Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Welcome goonlings to the Awful Book of the Month!
In this thread, we choose one work of literature absolute crap and read/discuss it over a month. If you have any suggestions of books, choose something that will be appreciated by many people, and has many avenues of discussion. We'd also appreciate if it were a work of literature complete drivel that is easily located from a local library or book shop, as opposed to ordering something second hand off the internet and missing out on a week's worth of reading. Better yet, books available on e-readers.

Resources:

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM me. :siren:

Past Books of the Month

[for BOTM before 2015, refer to archives]

2015:
January: Italo Calvino -- Invisible Cities
February: Karl Ove Knausgaard -- My Struggle: Book 1.
March: Knut Hamsun -- Hunger
April: Liu Cixin -- 三体 ( The Three-Body Problem)
May: John Steinbeck -- Cannery Row
June: Truman Capote -- In Cold Blood
(Hiatus)
August: Ta-Nehisi Coates -- Between the World and Me
September: Wilkie Collins -- The Moonstone
October:Seth Dickinson -- The Traitor Baru Cormorant
November:Svetlana Alexievich -- Voices from Chernobyl
December: Michael Chabon -- Gentlemen of the Road

2016:
January: Three Men in a Boat (To say nothing of the Dog!) by Jerome K. Jerome
February:The March Up Country (The Anabasis) of Xenophon
March: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
April: Plain Tales from the Hills by Rudyard Kipling
May: Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima
June:The Vegetarian by Han Kang
July:Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees
August: Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
September:Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
October:Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
November:Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
December: It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis

2017:
January: Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut
February: The Plague by Albert Camus
March: The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin
April: The Conference of the Birds (مقامات الطیور) by Farid ud-Din Attar
May: I, Claudius by Robert Graves
June: Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky
July: Ficcionies by Jorge Luis Borges
August: My Life and Hard Times by James Thurber
September: The Peregrine by J.A. Baker
October: Blackwater Vol. I: The Flood by Michael McDowell
November: Aquarium by David Vann
December: Sir Gawaine and the Green Knight [Author Unknown]

January: Njal's Saga [Author Unknown]
February: The Sign of the Four by Arthur Conan Doyle
March: Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders
April: Twenty Days of Turin by Giorgio de Maria
May: Lectures on Literature by Vladimir Nabokov
June: The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe
July: Warlock by Oakley Hall
August: All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriott
September: The Magus by John Fowles
October: I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara

Current: Arcadia by Tom Stoppard

Book available here:

https://www.amazon.com/Arcadia-Play-Tom-Stoppard/dp/0571169341

Or here: https://theliterat.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/arcadia.pdf

About the book:

quote:

THOMASINA: Septimus, what is carnal embrace?
SEPTIMUS: Carnal embrace is the practice of throwing one's arms around a side of beef.
THOMASINA: Is that all?
SEPTIMUS: No ... a shoulder of mutton, a haunch of venison well hugged, an embrace of grouse . . . caro, carnis; feminine; flesh.

quote:

Arcadia is a 1993 play by Tom Stoppard concerning the relationship between past and present, order and disorder, certainty and uncertainty. It has been praised by many critics as the finest play from one of the most significant contemporary playwrights in the English language.[1] In 2006, the Royal Institution of Great Britain named it one of the best science-related works ever written.[2]

quote:

Arcadia is set in Sidley Park, an English country house in Derbyshire, and takes place in both 1809/1812 and the present day (1993 in the original production). The activities of two modern scholars and the house's current residents are juxtaposed with those of the people who lived there in the earlier period.

In 1809, Thomasina Coverly, the daughter of the house, is a precocious teenager with ideas about mathematics, nature and physics well ahead of her time. She studies with her tutor Septimus Hodge, a friend of Lord Byron (an unseen guest in the house). In the present, writer Hannah Jarvis and literature professor Bernard Nightingale converge on the house: she is investigating a hermit who once lived on the grounds; he is researching a mysterious chapter in the life of Byron. As their studies unfold – with the help of Valentine Coverly, a post-graduate student in mathematical biology – the truth about what happened in Thomasina's time is gradually revealed.

