Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
read it today. its fantastic and beautiful. will post more at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ben Nevis posted:

Just finished Arcadia, and I rather enjoyed it. One aspect, not really mentioned in reviews or summaries I've read, dovetailed nicely with the Mosley (John Woman) is the view of history as unknown and unknowable. I'm enjoying reading about this after the fact for the bits I didn't pick up on.

i don't know about unknowable; Hannah does eventually figure out what happened with Thomasina and Septimus. she's right about pretty much everything, in fact, including that the drawing is by Fuseli, and it being of Lamb and Byron. but problems of interpretation - correct knowledge - are certainly central to the text. the first scene plays with this a lot; the best example is probably the risque banter when it sounds to lady coverly like septimus has slept with thomasina.

that bit and others are funny to us because we know what's going on, so we can laugh at the characters' incorrect interpretation, but Stoppard turns that around at the end of act 2: chloe tells hannah that her 'genius brother' is in love with her, and we (or at least I) and hannah both assume that's referring to valentine, the postgrad. the last action in the scene, though, is us being proved wrong, when it's revealed that chloe was referring to gus

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

poisonpill posted:

But it’s the snappy dialogue and pacing, which the super smart Lit people dismiss as workman’s craft

what the hell are you talking about lmao

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
no i don't give a poo poo about indiana jones i want to know what you're on about w/r/t "lit people" disregarding dialogue as "workman's craft". i'm particularly interested in what the hell you think that last bit means and why you think the "lit people" are dismissive of it, when e.g. Mel has continually stressed the importance of craft

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
answer the question OP:

chernobyl kinsman posted:

no i don't give a poo poo about indiana jones i want to know what you're on about w/r/t "lit people" disregarding dialogue as "workman's craft". i'm particularly interested in what the hell you think that last bit means and why you think the "lit people" are dismissive of it, when e.g. Mel has continually stressed the importance of craft

e: ok nevermind come to the lit thread and let's discuss

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
see you in another week, botl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat