomson as Trixie

John Hawkes as Sol Starr

Anna Gunn as Mrs. Bullock

Dayton Callie as Charlie Utter

Brad Dourif as Doc Cochran

Robin Weigert as Calamity Jane Canary

William Sanderson as E.B. Farnum

Kim Dickens as Joanie Stubbs

Gerald McRaney as George Hearst

There's also this from Deadline that says production started last month:
https://deadline.com/2018/11/deadwood-movie-begins-production-hbo-david-milch-1202496154/

:woop:
I'm stoked!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
WHITE

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
COCKSUCKAS

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Astroman posted:

Where have you seen Olyphant confirmed? Last time I checked there was no confirmation with any news source and he was the only one not listed on the imdb.

HBO said so on their website thingy. He said he wanted to do it and hang out with the old gang again...what else does he have to do? :shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

LividLiquid posted:

I've seen it four times on various rewatches and it never gets less traumatizing.

:member: when he poked out that dude's eye :eyepop:

I loved the dialogue on this show and hope they do something fun with it in the movie...I also get a kick out of thinking how they all would have really cursed in historical Deadwood: ala Yosemite Sam. :laugh:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Troy Queef posted:

Milch said he actually filmed a pilot with period swearing, but when he showed it to a test audience they all laughed at some of the words they said back then. In order to keep the shock value of a lawless mining camp intact, he fuckin' decided to have these cocksuckers swear like fuckin' sailors.

(Also I'm midway through Season 2 of a re-watch. God, Francis Wolcott was just a great villain.)

I really enjoy that actor in everything I’ve seen him in, including T:SCC.

If anyone hasn’t seen The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, I highly recommend!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Astroman posted:

This needs to be a DVD extra post loving haste.

I enjoyed him in Deadwood, Deadwood, T:SCC, T:SCC, and T:SCC myself. He's also the best thing about Fear the Walking Dead (besides Strand).

:golfclap:

I watched an episode of Fear just to see him. :hfive:

Jerusalem posted:

Just randomly remembered the "filthy degenerate" who pays each morning to come in and lick some titties before running out of the Gem :xd:

Hey! That guy pays everyday! :clint:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Phenotype posted:

Is there any good example of what the actual swearing should have been like in that period? I cant imagine the filthy-mouthed miners being satisfied with "dang" and "tarnation" after watching Deadwood. The fuckin cocksuckin just rolls off their tongues so well it's almost poetic.

It would have literally been Yosemite Sam: a charicature of a ‘49er!
http://buddiesinthesaddle.blogspot.com/2013/08/old-west-cuss-words.html?m=1

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

seaborgium posted:

No, you're right. I think they're just confused. She wasn't some horrific wife in Deadwood either, she married Bullock because it was generally required that a woman with a child have a husband and her brother-in-law was expected to take care of her after her husband died. Neither one was really happy with the whole situation. Didn't help Bullock kept loving the widow Garret either.

I loved how Al constantly felt the need/duty to reign-in Bullock’s irrationality w/r/t Alma and her myriad problems.
:allears:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

fawning deference posted:

"I ain't learnin some new doc's fuckin quirks" is astounding as a line in how vulgar it is and how sweet it is simultaneously. As much as they poo poo on each other, these people still love each other.

When the preacher died... :smith:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I'm reminded of when Carnivale bought a period bulldozer for one scene. :allears:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Troy Queef posted:

The best part about that scene, if you have kids especially, was that the kids he killed are Beast Boy and Princess Anna.

Cojawfee posted:

WTF that was Kristen Bell?

:psyboom:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Jerusalem posted:

Bryan Fuller is such a fan of Deadwood that he created a lengthy history of getting hosed over by studios, just so American Gods season 2 would be cursed and McShane would want to get the hell out of there :patriot:

AG was the real backdoor pilot for this! :v:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Professor Shark posted:

Speaking of endings, I just finished the Season 1 finale. It's insanely good, and I think the best finale to a season I've ever seen.