The play's set features a large table, used by the characters in both past and present. Props are not removed when the play switches time period; books, coffee mugs, quill pens, portfolios, and laptop computers appear together, blurring past and present. An ancient but still living tortoise also appears in every scene, symbolising long-suffering endurance and the continuity of existence.

quote:

This year is the twentieth anniversary of Tom Stoppard’s amazing play “Arcadia,” which opened at London’s Royal National Theatre. Actually, it seems ironic and maybe even a little trifling to attach dates to a play in which time is so supple and elusive a medium. The scenes in “Arcadia” alternate between the present day and the early nineteenth century. The sizable wall of years separating the two becomes, as the play progresses, increasingly permeable. “Arcadia” concludes with two pairs of dancers onstage, one of them contemporary and one belonging to the era of Byron and Keats. The four waltzers are united by the strains of a single melody.

. . .

The play is, then, a sort of Dance to the Music of Time, inevitably calling up Anthony Powell’s twelve-volume novel of that name. But on my most recent trip to “Arcadia”—a terrific production at the Shaw Festival, in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario—I kept sensing a closer kinship with something lighter and far briefer: Irving Berlin’s beautiful song “Let’s Face the Music and Dance.” (I’d like to think Stoppard would approve of the association. Popular music occupies a central place in his oeuvre.) Berlin’s ballad was introduced by Fred Astaire in “Follow the Fleet” (1936), and it’s a little masterpiece of light-footed gravity—exactly weighted to Astaire’s buoyant genius. Like a number of seemingly bright and affirmative Berlin songs (“Blue Skies,” “How Deep Is the Ocean”), it trails a lengthening shadow of melancholy. (Let’s dance, the song urges, “before the fiddlers have fled / before they ask us to pay the bill.”) A similar darkness gathers over “Arcadia,” which in its first couple of scenes might be mistaken for a straight-up comedy or even a farce.

https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/tom-stoppards-arcadia-at-twenty

About the Author

quote:

Sir Tom Stoppard OM CBE FRSL (born Tomáš Straussler; 3 July 1937) is a Czech-born British playwright and screenwriter.[1] He has written prolifically for TV, radio, film and stage, finding prominence with plays such as Arcadia, The Coast of Utopia, Every Good Boy Deserves Favour, Professional Foul, The Real Thing, and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. He co-wrote the screenplays for Brazil, The Russia House, and Shakespeare in Love, and has received one Academy Award and four Tony Awards.[2] His work covers the themes of human rights, censorship and political freedom, often delving into the deeper philosophical thematics of society. Stoppard has been a key playwright of the National Theatre and is one of the most internationally performed dramatists of his generation.[3] In 2008, The Daily Telegraph ranked him number 11 in their list of the "100 most powerful people in British culture".[4]

quote:

LONDON (Reuters) - Tom Stoppard was given a special award as “the greatest living playwright” on Sunday at the 60th London Evening Standard Theatre Awards in recognition of more than a half century of work that has won him an Academy Award and four Tony Awards.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-theatre/stoppard-called-greatest-living-playwright-at-london-theatre-awards-idUKKCN0JE0VR20141130

quote:

It is a mistake to assume that plays are the end products of ideas (which would be limiting): the ideas are the end products of the plays.
I write plays because dialogue is the most respectable way of contradicting myself.
—Tom Stoppard in The New Yorker (1977)

Themes

quote:

The Second Law of Thermodynamics, with its entropic vision of a running-down universe aeons and aeons hence, may seem an impossibly remote prospect for a literary sensibility to focus on productively.

Pacing

Read as thou wilt is the whole of the law.

Please post after you read!

Please bookmark the thread to encourage discussion.

References and Further Reading

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Et_in_Arcadia_ego

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Byron

Interview of Tom Stoppard by Charlie Rose where he discusses the play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEmK_Tumgr4

There are a number of crappy recordings of the stage show on youtube but I haven't found a high quality film version yet.

Detailed set of in-depth materials about the original production: http://www.act-sf.org/content/dam/act/education_department/words_on_plays/Arcadia%20Words%20on%20Plays%20(2013).pdf

Final Note:

Thanks, and I hope everyone enjoys the book! (Or, in this case, the play).

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I'll have it from the library tonight, though it'll be waiting until after I finish this new Mosley book.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The nice thing about this one is that it's a fairly short play.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Libby has an audio version of the play with the L.A. Theater Works full-cast performance. It's 3 hours, and free (with a library card), if anyone would like to listen to the performances in addition to reading it.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
read it today. its fantastic and beautiful. will post more at some point

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

chernobyl kinsman posted:

read it today. its fantastic and beautiful. will post more at some point

One reason I picked this one is that (by virtue of a school trip back in the day) I was able to see the original Broadway production of it. Just a brilliant show. When she picks up the candle at the end of the play, and all the lights dim down so it looks like just that candle is lighting the whole stage .. .

The other contrast that doesn't always come through when reading the play is the marked difference in costuming and dialogue between the historical and modern characters. You go from regency fashion to . . . people just slumming in blue jeans and sweats and sneakers. . .

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Just got it from the library, I'm excited to read it because I know so little about english (language) theatre outside of Shakespeare and mass-produced broadway musicals that I wasn't sure of its existance.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

cebrail posted:

Just got it from the library, I'm excited to read it because I know so little about english (language) theatre outside of Shakespeare and mass-produced broadway musicals that I wasn't sure of its existance.

This is a really good place to start. Stoppard is [now that Edward Albee is dead, anyway] at least arguably the greatest living english-language playwright (imho the argument is between him and Mamet, but I'm probably forgetting some others).

Most of Stoppard's reputation rests on Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, which is an absurdist, existentialist retelling of Hamlet from the viewpoint of two minor characters who die off-screen. It's gobsmackingly brilliant and funny but also fierce and brutal and it does a full on face tackle of the problem of existentialist despair -- sortof a more literary, metafictional version of Waiting for Godot.

This is a very very different play and while it doesn't get the attention of RaGaD, Arcadia is my personal favorite of Stoppard's works (at least of those I've read or seen performed). It's this crafted polished little gem and it just shines.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 7, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

quote:

Is Tom Stoppard's Arcadia the greatest play of our age?

What will endure from the plays of the late 20th century? Already, the theatre that caused the greatest fuss at the time – the in-yer-face shockers by Mark Ravenhill, Martin McDonagh and friends – look flashy and shallow and strangely dated; only Sarah Kane's psychological slashing seems to have survived from this flashing pack of playwrights. Yet one genre seems to have solidified as the decades pass into bona fide masterpieces, and will perhaps define that period: the play of ideas.

It looks now like the theatre from the 1980s and 1990s that tried to dramatise the great intellectual mudslides and forest fires of its time has thrived better than any other – from Michael Frayn's Copenhagen to Caryl Churchill's Top Girls to Terry Johnson's Insignificance. Using the old theatrical forms of the comedy or the thriller, they ask the most profound questions – what is human life for, and how it should it be lived? Standing above them all, making the case for the entire genre, is perhaps the greatest play of its time: Arcadia by Tom Stoppard.

As it is about to have its first major revival in the West End since its premiere in 1993 – starring Stoppard's own son, Ed – the vindication of Arcadia seems close at hand. Yet Stoppard compresses so many ideas and guffaws and griefs into less than three hours that any attempt at a summary of the play will sound paradoxical. It is an English country-house farce about the death of the universe. It is a laugh-filled tragedy about what happens if you take the intoxicants of poetry and science seriously. It is a play where Stoppard turns himself into a clown whose juggling balls are Romanticism, Classicism, and the meaning of life.

. . . . .

full article contains heavy spoilers

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/theatre-dance/features/is-tom-stoppards-arcadia-the-greatest-play-of-our-age-1688852.html

A webpage about the mathematics of Arcadia, put together by a math professor:

quote:

What Thomasina has discovered and what Valentine is trying to explain is what is now commonly called the "Chaos Game." The game proceeds in its simplest formulation as follows. Place three dots at the vertices of a triangle. Color the top vertex red, the lower left green, and the lower right blue. Then take a die and color two faces red, two green, and two blue.