I think I watched this show for the first time too young. I wanted blood and back-stabbing, the show appeals to me more now.

I think this may be TV’s Don Quixote for how well the rewatches hold up.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Rocksicles posted:

That Spanish guy... he fought the windmills?

The anecdote goes that you read Don Quixote as a young man and it's a comedy. Read it in middle-age and the first half is funny, but the second half is sad. Read it when you're retired and it's a tragedy.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

kaworu posted:

edit: Quick pronunciation question: I know that Quixote is pronounced "Key-Ho-Tay" (more or less, anyway) but what about the word 'quixotic'? I always pronounced it as "Quick-Sot-Ick" (again more or less) but now I am wondering whether the odd (for English) pronunciation holds true; maybe it's "Key-Hot-Ick" or something..

Basically, the difference the Quixote (key-HO-tay) and quixotic (QUICKS-ah-tick) is mostly down to English being a silly language that steals words from other languages because it’s too lazy to make its own!
:eng101:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

-Blackadder- posted:

Now if only they'd bring back Carnivale.

Like, I'm not even joking, no other show has made me fiend for another season more than that one. That cliffhanger was absolutely brutal.

Be still, my heart. :swoon:

I doubt that could ever happen, though...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
By the end of the Civil War, it looked much like things would through WWI: trench warfare, machine guns, trains supplying soldiers as fast as they can be killed, all of it.

Except for the uniforms, pictures from the end of the Civil War look just like the battlefields of France...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I remember Gettysburg and Gods and Generals being well done period pieces, but I honestly haven't seen either one in 15 years... :ohdear:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Grand Fromage posted:

Gettysburg is very good. Gods and Generals is... not so much. Gettysburg, Glory, and Lincoln are the best Civil War movies. Good as movies and all reasonably historically accurate.

Denzel Washington in Glory though... :swoon:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

kaworu posted:

Again, maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic, too. But I cannot think of anything more incredibly romantic than deciding to break the bonds of an entire people out of an intense and sincere love for one of them. What is more romantic than declaring, "I will free you and all the people here like you in the same situation!" and actually doing it?

Didn't the Emancipation Proclomation only apply to slaves in rebel states? Pretty sure slavery was still legal in the north until the war ended.

I thought that the historical consensus was that Lincoln didn't care much about slavery being legal or not, but cared very much about preserving the Union.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
He is so detestably loveable. :allears:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

LividLiquid posted:

I have the same condition. See also: Hugh Laurie.

Add Andrew Lincoln to that list.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
relevant:
https://twitter.com/Bro_Pair/status/1071208240292147200

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Al also killed an innocent woman to save Trixie's life, so it's not like he was all silver-lining. :shrug:

Tolliver was just a sadist, though...he murdered the poo poo out of Kristen Bell. :stonkhat:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

fawning deference posted:

It's a perfect representation of a classic problem of moral philosophy. If you were in his position, do you really think you would be 100% dispassionate and sacrifice someone who is very close to him who everyone knows in the camp or a total stranger? We would all do this given the option. We would all kill a stranger instead of our significant other or parent or brother or best friend if it had to be one of the two with no other option.

It wasn't a stranger, iirc, it was one of the girls working for him, and tbf Trixie deserved to pay the price for what she did rather than someone innocent of the crime.

Tolliver is literally the devil, but Al isn't a good guy either.

Cojawfee posted:

Did he have the girl's family killed? Even in private it seemed like he wanted to know who did it.

His goons did it and he chided them for getting caught, not the deed itself. Something along the lines of 'no witnesses next time.' Everyone was worried he would have the girl killed, and he nearly did.
:shrug:

One of the rewatchers will remember better...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Cojawfee posted:

The guy played by Nick Offerman I think was just doing road agent stuff on his own without Al knowing. That's why Al had them all killed, and then offered money for an Indian head to calm everyone down. Also, I didn't realize until later that when bullock was attacked by that native and killed him. The pyre they put him on was the one for the native whose head was brought into camp.