To play the game, you need a seed, an arbitrary starting point in the plane. Starting with this point, the algorithm is: Roll the die, then depending upon which color comes up, move your point half the distance toward the appropriate colored vertex. Then iterate, i.e., repeat this process, using the terminal point of the previous move as the seed for the next. Do not plot the first 15 (or so) points generated by this algorithm, but after these few initial moves, begin to record each and every point. For example, Figure 1 shows the moves associated to rolling red, green, blue, and blue in order.

Provided that you have a browser that supports Java, you can play this game interactively on the web, courtesy of the Boston University Dynamical Systems and Technology Project. Click here to activate the game. The game "wakes up" with three vertices as above, though you can change this to play many other variations on the chaos game.

For leaf-making purposes, it is best to rework this algorithm in a slightly different form. Begin with a square in the plane, and put the red vertex in the center of the top side of the square, and the other two vertices at the lower vertices. The algorithm then linearly contracts all points in the original square into one of three smaller subsquares by moving half the distance toward the vertex in each subsquare. This can be visualized in Figure 2 as follows. Imagine what happens to the entire Sierpinski triangle as you contract toward each of the vertices. The result is the portion of the triangle colored red, green, or blue in that image.

http://math.bu.edu/DYSYS/arcadia/sect2.html

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 10, 2018

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
while I preferred R&G when i finally got around to it, arcadia was somehow the first stoppard that i read (and i've never seen it performed somehow). i remember reading it in high school and being blown away but it's a little bit less rosy this time around.

i remembered bernard as a run-of-the-mill blowhard rather than the lumbering embodiment of most of the things i detest about the academy, for instance.

also stoppard intentionally muddles chaos theory, fractals, and recurrence relationships as being all aspects the same mathematical phenomena and that bugs me just a tad.

these are not criticisms of stoppard necessarily as much as they are criticisms of the joyless pedant i grew up to be.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Ben Nevis posted:

I'll have it from the library tonight, though it'll be waiting until after I finish this new Mosley book.

Just finished Arcadia, and I rather enjoyed it. One aspect, not really mentioned in reviews or summaries I've read, dovetailed nicely with the Mosley (John Woman) is the view of history as unknown and unknowable. I'm enjoying reading about this after the fact for the bits I didn't pick up on.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Tree Goat posted:

while I preferred R&G when i finally got around to it, arcadia was somehow the first stoppard that i read (and i've never seen it performed somehow). i remember reading it in high school and being blown away but it's a little bit less rosy this time around.

Yeah I'm kinda wondering if it isn't basically the ideal high school /college play, the perfect introduction to the compare and contrast essay, especially if you focus on the romantic / enlightenment split.

I think it's more interesting as an affirmative response to RaGaD's philosophical negative, though.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 14, 2018

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ben Nevis posted:

Just finished Arcadia, and I rather enjoyed it. One aspect, not really mentioned in reviews or summaries I've read, dovetailed nicely with the Mosley (John Woman) is the view of history as unknown and unknowable. I'm enjoying reading about this after the fact for the bits I didn't pick up on.

i don't know about unknowable; Hannah does eventually figure out what happened with Thomasina and Septimus. she's right about pretty much everything, in fact, including that the drawing is by Fuseli, and it being of Lamb and Byron. but problems of interpretation - correct knowledge - are certainly central to the text. the first scene plays with this a lot; the best example is probably the risque banter when it sounds to lady coverly like septimus has slept with thomasina.

that bit and others are funny to us because we know what's going on, so we can laugh at the characters' incorrect interpretation, but Stoppard turns that around at the end of act 2: chloe tells hannah that her 'genius brother' is in love with her, and we (or at least I) and hannah both assume that's referring to valentine, the postgrad. the last action in the scene, though, is us being proved wrong, when it's revealed that chloe was referring to gus

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

i don't know about unknowable; Hannah does eventually figure out what happened with Thomasina and Septimus. she's right about pretty much everything, in fact, including that the drawing is by Fuseli, and it being of Lamb and Byron. but problems of interpretation - correct knowledge - are certainly central to the text. the first scene plays with this a lot; the best example is probably the risque banter when it sounds to lady coverly like septimus has slept with thomasina.

that bit and others are funny to us because we know what's going on, so we can laugh at the characters' incorrect interpretation, but Stoppard turns that around at the end of act 2: chloe tells hannah that her 'genius brother' is in love with her, and we (or at least I) and hannah both assume that's referring to valentine, the postgrad. the last action in the scene, though, is us being proved wrong, when it's revealed that chloe was referring to gus

Hannah figures out what happened, but acknowledges that she can't prove it. It's only because we have the earlier view that we know that. Even so, we're at the point were yet another historical note may turn up and change the complexion of the whole thing. It's the compliment to Valentine's grouse, knowing the endpoint doesn't necessarily make it easier to determine the starting point or what happened along the way.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I definitely prefer R&G and in my imagination there's a universe where the film version of that came AFTER he got mega mainstream famous for Shakespeare In Love and it was huge.

Also never forget to remember that Stoppard was brought in to punch up the dialogue for Revenge of the Sith, a fact that slots neatly into the theory I came up with in the mid 90s while watching Star Wars on mushrooms that R2D2 and C3P0 are the Ros and Guil of Star Wars

precision fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 16, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

precision posted:

Also never forget to remember that Stoppard was brought in to punch up the dialogue for Revenge of the Sith,

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

precision posted:

I definitely prefer R&G and in my imagination there's a universe where the film version of that came AFTER he got mega mainstream famous for Shakespeare In Love and it was huge.

Also never forget to remember that Stoppard was brought in to punch up the dialogue for Revenge of the Sith, a fact that slots neatly into the theory I came up with in the mid 90s while watching Star Wars on mushrooms that R2D2 and C3P0 are the Ros and Guil of Star Wars

stoppard is directly to blame for the lion king 1 1/2

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tree Goat posted:

stoppard is directly to blame for the lion king 1 1/2

yikes

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

He also punched up Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. “We are pilgrims in an unholy land,” is a line that is WAY too good for the rest of the movie.

They play was hard to read, I didn’t make it through. Is there a decent recording of a performance?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah, Franchescanando linked a free recording of a performance above, you need a library card though.

I had no idea Stoppard did this much revision to Last Crusade:

quote:

Between an undated "Amblin" revision and a rewrite by Tom Stoppard (under the pen name Barry Watson) dated May 8, 1988,[6] further changes were made. Stoppard polished most of the dialogue,[9][19] and created the "Panama Hat" character to link the prologue's segments featuring the young and adult Indianas. The Venetian family is cut. Kemal is renamed Kazim and now wants to protect the grail rather than find it. Chandler is renamed Donovan. The scene of Brody being captured is added. Vogel now dies in the tank, while Donovan shoots Henry and then drinks from the false grail, and Elsa falls into the chasm. The Grail trials are expanded to include the stone-stepping and leap of faith.[6][20]

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Last Crusade is actually classic Stoppard, once you're looking for it. Somebody could :zizek: the way its themes cut across multiple levels and make some real hay.

This really feels like a play that needs to be seen, much like R&G are Dead

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
I saw the play during college over 15 years ago, and reading it now I'm getting a lot more out of it. Probably because I finally understand all the math references. But also yeah, what Tree Goat said about muddling thermodynamics and fractals and whatnot--still confusing.

I loved all the threads between future past, like how Bernard says something about the platonic ideal of a letter probably existing (that would prove his theory right) probably getting burnt, and then Septimus burning a letter that you just knew would prove the opposite, but never telling the audience what it actually said.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

With apologies to the guys who trawl the board looking for genre fiction to insult, this link explains how Stoppard was able to turn a mediocre screenplay into quality entertainment.

https://creativescreenwriting.com/indiana-jones-and-the-last-crusade-learning-from-stoppard/

Tying together the father and son, and their reconciliation, with the quest for the physical Grail, which itself represents illumination/enlightenment, was smart. But it’s the snappy dialogue and pacing, which the super smart Lit people dismiss as workman’s craft, that shows Stoppard really gets story.

R&G is a good example of his dialogue. Hell, the 90s film Maverick, written by the late W Goldman, has the same level of quality, character-based banter that makes visual media pop so well.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

poisonpill posted:

But it’s the snappy dialogue and pacing, which the super smart Lit people dismiss as workman’s craft

what the hell are you talking about lmao

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Read the link or don’t I don’t care

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
no i don't give a poo poo about indiana jones i want to know what you're on about w/r/t "lit people" disregarding dialogue as "workman's craft". i'm particularly interested in what the hell you think that last bit means and why you think the "lit people" are dismissive of it, when e.g. Mel has continually stressed the importance of craft

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure the lit thread regulars post (irregularly) in a thread dedicated to discussing prose and dialogue, both good and bad, regardless of "genre" with some pretty sweet in-depth write-ups.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Are Oscar Wilde plays “literary”? Is Double Indemnity, or Raymond Chandler? Is Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, or All the apresidents Men?

Why or why not? What parts of their craft are good, and which are just entertaining? Is there a difference? The NY Times Obit of William Goldman said that, if he hadn’t been a screenwriter with an ear for dialogue, he’d have been remembered as an also-ran second tier novelist. Do you agree?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Please recall this is the thread for discussion of a specific work of fiction, not the thread for discussing the predilections, real or supposed, of other SA posters, unless Tom Stoppard posts here

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
answer the question OP:

no i don't give a poo poo about indiana jones i want to know what you're on about w/r/t "lit people" disregarding dialogue as "workman's craft". i'm particularly interested in what the hell you think that last bit means and why you think the "lit people" are dismissive of it, when e.g. Mel has continually stressed the importance of craft

e: ok nevermind come to the lit thread and let's discuss

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I haven't finished listening/reading the play yet because work's been busy, but I was surprised with how witty and funny the first act was. I know the R&GAD is supposed to be funny, but Arcadia's premise sounded very dry at first. Pleasantly surprised that my assumptions were wrong.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

I haven't finished listening/reading the play yet because work's been busy, but I was surprised with how witty and funny the first act was. I know the R&GAD is supposed to be funny, but Arcadia's premise sounded very dry at first. Pleasantly surprised that my assumptions were wrong.

Yeah, there were surprisingly many laughs, I thought.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i've got a rear for dialogue

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah it's hilarious right out of the gate. I read this on a flight from Jamaica and kept stopping to laugh and show my wife a bit of dialogue. Septimus talking his way out of the duel in the first scene was great.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

poisonpill posted:

With apologies to the guys who trawl the board looking for genre fiction to insult, this link explains how Stoppard was able to turn a mediocre screenplay into quality entertainment.

lol

Anyway, this play is atrociously written. 0/10

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
see you in another week, botl

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Early on there's a joke about how a character's mother is proud for having read a book that's not about gardening.

This is how Tom Stoppard seems to me: someone who just read a pop history book and had to write a play about it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

see you in another week, botl

Woah, undershot that one a bit.

So I found out the other night someone in my office is in a theater group who is putting this on in Chicago (at the Greenhouse Theater Center if anyone is in the area and interested) so I am going to try and see it performed live soon.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

It took me an embarrassingly long time to find the time to read the 97 pages of this book. It's very funny indeed but I found myself thinking that it would be better to see the actual play several times because the switching between the two converging narratives would be much more interruptive. And the quickness of reading made most of the major themes appear a bit superficial. Even the main emotion vs. academia debate seemed a bit trite to me. I guess that's more a problem with the piece itself than with the format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

cebrail posted:

Even the main emotion vs. academia debate seemed a bit trite to me. I guess that's more a problem with the piece itself than with the format.

I had the same reaction, and I'd much rather watch than read a play that relies so heavily on the mise en scene as a core component of the message.

I also agree on the emotion vs. intellectual knowledge debate being cliche, and wonder if the experience of the play would be better than just reading it, maybe making it strike a better chord.

Also Indiana Jones jumps from a horse onto a tank and it kicks rear end