It’s one of the reasons Bullock feels extra guilty for killing the guy: not only was he just trying to bury his friend, but Seth set in motion the events which led to both of their deaths...
:smith:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
The two big differences for most of the people who got it as bad/worse than those two:
1) They had a ~chance~ to give as good as they got (Bullock's various fights, Dan and the Captain, Al and Bullock)
2) The person doing the murdering/beating did not take pleasure in it.

Those two things make that one of the most disturbing scenes in the show, for me.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I’m going to be honest: part of me still didn’t believe this was real until today...
:allears:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Also, that's a mighty fine dongle on his pocketwatch chain and ~of course~ Bullock buttons the bottom of his waistcoat. :laugh:

(it actually wouldn't become fashionable for another 10 years to leave it unbuttoned...)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Cojawfee posted:

I just watched it all a month ago and I want to watch it all over again. I still can't believe how good the show is. Nearly every line of dialogue is a masterpiece.

I can't imagine the pressure (and fun) they had in the writer's room for this new script... :sweatdrop:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Solice Kirsk posted:

Show killed way less horses than actual horse racing. The fact it got shut down is loving hilarious.

Yeah, the hosed up thing about horse racing is that it is so dangerous for the horses that even ~pretending~ to do is often fatal to the animals. The instinct to run in horses is overwhelming, the fastest ones barely pick up their hooves (which leads to stumbling/tripping), and they will literally kill themselves to stay with the pack.

Thirding Luck being good, except for its murderous production... :smith:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Cojawfee posted:

"She's bad about stumbling while pulling up. She doesn't pick her feet up very high. It's one reason she could run very fast and far. She had the perfect motion for being effective and efficient. However, those horses who do that have a tendency to want to stumble."

Jesus christ. If a horse tends to stumble, and stumbling can cause fatal injuries to their fragile legs, then don't run that loving horse. I don't want to be full PETA, but maybe if you are breeding an animal to the point that it is at great risk of fatal injury, don't do that.

You literally just described the entire horse-racing industry...they only select the horses like that because they have the fastest gait.

Honestly, I'm surprised when shows like Deadwood have horses in them for how clumsy and dangerous they are...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Astroman posted:

And is Al...in Denver? :ohdear: HISTORICAL SPOILERS!

All of the characters are coming back to Deadwood to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Statehood!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

screaden posted:

Don't mean to double post but W Earl Brown just linked this on Twitter

https://youtu.be/Ow1syxQ_jls

:drat:
:perfect:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Escobarbarian posted:

Got back on my rewatch and Tom Nuttall on the bike is such a beautiful moment

Yeah...until... :smith:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

HanabaL03 posted:

From what I remember wasn't it also silent? No music, all you heard were the grunts of two men fighting in the mud.

God drat what a scene.

Yeah, it’s one of the things that makes that scene so visceral. It’s been copied endlessly, since, and I think The Wire popularized the gimmick, but given how we consume media - it is always effective.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Solice Kirsk posted:

Are you talking about when they shot Wallace?

Basically the whole series, which had no non-ambient music.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Less than 4 months to premier!! :aaaaa:

https://deadline.com/2019/02/deadwood-movie-premiere-date-spring-2019-1202553319/amp/

quote:

When HBO Programming President Casey Bloys last July announced that the long-in-the-works Deadwood movie has finally been greenlighted, his guess was that the film might debut in Spring 2019. That had been the target premiere date, and I hear it has now been firmed up. David Milch’s Deadwood followup will debut this spring and will be eligible for the 2019 Primetime Emmy Awards.
:popeye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Carnivale was so good and I'm glad it's finally on HBOGo/Now, but I wish it had kept going.

Also, why isn't From the Earth to the Moon anywhere? :confused: